Quote Originally Posted by Shakana View Post
    I don't find it difficult to understand too. They are showing how other characters are made, and the beginning he doesn't even have the scars or beard, and for example on the wild hunt he has scars and beard and ciri has same scar as him.

I can only say i love the series and i just got a bit annoyed with the actresses they chose to portrait triss and yennifer is ok but i would imagine her a bit more like eva green, jennifer connely or rachel weisz style. Ciri is too young to tell something as i know her older.

I'm only at 5th episode and i want to see how it unfolds and when he gets his make up scars done. I mean if they are focusing so much on how all started even yennifer deformed i'm guessing with time, they will focus more on geralt. Remember it's not a movie, but tv series, they need material to give it more seasons too. They are just starting.
    The material for the show is almost entirely from books - although they have some free reign. They are pretty much leading right into The Blood of Elves which is where they go from multiple series of short stories into multiple novels.

Also if anything the only problem with the Ciri casting is that she's slightly too old. Does a fantastic job in the series, hoping she has great chemistry with Geralt and Yenn. She's really going to have to shine in season 2 which if they lead into Blood of Elves will require some significant work on her part as she becomes a "witcher girl."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    If that's about the superheroes, they're worldwide celebrities who save the world every other week. Any ignorance on their adversary's part is inexcusable.

In the case of Witchers, the random person might not know all their capabilities, but if you tell me "this guy's job is to find the biggest, ugliest, most terrifying monsters in the land and kill them for profit, also he's made of magic and stuff", I would give the man an even wider berth than if you told me he strangles bears for fun. Plus again, that doesn't excuse the myriads of times that random thugs don't beat it and flee for their lives when it's clear they're up against a medieval Jedi for whom they might as well be flies that he can swat with impunity.

I can get not being respectful of Witchers, but open contempt and hostility towards people with such dread reputations always struck me as downright stupid if not suicidal behavior. Geralt had just showed that he could have absolutely butchered the crowd at the end of Episode 1 had he wanted to for example, but no one seemed cowed by him somehow. I'd run for the hills after seeing anyone mow down 10 armed men without breaking a sweat, not throw pebbles at him.
    I'm not sure if they address it in the games - haven't played or seen much of the first two and they didn't really talk about it in the third - but there were multiple causes for the downfall of the Witcher orders. One of them being a pamphlet created by and disseminated by a wizard that decided it would be in the best interest of the world to get rid of them. It never says why but from the themes of the fictional universe it could have ranged from a petty rivalry with the wizards that first created the Witcher orders, being upset at the Witchers for not violating their orders of neutrality (they are supposed to stay out of politics and aren't assassins), a Witcher slept with them and left or slept with someone they love, or a Witcher killed one of their pet monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    If that's about the superheroes, they're worldwide celebrities who save the world every other week. Any ignorance on their adversary's part is inexcusable.

In the case of Witchers, the random person might not know all their capabilities, but if you tell me "this guy's job is to find the biggest, ugliest, most terrifying monsters in the land and kill them for profit, also he's made of magic and stuff", I would give the man an even wider berth than if you told me he strangles bears for fun. Plus again, that doesn't excuse the myriads of times that random thugs don't beat it and flee for their lives when it's clear they're up against a medieval Jedi for whom they might as well be flies that he can swat with impunity.

I can get not being respectful of Witchers, but open contempt and hostility towards people with such dread reputations always struck me as downright stupid if not suicidal behavior. Geralt had just showed that he could have absolutely butchered the crowd at the end of Episode 1 had he wanted to for example, but no one seemed cowed by him somehow. I'd run for the hills after seeing anyone mow down 10 armed men without breaking a sweat, not throw pebbles at him.
    if you want to create a strawman celebrity superhero that exactly proves your point then sure yea you win grats

if youre talking about witchers, then i dont remember anyone ever sitting down a thug and being like "this guy's job is to find the biggest, ugliest, most terryfing monsters in the land and kill them for profit, also he's made of magic and stuff". sorry i mustve missed that.

you also probably would not give him a wider berth during the myriad of times that random thugs don't flee when its "clear" they're up against a medieval jedi. cuse you know that you were literally hired for your martial ability to kill this guy. you also know a guaranteed way to die slowly and painfully, renege on this contract, beacuse youll never get hired again and/or the person who hired you will outright find you and kill you.

people dont have reputations in medieval time because youve literally never heard anything about anyone outside of your village. thats a key themes as to why witchers exist, because the world needs outsiders.

i get that you cant imagine the world outside of your little bubble, but you should probably not try to insult others because you cant possibly imagine something

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Because usually game audiences and movie audiences aren't the same.
    Oh i'm sorry, didn't realize we were talking about the Witcher here...oh wait.

The audience is the same so your argument is as hollow as it gets.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kallor View Post
    Triss isn't that important in the books, nor is Fringilla. The witcher books describe characters, sure, but my point is that for Tolkien language and ethnography was more important than even the story. He made up a story for the world the created, so that world should be treated with more "respect" in an adaption than is necessary in a Witcher-adaption.
    Triss is literally the main character for most of the 3rd book. Triss and Ciri, but either way, saying she isn't that important in the books is like saying any character other than the main two(Geralt and Ciri) aren't that important.
    Last edited by Ulfric Trumpcloak; 2019-12-27 at 03:08 AM.

Are these series the most overhyped shit ever?

We quite enjoyed it, especially after viewing Mandalorian, which is just euuurgh. But everyone is going "OMGOSH THE SWORD FIGHTING"... I mean it literally had 1 very good scene in 1 episode. All other scenes were same camera cut cut cut unimaginative poop. Timeline jumps were useless. I mean it's good, but nothing above average.

Are the fanbois so butthurt about that very successful review where he said he skipped episodes? lol
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    The show failed to illustrate exactly what a Witcher is and how someone becomes one. Right now all you know is it's some dude whose orange eyes turn black when he fights monsters, oh and he drinks potions occasionally. I would have liked to know more about the process.
    Exactly. The show is a failure from the point of view of someone who isn't familiar with the world of the witcher.

Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    if you want to create a strawman celebrity superhero that exactly proves your point then sure yea you win grats

if youre talking about witchers, then i dont remember anyone ever sitting down a thug and being like "this guy's job is to find the biggest, ugliest, most terryfing monsters in the land and kill them for profit, also he's made of magic and stuff". sorry i mustve missed that.

you also probably would not give him a wider berth during the myriad of times that random thugs don't flee when its "clear" they're up against a medieval jedi. cuse you know that you were literally hired for your martial ability to kill this guy. you also know a guaranteed way to die slowly and painfully, renege on this contract, beacuse youll never get hired again and/or the person who hired you will outright find you and kill you.

people dont have reputations in medieval time because youve literally never heard anything about anyone outside of your village. thats a key themes as to why witchers exist, because the world needs outsiders.

i get that you cant imagine the world outside of your little bubble, but you should probably not try to insult others because you cant possibly imagine something
    No idea why you get so hostile there, I wasn't aware that commenting on the behavior of fictional characters meant I was insulting someone.

Point is, Witchers have a reputation, else they wouldn't, you know, have a bad one. Mutants, freaks, and all that jazz, but everyone also seems to know they're monster hunters- and in a world where "monsters" start at Drowners and only get much bigger and nastier from there, anyone who has that job and is still alive to tell the tale should inspire at least a minimum of caution, and him slaughtering armed men with such ease should, it seems, inspire fear in most people. It all seems kinda forced to be honest.

You can be on the NY Times bestseller by selling 9k books in your first week.

It's not like video games or music or movies.

No one buys books any more, not even digitally.

I read the original Game of Thrones book in the 90s, when I was in high school, and maybe the 2nd one before I lost track of the series when I went to university in 1999. I had never met anyone else who had ever read them at all until many, many years into my WoW raiding career, when I was getting to know some real hardcore nerds like myself. And then, they announced the series was being made, and then every nerd ever picked them up.

