Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    This was to me a good look for Moiraine;

Acquittal doesn't mean exoneration

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    If they get everything wrong then it'll turn into GoT-lite, and no reason to watch.

At which point no one will want to ever see a Wheel of Time series attempted.
    The Witcher had 2 tries before they got it right So you never know. As long as it makes some people interested in the series we could see further adaptions which could lead to a better show later down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharadin View Post
    You mean from that list where Lan and Faile are both white despite being East Asian in the books? Where Tuon's ideal casting is a farcry from the ebony she's described as?

So you only take issue we're not casting white people when you think they should be, as opposed to casting white people in non-white roles?
    Er, no, Lan was not East Asian in the books. Pretty much every time he was described his grey eyes were mentioned and there were no other Asiatic features ever mentioned in association with him. Oddly enough, neither were they with the Shienarans. They were dark haired and dark eyed but once more nothing was described beyond that.

RJ often mixed up real world race and cultures so names and themes did not imply that they had the same looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    I'll still watch, love these books too much to miss even small scraps of something tied in.

To be clear, having followed the development of this show really closely for months, I think they're going to nail it.
    If you loved the books that much you wouldn't think they are going to nail it after seeing the idiot's comments and the casting.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, at this point I'm struggling to see any actual point you have that isn't just "I'm mad because there are less white people".
    I'm mad because they are fucking with the books I would be mad if they announced Tuon was going to be played by Keira Knightley as well. The books are what matter not Rafe's idiotic thoughts of this would be better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    This is kind of like arguing over what color Moraine's horse is going to be. Because, GODDAMIT, it was white on the book cover. And we all know that the color of a horse makes a huge impact on the story @_@
    That does make an impact though white horses are meant to encourage thoughts of purity and honesty while Lan's giant black war horse makes him seem intimidating. As the series goes on though it's subverted and we see Moraine's plots within plots while Lan is for the most part straightforward even if a bit of a woolheaded idiot but slowly has his walls eroded.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    If you loved the books that much you wouldn't think they are going to nail it after seeing the idiot's comments and the casting.
    Or we just have different priorities and both love the books.

On the matter of casting, RJ actually said who he would choose for each character (given a time machine of course), so this is how he pictured them as looking lik;

https://wot-tidbits.tumblr.com/post/...-robert-jordan

I'm mad because they are fucking with the books I would be mad if they announced Tuon was going to be played by Keira Knightley as well. The books are what matter not Rafe's idiotic thoughts of this would be better.
    Alas you're holding up RJ's castings as if they're some holy grail despite them not matching the physical descriptions from the books. Strikes me as mad because brown, and if this is sufficient to keep you from watching the show then I am further convinced this has nothing to do with you being a fan of RJ's work.

- - - Updated - - -

Posting this without any context is a bit disingenuous. There's nothing to suggest this is exactly how RJ envisioned the characters, or whether he thought such actors would best be able to capture the characters. From the site itself:

In response to a fan who once asked Robert Jordan which actors and actresses he would cast if a movie were made about the Wheel of Time, he said that such power was never given to an author, but, regardless, he had never really thought much about it. He went on to say something about Sean Connery or Patrick Stewart in relation to Thom Merrilin, but that was the extent of it.

RJ’s notes, however, tell us that the fan may have asked the wrong question, as they give us insight into models he may have used for some of the characters. Whether these associations were prompted by the fan’s question, or whether RJ used these actors from the start as helpful visualizations, we don’t know. But it’s fun to learn about actors he may have associated with some of the WoT characters.

He's said a lot more than that also yes changing sexualities does both me. Rand's harem largely functioned as a sisterhood they didn't fuck each other.
    They did in my head canon, well at least Elayne and Aviendha did -all of those baths...

Seriously though, I hope they don't put sex and sexuality at the forefront of the story. There were always subtle moments where you knew something had happened, a sly gesture here and there. I really don't want them to go down the GoT route with every episode involving someone bump uglies to show diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smallfruitbat View Post
    They did in my head canon, well at least Elayne and Aviendha did -all of those baths...

