Poll: Should blood elf race be playable as high elves on Alliance in exchange for nightborn

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    i'm all for more races, they need good reasoning though.

high elves should be added as a subrace, a subrace with a starting zone that shows a new high elven leader rise among the remaining high elves that sees their actions as foolish.

nightborne would be nice, but it's just not going to happen. i would like to see them, and i would like them to be more interested in quel'thalas than the night elves. but them staying neutral and having interest in and dealings with both societies works.

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer Etherals, but sure why not they can join Alliance, more lambs to the slaugther despite they are metroboys and weak mana addicts so not much of a worthy opponents (orc player here )

But jokes aside i don't think they gonna add yet another elf-race.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    I mean, I rarely do my homework when it comes to elven lore but there's even anything Nightborne and current (key word) Night Elves have in common to begin with? Because the biggest similarity I saw is the skin color.
    yes, culturally, highborne/nightborne are very different from the main kaldorei post vigil culture. It's not just nightborne, but highborne too - they are still night elf empire based, while the kaldorei have moved on from that.

but aside from them being the same people group, and the connection being their shared past. They both are nocturnal, have this fascination with the moon/stars. nightborne speak the old night elf empire language only the ancient night elves (who lived then can understand), they both come from Suramar - the majority of the sundering survivors are thes uramar night elves who pressed forward to fight azshara where a lot (not all) of the suramar highborne remained. Their art set, colour scheme are the same i.e. quel'dorei night elf and nightborne. but then nightborne are just different looking quel'dorei night elves. The connection should more be made with the highborne than the night elves, but so many people are clueless about the highborne and no ninterested - why? because you only see highborne in ruined places (Azsuna and Feralas) and so when they show the non-ruined highborne civilizaiton in Suramar, because the nightborne ahve a different model, people get confused and don't realize these are the ancient night elf folk. Even though the Suramar video makes it clear and the devs in the Suramar overview page on the official website say exactly that.

Other things you can notice ofc is their great respect for the ancestors they share. High/blood elves don't care anything for their night elven ancestors (for obvious reasons). Also notice how similar minded the nightborne rebels are in principle to the night elves. Especially Thalyssra and Tyrande - I looked at Thalyssra and thought wow ! This is Tyrande done right.

Other things you would notice are the nightborne essential have arcane versions of everything the night elves have. it's an arcane-advanced city, arcane nightsabers, arcane emphasis instead of nature.

But hey, the past is all the Kaldorei have in common with the Quel'dorei culturally and it is significant, even estranged they recognize they are kin. You hear Farondis, Thalyssra and the Moonguard all comment on their kinship despite their long separation from each other. Tyrande on the other hand initially rejects it even though it's her city and her people she goes (they are no longer my people because they chose to hide behind a wall) she seems to get a lot more approving and proud of them later on, and from her WQs you can see she definitely cares for them despite what she initially said when you first meet her. Ofc no such distinction exists in the other night elves, Farondis fully embraces the Shal'dorei as his people as he explains his orders origin to solve the affliction of the night elves (in particular the highborne) that started well over 10,000 years ago, but didn't make it in time to help Azshara.

Seeing highborne culture on such a grand stage and polished rather than in ruins makes it far easier for blood elf players to connect to their night elven roots, the similarities are not the nightborne getting them from the blood elves, but the other way around you are shown where the blood elves get some of their attributes and charectirstics, it goes all the way back to the arcane night elf empire and the highborne. Now it has a look, ofc those who read elven lore, night elven lore rather than blood elven lore would be a lot more familiar with this, it is night elven lore that deals with the night elven empire and shows the night elf connection to the blood elves. It is not in the blood elven/high elven lore which pretty much involves the Amani, the humans, the alliance, the orc invasion and the scourge. However whenever we visit the night elves, and that part of their story, with highborne, naga, nightborne, satyrs it frequently comes up and sometimes they bring the high elves and blood elves in too showing some connection.

otherwise people don't make it, as they're too alliance/horde focused and like putting in separate categories.

- - - Updated - - -

The poll is missing an option: What if you're alliance and want both nightborne and high elves on the alliance only?

and it seems two of the options are the same, but at a closer look they might not necessarily be so.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    The blood elves are the most popular race in wow, at least amongst the end gamers and legion expec players according to most realm data sites. Their alliance counterprat the high elves have been coveted since the game was introduced in 2004.

With legion introducing the new fancy night elven highborne race - the nightborne that seemed to be liked by all elven lovers alike and coveted by the blood elves ('ve never seen them show interest in night elf related stuff till now ) but since they are interested, I wonder how horde players would feel about high elves being available on the alliance side if it would mean nightborne available on the horde side.

