Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Certain big sport team are starting to have e-sport team too.
    For exemple Paris Saint-Germain (soccer team) with an annual revenu of 520 millions euros (in 2016) can afford to pay that 20 millions if they want to get their e-sport team in it. (and yes i know they dont have an Overwatch team, it was just an exemple!)

But i also agree that it's a stupid thing to do from blizzard.

Not surprising, Blizzard (Activision) have shown what greedy fuckers they are for awhile now...

Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    TSM actually isn't buying in from what I've heard, 20 million is a big deal for an org like that, some of those others you mentioned surely aren't either, note that this would be almost or more than 10 times as expensive as getting a LoL team in the LCS.

This subject has been discussed for awhile on certain Discords and Reddits but Blizzard is actually mainly targeting big sports organizations, think NBA teams, who have this kind of money to burn.

However a LOT of the rumours about the OWL are exaggerated, which is also Blizzards fault, so don't take everything too seriously.
    Examples are a hard concept to understand right? I'm not saying those guys are buying in, I'm saying big name teams like that, are the audience Blizzard is going for with buy ins.

Overwatch is a fps for people who are bad at fps games. Why would you push something with such a low skill requirement into a competitive arena?
    How bout we get some hungry hungry hippo world championships? Ffs...

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Archer View Post
    Examples are a hard concept to understand right? I'm not saying those guys are buying in, I'm saying big name teams like that, are the audience Blizzard is going for with buy ins.
    No, apparently it's difficult for you to grasp things because those are NOT the big name teams Blizzard is going for with these prices.

Teams like the ones you mentioned as examples would get in for way cheaper if they negotiated with Blizzard, and if Blizzard thinks it's lucrative to them in there.
    Last edited by Woobels; 2017-05-13 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    No, apparently it's difficult for you to grasp things because those are NOT the big name teams Blizzard is going for with these prices.

Teams like the ones you mentioned as examples would get in for way cheaper if they negotiated with Blizzard, and if Blizzard thinks it's lucrative to them in there.
    Holy shit dude, overly literal much? How hard is it to understand the concept of examples. I said the price would be too high for them, but that it isn't average players Blizz are looking to get on this, it's big name companies, whatever company it doesn't matter, the example was big name companies.

Understand now? Or just not smart enough?

10+ Year Old Account
    Knock it off with the bickering and insults, please and thank you.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

I thought the same thing when I initially saw that number in the news post, that regardless of who they're expecting to buy in the number seems pretty high.

As popular as Overwatch is it's still a relatively new game and it just seems like they're trying to charge for a long-established title because of its instant popularity. I can understand scaling your price based on popularity but it still seems to be overkill. Admittedly, I don't know much about how these things work and this could be totally normal.

20 mill seems fine i've seen patch notes before wow expansions have released when they try do balancing, it's so far from the mark it's like they got a baboon to do it a really retarded one, why shouldn't the same baboon be in charge of the overwatch league as well?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    20 mill seems fine i've seen patch notes before wow expansions have released when they try do balancing, it's so far from the mark it's like they got a baboon to do it a really retarded one, why shouldn't the same baboon be in charge of the overwatch league as well?
    WoW in 2017... go back to your cave you crawled out of troll.

I wonder if people realize the 20 million entrance fee actually enables them to give out really big prize money as well?

I feel like OW is a pretty poor pretty spectator sport to begin with. They're essentially hoping the casual hype is so strong that despite it not really being a very good game to watch and cast over it won't matter and they'll all make money. I personally wouldn't buy into it if I were a large org that was already deep in CS/League unless I was just throwing money until its proven to be worth it. Let someone else take the risk because that number is insane and the product is not proven whatsoever. Perhaps they cut better deals behind the scenes with large orgs though because really having the big names advertise your game for you is something Blizzard should pay them for and not the other way around.

I can only assume that they're starting the bidding... high.

It's a pretty hot property so maybe they'll negotiate like, half of that or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsbybutters View Post
    Overwatch is a fps for people who are bad at fps games. Why would you push something with such a low skill requirement into a competitive arena?
    Could say the same of the entire MOBA genre really...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Blizzard was also quoted as saying they're trying to generate NFL sized revenues from Overwatch.

Ummm... the NFL had 7 billion in revenues last year. Good luck with that.
    First quarter of this year ATVI reported $1.73B net revenues and OW is the biggest contributor. $7B from OW is not an impossible target

You might think NFL generates a metric ton of money because you live in America. But outside North America no one watches the sport, not even during Super Bowl (starts at 1-3am in Europe, advertising costs barely cover the revenues). To put that in perspective, Pemier League generates $6.3B in revenues, in a country 5 times smaller.

Blizzard has absolutely no clue how to run an esport. What else is new?

7+ Year Old Account
    That's one hell of entry fee per player!

What is next?

They make so that only "bros" watch esports.. It sickens me, men in suits already have made gaming "bro-stuff", when watching esports becomes totally socially acceptable among those morons, we have lost and every true gamer will shed a tear since time starts flowing backwards.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://esports.yahoo.com/blizzard-o...190546691.html

Fake news?

“We appreciate that there’s a lot of enthusiasm about the Overwatch League, which has translated into months of speculation–including reports circulating unverified and wildly ranging rumors from anonymous sources about purported deal terms, team pricing, and other details. We understand the interest in the rumors, and we feel it’s important to clarify some things for our community.

“First, we want to be clear that our ultimate goal is to create an exciting Overwatch esports ecosystem, the pinnacle of which will be the Overwatch League, that’s accessible to a wide audience, sustainable, and rewarding for everyone involved. We’re doing our best to take great care with building this ecosystem, and as with much of what we do, we don’t release information until we’re at a place where it makes sense to do so.

“Second, we’d like to dispel any rumors that we’re ignoring endemics. Anyone who knows Blizzard understands how deeply we care about the communities around our games. The league is built upon the best elements of endemic esports programs and traditional sports, and we’re in active discussions with many teams and owners from both worlds because it will take a village to stand up a league with such an unprecedented structure. Those conversations have been going well and there’s a lot of excitement around our ambitious plans.

“Finally, it’s important to think twice about statements from unnamed sources, who may try to leverage the media to deliberately spread misinformation as bargaining tactics or for other competitive reasons. We look forward to officially sharing real details about the league and the ecosystem as a whole as we continue the development process. In the meantime we are staying focused on our goal of creating an awesome Overwatch esports experience for players, partners, and fans, and we want to thank everyone for their continued support.”

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Overwatch has been very very successful so I don't know what you're talking about saying "Overcrap"
    I'm sure that was his opinion. For instance, my opinion is I wish I could have the $40 back I spent on it. I wouldn't call it OverCrap, maybe more like OverHyped.

10+ Year Old Account
    Given how unclear the future of their E-sports division can be, I'm surprised they didn't start the bar really low in order to get it off on a solid footing. Guess we'll know pretty soon how well it will work out. Hard to tell at the moment since people bailing tends to be more newsworthy than people joining.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Or damage control?
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"