Is it safe to buy a 2nd hand computer

I need to update my PC very soon, as I got the message last night that Blizzard will not be supporting Windows Vista systems anymore.

Which is a pity, because my Hewlett Packard Pavillion Vista laptop has been really good for 8 years. A workhorse..no problems.

So I was looking at ebay last night, and noticed some really good 2nd hand Windows7 PCs
    with gaming cards at very affordable prices. BTW I am on a budget.

My only fears about purchasing a 2nd hand PC from ebay, is that it might have something dodgy on the hard drive or it could be stolen.

Would you guys purchase a 2nd hand PC ?

If I bought one I would instantly wipe and rebuild it.

Dont understand this logic..

You have a trash can which supposedly works for you.

And you wanna upgrade with the risk of buying whatever also.

The concept of "you dont have to pay 2000$ for a new PC" doesnt exist for you people?

What is your "Budget"?

10+ Year Old Account
    When Blizzard says that they won't support Vista anymore - that means that they won't test against Vista anymore, and if any issues arise with Vista due to changes made to the game they won't endeavour to fix them. It does not mean that it will suddenly stop working. So, you don't necessarily have to rush right out the door to update.

If your computer is still running well as you say, why not just update the operating system? No reason afaik why the laptop shouldn't be able to upgrade to even Windows 10.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Dont understand this logic..

You have a trash can which supposedly works for you.

And you wanna upgrade with the risk of buying whatever also.

The concept of "you dont have to pay 2000$ for a new PC" doesnt exist for you people?

What is your "Budget"?
    Well I splashed out on a Brand New $2500 Dell Alienware MH17 Gaming Laptop 4 years ago.

The motherboard gave up after 1.5 years of use.. The damm thing overheated

I still have the Alienware Laptop and was wondering wheter to splash out $600 to get the motherboard fixed.

Or buy a New PC in the $1000 to $1500 range..

I do not want to be stung again like I was with the $2500 Alienware laptop

10+ Year Old Account
    Was going to say just upgrade the operating system but Radio beat me to it.

you bought a 2500$ dell..that was your mistake.
    You could build something 2x as good for about 1/4th of the money yourself.
    Just buy the parts and smack it together.
    If you want a laptop thats a different story

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    When Blizzard says that they won't support Vista anymore - that means that they won't test against Vista anymore, and if any issues arise with Vista due to changes made to the game they won't endeavour to fix them. It does not mean that it will suddenly stop working. So, you don't necessarily have to rush right out the door to update.

If your computer is still running well as you say, why not just update the operating system? No reason afaik why the laptop shouldn't be able to upgrade to even Windows 10.
    So you are saying it is possible to update a 2008 Windows Vista PC to a Windows 7 or 10

And get DirectX 12 or greater on my current Hewlett Packard Pavillion.

I wanna believe you but don't.

You spent 2500$ on a laptop and got 1500$ worth of hardware and a 1000$ nametag. Exaggerated, yes, but its still a stupidly expensive brand.

I would buy new stuff if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    So you are saying it is possible to update a 2008 Windows Vista PC to a Windows 7 or 10

You have enough money to buy a laptop and you are on a budget.

Budget is having 450$, not 1500$.

Do you even know what budget means?

Any PC before 2010 is automatically not worth doing anything to it unless you are trying to salvage a facebook PC for your grandparents.

A 700$ US Dollar PC is better than a 2500$ laptop.

Secondly any PC that can run Windows Vista, can run Windows 10.

Thirdly just post your budget, buy a god damn desktop PC and dont throw your money in crap, aka Alienware.

You can always check some retailers for refurbished laptops, at least they have a guarantee in case the break down fast

like https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...97&isdeptsrh=1

Deleted
    Just wipe the hard drive.
    I'd be more worried about hidden problems like overheating especially in the case of laptops, or breaking down in a week.

Buy Windows 10. You get it from Kinguin for about $25. Follow the instructions to create a bootable USB key. Shutdown laptop. Restart and select boot option. Or go into bios and set USB as boot drive. Begin Windows installation.

You will lose everything on your drive currently.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    You have enough money to buy a laptop and you are on a budget.

Budget is having 450$, not 1500$.

Do you even know what budget means?

Any PC before 2010 is automatically not worth doing anything to it unless you are trying to salvage a facebook PC for your grandparents.

A 700$ US Dollar PC is better than a 2500$ laptop.

Secondly any PC that can run Windows Vista, can run Windows 10.

Thirdly just post your budget, buy a god damn desktop PC and dont throw your money in crap, aka Alienware.
    Thank you for your advice.. I am happier now

WOW it seems any smart gamer in the USA avoids Alienware like the plague.

Pity I didn't read the bad reviews before splashing out on one 4 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    Buy Windows 10. You get it from Kinguin for about $25. Follow the instructions to create a bootable USB key. Shutdown laptop. Restart and select boot option. Or go into bios and set USB as boot drive. Begin Windows installation.

You will lose everything on your drive currently.
    Not only does he not have to pay for W10 (he can activate it "later"), he doesn't have to lose his drive. All he needs to do is partition it and install W10 on a separate boot.

My desktop has separate boots for a Linux, W10, and W7 installs.

"it might have something dodgy on the hard drive or it could be stolen."
    Id say theres a 20% chance for this to happen, and only if buying from Craiglist or dodgy facebook users or whatever. And even so you can just replace the hdd (cheap component) just so you can feel safe, and still save a lot.
    I would definetly buy second hand pcs because i did before and saved half the money instead of buying new components. Just talk with the guy, meet-up or something. I guess i was lucky enough when i bought one cause that guy used to play world of warcraft and just didn't have time for it anymore. Now im gonna do the same as i won't have time for WoW ill just list my rig for a decent price like ~600-700 for what you would pay 1k.
    When you see someone selling custom made gaming rigs, they usually put love into it when they made it and theres no reason to scam or sell you something broken. They all just don't have the time for gaming anymore and could use some money instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree about Primal about the part how people take pride in gaming rigs. Just listen to how people talk about what they are selling and it can be a good indicator. I have sold 2 PCs this way and am currently in the process of selling a third and never had any complaints.

7+ Year Old Account
    Used hard drives .... I shiver at the thought.

Well I splashed out on a Brand New $2500 Dell Alienware MH17 Gaming Laptop 4 years ago.

The motherboard gave up after 1.5 years of use.. The damm thing overheated

I still have the Alienware Laptop and was wondering wheter to splash out $600 to get the motherboard fixed.

Or buy a New PC in the $1000 to $1500 range..

I do not want to be stung again like I was with the $2500 Alienware laptop
    Some of you people will learn at some point to stop buying trash ass laptops to try an game on. That crap is packed inside the case tighter than Mexicans in a little car. You end up paying twice as much as a good desktop that can be upgraded over the years. And to top it off it was an Alienware, They dont even offer lube before bending you over.