1. #1981
    Quote Originally Posted by dlld View Post
    So what was the point of the 'nuke' in the last episode. Didn't feel very federationy.
    Discovery ejected its warp core. Which then exploded. Blowing up the other guy isn't very Federationy but you wont have to long far to find your favorite Captains blowing shit up.

  2. #1982
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Discovery ejected its warp core. Which then exploded. Blowing up the other guy isn't very Federationy but you wont have to long far to find your favorite Captains blowing shit up.
    Yes but.. why? They could have just spore jumped without blowing it up and sacrificing their core? Unless I missed why the presence of a unprotected warp core that hadn't exploded yet was necessary for the spore drive to function.

  3. #1983
    Quote Originally Posted by dlld View Post
    Yes but.. why? They could have just spore jumped without blowing it up and sacrificing their core? Unless I missed why the presence of a unprotected warp core that hadn't exploded yet was necessary for the spore drive to function.
    The Star Wars people on the writing staff wanted a big explosion. Burnham could’ve also stunned Osyraa instead of killing her. Have I mentioned that this show still isn’t as good as TNG? Even then blowing up the very dangerous pirate ship probably wasn’t a horrible idea.

  4. #1984
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    No, they didn't. TOS was all Kirk, Spock and McCoy. TNG was almost all Picard and Data. DS9 probably had the most well-rounded out cast of characters of any Trek incarnation. Yeah, you saw Scotty and Sulu and Uhura, but no episode revolved around them. TNG solved that a bit with occasional episodes focusing on someone other than Picard or Data but most episodes revolved around those two.



    Actually to Discovery I would add Owo (was so glad she was ok), Detmer, Adira Tal, Gray, Vance, Airiam, Jett Reno, Ash Tyler, Cornwell, Nhan, and Landry all as characters that have had more screen time and development than the average Trek character. Compare pretty much any of those I just mentioned with Uhura in TOS, they have gotten much more development. For an added bonus, STO players get even more development of characters like Landry, Stamets and Lorca

    Discovery isn't perfect, but it's good and a new version of Trek and it's finding its audience. Hell, it's what has gotten my wife into Star Trek now and she's watched the Kelvin movies and selected episodes of TNG with me and is loving it all so far. People hated TNG when it first came out because it "wasn't Trek", not the way they remembered it.

    Oh, and my only quibble with the finale was Burnham fighting Osyrra and jumping all over the place like her leg was just fine ... and then afterwards going back to limping Oopsie!
    HAha, yes, well as soon as I notice those things, I just roll my eyes and forget about them - thinking to myself, these guys aren't perfect, but then none of these tv or movie creators ever were, and if you can forget the occasional mishap, it ends up being quite an enjoyable watch and a fairly good production considering.

    I love TNG and enjoying all the other treks watching them through fully for the first time, alongside discovery, and I'm enjoying them for what they are. STD is a different show to the others, and I enjoy it for what it is, for what it is they've done a good job.

    Only have STE and STO left to watch, nearly finished DS9 and STV - so shall probably go onto STE then actually watch STO - i realised that when I was younger, I never actually watched all of them, but I did watch a lot of TNG to Voyager. TNG, DS9, STV are basically all in the same block. STE, STD, STO and Picard are all different shows from the 3 I grew up with - so far I've really enjoyed STD, Picard felt a bit preachy, but I liked it enough. Will give my verdict on STE and STO after i've properly watched them.

  5. #1985
    This last episode was probably the most technologically frustrating a Star Trek episode has ever been since, like, TOS. Or maybe that's the wrong word for it, because it wasn't just really bad from a science point of view, it was bad just from a "suspension of disbelief" point of view. This wasn't really a sci-fi show so much as it was a fairy tale fantasy show in space, between the magical trill holo, the empath flying the ship, the kid who blows up space time with his mind because of pregnancy DNA magic, and on and on.

    Sure, like most of Discovery has been, it's "different but still fun." But at this point Discovery may as well not even be in the Trek universe anymore.

  6. #1986
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    But at this point Discovery may as well not even be in the Trek universe anymore.
    That's honestly how the show has felt for me from the very start. From Klingon Orcs to mushroom/tardigrade hyperdrive it was a complete break both aesthetically and conceptually. Do not like.

