Page 1 of 32
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Wheel of Time TV Series In The Works

(Nothing to do with that crappy, 1am, BS Red Eagle did earlier.)

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/whee...ny-1202390897/

I'm so excited, I can't wait to see who they cast as Mat

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm excited... But also very very worried. Yes, they got GoT more or less right... But we all remember Legends of the Seeker, and Shannara Chronicles, and so many other attempts to turn great books into TV shows.

I'll wait to see what happens, but right now I'm having very mixed feelings about this.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

At least the script won't be ruined by Jordan's horrible writing, she said to the wool-headed fool, tugging on her braid.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutpile View Post
    At least the script won't be ruined by Jordan's horrible writing, she said to the wool-headed fool, tugging on her braid.
    My eye twitched reading this.

yeah along with the 20+ pages of describing a particular place/village/person/tribe/god knows what, that was very annoying about 1/10th through eye of the world

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh hell yeah!

I expect every fourth or fifth episode to be dedicated to letting us know how cold winter is and what snow is like.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    I expect every fourth or fifth episode to be dedicated to letting us know how cold winter is and what snow is like.
    And the first episode of each season is following a random wind as it begins and winds it's way through the ENTIRE universe... Not THE start to a random breeze... Nor THE end to a random breeze... but A start... and AN end... because there are no beginnings and ends in the Wheel of time... as breezes flow from one age to the next... there is only flow from one age to the next as the wheel turns.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Luperca View Post
    (Nothing to do with that crappy, 1am, BS Red Eagle did earlier.)

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/whee...ny-1202390897/

I'm so excited, I can't wait to see who they cast as Mat
    I hope it's better than this one...

[color=blue]This thread has lived beyond its life expectancy. ... It's also met the forum quota for posters insulting the intelligence of their peers to grasp the age-old upper hand in argumentation, I believe officially coined by Plato: "Ur, like, dumb and that's why I'm right." Zarhym

Hopeful. I've been meaning to read the books but haven't gotten around to it. Hopefully this can scratch the itch GOT will leave behind when it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    Hopeful. I've been meaning to read the books but haven't gotten around to it. Hopefully this can scratch the itch GOT will leave behind when it's over.
    To be completely honest, I wouldn't bother. One of the best series ever written until Jordan died and Sanderson took over and shat all over it.

10+ Year Old Account
    As excited as I'd like to be, this is still the same company that effectively stole the material to produce something without the Robert Jordan Estate's approval. The same company that failed to produce several games, failed a kickstarter, and attempted to hold onto the license while not actually using it.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Sandraudiga View Post
    To be completely honest, I wouldn't bother. One of the best series ever written until Jordan died and Sanderson took over and shat all over it.
    And that's another reason I haven't gotten around to it

15+ Year Old Account
    It better have a good wardrobe with how the dude describes all the clothes. The clothes had more personality than the people did.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

15+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully this won't be as bad as the pilot.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

10+ Year Old Account
    You're the first person I've heard express that sentiment... EVERYONE else I know thinks Sanderson did a damn fine job wrapping up the series, and a few people (myself included), when we're whispering into the darkness, late at night when only the Forsaken can hear us, will admit that in fact he did a slightly better job that Jordan had done with the preceding books.

It's not a coincidence that the books many considered to be the worst of the whole series are the final few that Jordon wrote.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    You're the first person I've heard express that sentiment... EVERYONE else I know thinks Sanderson did a damn fine job wrapping up the series, and a few people (myself included), when we're whispering into the darkness, late at night when only the Forsaken can hear us, will admit that in fact he did a slightly better job that Jordan had done with the preceding books.

It's not a coincidence that the books many considered to be the worst of the whole series are the final few that Jordon wrote.
    Yeah I'm surprised at that statement too. Crossroads of Twilight (book 10) is considered by many to be the worst book in the series. I don't know if I'd consider it the worst, but Jordan's later books were just less appealing to me than the early/middle ones. I thought Sanderson did a great job, though I do have a bias since I like his other works,

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WernerCD View Post
    And the first episode of each season is following a random wind as it begins and winds it's way through the ENTIRE universe... Not THE start to a random breeze... Nor THE end to a random breeze... but A start... and AN end... because there are no beginnings and ends in the Wheel of time... as breezes flow from one age to the next... there is only flow from one age to the next as the wheel turns.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope it's better than this one...

