couple spriest questions

1- Does it matter when i use void torrent? does having higher insanity stacks make it hit harder? (i.e. i should use it when i'm close to leaving voidform?)
    2- which body guard is best and which are the best followers?
    3- is misery ok for single target raid encounters?

1 - i'm not sure about the damage, but its not worth to delay it through the fight, best is to fit as many VoiT as possible
    2 - best bodyguard is Sol, he does best damage and gives some nice survi. The followers I personally use are : Sol (bodyguard), Yalia Sagewhisper, Aelthalyste, Zabra Hexx, Mariella Ward, Alonsus Faol, but the diffreneces between them are minor
    3 - its trash talent for raid encounters, especially single target

It's better at later stacks as it does more damage and it doesn't help much using it when you were already overcapping on insanity. However you also don't want to lose out on a cast of it in a fight so generally you do want to cast it fairly early on. Generally after having emptied your void bolts(with 4 set) and mind blasts(with belt) and used shadowfiend(if you got the traits) is a good place.

As for followers, I believe there someone already found the best setup, I believe it was on reddit, although you can probably find a link to it here as well. Although I suppose I could just list as well.

6 Followers used for missions: Zabra, Ishanah, Natalie, Sol, Calia and Mariella, use either Aelthalyste or Alonsus as bodyguard. Reason for not using sol is that he's too damn good for missions, partly because the other 2 holy followers are pretty bad.

1) For dungeon bosses, that typically go down within a single void form in a minute, I usually save Void Torrent when it's at the 35% health due to Twist of Fate buff... for sake of padding DPS.

2) Personally find Meatball to be the best follower, Bodyguard AND Missions; Who doesn't like a bodyguard that can execute a rare elite for WQs at 20m [20%] hp!?

3) Misery is strictly a mass dot'ing talent, i.e. - it's NOT for Single Target. Better off going with Power Infusion. Misery's great for general purpose [Dungeons, questing and WQs].

Deleted
    VoiT does more damage, but not enough to offset damage lost from having less of them cast. The main benefit it gives you, it it pauses insanity drain, while voidofrm and MH stacks go up, essentially extending voidform duration and increases the dot damage.

Sol is good, and the new one is decent, but there's no real need for a bodyguard after the 7.1.5 changes. As for followers, just try to spread out specializations and secondary traits (the % increase against specific threats) balanced. Also the old final follower (don't remember the name, the undead guy who started the whole order) is really good with some items that buff chance with troops. He can easily solo all missions.

Misery is a trap talent. It's only good in a very specific levels of M+ where trash lives long enough to take damage from dots, but not long enough for you to spend 5-10 seconds in void form. And where boss fights are under ~20 seconds. Power infusion is better in every other scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by myhv View Post
    Sol is good, and the new one is decent, but there's no real need for a bodyguard after the 7.1.5 changes. As for followers, just try to spread out specializations and secondary traits (the % increase against specific threats) balanced. Also the old final follower (don't remember the name, the undead guy who started the whole order) is really good with some items that buff chance with troops. He can easily solo all missions.
    If you can get a hold of the legendary follower equipment that gives artifact power from world quests then it's definitely worth having a bodyguard, more so than ever before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zimboombafoo View Post
    1- Does it matter when i use void torrent? does having higher insanity stacks make it hit harder? (i.e. i should use it when i'm close to leaving voidform?)
    2- which body guard is best and which are the best followers?
    3- is misery ok for single target raid encounters?
    There is so much misinformation floating around this tread O.O

1) you want to use your VoidT as soon as you possibly can when entering voidform, if you dont have t19 4pc this means it should be the first button you press after entering voidform. If you have t19 4pc then you want to get off your free voidbolts and then cast torrent. The reason for this is VoidT delays insanity loss but also does not generate insanity. By popping VoidT as soon as humanly possible after entering void form you increase the amount of haste (from VF stacks) you have before even beginning your rotation, which will in turn allow you to stay in void form for longer. Yes VoidT hits hard but our real dps comes from VampT and SW:P ticking at high VF stacks so thats why its optimal to use VoidT in the way i described!

