Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hittion View Post
    Can you really race bend a series that relies on blood lines and descendants as key parts of its plot?
    Sure. Especially if you're planning to drastically alter the plot as well.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Well, if they planning on turning it into a shitshow...then by all means lets piss on the fans of the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Well, if they planning on turning it into a shitshow...then by all means lets piss on the fans of the books.
    I was worried about this one, until I watched a couple of shows amazon is the caretaker of, The Boys was so much better than i thought it could be. Carnival Row is also a great representation.

Amazon wants all the money, they will get more of mine for WoT.

Quote Originally Posted by Deln View Post
    I was worried about this one, until I watched a couple of shows amazon is the caretaker of, The Boys was so much better than i thought it could be. Carnival Row is also a great representation.

Amazon wants all the money, they will get more of mine for WoT.
    And yet, Emondsfield seems rather multicultural. A small town in the back alley of the world, where one of the big talks was the fact that Tam brought home a foreign woman as his wife, and a child.

WoT is packed with different races whom have rather distinct looks, but for some reason that doesn't seem important to those making this show.

Another thing I find rather annoying, is how.. small.. that Perrin cast looks, where is the huge blacksmithing shoulders? He got to pump some real iron before the filming begins.

Ugh. I have zero hopes for this. Perhaps I won't be dissapointed at least then, because I will for sure watch it no matter what, as I freaking love the WoT universe. Just got to hold a firm grip on the fact that the books and the series will be two entirely different things.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Pleased with the casting so far, Lan's a bit too pretty though. Hopefully they'll age him a little for the screen.

I was hoping Rand would look similar enough to the Two Rivers lot to maybe jebait the audience as to the identity of the Dragon Reborn (for a few eps, at least), but I guess that's pretty unlikely unless they really play on Mat's weird Old Tongue stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxina View Post
    And yet, Emondsfield seems rather multicultural. A small town in the back alley of the world, where one of the big talks was the fact that Tam brought home a foreign woman as his wife, and a child.

WoT is packed with different races whom have rather distinct looks, but for some reason that doesn't seem important to those making this show.

Another thing I find rather annoying, is how.. small.. that Perrin cast looks, where is the huge blacksmithing shoulders? He got to pump some real iron before the filming begins.

Ugh. I have zero hopes for this. Perhaps I won't be dissapointed at least then, because I will for sure watch it no matter what, as I freaking love the WoT universe. Just got to hold a firm grip on the fact that the books and the series will be two entirely different things.
    The trick about doing this book right, is correctly conveying the atmosphere and realism the book paints.. Jordan does spend a lot of time describing the world as well as the character/persoanlity and traits of the peoples and characters.

The visual presentation would take care of a lot of the location narratives.. the tougher part would be conveying the same information on the characters and the narrative of their thought processes, and what it shows.

You'd have to powerfully ocnvvey the feel and personaltities with half the words.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hittion View Post
    Can you really race bend a series that relies on blood lines and descendants as key parts of its plot?
    there is no real reason they can't change a blood line in a slight way to make them a different race without effecting the story even more so when there is a major time jump between characters of note in said blood lines.

Saw this dreamcast post.

And i'll really be fair, looks wise, these guys are a better fit to the roles than the ones of the actual casting, but hey ..it's one thing to look the part physically, but another to pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    At the same time, though the town is in the middle of nowhere, it is also the last remnant of a fairly substantial kingdom. So perhaps people there are fairly mixed cause Manetheren was mixed? After all Emond's Field was close to the center of Manetheren which by itself included parts of Tarabon and Amadicia (where if I recall people looked mostly hispanic?). And given that all of the Ten Nations were the results of massive refugee movements due to the breaking, probably most places in that world are mixed to some degree.
    Manetheren fell more than 2000 years before the events in the books. I think by that time there wouldn't be a whole lot of racial variation left.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Manetheren fell more than 2000 years before the events in the books. I think by that time there wouldn't be a whole lot of racial variation left.
    Two Rivers is near the border of a few nations, it's not stretching credulity that there could be some distinct populations in the area.

