Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    Isn't this the intended use of "triggered?" Things that cause you to relive an incredibly traumatic experience. The professor did have the sense of mind to recognise her behavior was not only irrational, but inappropriate. That's more than I can say about a lot of people who justify bias by saying everybody is biased instead of "oh, maybe I should stop."
    It seems as if you think most people in the thread even read the article

Crazy feminist, I bet she is ugly as hell.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This part is pretty funny. A white, college male between the ages of 18 and 22? Attending a college? What the fucking odds? I never would have thought!

If this is a group that she's deeply uncomfortable with, college is probably not a great place for her to be employed.
    well good luck for her, the numbers of males in college is declining - presumably entirely unrelated to people like her.

Deleted
    If this story is true, she should get some professional help.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    1. survive a rape and try to heal
    2. include "lesson on rape culture" in your curriculum
    3. become shocked that your memories come back
    4. ???
    That's the strange thing with conditions like PTSD, you can feel like you're completely over the experience then something specific can trigger your condition.

Think about it, she managed to graduate and get the qualifications, find her job, learn the syllabus, discuss is with her students and set the assignment; but then one particular essay triggered the PTSD so it probably was a shock.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    well good luck for her, the numbers of males in college is declining - presumably entirely unrelated to people like her.
    White people are also being bred out, if we're not careful we could very well lose the ability to treat "certain" groups of people worse by virtue of an easily identifiable physical trait often associated with poverty. Things are getting scary.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    Isn't this the intended use of "triggered?" Things that cause you to relive an incredibly traumatic experience. The professor did have the sense of mind to recognise her behavior was not only irrational, but inappropriate. That's more than I can say about a lot of people who justify bias by saying everybody is biased instead of "oh, maybe I should stop."
    Even taking this very charitable interpretation, it strongly implies that she shouldn't be teaching this class at all. If someone is going to literally have their PTSD triggered by the course materials of their class and/or a student writing about those materials, deliberately choosing to teach that class is a pretty bad idea.

So if it's everything is on the up and up, the appropriate thing for the university to do is to replace her, both for her own good as well as the fact that students shouldn't pay thousands of dollars to be taught by someone that can't actually engage with anything difficult in that course.

Deleted
    Even taking this very charitable interpretation, it strongly implies that she shouldn't be teaching this class at all.
    "She recounts screaming “Zero! You get a f*cking zero!” at the computer screen as she graded the student’s two-page paper, saying that she also felt that simply by writing the paper, he had undermined her authority as an instructor."

Its pretty clear she shouldn't be teaching anything.

Deleted
    Rape culture is a conspiracy theory.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Without the full paper and the class course in question it's hard to decide whether or not he deserves a 0.

But her reacting out of base emotion over fragmented memories of a horrific action and willingly allowing herself to twist and project that onto a students paper? That sounds closer to "I don't like you so I'm giving you a 0".
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Pure comedic gold

A feminist professor said she was so triggered by a male student’s paper that “I began to have trouble distinguishing him from the man that [raped me].”
    Grammar mistake from a professor who focuses on essays...

Sounds like yet another example of how rape hysteria culture is much more common than rape culture.
    When did you go to college and where? I've been to a ton of frat parties and have never been to one where multiple girls weren't getting what's considered to be raped now (i.e. super drunk or unconscious being carried into an upstairs bedroom ... not so they can chill and sleep it off), rape culture is super common in this demographic, in the US.

And for sure this professor's reaction is overly hysterical, but cite some of these other examples of "rape hysteria culture". If there was "rape hysteria culture" then it wouldn't be perfectly ok for frat bro white dudes to rape literally thousands of girls every Friday and Saturday night across the states.

15+ Year Old Account
    Even taking this very charitable interpretation, it strongly implies that she shouldn't be teaching this class at all. If someone is going to literally have their PTSD triggered by the course materials of their class and/or a student writing about those materials, deliberately choosing to teach that class is a pretty bad idea.

So if it's everything is on the up and up, the appropriate thing for the university to do is to replace her, both for her own good as well as the fact that students shouldn't pay thousands of dollars to be taught by someone that can't actually engage with anything difficult in that course.
    I dont disagree that this may be a bad class for her to teach, but let's not oversimplify issues regarding mental health. Ptsd, depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety, it can be incredibly hard to pin down X will always cause Y reaction. I don't know how long this woman was teaching before the incident, but it seems very unlikely that this was the first time she encountered a dissenting opinion. This was however the first time she wasn't able to appropriately handle one.

There is a good amount of sense in having somebody with her background teach gender studies in the way a Japanese person can tell you a lot more about internment during ww2. I imagine we would be less flustered if said Japanese person took strong umbrage with a student claiming internment was justified.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

Deleted
    Do you think there's any merit to concerns that much of academia is a festering cesspool of pseudo-intellectual garbage?
    It has always been like that and it will always be like that. The only thing that's changing is buzzwords used by those "intellectuals".

As saying goes: those who can - do, those who can't - teach. There are of course exceptions, but they are minority among all the garbage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by fiestatastic View Post
    When did you go to college and where? I've been to a ton of frat parties and have never been to one where multiple girls weren't getting what's considered to be raped now (i.e. super drunk or unconscious being carried into an upstairs bedroom ... not so they can chill and sleep it off), rape culture is super common in this demographic, in the US.

And for sure this professor's reaction is overly hysterical, but cite some of these other examples of "rape hysteria culture". If there was "rape hysteria culture" then it wouldn't be perfectly ok for frat bro white dudes to rape literally thousands of girls every Friday and Saturday night across the states.
    Also this. It's not like this one example of hysteria suddenly de-legitimizes factual actions and history of rape and rape culture. This lady is just very not good at her job.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

I'll nvr understand y shit like this is even news worthy yet it still gets reposted here. Idk what u could even gain from discussing this besides it sounds like this lady needs to make some personal changes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    “How, I wondered, could I possibly evaluate this student’s work in an ‘unbiased’ fashion?” she asked.
    well it's literally her job so, either she does that or she should find a new job.

Quote Originally Posted by fiestatastic View Post

A state school in New York for undergrad from 1997-2003 (counting part time while in high school) and then grad school at a different state school in New York from 2003-2010. I have basically never encountered "rape culture" in the sense of anyone tolerating rape. Pretty much everyone I've ever met is viscerally disgusted by the idea of forcing someone or having sex with someone that's so drunk that they're incoherent.

I think your post contains an example of rape hysteria culture. People getting drunk and fucking isn't an awful epidemic, it's a choice that people make that I'm mostly not all that concerned about.

She recounts screaming “Zero! You get a f*cking zero!” at the computer screen as she graded the student’s two-page paper, saying that she also felt that simply by writing the paper, he had undermined her authority as an instructor.

“I imagined him sitting on the other side of his computer screen laughing at my pain, joking about my distress,” she wrote. “I imagined him being friends with my rapist (though the man who raped me is now significantly older than this student, he is frozen in the 18-22 age bracket in my mind).”
    2 pages? Is this school a joke? He's entitled to his opinion, and she's still too traumatized to teach this.