Similarly, alliance players, seeing a potential awesome part of the night elf group being introduced in the night elf empire minded nightborne - bringing high civilization and arcane magic aspect of the night elves back into the picture - the nightborne provided a purer night based elven group, deepening and diversifying the night elf group well beyond the tree hugger tag it gained during WoW. They would be quite the boost to the night side of the elves especially with the potential for a reuinted night elvendom and all the wonder that could entail - would you as an alliance player be willing to have this cooler version of night elves available on the horde if it meant you could get playable high elves.

This is what you get
    High Elves - the games most attractive race currently now made playable on the alliance
    Nightborne - a really cool new version of night elven highborne as seen in Suramar now available on the horde.

It goes without saying that blood elves will continue on the horde, and nightborne version of night elves also available on the alliance.
    Where's the "We don't want elves on the Horde cause we're the horde and don't accept pu***** Into the horde" Option? Alliance bias! Damn undead and elves thinking they're the horde.

Nightborne could be a sub-race for night elves, but then blizzard would finally have to Implement sub-races. Brown orcs, various dwarves clans, troll tribes, tauren tribes, undead orcs? Lots of options.
    Permabanned on WoW since April 14th 2015, main acc I had since vanilla gone and trashed for no good reason, 6+ years later still banned with more appeals resulting in my BATTLENET games being suspended for a month eachtime I try making TICKETS because I'm asking for help with the perma ban. Blizzard has stopped caring for their first veteran players and would rather we leave, considering the Lawsuit, can you afford to keep peps banned even for so long under questionable circumstances?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll always vote yes for High Elves on Alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Allora View Post
    Just no. Finaly accept that High elfs are so few to be playable race
    If they are so few and if that is the reasoning we're supposed to follow, then why are they a playable class on the Horde side in the first place? It is quite clear Blizzard has no problem with how many of what race exist IC when it comes to the introduction of new races.

Blizzard will do what they want and we can either take part in the gameplay they create or not. It is innately wrong to try to justify their business model and gameplay balancing endeavors through lore reasoning.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    If they are so few and if that is the reasoning we're supposed to follow, then why are they a playable class on the Horde side in the first place? It is quite clear Blizzard has no problem with how many of what race exist IC when it comes to the introduction of new races.

Blizzard will do what they want and we can either take part in the gameplay they create or not. It is innately wrong to try to justify their business model and gameplay balancing endeavors through lore reasoning.
    Blood elf =/= High elf. There is like 10x more blood elfs then High elfs.

Blood elf =/= High elf. There is like 10x more blood elfs then High elfs.
    Where did you come with that number up?

Only a small number survived in Silvermoon and only an even smaller number survived outside, but it doesn't change the fact that they are both too few to be a playable race either way. We are talking about the most popular race on the Horde side, despite the fact that there is only a small number of them left.

Deleted

Only a small number survived in Silvermoon and only an even smaller number survived outside, but it doesn't change the fact that they are both too few to be a playable race either way.
    WoWWiki

The high elves were once a significant force on the continent, but in recent times their numbers have been dramatically reduced: 90% of their race was slaughtered in the Third War; Following this, another 90% of the survivors changed their name to "blood elves" in remembrance of their fallen brethren and no longer consider themselves high elven. Around 25,000 true high elves remain

WoWWiki

The high elves were once a significant force on the continent, but in recent times their numbers have been dramatically reduced: 90% of their race was slaughtered in the Third War; Following this, another 90% of the survivors changed their name to "blood elves" in remembrance of their fallen brethren and no longer consider themselves high elven. Around 25,000 true high elves remain
    You understand that these sources are not necessarily correct, yes?

"90%" "25.000"

You, I or anyone else could edit it to 95% and 30.000. Hell, there were tons of names and locations wrongly spelled in both. I alone corrected at least ten articles and I'm no one important or glued to the sites.

Deleted
    You understand that these sources are not necessarily correct, yes?
    If you go on WoWWiki than you will see sources of those data.

You can write to Metzen if you want 100% correct info.

If you go on WoWWiki than you will see sources of those data.
    You need to understand that the logic you are talking about is the following; "they are 25.000 and these are 2.500, so yeah the 25.000 side obviously needs to be a playable race".

What is the number of population required lorewise that you would then consider worthy of creating a new playable race? Theres hundreds of thousands of humans and orcs.

PS Wowpedia is the only site that has credibly listed sources. They do have an abundance of subjective descriptions put in when it comes to describing things that have a large fanbase, but they're a lot better than wowwiki when it comes to the sources.
    Last edited by Magnagarde; 2017-04-21 at 11:21 AM.

Deleted
    You need to understand that the logic you are talking about is the following; "they are 25.000 and these are 2.500, so yeah the 25.000 side obviously needs to be a playable race".

