Legendary "bad luck" proitection

Anyone know how exactly it works? Is there an algo that increases your drop chance the more content you do?

Or is chance % all set / random?

The reason I ask is because I got a legendary drop today (pretty shit one) but I was going to try and get a specific slot Legendary from the Nethershards (i got 65k shards).

So now i'm not sure if I should do a week or two worth of content before trying my luck with Nethershards slot drop, or just YOLO and do it today.

Any thoughts / observations?

Everytime you do content that can award legendary, but you don't get one.. You get a little more bad luck protection, making your chance for a legendary a tiny amount larger than before.

But it's all RNG anyway.

Like, I just got 4 legendaries over 4 days, without really doing anything. Did WQ, did dungeons for legendary crafting material, 2 RBG's, one level 6 mythic and return to kara.

I would use them now. Don't see a real benefit from waiting one week, but if you thing that would help, go for it.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

There is no reason to wait, it isn't time-based.

As of 7.2 bad-luck protection is spec-specific, so if the item you got only works for a specific spec you can change your loot spec and get the same bad-luck protection as someone who has one less legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by Korban View Post
    Anyone know how exactly it works? Is there an algo that increases your drop chance the more content you do?

Or is chance % all set / random?

The reason I ask is because I got a legendary drop today (pretty shit one) but I was going to try and get a specific slot Legendary from the Nethershards (i got 65k shards).

So now i'm not sure if I should do a week or two worth of content before trying my luck with Nethershards slot drop, or just YOLO and do it today.

Any thoughts / observations?
    No and Blizzard are not telling anyone. It's likely to just be random without any real "protection" at all, besides maybe the first one.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I understand in 7.2 they also changed BLP a bit. Each spec has its own BLP, to try and combat getting a legendary for an off spec when you swap for a trinket for example. This is mostly assumption, but I think this is how it works:

You have a base chance of legendary+your current specs BLP. The first legendary has a high chance, and that decreases a bit with each legendary down to the 4th one, your base chance for legendaries is the same for 4th, 5th, 6th ect.

The thing I don't know is how the base chance is calculated. If i have no resto legendaries and one enhance, do I get the 1st legendary base chance or the 2nd when I'm in resto loot spec?

Personally I assume I'd get the 1st legendary base chance, since legendaries like sephuz count as legendaries for all usable specs. So sephuz as legendary #1 got a druid can make looting legendaries with all their specs take longer than getting a single spec one.

Again this is all speculation, I haven't really played since 7.2 hit, this is all assumptions I got based on patch notes.

BLP basically just exponentially increases the droprate until you get the next legendary.

It exists for all legendaries but applies to #1 and #2 a lot faster than #3+ (which all come at the same rate)

not known if the nethershard token system is tied into BLP or not. If it's not then it doesn't matter; if it is then you should do a few weeks of content before opening tokens

I have 5 level 110 now and none of them have more than one. It is all down to RNGesus like always.

Angry runt incoming:
    Collected 10 out of 11 legendaries available for my primary spec, the latest drop being today. Take a wild guess if I already have my BiS legendary or not.

As for doing low difficulty content, you might as well not bother with low mythic+. Over the course of the expansion my experience was that mythic+ has virtually no effect on bad luck protection. There was a period when I did not do raiding at all, but spammed +2+3 almost non stop for almost a month. Literally hundreds of them to no effect. However, if I clear daily cache and do a minimum of hc-norm-lfr raid clears, even without any mythic+ content (aside from the mandatory +10/+15 once a week), I seem to be getting legendary drops once per 2 weeks. Very steadily actually, if last 4 were of any indication. 13-14 days between them. If mythic+ has any actual effect on legendary bad luck protection, it has to be absolutely tiny. Most of it comes from daily caches and raids.

Since you're specifically asking about burning nethershards for legendaries, it's important to note that Blizz said that the shard legendary chances aren't impacted by and do not in turn impact your BLP. So if that's true, spend away.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaaz View Post
    As for doing low difficulty content, you might as well not bother with low mythic+. Over the course of the expansion my experience was that mythic+ has virtually no effect on bad luck protection. There was a period when I did not do raiding at all, but spammed +2+3 almost non stop for almost a month. Literally hundreds of them to no effect.
    My last shit Legendary dropped from a M+11 dungeon. I had been running m+ for several hours that day, we were farming AP.

:shrug:

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    Since you're specifically asking about burning nethershards for legendaries, it's important to note that Blizz said that the shard legendary chances aren't impacted by and do not in turn impact your BLP. So if that's true, spend away.
    That's the kind of info i was looking for.

I thought i had read this somewhere before, but wasn't sure. Thanks.