2) it honestly doesnt matter, just go with whoever is the coolest to you =p
    3) like others have said misery is objectively bad other than in VERY niche m+ sittuations. It does save you a global yes buut the reason we go with PI, goes back to my answer to your first question. PI allows us to stay in void form longer which means more sik dps from our dots, which means more deeps!

hope this helped clear things up, if im too confusing go checkout HowtoPriest's shadow section. Tons of great info written by people who both know a lot more than i do and explain things better.
    Last edited by Helander; 2017-05-07 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Helander View Post
    There is so much misinformation floating around this tread O.O

1) you want to use your VoidT as soon as you possibly can when entering voidform, if you dont have t19 4pc this means it should be the first button you press after entering voidform. If you have t19 4pc then you want to get off your free voidbolts and then cast torrent. The reason for this is VoidT delays insanity loss but also does not generate insanity. By popping VoidT as soon as humanly possible after entering void form you increase the amount of haste (from VF stacks) you have before even beginning your rotation, which will in turn allow you to stay in void form for longer. Yes VoidT hits hard but our real dps comes from VampT and SW:P ticking at high VF stacks so thats why its optimal to use VoidT in the way i described!
    You know it doesn't help saying that when you're not really correct yourself. If it doesn't cost you a cast of void torrent in the course of the fight then you don't gain anything from casting it before using up your mind blasts charges and casting shadowfiend in most cases(you need 4/4 fiending dark for this, and there are cases where you may want to holder it longer, the goal being to always be in voidform while it's up and with as high haste as possible, so if you can last to 50 stacks with PI, 20 stacks is where you want to pop it).

You also in fact potentially lose void form uptime by using it in a period where you already are overcapping on insanity where as using it just as you start to be unable to cap it will let you get insanity ticks from vampiric touch/AS if specced as well as getting mind blast and void bolt ready, letting you hopefully cap on insanity one last time, optimising your voidform uptime as much as possible. Obviously you do not want to do this if it means losing out on one void torrent in the end and for newer players simply following what you said is probably the safer way to play but you can not call it the optimal way.

7+ Year Old Account
    With AS I like the massive spike I get from pull when using VTorr right before getting out of that first VF which lets me get 2 VBs and a MB. Results is 50+ VF stacks. After that I use VTorr on CD until I can use PI again and leave it till the end of that PI buffed VF. Usually only works in raid fights for their length.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleckens View Post
    You know it doesn't help saying that when you're not really correct yourself.
    if im too confusing go checkout HowtoPriest's shadow section. Tons of great info written by people who both know a lot more than i do and explain things better.
    might help to read an entire post.

No, that doesn't really work, you came in saying "There is so much misinformation floating around this tread O.O"

It's one thing if you just pointed to that thread but you clearly went ahead and posted misinformation yourself instead. As I said I'm okay with your suggestions as a recommend way of playing for new players but not with you claiming it as the truth and optimal way of playing.

Fleckens is right, you just gave misinformation after you complained about misinformation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Fleckens is right, you just gave misinformation after you complained about misinformation.

no I didn't. I simply described how VoiT works, and when is most optimal to use it. Of course things change when you consider things such as legendarys, tier sets, trinkets, artifact levels, and overall gear level. If you have a base understanding of how VoiT affects your dps, you can then hopefully understand how to best take advantage of it given your unique gear/boss situation.

no I didn't. I simply described how VoiT works, and when is most optimal to use it. Of course things change when you consider things such as legendarys, tier sets, trinkets, artifact levels, and overall gear level. If you have a base understanding of how VoiT affects your dps, you can then hopefully understand how to best take advantage of it given your unique gear/boss situation.
    But as I already pointed out in my post, you did not give the most optimal way to use it, you gave the easiest way to use it. If you had not claimed it to be the most optimal way and that others were posting misinformation I don't think anyone would have had any issues with your post.