What is the number of population required lorewise that you would then consider worthy of creating a new playable race? Theres hundreds of thousands of humans and orcs.
    No. there is 25K high elfs. and 250K Blood elfs. Also from reproduction view 25K is to low esspecialy for Elfs to be effective force.

250K is high enough

No. there is 25K high elfs. and 250K Blood elfs. Also from reproduction view 25K is to low esspecialy for Elfs to be effective force.
    Where exactly did you get that number of 250.000 from? I am not saying I read everything up, but I'd like you to provide a source for what you've just written. It is the first time I'm reading this number.

Deleted
    Where exactly did you get that number of 250.000 from? I am not saying I read everything up, but I'd like you to provide a source for what you've just written. It is the first time I'm reading this number.
    their numbers have been dramatically reduced: 90% of their race was slaughtered in the Third War; Following this, another 90% of the survivors changed their name to "blood elves" in remembrance of their fallen brethren and no longer consider themselves high elven. Around 25,000 true high elves remain

Survivors = 100%
    Blood elfs = 90/100% of survivors
    High elfs = 10%

10% = 25K
    90% = ?

25K*9=225K

ok so 225K blood elfs. Still doesnt change a point.

man its basic math

Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    I mean, I rarely do my homework when it comes to elven lore but there's even anything Nightborne and current (key word) Night Elves have in common to begin with? Because the biggest similarity I saw is the skin color.
    i would prefer it if they had as little in common as possible. The polarisation and distinct segregation fits the night elf theme very well. Druids don't mix with priests or senitnels, nor should mages. The current kaldorei have a very different feel to the highborne/nightborne and I feel they should continue that way, makes their world feel much bigger, and it's already clear it's quite a night elf thing - otherwise why make them night based, night elf empire city, night elf backstory etc, it's clear they're an arcane evolution of highborne continuing in original Kaldorei ways, blizzard don't need to show any more connections and they should make an effort to show their differences and distinctiveness without eroding their common ground.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaira View Post
    It still amazes me to see people argue for and against this, honestly if high elves went alliance i may sub to wow again but meeeeeh i think that times long gone WoW is almost at a close im sure.
    it doesn't amaze me, i'ts clear form these forum posts, that high elves are quite a dear subject to many a wow fantasy player. This is despite blood elves being available and being the exact same race. I suspect it's the tolkein fantasy trope. It is world wide famous and very dear to fantasy lovers. Also the stint as high elves in the wow lore i think the older fans also quite liked.

I see issues with having high elves playable, however I think the large support for it is making it very appealing for blizzard, they've already said they want to do them. And the reason we get these posts is people trying to figure out how.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    t doesn't amaze me, i'ts clear form these forum posts, that high elves are quite a dear subject to many a wow fantasy player. This is despite blood elves being available and being the exact same race. I suspect it's the tolkein fantasy trope. It is world wide famous and very dear to fantasy lovers. Also the stint as high elves in the wow lore i think the older fans also quite liked.

I see issues with having high elves playable, however I think the large support for it is making it very appealing for blizzard, they've already said they want to do them. And the reason we get these posts is people trying to figure out how.
    People really are fooling themselves if they honestly think the Horde's most popular race is going to be added to the Alliance, instead of blood elf players having the options to use blue eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Only a small number survived in Silvermoon and only an even smaller number survived outside, but it doesn't change the fact that they are both too few to be a playable race either way. We are talking about the most popular race on the Horde side, despite the fact that there is only a small number of them left.
    it's worth noting that therei s a reason blizzard keep numbers vague, - they can pull numbers from anywhere. Never take comfort in things like that or lore reasons, because they make up the lore and change it as and when they please for whatever reasons they please. Just because a race is this way, or didn't do that, or lost os many number sor is clsoe to this race means squat if they want them to end up as bananas, they'd write that and give you new lore reasons for why

Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    People really are fooling themselves if they honestly think the Horde's most popular race is going to be added to the Alliance, instead of blood elf players having the options to use blue eyes.
    but are they? In all fairness man, how can you be sure? They don't know what blizzard is thinking, do you? They pull and do all kinds of things far more surprising than allowing one of their game races to be playable on the other side. It may be a huge deal for you on the negative side, but it could be the exact same on the positive side for many others, and the vast majority it's very likely no big deal. It's not exactly life or death now is it.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    it's worth noting that therei s a reason blizzard keep numbers vague, - they can pull numbers from anywhere. Never take comfort in things like that or lore reasons, because they make up the lore and change it as and when they please for whatever reasons they please. Just because a race is this way, or didn't do that, or lost os many number sor is clsoe to this race means squat if they want them to end up as bananas, they'd write that and give you new lore reasons for why
    Blizzard specifically said there are not enough of them to be a race, this was before the ones in theramore,and plaguelands were killed.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol