Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If a site like reddit can effectively moderate their ads then I don't see why mmo-champion couldn't.

If you want people to white-list mmo-champion then make your ads less obtrusive.
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2017-05-11 at 05:34 PM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    If a site like reddit can effectively moderate their ads then I don't see why mmo-champion couldn't.
    Reddit doesn't bother moderating their content, so their standards are far lower.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

I'd just like the ads not to change the width of MMO-Champ's content. Shrinking the page down in size is unbearable.
    If that stops happening I'd whitelist.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Reddit doesn't bother moderating their content, so their standards are far lower.
    Reddit has extremely strict standards for their ads... and a reddit employee manually reviews and approves of every ad they display.
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2017-05-11 at 05:24 PM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted
    Sign up and adhere to addblock plus acceptable advetisment guidelines, and I will whitelist you.link

Most times I cannot type to reply because, there are 5-6 audio/ video ads going that don't quite load right and will not allow the page to function properly. It is always loading and an all around pain in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post

Unfortunately this wouldn't remotely make enough for us to stay operational.

The reason I ran the poll is people have asked for it for years. Not a ton, but a significant amount of people were interested in it and voted to indicate so.
    If it's not enough to stay operational, then please, at least screen the sites you're getting the stream of ads from ( if this is how that works that is, I don't really have a clue. I wanted to type something like "not sure if possible" in my other post but didnt actually type it out)

Can you quote some? I've really never seen this, unless it's just PMs of course. And would you mind sharing the results of that poll? I found it really out of the way that I couldn't see the results like I could with the other polls.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Reddit has extremely strict standards for their ads...
    Yeah, just very poor standards for their content - they allow full on abuse of people, so when you say strict standards - given the abysmally low standard for content - their strict standards for ads isn't saying much.

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelathos View Post
    I'd just like the ads not to change the width of MMO-Champ's content. Shrinking the page down in size is unbearable.
    If that stops happening I'd whitelist.
    When you whitelist after blocking these type of ads should no longer be shown. Still finishing up the implementation of this, but it hopefully will be live soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Sign up and adhere to addblock plus acceptable advetisment guidelines, and I will whitelist you.link
    I think we might have done that? Fairly static ads do show up if you have adblock set to allow non-intrusive ads IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    If it's not enough to stay operational, then please, at least screen the sites you're getting the stream of ads from ( if this is how that works that is, I don't really have a clue. I wanted to type something like "not sure if possible" in my other post but didnt actually type it out)

Can you quote some? I've really never seen this, unless it's just PMs of course. And would you mind sharing the results of that poll? I found it really out of the way that I couldn't see the results like I could with the other polls.
    Ad networks have tens, if not hundreds of thousands of potential ads that can be displayed to users. We use multiple ad networks, so there are probably millions of different ads you could see. It just isn't realistic for us to screen those. It would be great if the ad networks would properly screen ads and restrict what they could do, unfortunately they don't do a perfect job there either.

As far as Premium goes, you can see a couple of responses in this thread, several in the other, and other places across the site. I can't share the results, as it is part of how we are determining a price point.
    Last edited by chaud; 2017-05-11 at 05:32 PM.

It is there. Either it hasn't been posted in recently or you are filtering it out. If I didn't want feedback I would just delete every post about it...

Oh, that ellipsis, you got me

You could delete every post or you could close an active thread discussing this very topic. You could then open a new thread that doesn't show under recent posts in order to appear like you care what users think when in actuality you don't. These are just some things that could happen. I mean, these ads are the source of income for the site, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that you wouldn't want attention drawn to just how shitty the ads truly are.

At any rate, the thread is appearing for me on the front page now and my original post has been corrected.

The reason I ran the poll is people have asked for it for years. Not a ton, but a significant amount of people were interested in it and voted to indicate so.
    This statement means little unless you provide something to reinforce it. Choosing to conceal the results of the poll only speaks against your words.
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post
    Choosing to conceal the results of the poll only speaks against your words.
    I suspect that the poll results led to this very thread... in essence if the poll results had supported the status-quo, there would be no need to ask for feedback.

However - I'm still looking for an answer to my question ... given the low proportion of member use of the site, why can't we disable served ads for members and supplement member income in more creative ways?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd happily pay a small fee to never see the whitelist annoyance or ads. I use this site quite a bit and I think it's fair to ask the users to help pay for it. I'm not going to view those ads regardless of whether a sub is available or not, though. It's a security hazard as, as you say, you cannot go through all the ads manually.

When you whitelist after blocking these type of ads should no longer be shown. Still finishing up the implementation of this, but it hopefully will be live soon.

I think we might have done that? Fairly static ads do show up if you have adblock set to allow non-intrusive ads IIRC.

Ad networks have tens, if not hundreds of thousands of potential ads that can be displayed to users. We use multiple ad networks, so there are probably millions of different ads you could see. It just isn't realistic for us to screen those. It would be great if the ad networks would properly screen ads and restrict what they could do, unfortunately they don't do a perfect job there either.

As far as Premium goes, you can see a couple of responses in this thread, several in the other, and other places across the site. I can't share the results, as it is part of how we are determining a price point.
    I meant screening the ad networks, not the millions of ads. I mean, it could be just one of those that has a lot of malicious ones.

However - I'm still looking for an answer to my question ... given the low proportion of member use of the site, why can't we disable served ads for members and supplement member income in more creative ways?
    Definitely something worth considering, just something I can't implement overnight. I'll keep it in mind as we look at how best to implement Premium.

Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    I meant screening the ad networks, not the millions of ads. I mean, it could be just one of those that has a lot of malicious ones.
    Oh, we have had problems with ads from every network, even Google. Ad networks that constantly have bad ads we have already dropped.

After decades surfing the internet without issue, MMO-C should be proud to be the first website where I was forced to download AdBlock.

As for why I have ad-block enabled, it's basically for the same reasons a lot of others have stated, such as auto-playing, etc. but the one big one for me is I absolutely hate when ads cause the content on the page to take longer to load than the ads themselves. Ads should not have priority over the content I am coming to the website for in the first place.

That said, MMO-Champ wasn't the reason I got ad block, it was actually Facebook, Twitch, and YouTube. I do visit this site quite frequently, mostly for the front-page news and - to a significantly lesser degree - the forums when bored at work. I wouldn't be opposed to white-listing but my main hang up would be the giant banner ad that overtakes the normal green background of the page. Is this one of the things that will be part of the "ad lite" experience, or will that full-page ad still be there?
    Last edited by Egitel; 2017-05-11 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    After decades surfing the internet without issue, MMO-C should be proud to be the first website where I was forced to download AdBlock.
    Well, you weren't forced - you could have been smarter and downloaded uBlock Origin So there was a choice ...

Well, you weren't forced - you could have been smarter and downloaded uBlock Origin So there was a choice ...
    Honestly never bothered to search for others [Adblock was pretty much a buzzword], but thanks for the heads up -- I'll change Adblock to uBlock.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just blocked the element asking me to whitelist MMO-C.

Sorry pal, but again, the ads on this site are too much of a problem for me to whitelist you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Honestly never bothered to search for others [Adblock was pretty much a buzzword], but thanks for the heads up -- I'll change Adblock to uBlock.
    Why change? I use both
    Putin khuliyo