Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Away with the static classes in WoW

I think that blizzard should change the static class system to become a skyrim like system, where your choice decides what your character is going to be. While the choice is merely based on investing points in talent trees of different classes.

You know, as like in the newest video, where Anduin choses to go paladin instead of priest. So imagine you had a "crusader" and a "holy" tree, and you just would put more points into crusader while still being partly holy.

If that would be a possible hell of a balance? Yes, probably. But balance is not working in a MMORPG no matter what talent system we have so at the end you always have perfect imabalance with some specs dominating. The new solution just would allow you as many choices as possibe, by chosing talents out of 34 possible talent trees and skills you are able to find anywhere in the world. The class teachers would become viable again, as you had to do quest chains for them to acquire new skills. As like a character who wants to use a bow, and goes to the hunter trainer to get a bow skill quest.

What do you think?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    I think that blizzard should change the static class system to become a skyrim like system, where your choice decides what your character is going to be. While the choice is merely based on investing points in talent trees of different classes.

You know, as like in the newest video, where Anduin choses to go paladin instead of priest. So imagine you had a "crusader" and a "holy" tree, and you just would put more points into crusader while still being partly holy.

If that would be a possible hell of a balance? Yes, probably. But balance is not working in a MMORPG no matter what talent system we have so at the end you always have perfect imabalance with some specs dominating. The new solution just would allow you as many choices as possibe, by chosing talents out of 34 possible talent trees and skills you are able to find anywhere in the world. The class teachers would become viable again, as you had to do quest chains for them to acquire new skills. As like a character who wants to use a bow, and goes to the hunter trainer to get a bow skill quest.

What do you think?
    No just no thats not a transition thats can be made it would require the game to be rebuild around that structure of play I guess you can hope for that kind of system in whatever next game they do but it will never work for world of warcraft.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

What do you think?
    This is clearly the next step in all mmo and rpg games. The question is not if, but when this will happen. I think now that they achieved such a good class and spec distinction in Legion not anytime soon, but sometime in the future for sure.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    No just no thats not a transition thats can be made it would require the game to be rebuild around that structure of play I guess you can hope for that kind of system in whatever next game they do but it will never work for world of warcraft.
    Well, they overhauled the talent system in the past already (see talents 2.0), so talents 3.0 could be the overhaul i talk about. Sure, it would be a lot of work, but it would raise immersion and novelty by large, as you could test out tons of self made specs and play your character with the skills you like.

The result would be an individual choice system.

The player base would develop anal seizures and anxiety psychosis if they did that. People lose their minds when one stupid talent or the tilt of some green-quality pants gets changed.

Which is a great reason for doing it, and it's better for the game and the genre, so I'd say go for it!

Interesting but no, they are already lazy with how things are now, they could never pull this off.

Well, they overhauled the talent system in the past already (see talents 2.0), so talents 3.0 could be the overhaul i talk about. Sure, it would be a lot of work, but it would raise immersion and novelty by large, as you could test out tons of self made specs and play your character with the skills you like.

Also glyphs need to be unlockables just like the class skills in the demon hunter questline. Not every glyphs need to be a straight up questline, some could be bought, others pvp or pve rewards, still others drops, or hidden items, or objects on the ground. The reason for this is that glyphs are too strongly tied to individual class flavor to remain a simple profession item.

15+ Year Old Account

Almost all changes to the talent system up to this point were just condensing lots of talents in fewer which is way eaiser to do and doesn't break balance like this would I'm not saying its a bad idea its just not what the current game is or can be.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

So basically you want the classes of FF14 and the skill/talent system of ESO?

IN ESO for example, you want to level fighters guild you have do fighters guild quests and kill undead/vampires/werewolf to get a specific line of abilities and passive. If you want to use medium armor you level up medium skill and unlock passive/an active ability through leveling that skill line. PVP gives you assault/support skills like a heal, aoE shield, and AoE mount speed boost. You have to invest points into each skill and have a maximum of 5 skills on each weapon bar (2 bars) and you can always change your skills around. There are various builds of gear as well.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2017-05-20 at 07:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know, as like in the newest video, where Anduin choses to go paladin instead of priest.
    Why do people keep saying that? He is still a priest... Until we see him in plate armor, he is still a priest.

So imagine you had a "crusader" and a "holy" tree, and you just would put more points into crusader while still being partly holy.
    So... What Paladins could already do before the talent tree remake, when we could spec partially into Ret or Prot while being mainly Holy, or partially into Holy as Ret or Prot, or partially into Prot as Ret, etc.

What do you think?
    I don't just think that would be a fucking trainwreck, I KNOW it would be, there is a private server that does this, and it IS a fucking trainwreck.

We need class structure to give reasonable limitations, but I think we need to go back to the old Vanilla/BC/WotLK talent system... It allowed for more actual customization than we have now. Make no mistake, the talent system was changed to what it is now to dumb down the game for the masses, nothing more.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2017-05-20 at 07:47 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    So basically you want the classes of FF14 and the skill/talent system of ESO?
    No, i dont want static classes anymore. Infact, you could generate a new class based on the talent trees you use and the skills you chose. Think about a character using a bow having a lot of talent points in marksmanship and shadow, doing dots and direct damage. Or about a character that uses druid restoration skills mixed up with a melee weapon and talents from enhancement. You would ask people to invest more points in trees as the best talents appear at top tier. You would ask people to buy skills from the same teacher as they are symbiotic. But still you had the chance to chose different builds by investing points in non symbiotic skills or talents.

In ESO, you still have static classes. Be a templar, be a sorcerer.. This change would get you out of a static class allocation.

And about balance.. well, at the end you have cookie cutting no matter what system you implement. And really.. reducing the amount of customization just because of balance is a bad deal.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2017-05-20 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Why do people keep saying that? He is still a priest... Until we see him in plate armor, he is still a priest.
    Well he picked up a sword. It is well known that priest do not have the finger and hand dexterity to do anything like that. So of course it means he rerolled himself as a new class.

- - - Updated - - -

No, i dont want static classes anymore. Infact, you could generate a new class based on the talent trees you use and the skills you chose. Think about a character using a bow having a lot of talent points in marksmanship and shadow, doing dots and direct damage. Or about a character that uses druid restoration skills mixed up with a melee weapon and talents from enhancement. You would ask people to invest more points in trees as the best talents appear at top tier. You would ask people to buy skills from the same teacher as they are symbiotic. But still you had the chance to chose different builds by investing points in non symbiotic skills or talents.

In ESO, you still have static classes. Be a templar, be a sorcerer.. This change would get you out of a static class allocation.
    With all these huge changes you want for the game it is almost like you just want a new game.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

And about balance.. well, at the end you have cookie cutting no matter what system you implement. And really.. reducing the amount of customization just because of balance is a bad deal.
    It would be the same, everyone would copy paste the samw build to raid!
    So i just preffer to have more talent and use the artifact skill points as base line where we would choose to spend some points in some skills once we would hit max lvl.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    With all these huge changes you want for the game it is almost like you just want a new game.
    No, just a new talent and skill system. Dont tell me you dislike novelty.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HeiAggra View Post
    It would be the same, everyone would copy paste the samw build to raid!
    As they do today. No talent system change is going to end that.

How many people go to icy veins or other pages to just copy paste their talent builds nowadays, even considering the fact the choices are only a few?

10+ Year Old Account

Go play Archeage, it has basically the talent system you are asking for.

Pick 3 talent trees to make your "class", allocate points into those trees as you see fit... With their system only having 10 talent trees, there are still 120 "classes" in the game and balance is a mess.

http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/

A skill/talent calculator/class builder for your convenience.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2017-05-20 at 07:55 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

No, just a new talent and skill system. Dont tell me you dislike novelty.
    Good choice of word. Novelty wears off, I want quality and not massively changing things just to do it. You want a new talent and skill system and a solo player game. While they have changed classes over the years they didn't do anything remotely like letting you switch up a character and become something else, if for no other reason then the character boosts I don't see that ever happening.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Go play Archeage, it has basically the talent system you are asking for.
    Thank you, i prefer to stick to World of Warcraft and Azeroth.

Pick 3 talent trees to make your "class", allocate points into those trees as you see fit... With their system only having 10 talent trees, there are still 120 "classes" in the game and balance is a mess.
    Yeah, and balance in world of warcraft also is a mess. Or do you pretend that every class and spec is as viable in every gameplay?

No concept will ever be able to balance classes in a MMORPG. Even considering the fact that perfect balance is a dull system.

What you're proposing used to actually exist in the WOW talent trees prior to Mists of Pandaria. Blizzard moved away from customizing a character's abilities and strength for simplicity sake as well as balance. Well.. they diluted the Talents trees in Cata then again in MOP and still NO BALANCE. On the pvp side in Legion, they stripped customization away by doing away with trinkets, gems and enchants and the stacking of secondary stats for the sake of... Balance and still no fucking balance.

They can't balance the game, that's the bottom line so why not have pandemonium and insanity and more customization. I'm all for it.

What do you think?
    yes because a priest that heals with holy light well commanding the undead and demons well also using the elements to buff themselves well wearing plate armor totally makes sense :3

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, i prefer to stick to World of Warcraft and Azeroth.

Yeah, and balance in world of warcraft also is a mess. Or do you pretend that every class and spec is as viable in every gameplay?

No concept will ever be able to balance classes in a MMORPG. Even considering the fact that perfect balance is a dull system.
    yes, yes it is, all specs are viable, they maybe arnt the BEST
    but they are viable, go back to vanilla when specs like fire would do literally no damage in molten core, they were not viable

Deleted
    Good choice of word. Novelty wears off, I want quality and not massively changing things just to do it.
    Actually, the game lives from massive changes. If the game stays the same, people would leave it.

You want a new talent and skill system and a solo player game. While they have changed classes over the years they didn't do anything remotely like letting you switch up a character and become something else, if for no other reason then the character boosts I don't see that ever happening.
    I have no idea if something like that is ever happening. I just talk about the idea to make it happen.