Thread: The Surge

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

The Surge

So this comes out tomorrow and has been pretty overlooked at large. The reason of course is pretty obvious. The Surge is a sci-fi Dark Souls clone. If Nioh took the formula to a world like Onimusha then The Surge takes it closer to a world somewhere betweeen Brink and the film Virus. In a near future where the earth faces ecological disaster a silicon valley tech giant starts a new initiative called "project reSOLVE" to restore the earths life. Hiring the homeless, invalid and infirm and empowering them with exoskeletal robot suits directly implanted into their skin to form the workforce of his revolution. You play a character who mid application ends up in the installation chair as "The Surge" happens and his implantation begins. Without anaesthetic. He wakes up in a scrapyard being dragged by a small drone off to "repurposing for parts" and escapes to find the compound is now a nightmare scenario where humans are being puppeted by their now independent rigs and are either mad and feral or begging for help as their bodies try and kill you. No levels or boss souls just parts to strategically break off to upgrade your own rig. Fighting the unfortunates or crazed, feral construction machines as you try to find the truth behind the titular event.

Sounds neat right? but theres that reason there aint much buzz: Its by the developers of Lords of the Fallen. Which if souls was a genre LotF would be the rock bottom of it. So naturally i'm approaching the title with some trepidation. I hear its better than that but still the setting cant help but inspire some brink vibes. Still from what i've seen its more bloodborne than dark souls which is a nice change.

Plus god knows i've wanted a sci-fi take on the formula since Demon's Souls 8 years ago.

What do you make of it? Heres some gameplay of the first few minutes, but warning its got a very minor spoiler of a very interesting reveal about the character and why its a character not a create a character deal:

I think I'll probably pick it up next week sometime. I thought it looked pretty cool when they first revealed gameplay videos, so I've been following it a little bit since then. I don't usually play these types of games either, but the combat in combination with the crafting sounds cool. Like being able to target a limb to cut it off, then you have the recipe to make it. I've got nothing else to play right now too.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2017-05-15 at 11:51 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Videos I've watched of it remind me too much of Lords Of The Fallen aka "Clunky Souls"

- - - Updated - - -

Bloodborne and Salt and Sanctuary are two of my favorite games but I'll be waiting for this one to be half off.

I'm watching a play through atm to try to get a feel for it. I'll have to look at reviews as well. If it is a legit addition to the souls-style games like Nioh was, I'll have to give it a shot.

Watched TB's WTF and a few other videos and I think the combat is really slow, like fucking slow. Even a Havel monster using Dragon's Tooth or Ledo's Hammer in Dark Souls feels faster than this protagonist.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

10+ Year Old Account
    Combat looks slow af, killing robots is never enjoyable in games to me, and it looks like a blatant ripoff with no innovation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Combat looks slow af, killing robots is never enjoyable in games to me, and it looks like a blatant ripoff with no innovation.
    This game looks interesting and I don't play games to make killing enjoyable.
    "Every country has the government it deserves."
    Joseph de Maistre (1753 – 1821)

So far, I'm loving the game. On what people think about its combat being slow, I'd have to disagree. Most uploads/playthroughs that I've seen so far (I normally watch the first episodes from a few different players to get an idea of what a game's like if I'm not sure), have been with Heavy builds, using slow weapons. In the 'first 18 minutes video', the weapon used is a lot like the Club in Dark Souls 1, with long swing times for most strong attacks and a couple of slightly faster attacks.

For those concerned about being slow attacking or only having big chunky weapons, I'd recommend checking out this 5 minute gameplay clip I threw together of a small area I'd just found a shortcut to:

I'm using a dual-wield weapon type that I'd just ripped off an enemy's body and was figuring out the moveset to.

I just beat the first boss and got to the second area and so far this is not a dark souls clone, this is a bloodborne clone. Its layout even feels like central yharnam. I went lynx over rhino and gottagofast feels right for this game. So far really enjoying it.

