Page 97 of 146 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Somehow season two manages to feel even more pulpy than the first.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    eskel is a totally irrelevant character in the books though, so he hardly matters. they could have made him a donkey and the story would not be impacted lol
    It was still a very stupid take on the character.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2021-12-20 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Is your take on it. The author disagrees.
    The author didn't say it's a faithful adaptation, he said he enjoyed the show.

You didn’t post your opinions of the adaptation? That’s known as a take bud…

For reference

Is your take on it. The author disagrees.
    It's not a 'take', it's a list of things the show did differently to the books. It's not really possible to disagree with it, other than perhaps what Vessemir would have done. But for the second time you've not elaborated, so I still don't know what he disagrees with.

The author is getting paid now, anyway. I doubt he gives a flying fuck about how faithful the show is to his books as long as it doesn't go off the rails.
    "yOu aRe wRoNg" - Darththeo

7+ Year Old Account
    I didn't really enjoy Vesemirs performance, it felt quite lackluster.
    And the final episode had quite a lot of just standing around and a very 'waiting for the signal' kinda vibe.

Other than that, i quite enjoyed it.

Formerly known as Arafal

Along with your opinions on it, it’s not a factual list. It’s entirely based in your take that they fucked shit up.
    Vilgefortz is weaker in the show.
    Voleth Meir was not in the books.
    Most of the events at Kaer Morhan didn't happen in the books.
    Yennefer didn't lose her magic in the books.

These are facts. Not sure why you're taking issue with them *shrug*

He said they did an excellent job adapting his works.
    Yes, and it still doesn't mean it was faithful. Excellent adaptation doesn't have to be faithful, and faithful adaptation doesn't have to be excellent. So no, the author didin't disagree. By the way, the things mentioned by @DarkAmbient is just the tip of an iceberg. There are many, many things (both small and big) in the show that do not appear in the books or that do appear, but in a very different manner. Doesn't mean it's a bad show, but it's hardly a faithful adaptation.

The point is that the person I was responding to called it a bad adaptation. The author disagrees. Get it?
    No I don't, because quite obviously you have problems with reading comprehension.
    The OP has only said that if you expect a faithful retelling, you can be disappointed, and he has also said that none of it is objectively bad, it's just against what the showrunner promised to the fans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Season 2 felt like a letdown from season 1.
    The interplay of Witcher and Dandelion were the best parts of season 1. It was mostly missing from season 2, until the last 2 episodes.
    Seriously, the author should license "Witcher: The Musical" and get that shit to Broadway like "Wicked".

Glad that they gave Witcher more lines this season. Damn shame shame Cavil wasted with the the stupid Christian-Bale-intense-whisper delivery. I couldnt understand him half the time. It was really annoying when it was on his character to deliver key plot elements. Like why is the curse broken ... *Witcher grumbles something only dogs can hear*.

There was a lot prophecy and world building in this season. The writing and acting left it mostly unintelligible. Which made me miss Dandelion all the more, seriously, have him do the major exposition.

I think I missed something, was Yen's lack of magic all in her head?

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Since it's not something from the books, we don't really have background info that explains it in more detail. Interpret it as you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I got the impression it was being held captive by the Deathless Mother. Her magic would be restored once Yennefer brought Ciri to her. So once the Deathless Mother escaped back to her sphere, Yennefer's chaos was restored.

He said they did an excellent job adapting his works.

- - - Updated - - -

Along with your opinions on it, it’s not a factual list. It’s entirely based in your take that they fucked shit up.

- - - Updated - - -

Totally, artists don’t give two fucks about their work. Only money.
    This season is undoubtedly a mixed bag, maybe even to a higher degree than the first.

Tbh, Sapkowski is known to be kind of an ass in the writing world - he also tried to re-negotiate the CDPR deal asking for like $15m cause the games were way more successful than he thought they'd be even tho he was offered a % deal that he himself refused. He probably has a solid deal with Netflix.

Let's check out some other Sapkowski quotes on adaptations of his books:

"If we level the field between books and their adaptations in other media, only the former can be the ones telling a story"
    About his involvement in the Witcher show's production:

"Not very much, on my own request. I do not like working too hard or too long. By the way, I do not like working at all."
    And let's not forget GRRM was high on praise for GoT, before it was revealed he begged HBO execs not to let D&D ditch it at 8th season but instead do 10 full seasons.

All I'm saying is we should take promotions with a grain of salt. It's no different than actors giving cool red carpet interviews tho their film already bombed in pre-screenings. There is no world in which Sapkowski would criticize the deal of his life while it's still on.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2021-12-20 at 10:26 PM.

Definitely a mixed bag. The second half of the season was a lot less engaging than the first half, and I definitely enjoyed the first season more than this one. The actress playing Francesca Findabair was terrible, also.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Finished the whole thing and I have to say it felt like only half a season and that it should have had more episodes.

I want to say Mabye they wasted episode time that could have been used else where but really the only part I can think of to be a waste is the beauty and the beast episode.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Just finished watching season 2. Seems pretty disjointed and all over the place at times but I'm at least glad they didn't time skip jump all over the place without any indication like season one.

Then there's stuff like Eskel saying he hoped Geralt could have helped with his infection, despite the fact the he made no effort at all to even tell him about it.
    The other witchers blaming Ciri for losing Eskel but I really can't see what she had anything to do with him.
    The powerful witchers being brought down by what is essentially a small girl with a smaller knife sneaking up on them while they are sleeping.
    Witcher medallions looking like that.
    It was painfully obvious during the first few episodes that Henry Cavill was swinging his sword at nothing during his CGI monster fights.

And honestly I've at least done a casual playthrough of Witcher 3 and there's still far to many name drops for me to keep track of. But hey, at least Triss is a red head now.

I would say that the second season is good despite the changes, not as good as season one, some parts felt too slow while others felt rushed, but it was still an entertaining thing to watch.

In the end any adaptation can change stuff, add new things or even ignore some events or characters entirely for the sake of fitting whatever they want to tell with the amount of time and budget they have available and sadly nowadays not many shows get enough episodes. In my opinion this show is certainly above your average fantasy show, but still really far from being the best.

I found funny that they changed Triss hair color. It felt like them admitting that it was a bad casting choice, at least now she is more recognizable and stands out a bit... sadly fixing some of the other casting choices is not as simple as that.
    "Mastery Haste will fix it."

The fights were cool in season two

Finished the 2nd season, way better than the first one, really good watch. But pretty damn flawed.

I liked most of the changes. The Witch, Geralt not knowing Yennefer is alive, Istredd, Dijkstra looking like a grizzled MMA fighter, more lore about Francesca, even Vesemir being a rascal are all good in my opinion, and I've read the books way too many freaking times. It's a show, it would be a shame if it was just actors reading through the pages, it's more fun when an author makes a creative spin on things. Some changes were better, some not so great (sudden focus on those monoliths, for one), but it overall was a good watch.

One thing that bothered me was a monster-of-a-week format. OG novels, despite being all about a monster slayer, didn't have that much monster slaying in them. And if they had, most of the times the monster encounters were solved peacefully or in a comedic fashion, so the few real fights were that much more precious. For some reason the show had a big Dark Souls Boss fight in every other episode, like with Treeskel, weird gargoyle guy and the wyvern. The choreography is great, especially in the Michellin Brothers fight, but it kind of feels like Marvel made those sometimes. Like we can't have an episode without a flashy CGI fight, right?

Love the updated look on Triss, she looks just like I imagined her - aside of the hair, but I can't tell red from brown anyway.