Helping my dad build a pc, need help with cpu sockets.

Hello!

I'm helping my dad to get a computer that he will be able to update in the future. He is mostly interested in watching movies, using printers etc but I thought I would give him the possibility to upgrade if he finds gaming enticing (I know he liked flight sims back in the day).

This is my current cart: https://www.inet.se/kundvagn/visa/10343495/

I'm going to give him my old AMD r9 290 xfx card to go with that and I wonder if my current cpu (i5 4670k, socket LGA/intel 1150) but the mobo has the intel 1151 socket. Will my current cpu fit that mobo when I decide to replace my current cpu?

Thanks!

15+ Year Old Account
    No it wont fit.

But that setup you have in your cart will be fine for what he is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    No it wont fit.

But that setup you have in your cart will be fine for what he is doing.
    Bummer. Are there any quad cores he could upgrade to in the future for a reasonable price then?

15+ Year Old Account
    of course, he could go to a i5 7400 or 7500

of course, he could go to a i5 7400 or 7500
    Cool! You don't happen to know how far that antenna for wireless internet reaches? He shares internet with another guy on the same lot but in different houses and the modem is in the other house about 15-20 meters from my dad's.

15+ Year Old Account
    That board does not have wifi built into it.

Deleted
    You said it like it was bad thing!(which it is not) Wifi is inferior to cable in every way but convenience. I can (and does) introduce additional interference for audio, it is slower, less reliable and it is another component that could break

I assume he has standalone adapter and if he does not it would be better to buy one instead reling on built int one - better hardware better range, better speed

I'm refering to this: https://www.inet.se/produkt/5401841/...00#recensioner

Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    I wouldn't trust 802.11n to be fully stable at that distance. Mine wasn't stable at 10 meters in my house (speeds as low as 2Mbps when it worked at all), had to go diagonal through a lot of walls though. Upgrading the router to 802.11ac fixed the issue entirely; paired with 802.11ac adapters built in to my and my wife's motherboards, we're getting flawless signal ~15-18m away.
    Super casual.