  7. #1987
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    This last episode was probably the most technologically frustrating a Star Trek episode has ever been since, like, TOS. Or maybe that's the wrong word for it, because it wasn't just really bad from a science point of view, it was bad just from a "suspension of disbelief" point of view. This wasn't really a sci-fi show so much as it was a fairy tale fantasy show in space, between the magical trill holo, the empath flying the ship, the kid who blows up space time with his mind because of pregnancy DNA magic, and on and on.

    Sure, like most of Discovery has been, it's "different but still fun." But at this point Discovery may as well not even be in the Trek universe anymore.
    I don't get you and people like you.. it's ALL fantasy, why do you think science fiction is often in the fantasy section? I mean, star trek has always been super unrealistic, and the science reaching at best, always, what does it matter if it is more scientific in one show or less in another, it's very far off. If you want something more realistic, you should be watching the Expanse, which lest you forget, is also FICTIONAL.

    This has pretty much always been star trek, and to most ofi t's audience, Discovery is just as fictional as TNG or Voyager

  8. #1988
    Quote Originally Posted by Amarys View Post
    Why is Burnham so hated though? Shes not a Mary Sue, shes flawed and doesn't always save the day, she also nearly always pays for her mistakes. I thought Burnham (Kirk like personality), Saru (Spock basically.. but less logical and more about doing the right thing and following rules) and Giorgiou worked really well for the show.
    - All flaws or mistakes the character does turns out to be a good thing. Disobeying an order or putting people in a dangerous situation ends up as necessary for the happy end.
    She has trauma backstory, she is the freaking sister of Spock. Her character has all the RPG stat points to the max: super intellect, super leader, super fighter, super diplomat. She is human, but of course she has the Vulcan superpowers.
    I could go on and go on. The only missing characteristic are that Burnham is not an author avatar, AFAIK.

  9. #1989
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    between the magical trill holo,
    the empath flying the ship,
    the kid who blows up space time with his mind because of pregnancy DNA magic, and on and on.
    Its established canon that a memories from a Trill symbiont can be brought forth and communicated with.
    As opposed to how many exotic flight mechanisms are used on any number of weird ships? How the fuck do whales communicate with some giant space cylinder?
    Su'Kal is less fantastic than Charlie Evans, the Q Continuum, Wormhole Aliens, Kevin Uxbridge or any other number of weird near-omnipotent aliens. How many kids have you had on planets made out of 11-dimension crystals?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Koward View Post
    Her character has all the RPG stat points to the max: super intellect, super leader, super fighter, super diplomat. She is human, but of course she has the Vulcan superpowers.
    Picard has her beat on 3 out of 4 of those categories. Spock has her beat on all four.

    What Vulcan superpowers does she have?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    mushroom/tardigrade hyperdrive
    More or less silly than a cloaking device that allows you to pass through solid rock?

  10. #1990
    Discovery Season 4 - Guesses


    Okay.. what do you think the plot for Season 4 will be? Each season of Discovery has really been unpredictable, I'll give them that. If you didn't read all the rumour speculations and staff/cast movements, you'd never know what they were going to do. This is the first one I think is a bit more predictable

    My guesses would be

    1. Getting the Federation back together almost like a retelling of the original federation

    2. This time, I reckon Earth will be the biggest challenge and also present the greatest threat tot he federation

    however I reckon the rise of Terran elements in earth would be the main challenge to the Federation.

    My bet - Terran Empire vs Federation for season 4. Earth would be centre stage.

    New roles would probably involve that kid from the end of Season 3. But discovery without Captain/Empress Georgia - well, seems boring, I thought she was going to feature more prominently or even have her own show.

  11. #1991
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Its established canon that a memories from a Trill symbiont can be brought forth and communicated with.
    As opposed to how many exotic flight mechanisms are used on any number of weird ships? How the fuck do whales communicate with some giant space cylinder?
    Su'Kal is less fantastic than Charlie Evans, the Q Continuum, Wormhole Aliens, Kevin Uxbridge or any other number of weird near-omnipotent aliens. How many kids have you had on planets made out of 11-dimension crystals?
    All of those things have far better established plot points than what Discovery establishes. One of these things is not like the other, and it's Discovery. Discovery's primary issue is that it tries too hard to explain its plot points, and in so doing usually botches established Trek lore or, more often, established science. Or just plain common sense.