More interested to see how they play the roles. Mat is probably the hardest to get right.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    Two Rivers is near the border of a few nations, it's not stretching credulity that there could be some distinct populations in the area.
    Not really. Two Rivers is cut off geographically by wild rivers, dense forests and impassable mountains and even beyond that is wilderness. It is in the middle of nowhere really. It may be near the borders of other nations in a sense, but most borders in the WoT setting are fairly nebulous claims through wilderness.
    The only way intoTwo Rivers is from one direction, and the people who live in Taren's Ferry, which is the only way in, are seen as a little shifty and untrustworthy as they have contact with a few people beyond the borders of the Two Rivers.

Despite gots last season, it still lands in the top along with lord of the rings as one of the most most faithful and great adaptations from fantasy book to movie.

There are countless examples of absolutely horrible adaptations.

But i will still hold out hope. If this one and the witcher turns out fine. Then i might one day get my big dream fulfilled of seeing The gardens of the moon getting an adaptation.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Not really. Two Rivers is cut off geographically by wild rivers, dense forests and impassable mountains and even beyond that is wilderness. It is in the middle of nowhere really. It may be near the borders of other nations in a sense, but most borders in the WoT setting are fairly nebulous claims through wilderness.
    The only way intoTwo Rivers is from one direction, and the people who live in Taren's Ferry, which is the only way in, are seen as a little shifty and untrustworthy as they have contact with a few people beyond the borders of the Two Rivers.
    The region would have a steady influx of different people regardless, in small numbers but enough for some believable variety. Because it is so small, it wouldn't have to be more than a trickle, the occasional outlander spouse, merchant, or traveler who had cause to settle.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    actually i liked that, I think you really need a good descriptive narrative to paint your world well, Jordan's actually did the job well with a lot of humour and the action, danger, excitement, mystery and reveals were never too far away.
    You... Thought the fighting was good?!?!

All those fucking sword moves that never were described in any way.. "The Boar Rushes Down the Mountain"... met by "Apple Blossoms in the Wind" and then retaliated with "Cat on Hot Sand"...

Was that a good fighting scene in your mind?
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post

All those fucking sword moves that never were described in any way.. "The Boar Rushes Down the Mountain"... met by "Apple Blossoms in the Wind" and then retaliated with "Cat on Hot Sand"...

With a little bit of imagination, you can kinda see why they are named the way they are. A boar the rushes down a mountain? Most likely a heavy hitting fast attack, apple blossoms in the wind? Makes me think of more japanese style of fencing, so quick strokes? Imagine cutting down apple blossoms as they fall down of the tree. Cat on hot sand? Fast movement with the feet.

So ye, all those names of the moves truly painted a good picture in my head as I read the books. The names does the trick a lot better than "Then he swong in from the right!"

- - - Updated - - -

At the same time, though the town is in the middle of nowhere, it is also the last remnant of a fairly substantial kingdom. So perhaps people there are fairly mixed cause Manetheren was mixed? After all Emond's Field was close to the center of Manetheren which by itself included parts of Tarabon and Amadicia (where if I recall people looked mostly hispanic?). And given that all of the Ten Nations were the results of massive refugee movements due to the breaking, probably most places in that world are mixed to some degree.
    A kingdom long dead and forgotten. It's stated in the books they aren't very accustomed to strangers in the Two Rivers, the only ones comming being merchants.

As pointed out, it was a place shut down by wild rivers and high deadly mountains. 2000 years is a long time, long enough that most people will share similar traits for sure.
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    If you knew Japanese fencing you'd know what those moves were.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if they'll bother casting Elaida for the period this season will cover. She's not super important until like the fourth book but it's kind of necessary to seed her as an antagonist IMO. Although eh, I guess they could introduce her in the White Tower and work from there.

She does appear in the second book.
    She's in the first book when Rand climbs over the castle walls and has to meet Queen Morgase. Elaida wanted to question him further but Morgase let him go.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    I wonder if they'll bother casting Elaida for the period this season will cover. She's not super important until like the fourth book but it's kind of necessary to seed her as an antagonist IMO. Although eh, I guess they could introduce her in the White Tower and work from there.
    And ruin her plot. Almost everything she does is because of the viewing of Rand in the first encounter in the first book. Remove that, and what is left? WHY does she take over the White Tower, if not because she thinks it's the right thing to do, to stop and control Rand?

I hope they won't do stupid shortcuts like that.

Tarabon strikes me as more latin /spanish or even hispanic as you yanks say.

Tear - definitely has to be oriental - I keep imagining a chinese/japanese/Korean mix.