Hell, I even got a 2nd set of the books from my sister (who was an athlete and a homecoming queen type of person) for Christmas one year, and she literally thought they were the latest craze, in like, 2013.

10+ Year Old Account
    Watched most of them on netflix. Kinda lost interest. There were some enjoyable things in there, but it was just too cringy. Call me spoiled, but low budget didn't help either. But I guess that might improve, like it did for Game of Thrones. I recall the White Walkers looking like absolute crap, just like how that Gold Dragon looks like crap in the netflix series.

Also a bit disappointing the Nilfgaardians didn't have that sexy accent and the lovely made-up language, like they did in Witcher 3. Or is that something that only exists in the game, with books never mentioning any kind of differing language and/or accent?

And what was that evil doppler all about? I thought they were all good natured? Actually googled that one, and it just left me a little puzzled. Oh well, I guess an evil doppler might make good TV? /Shrug.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    Are these series the most overhyped shit ever?
    i think its hyped to not be bad, something netflix do shit adaptations now and then, people, at least me, was holding breath expecting to not be shit, especially after some actors choices, and it was damn good to se it was decent, not a masterpiece obviously, but good and enjoyable overall

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    You can be on the NY Times bestseller by selling 9k books in your first week.

It's not like video games or music or movies.

No one buys books any more, not even digitally.

I read the original Game of Thrones book in the 90s, when I was in high school, and maybe the 2nd one before I lost track of the series when I went to university in 1999. I had never met anyone else who had ever read them at all until many, many years into my WoW raiding career, when I was getting to know some real hardcore nerds like myself. And then, they announced the series was being made, and then every nerd ever picked them up.

Hell, I even got a 2nd set of the books from my sister (who was an athlete and a homecoming queen type of person) for Christmas one year, and she literally thought they were the latest craze, in like, 2013.
    remember something like that too, when i was reading the lord of the ring series, my history teacher was introducing to me some of those books when i was young, 13-15 i guess, and she was going to send the hobbit and the first book of got before she died

no one i knew, even on the internet knew about it, until the serie came up, strangely after it, everyone love this kind of genre now

I mean, LOTR was much more widespread than GoT. Hell, all the hippies at Woodstock loved Frodo.

But yeah, GoT was in a very similar place to The Witcher before HBO did the show. Why do you think GRRM doesn't write books any more? He probably made more money in the 8 seasons of GoT than he did in the previous 30 years of book sales.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    her hair is quoted as chestnut the exact number of times it is quoted as red in the books. soooooo...
    Chestnut is red, it is just a brown-red, not the fiery orange-red created by CD Projekt Red. But really, it doesn't matter in the slightest. What baring does the color of her hair have on the plot or on her character at all? Zero.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    Oh i'm sorry, didn't realize we were talking about the Witcher here...oh wait.

The audience is the same so your argument is as hollow as it gets.

- - - Updated - - -

Triss is literally the main character for most of the 3rd book. Triss and Ciri, but either way, saying she isn't that important in the books is like saying any character other than the main two(Geralt and Ciri) aren't that important.
    You think "critics" and bloggers that either applaud or criticise this sort of stuff in film are gamers too?

You think that those who go on about "women this" "black ppl that" had a play through of the games?

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Archer View Post
    I'm specifically saying the opposite, you don't have to be big brain to realise it.
    You most positively said the opposite in your last post.

And I'm not saying it was impossible to decipher. I'm saying -- and let me use really simple, slowly spoken words here for you -- that it was poorly done on a production level. It doesn't make you a genius for figuring it out. It doesn't make others simple-minded for being confused by it. THE STORYTELLING METHODS WERE POORLY DONE.

I don't know why you have to convince yourself of the contrary in order to like the show. I really don't. But it doesn't change the fact that it was, indeed, poorly done. Do you know how one knows it was poorly done? Because people were fucking confused by it. There was literally -nothing- there to indicate that different timelines were going on until, completely out of the blue, the queen came storming into her ballroom like nothing had happened several episodes after having killed herself.

