Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Caifas View Post
    That is oversimplifying my point a bit. What Im trying to say is that an mmo would lose part of the most crucil point of appeal that Overwatch has. And yes, there are other, possibly better arguments that have been presented in this very thread. It could be argued that mmos are a stagnant genra and Blizz would have to come up with something really innovative to even make the endeavor worth it -something that they tried and failed.

One could also claim that it would compete with WoW, making it less desirable to investors. It could even be pointed out that the current mmo market might be that profitable.

I am, however, not invested in this argument enough to spend my time discussing all of that. I had a perspective to add and I believe I defended it to its full extent.

If Blizzard were to make a good Overwatch mmo would I be pleasantly surprised? Of course! I am a fan of their games and would be very happy to play it. But I believe that not all IPs have to become mmos. I don't think the franchise would have much to have added because of the intrinscical aspects of its game philosphy that I explained, ad nauseum at this point.

Feel free to disagree as much as you like but, the same way I have failed to convince you, I dont believe that you have turned my position invalid.
    It isn't at all simplifying your point.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

There is overkill of that space, so no.

Once WoW numbers are low enough I fully expect a Diablo MMO, with play and support like WoW with a new engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    It isn't at all simplifying your point.
    If you say so. But it is a point. All you've done is say that a)Warcraft is as hero based as OW is and, once your arguments didn't stick, b) that there "must be better arguments". You're pratically saying that my point is invalid because it is invalid because it is invalid.

Frankly....that's kinda of boring. No point in continuing this argument. You have your view, I have mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    How do people on this forum not know what Titan was? The progenitor of Overwatch? An Overwatch MMO that failed in development? Titan's assets were repurposed to create Overwatch. They took an MMO and turned it into a Hero-based FPS.

The answer is no.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Amalaric View Post
    The best argument that I have seen so far would be that it would cannibalize Destiny 2 sales.
    No, the best argument is that they tried making Overwatch into an MMO to begin with and failed.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

7+ Year Old Account
    If you say so. But it is a point. All you've done is say that a)Warcraft is as hero based as OW is and, once your arguments didn't stick, b) that there "must be better arguments". You're pratically saying that my point is invalid because it is invalid because it is invalid.

Frankly....that's kinda of boring. No point in continuing this argument. You have your view, I have mine.
    You need better comprehension. I was mocking a bad argument the entire time. My original point was that the Hero argument is weak because you could have made the same argument about Warcraft, because Warcraft III was a very hero driven story. And frankly you didn't pick up it is mocking a bad argument is pretty bad.

Yes, the story is Hero (ie Character Driven) but there are tons of nameless people who were in Overwatch .. there were nameless Talon grunts, implied nameless junkers ... you can easily get around the need of a Hero to make an Overwatch MMO. The argument is poor, not invalid.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2017-07-08 at 08:34 PM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, the story is Hero (ie Character Driven) but there are tons of nameless people who were in Overwatch .. there were nameless Talon grunts, implied nameless junkers ... you can easily get around the need of a Hero to make an Overwatch MMO. The argument is poor, not invalid.
    This argument is also pointless, seeing as they already tried this and couldn't figure it out.
    [/url]

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    This argument is also pointless, seeing as they already tried this and couldn't figure it out.
    That's not really what they said. They say that they couldn't make it fun ... not they couldn't figure it out.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not really what they said. They say that they couldn't make it fun ... not they couldn't figure it out.
    I'd say that in this case those are one and the same. No one is going to play a mish-mash of convoluted mechanics. ie: Survival Hunters. :P
    [/url]

You need better comprehension. I was mocking a bad argument the entire time. My original point was that the Hero argument is weak because you could have made the same argument about Warcraft, because Warcraft III was a very hero driven story. And frankly you didn't pick up it is mocking a bad argument is pretty bad.

First of all I'd like to point all that I have never adressed you with anything less than due respect even though I was well aware you were not taking my argument seriously. However, if you were mocking my argument...you suck at this. You really do. You seemed to be just very, very bad at arguing, beeing repetitive, pedantic and overall not very convincing. The point I'm presenting is not something that I hold as a freaking religion. It's just something I threw out there while on off time at work. But what you said failed completely to deny my argument. Again, your point was "it isn't because it isn't.", barely showing anything of substance. Like, things such as pointing out the random grunts in Talon, really? Are they the focus at any given moment? Do you have epic moments of Reaper rallying them? Are there books explaining how many of them are?

Frankly, you're tiring me. I have no intention on continuing with this pointless argument.

7+ Year Old Account
    First of all I'd like to point all that I have never adressed you with anything less than due respect even though I was well aware you were not taking my argument seriously. However, if you were mocking my argument...you suck at this. You really do. You seemed to be just very, very bad at arguing, beeing repetitive, pedantic and overall not very convincing. The point I'm presenting is not something that I hold as a freaking religion. It's just something I threw out there while on off time at work. But what you said failed completely to deny my argument. Again, your point was "it isn't because it isn't.", barely showing anything of substance. Like, things such as pointing out the random grunts in Talon, really? Are they the focus at any given moment? Do you have epic moments of Reaper rallying them? Are there books explaining how many of them are?

Frankly, you're tiring me. I have no intention on continuing with this pointless argument.
    Because you are convinced it was a good argument and showed no interest in an actual debate, so I was having some fun.

And again, you seem to miss the point still. You are tired of an argument and still have no idea of that argument was.
    –The Sith Code

I know western MMO's are a dead kind of thing now but I would really like a western superhero mmo, and overwatch is essentially a cyborg super hero game. I just can't handle one more Korean mmo.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

I think Overwatch should remain only a team shooter - as far as games. Since it has a superhero aesthetic to it, I'd love to see a regular comic series about Overwatch in its prime, or a miniseries animated like the recent Doomfist video.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Could a MMO be created based on a game that was created from a failed attempt to create a MMO?

It's me or that question is pretty dumb?

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    How do people on this forum not know what Titan was? The progenitor of Overwatch? An Overwatch MMO that failed in development? Titan's assets were repurposed to create Overwatch. They took an MMO and turned it into a Hero-based FPS.

The answer is no.

- - - Updated - - -

No, the best argument is that they tried making Overwatch into an MMO to begin with and failed.
    Honestly I think that proves that it COULD be made into an MMO. The reason it 'failed' seemed largely in part due to the devs and how they wanted to do things.

Would it have ultimately failed as an MMO? yes, but that's because the market is fucked and the audience regards even decent games as utter failures unless it's the second coming of jesus duking it out with the elder gods in a bid for ending the apocalypse... in every update.

Quote Originally Posted by Hell-Nicø View Post
    Could a MMO be created based on a game that was created from a failed attempt to create a MMO?

It's me or that question is pretty dumb?
    What they created they couldn't find the fun factor in it, so pieces of it got turned into Overwatch. The only character to come from it was Tracer but it wasn't Tracer, basically her abilities. Now that Overwatch has been created and flushed out an Overwatch MMO would be more likely to succeed than what Titan was.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

If Overwatch were to have an "MMO" it would be an "MO". What we saw with the Omnic PvE event showed a brief bit of how they could operate. I would image Overwatch having a MO being a PvE Left for Dead like style game. It could have "MMO" like mechanics but I feel it would be an addon instead of a separate entity.

Story Mode basically would be the first incarnation.