- - - Updated - - -

Too late found a power up for the first boss. There is a overclocked version of the glowing spectre weapon in the bottom of the power station in the dark. You need to make a suicide run through acid so dont take any tech scrap you cant lose with you. Its like 90% as good as the weapon the boss drops and is significantly better than anything you will find in the first area. Shame i found it on a revisit at lvl.35 where it was no longer worth using

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    So far, I'm loving the game. On what people think about its combat being slow, I'd have to disagree. Most uploads/playthroughs that I've seen so far (I normally watch the first episodes from a few different players to get an idea of what a game's like if I'm not sure), have been with Heavy builds, using slow weapons. In the 'first 18 minutes video', the weapon used is a lot like the Club in Dark Souls 1, with long swing times for most strong attacks and a couple of slightly faster attacks.

For those concerned about being slow attacking or only having big chunky weapons, I'd recommend checking out this 5 minute gameplay clip I threw together of a small area I'd just found a shortcut to:

I'm using a dual-wield weapon type that I'd just ripped off an enemy's body and was figuring out the moveset to.
    Dude, this is more of what I needed to see, much appreciated.
    @dope_danny if this is akin to Bloodborne I'm sold.

Deleted
    Is it avalaible on PC or only on PS4? Even google can't help me with this one lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    Is it avalaible on PC or only on PS4? Even google can't help me with this one lol
    It's been on Steam for a few days now, probably available else where too.

Just downed the second boss and heading into the biochem research area. So far really enjoying the way it uses weapons. Not a perfect game but i'm enjoying it more than DS3 but not as much as Nioh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting find guys, I will definitely check it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AbortedGodFetus View Post
    Videos I've watched of it remind me too much of Lords Of The Fallen aka "Clunky Souls"

- - - Updated - - -

Bloodborne and Salt and Sanctuary are two of my favorite games but I'll be waiting for this one to be half off.
    Lords of the Fallen wasn't terrible per say. Honestly, it's just that the difficulty seems to be based around non-obvious and unsatisfying mechanics, whereas the souls games and bloodborne is centered around a more visceral, quick-thinking and unforgiving mechanics (much more so for Bloodborne).

I had never heard of Salt and Sanctuary before, and now it's added on my Steam Wishlist. May even buy it this weekend!

OT: How's it standing on its own? The critics seem unsure about it. I personally vastly prefer the medieval atmosphere over the sci-fi one, but with a compelling gameplay, I don't mind jumping in.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage BloodElf4Life View Post
    Lords of the Fallen wasn't terrible per say. Honestly, it's just that the difficulty seems to be based around non-obvious and unsatisfying mechanics, whereas the souls games and bloodborne is centered around a more visceral, quick-thinking and unforgiving mechanics (much more so for Bloodborne).

I had never heard of Salt and Sanctuary before, and now it's added on my Steam Wishlist. May even buy it this weekend!

OT: How's it standing on its own? The critics seem unsure about it. I personally vastly prefer the medieval atmosphere over the sci-fi one, but with a compelling gameplay, I don't mind jumping in.
    I think its pretty good. Its wierd but i keep seeing folks online saying "lotta bad buzz around it" without any signs of said buzz. Like folks trying to convince themselves its not worth purchasing? maybe its folks who fall into that "get hype" screamer streamer culture and have to buy almost every release or something. Personally it just feels like Bloodborne but there is more of the 'treasure hidden behind platforming you could forget you can do' stuff of dark souls 1 in it.

I'm not into the game as much as I want myself to be. Can't pinpoint why.

At the 3rd boss and it really picks up, its effectively a multi part construction machine that you fight on that shifts and changes as you fight it above a death drop. Along with new security drones and military level tech showing up its turning into what i wanted Horizon to be which is basically the part carving of monster hunter but with robots.

So Is worth the game or not? Maybe waiting to a drop in the price...

Quote Originally Posted by Soulflayer View Post
    So Is worth the game or not? Maybe waiting to a drop in the price...
    It's absolutely worth it in my opinion. Somewhere between Dark Souls and Bloodborne, with a sci-fi tint and a few interesting variations on core combat systems from those games.

It's actually a shame that it seems to have been passed over by most forms of media and seems like it will just kind of disappear without ever really being noticed.