  12. #1992
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    All of those things have far better established plot points than what Discovery establishes. One of these things is not like the other, and it's Discovery. Discovery's primary issue is that it tries too hard to explain its plot points, and in so doing usually botches established Trek lore or, more often, established science. Or just plain common sense.
    You could've just said: "Because reasons". Its far more economical.

  13. #1993
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    More or less silly than a cloaking device that allows you to pass through solid rock?
    More. By magnitudes. And that cloak was one little plot device in one little episode - the mushroom thing is the core of an entire season.

  14. #1994
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    More. By magnitudes. And that cloak was one little plot device in one little episode - the mushroom thing is the core of an entire season.
    The mushroom thing is one detail in a show. Why is it magnitudes more silly in a show that shows a variety of exotic alien races living across multiple dimensions?

  15. #1995
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    This last episode was probably the most technologically frustrating a Star Trek episode has ever been since, like, TOS. Or maybe that's the wrong word for it, because it wasn't just really bad from a science point of view, it was bad just from a "suspension of disbelief" point of view. This wasn't really a sci-fi show so much as it was a fairy tale fantasy show in space, between the magical trill holo, the empath flying the ship, the kid who blows up space time with his mind because of pregnancy DNA magic, and on and on.

    Sure, like most of Discovery has been, it's "different but still fun." But at this point Discovery may as well not even be in the Trek universe anymore.
    You could have at least mentioned the cavernous turbolift system inside of a ship that's only a few decks thick. You know...the one thing that doesn't have some precedent in previous entries in the franchise. Well, I guess that's not true. The JJ-prise had that massive brewery for an engineering section, and a shuttlebay that would have been more suitable for a starbase.

    They technobabbled their way through the Kelpien's connection with dilithium (and thus the dilithium's connection with subspace) about as well as a reborn Spock's connection with the Genesis planet.

    As for the empath being able to navigate the ship. Like...that was the whole point of Stamets' work the tardigrade (and integrating its DNA into his body).

  16. #1996
    Season 4 will probably more political

    1. Extracting the Dillitium from that planet
    2. Using it to reunite the planets
    3. Taking care of some local war in these away planets
    and
    4. Drama around Stamets with Burnham

    and yes, no point in Stamets now. Adira and Jett? both do the same and better than him, sorry Stamets but Burnham boyfriend has to be important/big like her

  17. #1997
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike` View Post
    and yes, no point in Stamets now. Adira and Jett? both do the same and better than him, sorry Stamets but Burnham boyfriend has to be important/big like her
    Stamets is still a brilliant scientist. Adira and Jett are engineers. Their fields of discipline don't completely overlap.

  18. #1998
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike` View Post
    and yes, no point in Stamets now. Adira and Jett? both do the same and better than him, sorry Stamets but Burnham boyfriend has to be important/big like her
    Just because Book can jump the ship, it doesn't mean he's going to (or even could) take over for Stamets.

  19. #1999
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike` View Post
    Season 4 will probably more political

    1. Extracting the Dillitium from that planet
    2. Using it to reunite the planets
    3. Taking care of some local war in these away planets
    and
    4. Drama around Stamets with Burnham

    and yes, no point in Stamets now. Adira and Jett? both do the same and better than him, sorry Stamets but Burnham boyfriend has to be important/big like her
    They'd never do Stamets v Burnham - he's a gay male, it will be Burnham v alpha white male

    But interesting point about Adira and Jett - they could get rid of Stamets - now Booker can operate the spore drive, and Adira and Jett satisfy the LGBTQ quota -- however I don't suspect that will happen. it's no longer the era of token black or token gay.

    I suspect Stamets will now be on discovery, and they'll get Bookers ship with a spore drive which he can use, so they'll keep both, they'll also try to expand the spore drive.. Although I' not sure, it's still Discovery's most unique feature.. although the sphere intelligence/data could be given a bigger role.

    I'd like to see them expand the sphere stuff.

  20. #2000
    I'm 99% fine with the ending of S3. My only issue is probably that they made her captain. Even then, its pretty much a "whatever" thing. I continue to enjoy Discovery.

    Apparently, S4 is going to be a bit more episodic, like the Star Trek of old, based on a random article I read the other day. Can't say I'm overly concerned with what format they take, I just want to watch something I'll enjoy. If I wanted old Star Trek, I'd watch old Star Trek /shrug

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •