Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2017/0...i-gmrddr-19363

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comm...rn&sh=d909786e

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comm..._38512_driver/

rofl, rip FE now

in the end the magical uber driver boost did come .. just not from AMD

- - - Updated - - -

TITAN Xp is the most powerful GPU you can put in your PC, and now we’re enabling even better performance with our latest TITAN drivers.

We built TITAN Xp for people who design and create — and, of course, play games. And it’s always getting better.

Our latest driver — available today — delivers 3x more performance in applications like Maya to help you create and design faster than ever.

You can now also use TITAN Xp with more PCs, including thin & light laptops, than ever before, and with external GPU chassis from a wide range of manufacturers including Asus, HP, Powercolor and Razer

And when you’re done if you want to rip through Battlefield 1 at 100 frames per second – no problem.

Best part: TITAN Xp is available worldwide. It’s available from Nvidia.com in United States, Europe, Australia, and Russia; from JD.com in China, PC Home in Taiwan, and from 11st in South Korea.
    this has got to be a dig at how some vega packs arent available in europe

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3...e-with-rx-vega

AMD Distancing from CrossFire with RX Vega

During press briefings leading to Vega’s gaming variant launch, which looks similar to the FE card (but with DSBR and power saving features now enabled), GamersNexus met with several members of AMD’s RTG team to discuss RX Vega’s future.

One such conversation with a group of media led to the topic of lacking CrossFire marketing materials in RX Vega’s slide decks, with parallels drawn to Polaris’ brandished claims from 2016. With the Polaris launch, great emphasis was placed on dual RX 480 cards evenly embattling GTX 1080 hardware – something we later found to be of mixed virtue. This time, it seems, none of the CrossFire claims were made; in fact, "CrossFire" wasn’t once mentioned during any of the day-long media briefing. It wasn’t until media round-table sessions later in the day that the topic of CrossFire came up.

RX Vega 64 and RX Vega 56 will support CrossFire, technically speaking, but AMD noted that the industry is largely moving away from multi-GPU configurations. We agree with that sentiment, and have for a while, though that’s been the case since before Polaris and its heavy CF marketing language. Regardless, AMD has minimized its marketing focus on multi-GPU for RX Vega and, although the cards can technically function in multi-card arrays, AMD noted that the value is rough when considering limited developer support.

This aligns with nVidia’s decision to begin slowly winding-down SLI support during the Pascal 10-series launch event, where discussion of keyed 3-way SLI would be required (something later changed, though there’s no official support of >2-way SLI in games on 10-series cards).

Not all that much has changed in the game development industry since Polaris, so it’s interesting that AMD is just now deciding to move away from CrossFire marketing and claims. Vega marks the continuation of a winding-down period for multi-GPU advertisement, as begun with Pascal. Both GPU manufacturers are now in a state that feels more like ongoing maintenance than heavy investment in multi-GPU gaming configurations.

Different story outside of gaming, of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I think overall if priced right Vega will be fine, but it ain't 1080Ti and will never be.

