Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Bloodsail Admiral Killmaim Deathbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    crusty goldhen is dah best

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    So another top end guild falls apart, and Christie Golden goes from being contracted to write shitty novels for Blizzard to a full time staff (presumably writer) for Blizzard... have they actually read the trash she has produced for them?
    She's full-time horrible.

Sure, she's told what to write and so her hands are tied narratively, but she's still the one putting out garbage for a paycheck.

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    I guess with Metzen gone they needed to restock the shelves with terrible writers.
    the only bad thing that i recall from her blizzard books was that fucking travesty of a trial, and don't think that was her fault really. it wouldn't have happened if blizzard didn't want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrowful Gondola View Post
    Why so much hate for Christie... she is a decent witter.
    bolded the reason

Yeah, but does Kuznam have WF Wyrmtongue chests done like me?? DOUBT IT!!

Am I getting poached by Method now!?

Seriously, go get a gym membership or something dude

OH NO AM I A HATER??

..he must have done something right #logic

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    bolded the reason
    It can't be that they don't like her work? Never heard of her till now to be honest, but everyone's criticisms are centered around her being a poor writer.

Not that I care whether she is good or not. Apparently she's been writing quite a few Warcraft related books which I've never had the inclination to read in the first place.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Or they could of hired the person who wrote the 50 Shades of Crap novels, if you want horrible writing that series is beyond terrible..

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    bolded the reason
    /yawn. Why is it any form of criticism against an artists work is instantly invalidated these days if they are a Woman. She has written quite a few good books but she has also written some shit house ones. People are allowed to be wary of that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewalrus2010 View Post
    It can't be that they don't like her work? Never heard of her till now to be honest, but everyone's criticisms are centered around her being a poor writer.

Not that I care whether she is good or not. Apparently she's been writing quite a few Warcraft related books which I've never had the inclination to read in the first place.
    She has wrote some good ones, Her Star Wars novels were pretty good, and half of her Warcraft ones are, but some just feel like they have a lack of any meaningful story that could easily be explained with 2 boxes of text in game.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    /yawn. Why is it any form of criticism against an artists work is instantly invalidated these days if they are a Woman. She has written quite a few good books but she has also written some shit house ones. People are allowed to be wary of that.

- - - Updated - - -

She has wrote some good ones, Her Star Wars novels were pretty good, and half of her Warcraft ones are, but some just feel like they have a lack of any meaningful story that could easily be explained with 2 boxes of text in game.
    more of just i havent really heard any reasons why her writing is bad other then "she makes the lore all girly and ships everyone"

more of just i havent really heard any reasons why her writing is bad other then "she makes the lore all girly and ships everyone"
    I seriously saw one comment somewhere that blamed her for

1) Garrosh being a villain

2) Jaina x Kalec

3) Jaina going through "menopause"

Do people seriously think the writers have that kind of freedom? Do they think these writers call Blizzard and go "hey got a story idea" and Blizzard just goes DAMN IT, sighs and allows them to use their property without limitation?

I like Christie, so far the only books I disliked were The Shattering and Twilight of the Aspects. I thought War Crimes was great though.

Hard to top Arthas and Lord of the Clans, but either way I'm always glad to see her working with Blizz

Edit: To be fair, I'm not much of a novel critic. I liked a lot of Knaak's books but he's hated by everyone it seems. I can understand hating War of the Ancients, but I thought the rest of his works were pretty good.
    Last edited by Not A Cat; 2017-05-18 at 03:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never really seen her make it girly or do much shipping. But some have simply lacked a solid story or substance.

Like said shes done some good ones, but that shouldn't remove criticism of her bad ones.

I've never really seen her make it girly or do much shipping. But some have simply lacked a solid story or substance.

Like said shes done some good ones, but that shouldn't remove criticism of her bad ones.
    "But hey, at least the lore will get decidedly less fangirly and consisten----

----HAHAHAAH no I'm sorry, I couldn't say it with a straight face.'

"So, soap opears incoming directly into MMO now? Who's gpnna be first pair she'll ship?"

2 examples i found in seconds
    if people could give me examples and reasons why they dont like her other then "she ships everyone, makes it all girly fanfiction"

10+ Year Old Account
    "But hey, at least the lore will get decidedly less fangirly and consisten----

----HAHAHAAH no I'm sorry, I couldn't say it with a straight face.'

"So, soap opears incoming directly into MMO now? Who's gpnna be first pair she'll ship?"