That is the crappy, 1am, BS Red Eagle did earlier.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    Hopefully this won't be as bad as the pilot.
    That wasn't a pilot, it was a only made so Red Eagle could keep their contract and hold the rights to the Wheel of Time TV/Movie for another year, they were sued and lost.

There already is another topic on the Wheel of time, http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...+Wheel+of+Time

those were some of my fave aspects of his writing. he even developed his own unique phrases etc that made his ficitional environment/culture/peoples seem real.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by un_known View Post
    yeah along with the 20+ pages of describing a particular place/village/person/tribe/god knows what, that was very annoying about 1/10th through eye of the world
    actually i liked that, I think you really need a good descriptive narrative to paint your world well, Jordan's actually did the job well with a lot of humour and the action, danger, excitement, mystery and reveals were never too far away.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm excited... But also very very worried. Yes, they got GoT more or less right... But we all remember Legends of the Seeker, and Shannara Chronicles, and so many other attempts to turn great books into TV shows.

I'll wait to see what happens, but right now I'm having very mixed feelings about this.
    oh yes, I remember Legends of the Seeker, and it would be terrible if the series was adapted like that. GoT did get it right. but Shannara Chornicles didn't get it wrong, it at least looked very good and is cohesive enough. There is a season 2 for that airing this year, so that is not dead yet, i think. Wait and see is a good piece of advice

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    As excited as I'd like to be, this is still the same company that effectively stole the material to produce something without the Robert Jordan Estate's approval. The same company that failed to produce several games, failed a kickstarter, and attempted to hold onto the license while not actually using it.
    yeah, that's worrying, especially if the samme group did that horribly 1:15 a.m. premier a while back. Sony doesn't always make good stuff either, so we'll see. And the guy on the project.. hmm. i've seen hemlock grove - very creepy vibe, but was well written, Chuck was fun and light, and totally silly but entertaining, Agents of Shield, end of season 1 and season 2 onwards is good, but not quite DD/LC/Iron Fist/JJ or GoT level of quality - which is what I would want for a GoT series.

would have been more encouraging if HBO or Netflix were running this one, they seem to hit a lot more than miss.

- - - Updated - - -

Well Sanderson didn't capture the Jordan flair of the first 6 books, you could tell the style was different, and the end result though I applaud him for doing - it's never really easy, actually didn't feel like the same writer pr standard, Sanderson felt distracted after I read his WoT books, then i looked into him and discovered he had been writing and releasing his own stories too at the same time, and was one of the reason WoT conclusions took so long. I'd rather they not have concluded the series and waited till someone worthy who would exclusively dedicate his time to finishing it in the Jordan style.

Books 1-6 were by far the best. But it was after that I later found out James O'Rigney had been diagnosed and was seriously ill. Apparently his wife did a lot of the writing or joint writing, on the remaining books from 7 until Sanderson took over. This is why the quality noticeably reduced there on end. Or at least provides a reasonable excuse, how truly true it is, I don't know, but there was a decline in quality 7 onwards.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftExE View Post
    Yeah I'm surprised at that statement too. Crossroads of Twilight (book 10) is considered by many to be the worst book in the series. I don't know if I'd consider it the worst, but Jordan's later books were just less appealing to me than the early/middle ones. I thought Sanderson did a great job, though I do have a bias since I like his other works,
    that's cos many people didn't know that the wife was assisting a lot more, bringing the stuff together mostly. I still feel those last volumes feel like they feel because of how much little progression they actually made for the years it took them to come out, I started reading the series around when Book 7 was released, so I got to binge read 1-6, and have always felt 7-11 or 12 could have been one volume or tops 2, not 4

I want them to do Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok.... I mean I know it boils down to opinion and all, but I would have to say if any part of the story was "shit" it was books 8-10 In my opinion. The series had a very hard time of actually moving the story forward for about 3 books or so. Sanderson actually seemed to help give it focus again, which it desperately lacked for some time.
    Last edited by Whitedragon; 2017-04-29 at 06:31 AM.