One thing that I am surprised at is them slapping blower cooler on 300 TDP card, my only guess is that this because they don't want to mess with 3rd party manufacturers, but boy are they gonna get hammered in reviews for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    rofl, rip FE now
    As much as you would like it to be the death of FE, it's really not a big thing. FE doesn't really compete with the Titan cards. It competes with the pro cards and this wasn't an issue for those. It was a bug that was introduced ages back to the Titan drivers that they have now decided to fix, probably because of Vega.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Well I think overall if priced right Vega will be fine, but it ain't 1080Ti and will never be.
    This, so much. It's all about price/performance. It's not fitting into the 1080Ti bracket. If they priced it there and it performed worse then it would be dead in the water. Reviews will give us a good indication whether the pricing is too high or not. I think the Vega 64 cards aren't going to make much of a splash with consumers directly but may end up in a lot of pre-built machines. I would also like the 56 to be $50 odd cheaper but lets see what the perf is like.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    As much as you would like it to be the death of FE, it's really not a big thing. FE doesn't really compete with the Titan cards. It competes with the pro cards and this wasn't an issue for those. It was a bug that was introduced ages back to the Titan drivers that they have now decided to fix, probably because of Vega.
    Vega FE doesnt have certified drivers therefore cannot compete with pro cards. The only other line of cards that doesnt have certified drivers but doesnt target gaming is Titan line.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Vega FE doesnt have certified drivers therefore cannot compete with pro cards. The only other line of cards that doesnt have certified drivers but doesnt target gaming is Titan line.
    Yes and no. Smaller companies are less concerned with certified drivers. Of course your big shops will require those but they will also be tied to Nvidia API's. At least for the foreseeable future. To chip away at that market AMD will need to get their software up to scratch and target the smaller companies.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm quite certain the reason behind releasing a card in the 1080 bracket, instead of the 1080ti is because that's where there's most money to gain. The cost for production on a card in the 1080ti bracket would not make much gains for AMD, comparing the charts in Amazon's most sold, Steam's most used hardware etc as a statistic standpoint show's that within the high-end GPU area, the most bought cards are 1070's and 1080's, much more safe to push themselves into that level with a card that yields 1080 level performance, at a lower price.

They are aiming at where the money is, little point for a company like AMD who has been struggling to keep up with Nvidia, to produce and release a card that only a minority of gamers will actually buy.

I'm looking to snag up a Vega card and dust of my FreeSync monitor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaevrie View Post
    I'm quite certain the reason behind releasing a card in the 1080 bracket, instead of the 1080ti is because that's where there's most money to gain. The cost for production on a card in the 1080ti bracket would not make much gains for AMD, comparing the charts in Amazon's most sold, Steam's most used hardware etc as a statistic standpoint show's that within the high-end GPU area, the most bought cards are 1070's and 1080's, much more safe to push themselves into that level with a card that yields 1080 level performance, at a lower price.

They are aiming at where the money is, little point for a company like AMD who has been struggling to keep up with Nvidia, to produce and release a card that only a minority of gamers will actually buy.

I think you do not realize how much performance crown is worth. Because of this everyone knows that Nvidia is where the performance is and AMD is merely a value proposition.

People will instinctively choose Nvidia just because of that in the lower brackets too.

And no, they did not make Vega to suck - they are the ones who spread all this "poor Volta" and "bettered" crap, wouldn't make sense to create a product which is not being capable to match Pascal then, if they aimed at Volta. Probably they expected more and got less in the end.

Also depends on what the margins are, volume sales are important for market share and the brand awareness that comes with that market share. But if the margins are low in the volume sales its usually also important to spread out to market segmets with lower volumes but alot more margin.

Also don't forget that having the "performance crown" also contributes to sales in other segments, just by the marketing you can do with that.

7+ Year Old Account
    PR to sell a product is always going to happen regardless. But I would not say 1070, or 1080 suck. I still stand by my point, RX Vega priced at where it is priced, and roaming at a 1080 performance. The price pr. performance is what will help the product. AMD is lagging so far behind Nvidia at this point, for them to create an "1080ti" product means that the cost for the card would be too much to lower the price, meaning they would have a card that most people wouldn't get to buy because of it's cost. It's much more profitable to produce a card that the will actually be of any value.

Going by the charts on Amazon (for instance) there's a much, much bigger number of people buying 1080 in the high-end bracket than 1080ti, merely a fraction bought it. Same goes for Steam's most used hardware list, Newegg etc. The list goes on. Why make a card that costs that much to produce, that will not earn back what the cost pr. production is. They are aiming at a price pr. performance and a level where most people are actually buying.