Seriously though, I hope they don't put sex and sexuality at the forefront of the story. There were always subtle moments where you knew something had happened, a sly gesture here and there. I really don't want them to go down the GoT route with every episode involving someone bump uglies to show diversity.
    Elayne and Aviendha's relationship seemed more important to them than their relationship with Rand. Elayne honestly invests far more time and effort to become Aviendha's sister than she ever does to get Rand's affection or time. And they really consider themselves sisters, going through a bizarre arcane ritual that simulates rebirthing as twins.

As far as sexuality is concerned, the novels make female homosexual relations seem fairly common. Not the same is true with males until the books not written by Jordan (but then again we don't really get to see male/male relationships nearly as much, with the three friends spending the vast majority of the books split and all being clearly heterosexual). Heck predatory female homosexuality is not uncommon either, Elaida in New Spring?
    Last edited by Nymrohd; 2020-02-12 at 09:48 AM.
    Hail Lilith and see you in Hell!

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    Or we just have different priorities and both love the books.
    So your priorities are not a faithful adaptation seems like you don't love the books that much.

all of those baths...
    Let's not fuck about, this is the reason we're all here.

Alas you're holding up RJ's castings as if they're some holy grail despite them not matching the physical descriptions from the books. Strikes me as mad because brown, and if this is sufficient to keep you from watching the show then I am further convinced this has nothing to do with you being a fan of RJ's work.

- - - Updated - - -

Posting this without any context is a bit disingenuous. There's nothing to suggest this is exactly how RJ envisioned the characters, or whether he thought such actors would best be able to capture the characters. From the site itself:
    Weird that one of the few castings I'm satisfied with is Allana because she actually fits the books description. Almost like the books come first and the only racists here for the most part are those cheering diversity for the sake of diversity and fuck the books. You know the people who put skin color above accurate portrayals hint that's you.

The castings are from his note and how he saw his characters appearance wise there is nothing disingenuous about them. The pictures are obviously fan chosen but the actors are from his notes.

So your priorities are not a faithful adaptation seems like you don't love the books that much.
    Indeed, because if the skin colours aren't exactly as you imagine them then the adaptation isn't faithful and anyone who likes it isn't a true fan.

Welp Rafe's primary call word is diversity so much so that he threatened to make Perrin and Lan gay when people called him out on his garabage casting. His primary goal is diversity he very clearly doesn't give a shit about the books as can he seen by him identifying as red ajah and thinkong that's a good thing.

Weird that one of the few castings I'm satisfied with is Allana because she actually fits the books description. Almost like the books come first and the only racists here for the most part are those cheering diversity for the sake of diversity and fuck the books. You know the people who put skin color above accurate portrayals hint that's you.

The castings are from his note and how he saw his characters appearance wise there is nothing disingenuous about them. The pictures are obviously fan chosen but the actors are from his notes.
    Yeah, because I want more brown people because white people are bad.

Either that or I have enough of a brain to know that Perrin having african features isn't at all relevent to the plot and so I don't care. But yeah, I'm the racist. It all makes sense now.

Indeed, because if the skin colours aren't exactly as you imagine them then the adaptation isn't faithful and anyone who likes it isn't a true fan.
    No because the characters look nothing like Jordan's notes and he's making noises about makes Rand's wifes fuck each other as well as rand instead of the fairly deep sisterhood they share that is kind of a counterpart to the boys.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, because I want more brown people because white people are bad.

Either that or I have enough of a brain to know that Perrin having african features isn't at all relevent to the plot and so I don't care. But yeah, I'm the racist. It all makes sense now.
    Except it is relevant because it shows that the showrunner doesn't care about being accurate to the books.

Let's not fuck about, this is the reason we're all here.
    I'm here for Min shaving Rand.

Except it is relevant because it shows that the showrunner doesn't care about being accurate to the books.
    You're entitled to that opinion, but I think a true fan would know what physical attributes are and are not relevant to what makes WoT great and would allow a showrunner to take some artistic license with respect to the casting and otherwise be excited that a great book series is going to get a TV adaptation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I'm down with that but we all know Aviendha is best girl and we need some sweat tent scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I'm here for some arm-crossing and knee-bouncing.

addons
    weakauras
    Lua Wall of Shame
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

I'm down with that but we all know Aviendha is best girl and we need some sweat tent scenes.
    Or running naked in the snow scenes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
    I'm here for some arm-crossing and knee-bouncing.
    To be fair, I'm mostly here for this becoming a hit so I can use "mother's milk in a cup!" as a swear word without people looking at me funny.