2 examples i found in seconds
    if people could give me examples and reasons why they dont like her other then "she ships everyone, makes it all girly fanfiction"
    "But some have simply lacked a solid story or substance." I literally said it in the post you quoted. Some of her Stories just feel Bland, as in the events feel like they are unimportant, or too focused on one character which loses the impact on other characters in the story which makes their personal journey feel like it lacks substance as the characters around them feel like faceless plot advancement.

Some relationships she has placed between characters feel forced as a way to continue a story yet seem pointless after the fact yet they try to keep the relationships important, when they mostly felt like a deus ex machina required just to get them out of a situation.

As said, she has many good stories, but some of them feel like Blizzard gave her a premise with a tight range of characters and she just had to "make it work".

Though at the end of the day, shes a far better than Knaak ever was.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynnlagh View Post
    I respect Christie Golden for her work, but I don't like it. She has a terrible alliance bias and most of the books I read from her (Lord of the Clans, Rise of the Horde, Beyond the Dark Portal, Jaina Proudmoore) had no real arc of suspense. Yeah, it's just an opinion, but my guess is we see a lot of Alliance stuff with her in the back.
    I'm guessing Jaina is taking a big role in the next expansion, which could be a Kul Tiras tie in. But I don't like how she writes Jaina.

Oh well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    Or they could of hired the person who wrote the 50 Shades of Crap novels, if you want horrible writing that series is beyond terrible..
    Or Dan Brown, who writes novels set in places like The Louvre and Paris - and doesn't describe them, at all.

Dan Brown is my hack writer gauge, you can't get hackier than him. It still mystifies me so people people enjoyed his shit books.

"But some have simply lacked a solid story or substance." I literally said it in the post you quoted. Some of her Stories just feel Bland, as in the events feel like they are unimportant, or too focused on one character which loses the impact on other characters in the story which makes their personal journey feel like it lacks substance as the characters around them feel like faceless plot advancement.

Some relationships she has placed between characters feel forced as a way to continue a story yet seem pointless after the fact yet they try to keep the relationships important, when they mostly felt like a deus ex machina required just to get them out of a situation.

As said, she has many good stories, but some of them feel like Blizzard gave her a premise with a tight range of characters and she just had to "make it work".

Though at the end of the day, shes a far better than Knaak ever was.
    can you give examples of these?
    i havent run into these but i also havent read all the books in along time

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynnlagh View Post
    I respect Christie Golden for her work, but I don't like it. She has a terrible alliance bias and most of the books I read from her (Lord of the Clans, Rise of the Horde, Beyond the Dark Portal, Jaina Proudmoore) had no real arc of suspense. Yeah, it's just an opinion, but my guess is we see a lot of Alliance stuff with her in the back.
    Not sure why she is allowed to write those books or why anyone at Blizzard thinks she is cut out for the job when its obvious for anyone that has read any good book in his life that she is just a mediocre boarding on terrible writer. With her being in some official role where she may even decide the future of our beloved charakters in WoW or Starcraft I fear that this will be the downfall of what Chris Metzen has build over the past 25 years.

Deleted
    That Anduin video was like Bollywood

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJin View Post
    Yay Christie Golden, some even more idiotic writing is to be expected. yaay
    You want Richard Knaak, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by brahlam View Post
    Not sure why she is allowed to write those books or why anyone at Blizzard thinks she is cut out for the job when its obvious for anyone that has read any good book in his life that she is just a mediocre boarding on terrible writer. With her being in some official role where she may even decide the future of our beloved charakters in WoW or Starcraft I fear that this will be the downfall of what Chris Metzen has build over the past 25 years.
    Okay, look, for all it's worth I never understood why people gave her so much praise, to me she was always on the same level or below knaak when it comes to writing. But when I read "our beloved characters" and "what metzen had build" in the same sentence then I can't help but laugh. The awful writing with green jesus, garrosh and a myriad of other head scratching things were Metzen's doing. If you fear it will get significantly worse now, then I doubt that will bethe case, unless they start hiring games workshop writers.

- - - Updated - - -

bolded the reason
    Or she just isn't and deflecting by being offended has nothing to do with it.
    Her writing is flat, lacks world building and spanning a narrative arc is something that just barely works out in her books. She is not on the level of fan fic writers, but her works are far from literary masterpieces as well; barely decent if anything.

Edit: That might be different for her original work, but her WoW stuff is bland and boring.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2017-05-18 at 07:28 AM.