Their anti-nvidia propaganda is true, but of course they would, they've been behind Nvidia for so long, and need to push extra to get a little ahead of their own position.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaevrie View Post

yet they made top flagships 290X, 295X2, FuryX, ProDuo before

this time they just failed (or realized they would fail before even starting and thus didnt even attempt a 1080Ti competitor .. which is kind of the same thing)

another thing here is that currently for enthusiasts a "4K@60" card is the big new thing (and soon 4K@144) and AMD doesnt have a card like that and it seems they wont until Navi in 2019+
    Last edited by Life-Binder; 2017-08-02 at 12:46 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, they did, and failed. Hard, trying to deliver on a higher plateua then they were able too. They weren't able to compete against Nvidia on the top-of-the-line shelf. Which is why they are now pushing themselves into a more realistic spot on the high-end card line. Not at the very bleeding edge atop the mountain, that spot belongs to Nvidia, and will stay there for god knows how long, but I'm quite certain that Nvidia will have it all the way to Navi is released, and then Nvidia will have something to push back with. Wether or not they "failed" is subjective, you, and many many others see it that way. I see it as a planned situation, going by their history of undercutting. And wether or not they truly "failed", one can't deny the fact that there now is a AMD Gpu on the high-end market. Just more options, which for me is great, I can snag me a good card for a reasonable price that will work great with my FreeSync.

Which is good. And it's also good that AMD has something on the low-to-mid range on the high-end cards now. AMD can't compete with Nvidia, they know it, we know it. But by cutting themselves a piece of that pie at this price range means that there will be less drought on the GPU market by the Crypto Currency miners that has wrecked the GPU market lately. Just look at Nvidia's response to Vega, they aren't scared, but they released a new driver (as a first step) on their Titan, increasing performance, and most likely begin production on cards again to have their spot.

Point is, AMD releasing Vega is a good thing, the GPU market needs competition, lest it goes stale. Which results in a lack of innovation. With AMD pushing themselves into the scene in a big way on the CPU market, there's competition for Intel, which again results in a little CPU war between the two "factions", more products/better products, better prices, more competative and innovative sales, the same goes for GPU.

In general, a good time to be a pc enthusiast with many products from all sides and companies.
    Last edited by KingSapmi; 2017-08-02 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HasturTheKing View Post
    Yeah, they did, and failed. Hard, trying to deliver on a higher plateua then they were able too. They weren't able to compete against Nvidia on the top-of-the-line shelf. Which is why they are now pushing themselves into a more realistic spot on the high-end card line. Not at the very bleeding edge atop the mountain, that spot belongs to Nvidia, and will stay there for god knows how long, but I'm quite certain that Nvidia will have it all the way to Navi is released, and then Nvidia will have something to push back with. Wether or not they "failed" is subjective, you, and many many others see it that way. I see it as a planned situation, going by their history of undercutting. And wether or not they truly "failed", one can't deny the fact that there now is a AMD Gpu on the high-end market. Just more options, which for me is great, I can snag me a good card for a reasonable price that will work great with my FreeSync.

Which is good. And it's also good that AMD has something on the low-to-mid range on the high-end cards now. AMD can't compete with Nvidia, they know it, we know it. But by cutting themselves a piece of that pie at this price range means that there will be less drought on the GPU market by the Crypto Currency miners that has wrecked the GPU market lately. Just look at Nvidia's response to Vega, they aren't scared, but they released a new driver (as a first step) on their Titan, increasing performance, and most likely begin production on cards again to have their spot.

Point is, AMD releasing Vega is a good thing, the GPU market needs competition, lest it goes stale. Which results in a lack of innovation. With AMD pushing themselves into the scene in a big way on the CPU market, there's competition for Intel, which again results in a little CPU war between the two "factions", more products/better products, better prices, more competative and innovative sales, the same goes for GPU.

In general, a good time to be a pc enthusiast with many products from all sides and companies.
    In general you are very right, having 2 companies competing is better than one.

But did they "fail" i think atleast partly they did, else they wouldnt have been doing that "Poor Volta" (or something similar, can't remember exactly) a while ago. And i don't think they actually planned to only be in GTX1080 territory (or slightly above maybe) and a much higher powerusage with Vega more than a year after the GTX1080 release. i sincerely think they aimed higher (lets say close to 1080ti performance at a lower price point). Now don't get the wrong and think that i think Vega is going to fail. if they are close to GTX1080 performance or even slightly above it (and same for the 1070) at a lower pricepoint, i don't think the product will fail. They will get sales, and probably quite alot also.

But it does show they still have work to do and still have to play catchup with Navi. They do need to bring performance up while lowering their powerusage by alot. Which is not a small feat and get a piece of the pie in every segment (also the high margin segments) not only the volume segment where margins are alot lower.

And also (maybe even more important for AMD / RTG) they need to get their marketing apparatus in order, the Vega marketing as a whole has been one big shitshow leading even the biggest AMD fans i know into doubting the capabilities of the AMD / RTG group. To much silence when they needed to release information, half assed information at some points, weird presentations and comparisions without any clarity. With Ryzen AMD did alot right in this department, but with Vega imho they missed the boat completely on how they should inform their customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    Yes and no. Smaller companies are less concerned with certified drivers. Of course your big shops will require those but they will also be tied to Nvidia API's. At least for the foreseeable future. To chip away at that market AMD will need to get their software up to scratch and target the smaller companies.
    Pro cards' main feature is certified drivers. Any card that doesnt have those is automatically in competition with gaming cards as compute performance is not any different.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Pro cards' main feature is certified drivers. Any card that doesnt have those is automatically in competition with gaming cards as compute performance is not any different.
    The problem is that NVidia do their best to limit the use of gaming cards in pro environments. For example, the bug listed here has been in place for a year. Then there are things like the pro cards supporting pass through mode for virtual machines and the consumer cards not supporting this because it's specifically disabled in the drivers. Vega FE is a prosumer card and Titan XP is a gaming card. This driver fix will make the 2 closer in performance but it doesn't mean that Vega FE is "rip", as Life-Binder said.

In other words, you can go with a supported option (AMD), an expensive supported options (Nvidia Pro - certified) or an unsupported options (Nvidia consumer). The performance/price differences aren't that big. Vega is actually more suited to being a pro chip than a gaming chip.

There are also other ways that AMD are playing in the space. For example, this card for 8K video processing (http://www.pcgamer.com/amd-radeon-pr...2tb-of-memory/).
    Last edited by Gray_Matter; 2017-08-03 at 08:43 AM.

For gaming.. Vega 64 was already a hard sell(if leaks are true) with the MSRP of $499, so am guessing this is the fanboys and miners will buy it price. Then again it all depends if it will well or not.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    For gaming.. Vega 64 was already a hard sell(if leaks are true) with the MSRP of $499, so am guessing this is the fanboys and miners will buy it price. Then again it all depends if it will well or not.
    Unfortunately the shops are trying to profiteer off the miner demand. Then again, I don't really see the Vega 64 as a card that is going to be in too much demand. The 56, on the other hand will be and AMD have finally realized this because they pushed forward the reveal dates and the release date for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tegg View Post
    So this Vega is the new mining branding?

When will we get affordable gaming cards?
    We will see, some say the new type of memory on the vega cards will not handle mining as well as older generations, also power consumption is a concern to miners. So fury x, 7990, and 580/480 are still going to be miner kings for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent One View Post
    We will see, some say the new type of memory on the vega cards will not handle mining as well as older generations, also power consumption is a concern to miners. So fury x, 7990, and 580/480 are still going to be miner kings for a while.
    Some also say it has 3 times the hash rate of current leader, which means it would be more efficient than it by far.. So who knows until we see tests.

as far as gaming goes, Vega64 so far is giving me 2900XT vibes (that is not a good thing at all)

miners might be happy tho

- - - Updated - - -

good price would be Vega56s chance to get into a decent-ish position on the gaming market, but remains to be seen if you ever see them @ MSRP .. and even at MSRP it will need to be closer to 1080, than to 1070, to be considered