And again another show did a similar thing of having different timelines going on. But do you know what they did? Not only did they give all kinds of actual, noticeable, and intelligent clues from the very beginning, but they came out and put all the pieces together without going "omg guys, see, different timelines you guys!" in "big bold letters" as someone else in this thread arrogantly claimed had to be done for the audience. They did it through the story by making the different timelines not only relevant to the storytelling, but making it a fun game for the audience.

Witcher just took three timelines, threw them there, and said "fuck it, or job is done. And if anyone complains, I'm sure the hipster sycophants out there will back us up so they can feel like they're suprageniuses and shit. I'm just joking, we didn't even think that much about it."

That --is-- most definitely shitty storytelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    i think its hyped to not be bad, something netflix do shit adaptations now and then, people, at least me, was holding breath expecting to not be shit, especially after some actors choices, and it was damn good to se it was decent, not a masterpiece obviously, but good and enjoyable overall
    Hah, too true, Netflix finally releasing watchable content is a christmas miracle.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

You think "critics" and bloggers that either applaud or criticise this sort of stuff in film are gamers too?

You think that those who go on about "women this" "black ppl that" had a play through of the games?
    Yes(10 chars)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    Yes(10 chars)
    Well, your thinking is different than my own.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I mean, LOTR was much more widespread than GoT. Hell, all the hippies at Woodstock loved Frodo.

But yeah, GoT was in a very similar place to The Witcher before HBO did the show. Why do you think GRRM doesn't write books any more? He probably made more money in the 8 seasons of GoT than he did in the previous 30 years of book sales.
    Most people I know knew about a song of Ice and fire for ages. I think the label game of thrones was just not known by most people for obvious reasons. Here in Germany I never heard anyone mention the hobbit before the movies came out but Lord of the Rings was at least somewhat out there - and I wasn't hugely into fantasy at the time.

As for the witcher books: As much as I love them, they were purely popularized on the back of games, even though some already made it here before them. This might have been different in certain hardcore fantasy circles or Poland, but certainly for the widespread audience it holds true imho.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2019-12-27 at 05:03 PM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Well, your thinking is different than my own.
    The Witcher 3 currently has 74k people playing on steam, the most it has had by far since its release when it peaked at 92k. At no other point other than at launch did it go over 55k concurrent players, and that was the 2nd month after release. You don't think the Netflix series had anything to do with that?

The audience is mostly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Most people I know knew about a song of Ice and fire for ages. I think the label game of thrones was just not known by most people for obvious reasons. Here in Germany I never heard anyone mention the hobbit before the movies came out but Lord of the Rings was at least somewhat out there - and I wasn't hugely into fantasy at the time.

As for the witcher books: As much as I love them, they were purely popularized on the back of games, even though some already made it here before them. This might have been different in certain hardcore fantasy circles or Poland, but certainly for the widespread audience it holds true imho.
    I'm guessing your immediate circle is fantasy readers? or something? I first found out about Song of Ice and fire mid 2000 and ONLY because a college buddy was a fan. so my personal experience doesn't match your personal experience. however, the entire point is moot, becasue regardless of your personal circle, general public didn't know about GoT until HBO series. so.. jut as games brought awareness of Witcher to general public, HBO brought awareness of Song of Ice and fire to general public that was unaware of the books prior to that. as i said, reacting to red wedding would NOT have been possible without a few who were aware - recording majority that were NOT.

in other words - the means by which the books have become popular, are adaptations and that holds true for BOTH Witcher and GoT.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post

LOTR is occasionally taught in secondary-level schools, here. Frodo was an icon at Woodstock. It was waaaaaaay more widespread, at least in the U.S., maybe cause it has that cultural touchstone with Woodstock.

IDK, no one I knew in high school or university had heard about ASoIaF either. The only people I knew who knew it were people I knew from WoW (which launched after I finished after university). And everyone knows those people aren't real until you get drunk with them one Friday night on Ventrilo.