Computer doesnt recognize speakers

I moved to japan and brought my laptop.

Bought a pair of speakers and my laptop won't recognize them. I hooked the speakers up to my phone and they worked. So I know they aren't broken.

But my laptop just doesn't recognize that I plugged anything in. I was wondering what information I would need to give you guys in order to try and help me alleviate this problem before I potentially return them.

my laptop -

MSI

intel i7-6700

windows 10 home

64-bit OS

the speakers - PSP-DPR http://www.princeton.co.jp/product/pspdpr.html

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    How do they plug in? 3.5mm jack, right?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

they have a 3.5mm jack and a USB (5V / 500mA)

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Very strange...

Does anything, a flash, a noise, anything happen when you plug them in?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Try connecting headphones to laptop to see if socket is working.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

the speakers do make that "plug in/ unplug" noise, which i imagine is just because they are getting power now.

but other than that static sort of pop noise you get from turning them on and off I don't get anything else.

But again when i plug them into my phone it works perfectly, whether its my american android phone or my japanese iphone.

is there some sort of Driver that i am missing? i dont know if these speakers require a driver or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeht View Post
    Try connecting headphones to laptop to see if socket is working.
    headphones don't seem to work either.

They do not require drivers since they use audio jack. If headphones do not work that could mean that laptop's 3.5mm socket is busted. You could also try and pick playback device in your system (if not sure which then send screenshot).
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

that is also the thing, when I plug them in, regardless of jack or USB, they do no show up on the playback device. my gaming headphones with a mic and whatnot show up when I plug them in. but when I try plugging in the speakers, they do not appear.

Quote Originally Posted by orderschvank View Post
    that is also the thing, when I plug them in, regardless of jack or USB, they do no show up on the playback device. my gaming headphones with a mic and whatnot show up when I plug them in. but when I try plugging in the speakers, they do not appear.
    Well they should not, since they are using your laptop 'sound card', and usb is just for power (so you need BOTH connected!). Check speaker icon near system clock - right click - "Playback devices", and pick "Speakers" (probably 'realtek high definition audio').

I managed to find a work-a-round

my USB headset has a separate head phone jack for reason's im not entirely sure on. but plugging the speaker's jack into it allows the sound to finally come out of the speakers so. yay lol

Well I'm quite sure it is because you are using headset usb soundcard to bypass need to change default sound device in windows. I have wireless headset which use usb dongle, and if I want to use speakers, all I have to do is unplug headset's usb dongle. It is same as you did - when you plug in usb soundcard system will set it as default. So if you would like to use 3.5mm jack sockets then you just have to change 'playback device' to whatever you have there that can send sound trough jack socket (in laptops you probably have 3 of them - laptop speakers, 'regular' soundcard on motherboard and hdmi output). You could also have some additional program which have problem with detecting that you plugged something. Well if this workaround suits you then it is it, but I'm quite sure it will be an issue in future (when headset's usb soundcard go bad or if you lose it).

as i understand your setup

Headphones with USB > Laptop -- This will create its own audio device in your Playback devices list.

Speakers via 3.5mm > Laptop -- This will NOT create its own audio device, you must use the on-board audio device to have sound coming out of here.

Speakers via Headphones with USB > Laptop -- This is using the headphones audio device, so this leads me (and those above) to assume you are trying to play stuff through your speakers (laptop audio) while still having your Headphones audio device selected.

so as above says, the USB on your speakers is to provide power and nothing else - it will not create its own audio device, the 3.5mm plugs into the on-board audio system, which you must set as default/active in windows before any sound will go through them.

if this is what you are doing and you still get no sound, your 3.5mm jack is possibly busted. but if you are happy just plugging your speakers into your headphones, carry on doing that, it's even possibly easier than swapping audio playback device every time you wanna, lol

edit: here is what it sounds like you have, that tick needs to be on the speakers. and you usually have to reopen your browser or whatever to have to use the new default

edit again: well oops i forgot to move the default device text, but you get the idea
    Last edited by the boar; 2017-04-19 at 12:58 PM.