amd drivers recently

so the last week or so there was a new amd driver i think its 17.4.3 or something like that. released yesterday maybe. beta version was out for a while.

well i have an a8 6600k and an msi r7 370, last week i ran the update and it blue screened my pc, every restart then blue screen blue screen blue screen. so i had to load into safe mode, strip all the drivers off the pc, install version 17.2.1 and it works fine horay.. kinda reluctant to even bother trying to update it again..

now my brother has a a10 7870k with an r7 250 that was in dual gpu mode (native) and today his pc starts blue screening aswell, he said he didn't update his drivers but something must have changed, anyway i managed to get 17.4.3 on his pc and it seems to be working ok again, but its no longer saying its in dual gpu mode and it seems to be just using the dedicated card. probably not a big deal he only plays wow anyway.

all in all i'm rather perplexed, i've never had problems with amd drivers but these last versions borked both our pcs both required going into safe mode to recover. just wondering if anyone else had to go through this crap recently? has anyone else had the newer amd drivers turn their pc into a temporary paper weight? or are we just unlucky?

15+ Year Old Account
    Did you use DDU to uninstall the drivers or just update them?

On to the dual gpu issue, once you update you have to go into Radeon settings and set it back up again.

i did use ddu in the end usually i just update and it goes through just fine but it really did not like being updated to the newest version.

i think my blue screen was caused by a file called atikadag.sys and my bros blue screen was from a file called atikmpag.sys similar but slightly different named files. today the a10 had a stop error like kernel_security_check_failure but after i power buttoned the thing because it hung on that screen after it booted it actually gave the new stop error along the lines of your gpu is the problem. funny thing is he was in wow when it happened, its real strange. pc loaded into windows, let him boot up the game, play around for about 20 mins and then it decided to say 'oh wait your drivers are fubar'.

for the a10 7870k my bros pc it should just natively dual with the 250, perhaps it just needs another restart or something.

i'm not too worried about the loss of the dual gpu mode i mean it was kinda cool to know it was working but i don't think it really helps that much for wow. i was just kinda wondering if it was just us that had these blue screens from updating to the newest driver.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-04-19 at 12:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny that you mention atikmdag.sys, as AMD lately has been doing some anti modded bios drivers lately. The file that people hack to get around this is atikmdag.sys. I wonder if this is AMD's DRM failing them?

its peculiar to say the least, no doubt it could be a myriad of things i know how touchy software can be, neither of us have any bloatware we don't have third party firewalls, i use adaware but i usually have realtime protection turned off because i know that can screw with some programs on occasion.

I was starting to stack up quite a few updates mind i think i had updates from pre-crimson left over in the C:/AMD folder iirc there were versions in there as far back as 15. usually though, since crimson anyway, i haven't ever needed to do a full driver wipe before an update, its pretty consistently been perfectly fine to go from one version to the next express install, away you go. perhaps this was just the one that finally wanted a wipe.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-04-19 at 12:42 PM.