10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    yep it didn't make much sense of why fire magic would be forbidded when Yen himself used, maybe it was a mistake, and they were talking about "demonic fire" or the one who use your own body, like they did.
    The impression I got was that the reason that they were referring to what Fringilla was doing as specifically "forbidden" was that she was essentially having these other rogue mages/sorceresses use their entire life force to power the spells they were using (and make super-powered versions of them, I suppose, like the fireballs?). I'm not sure it was the specific schools of magic she was using so much as how she was going about using them.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    The impression I got was that the reason that they were referring to what Fringilla was doing as specifically "forbidden" was that she was essentially having these other rogue mages/sorceresses use their entire life force to power the spells they were using (and make super-powered versions of them, I suppose, like the fireballs?). I'm not sure it was the specific schools of magic she was using so much as how she was going about using them.
    i had this kind of impression too, but like i said it was either bad explained or they misunderstood the concept

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    You have an odd taste in literature in my opinion then.
    i like when the story/adventure is revolved around a small group or a person, that is indeed my taste, if its odd or not i can't do much

when its revolved around sooo much people, and soo many things, and its just people appearing to die it rly don't hold me

For me the ASOIAF books were an absolute pleasure to read. To this day I still consider them one of the best books I've ever read (along with Fevre Dream a book also strongly recommended by the creator of Dark Souls, who forces his employees to read it at least once). I loved the attention to detail not just in describing the environment but in the carefully laid out plots and non-direct storytelling and insinuations in references towards past historical and mythological events in the world. The witty conversations and the occasional brush with philosophical murmuring. The mood building and the environmental storytelling that comes with it. Another great series in the same stylistic fashion is Foundryside, set in a more fantasy & sci-fi 1800s setting.
    i do like details too, but like i said, i find in ASOIAF a lot of unnecessary details explained in a tiresome way, i tend to rly "devour" a book, i read like 4 books of the serie in a a month and give up, maybe its because i rushed but it did feel unnecessary, and sometimes feel it was just to make the book thick

but i don't find the series bad, away from that, just not that much spectacular like tryhards fans of the serieslike to say, there is also other moves/choices of the author who don't appeal me, neither appeal my concept of "fantasy", and even if his writing is top-tier i just fin the story overall boring, and when something was starting to appeal me, someone died and meh

i still give a second try when the last one is out, but with a grain of salt

she was the "main protagonist" she had to be... they put some shenanigans of elf thing, not necessary indeed

- - - Updated - - -

The elf blood thing is kinda true if i remember correctly. But im not sure. She was twisted and croked, that was true and i really liked that in the show. In books she was healed after suicide atempt by Tissaia or Margarita, cant remember.

not diversity, but forced
    Forced diversity sounds bad, and - to a certain extent - also feels bad.

Unfortunately, experience has shown that change doesn't tend to happen unless you make it happen. If we waited for everyone to just decide to write more diversity into their works, we'd be waiting another hundred years. Not only do people tend to choose the path of least resistance, they also tend to follow a given level of normalcy - so if the norm doesn't change, new materials also won't change (or will change very slowly). It's easy to say "just let it run its course" if you're in ascendancy - not so easy when you're on the margins.

It's like trying the "wait and let them do it on their own" approach when it comes to kids brushing their teeth or eating vegetables. They'll never get there on their own, at least not in a reasonable time. You have to make them do it. And then, eventually, it becomes a normal thing they do on their own. BECAUSE you made them do it in the beginning.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post

It's like trying the "wait and let them do it on their own" approach when it comes to kids brushing their teeth or eating vegetables. They'll never get there on their own, at least not in a reasonable time. You have to make them do it. And then, eventually, it becomes a normal thing they do on their own. BECAUSE you made them do it in the beginning.
    i totally agree in "made then do it", but in a degree, we have plenty of opportunities to do without the forced thing, the best case scenario for me are superhero movies, like not make superman black but bring the black heroes like black panther, to this day im still waiting a Static Shock movie, but i bet it will never happen

i totally agree in "made then do it", but in a degree, we have plenty of opportunities to do without the forced thing, the best case scenario for me are superhero movies, like not make superman black but bring the black heroes like black panther, to this day im still waiting a Static Shock movie, but i bet it will never happen
    I agree, the principle can be sound but the execution totally botched. There's plenty of examples.

One of the more egregious ones is the new Batwoman show: message and intent are great, but HOT DAMN did they screw up the delivery.

3+ Year Old Account
    Rewatched the series for the 5th time. So good.

Eh, I kinda hate-love it. Some of the drama just comes out of nowhere, with no real set up and it feels very odd. Also they could have done something to help with locations/timelines. The Jar Jar really pushed it in some scenes. 5 episodes done today in one sitting.
    Last edited by Voidwielder; 2020-01-02 at 09:34 AM.

Coming to it mostly as an "outsider", I liked it a lot.

I knew most of the main characters, and a bit of the world and such, even though I hadn't played any of the games or read any of the books. I agree some of the time jumping was unnecessary and at times not very clear (for instance Queen Calanthe looking exactly the same on scenes that were some 10+ years apart). Also dislike some of the casting/makeup choices (Triss not having red hair, elves and dryads portrayals). Some plot points were also a bit weird or at least not very well explained or a bit rushed (such as Yen suddenly wanting really bad not to be infertile, and acting like someone "took" her choice when it was her knowing decision to sacrifice her fertility), while other points felt overextended and not very meaningful (a lot of the Ciri traveling around, for instance).

Regardless, while far from perfect in retrospective, it was very enjoyable and interesting to watch, and it did a wonderful job at getting me to finally start playing the games (finished 1 already, will start 2 soon) and interested in getting the books. I really liked particularly how some of the episodes looked like a quest from start to end, I think they did an amazing job at capturing and translating that "videogamey" feeling to video. Also Cavill did an amazing job and his portrayal of Geralt looked a lot better than I hoped. In general it was a lot better than I was expecting.
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2020-01-02 at 10:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I had to rank season one as a whole It'll be 6/10.

I don;t feel its as great as everyone says it is, its not bad either, all the actors do good with what they are given but the books are far better paced, Seaosn 1 seems to mostly derive from The Last Wish (the first book). And the books really do a better job at seting a s ene and letting characters breathe.

I do have two favourite episodes. The End's Beginning (the first episode) and Betrayers Moon, both really are the closest we got to the books and even those took a lot of liberties. I do have my problems but most seem very nit picky. But I did like them alot

I didn't like the pacing overall. The Yennifer stuff I liked, I see a lot of people hating on it, but its actually a development I welcome. The series as a whole felt like it could have slowed down in places. I do feel maybe it's Season One blues, that most shows start out with. Seeing as it's done so well I expect better quality in the next season. People are bigging this show up as 'Better than Game of Thornes' I disagree, Thrones did it so much better. But Witcher isnt too far off.

I still think the books and the video game are better, but all three mediums are good never the less.

Far from perfect and a bit rough, but still some fun to be had.

I went in with kinda low expectations due to loving Witcher 3 so much, but omg the series is so good. Henry Cavill is pretty much the perfect Geralt and while i wanted Eva Green as Yennefer (and still think she would have done a better after-transformation) Anya Chalotra was very very good before-transformation, I thought that was amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    He's actually British though...
    Yeah i found out a few days after posting ><

my bad

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    People are bigging this show up as 'Better than Game of Thrones' I disagree, Thrones did it so much better. But Witcher isnt too far off.
    I do agree that overall, GoT simply was basically a level above everything else, from the intrigue and dialogue, to the costumes and CGI, at least for the first half (and that Nilfgaardian armor cannot be forgiven).

I think they're not even very comparable as of yet. I mean both can be seen as "dark fantasy" and have fancy fight/battle scenes, but ultimately Witcher is much more upfront and even central about its fantasy elements, from the very first episode. In Game of Thrones a lot of the fantasy elements are mostly irrelevant to the story or even presented as myths or even hearsay for a big part of its duration. GoT also focused a lot more on political intrigue and a grand scheme, showing the story from the perspective of a multitude of different characters with fairly different stories (sometimes almost directly unconnected), while Witcher focuses on the story of Geralt, Yen and Ciri (talking about the show, haven't read the books yet).

So they're definitely very different beasts, Witcher has a much more episodic nature, being that they could essentially just make every episode an independent "quest" without much of an overarching story and it would still be good. So far I'd say the Witcher series is more like Supernatural than it is like Game of Thrones.
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2020-01-03 at 10:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    this has the potential to go beyond GoT, but not at the current point of the timeline. the first 2 books (and the 2015 book in between) all tell a bunch of 'one off' adventures of Geralt with a dash of Yennefer.

this entire season was building premise and giving background - nothing really important has happend yet, it's all just moving pawns.
    This is a signature, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mteq View Post
    this has the potential to go beyond GoT, but not at the current point of the timeline. the first 2 books (and the 2015 book in between) all tell a bunch of 'one off' adventures of Geralt with a dash of Yennefer.

this entire season was building premise and giving background - nothing really important has happend yet, it's all just moving pawns.
    I've heard they plan in doing about 7 seasons in total.
    <3

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    I went in with kinda low expectations due to loving Witcher 3 so much, but omg the series is so good. Henry Cavill is pretty much the perfect Geralt and while i wanted Eva Green as Yennefer (and still think she would have done a better after-transformation) Anya Chalotra was very very good before-transformation, I thought that was amazing.
    She's actually a badass. She did an amazing job on both before and after transformation. And irl she is shy, so you can tell she actually is a good actress, she can do everything for the acting. She will be just fine. Eva Green is perfect but Anya was stunning and on point. Made her character even more interesting.

And Henry... what a perfect actor for the role. He is also on point on the "Hmms" of Geralt, he really is taking everything from the books and the games, to fit perfectly, he first played the games, then read the books, he is also on point on how he moves, how he fights, the voice and it's all him as he doesn't want or believes in doubles to make the fight and himself said that on a interview and that it's more appealing the people knowing it's the actual character doing that, than someone to take his place.

This worked also on Arya in GoT, they said she was the best, got the movements perfect, and indeed we feel a more immersive feeling seeing it, like "wow that's amazing".

Cavill nerds out on Witcher so much, he asked for the role, to make sure it would be perfect. He is so dedicated!
    Last edited by Shakana; 2020-01-03 at 02:23 PM.

was this meant to be a comedy?

the bard was the worst character complete garbage, this show had cheesy visuals from the 1980's mixed with Dr Who level acting.

the best parts are where the guy goes rolling down the hill and hits the tree LMAO
    and when the dragon starts talking without moving its mouth. LOOOL

1/10

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say the show is 6/10.

Seems like they did not give it enough budget there, which is unfortunate.

Needed more bright red hair on Triss.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I'd say the show is 6/10.

Seems like they did not give it enough budget there, which is unfortunate.
    Enjoyed it but I hope they put some more work into season 2, plus yennifer is very hot

Also made me replay witcher 3 on ps4 like alot of people did it hit 100k players on steam a few days ago highest it's ever been so show certainly helped with game sales lol.
    Do you hear the voices too?