1. #2041
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Extra galactic astrophysics is funky. Trek almost never touches upon extragalactic stuff.

    You forgot to put in Season 3. All I see are rants from 2019. Not that I have the time to go through all of them.

    It’s not magic. It’s a device that allows them to utilize a discrete section of subspace for travel.

    They’re called the Emerald Chain. There are other drives but none of them are of widespread use.
    There are no other drives in widespread use? Not every species uses a warpdrive or dilithium. The Romulans use singularity cores and atleast one other race did as well. You really think a sneaky race who had a quadruple secret sect wouldn't have attempted to take over the galaxy?

    You do realize that Daniels is from the same century and was working just a few years before or after the burn don't you? Time travel is common place in this era and yet their technology is so shit they need the Discovery to save them???
    Last edited by qwerty123456; 2021-01-12 at 11:01 PM.

  2. #2042
    Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    Remind me, were the Orion syndicate the predecessors of the Emerald Chain
    The Orion’s are part of it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    There are no other drives in widespread use? Not every species uses a warpdrive or dilithium. The Romulans use singularity cores. You really think a sneaky race who had a quadruple secret sect wouldn't have attempted to take over the galaxy?

    You do realize that Daniels is from the same century and was working just a few years before or after the burn don't you? Time travel is common place in this era and yet their technology is so shit they need the Discovery to save them???
    They’re not in widespread use. Maybe you should watch the show instead of whining about it. The singularity drive is a good example of an alternative drive that has downsides such that it’s use maybe discontinued. The Romulans are much nicer in the 31st century.

    The Temporal War finished before the burn. Time travel is not used because all of its technology is outlawed. Technology is vastly improved with the exception of travel.

  3. #2043
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    The Orion’s are part of it.

    - - - Updated - - -



    They’re not in widespread use. Maybe you should watch the show instead of whining about it. The singularity drive is a good example of an alternative drive that has downsides such that it’s use maybe discontinued. The Romulans are much nicer in the 31st century.

    The Temporal War finished before the burn. Time travel is not used because all of its technology is outlawed. Technology is vastly improved with the exception of travel.
    Many species have different technologies. Maybe you should actually learn lore before claiming you know shit.

    And whats the downsides of a singularity drive that would make them worse than being Amish?

    Time travel technology was only said to be destroyed and banned in Discovery and do you know why I'm pointing that out? Because it doesn't make sense. How on earth are you going to ensure its never created again and that no one else will use it if you don't have it yourself to see and keep watch? Also just a fews years before kids had time travel tech in schools. Did not one person call into the future and find out about the burn? You aren't changing the past if you contact the future. You think they wouldn't have had millions or people trying to save thier loved ones after find out millions of people are going to die in 10 years? Or why wouldn't they check on the future and the time travel ban. This is why new trek is garbage. They think that the federation can police AI, Time travel and shit when there are billions of beings that aren't even connected to the Federation and yet the romulans can have a super super super secret sect of a handful of people that can change the entire universe. I'd love to see the US try to ban North Korea from making boats and planes without boats and planes of their own.
    Last edited by qwerty123456; 2021-01-13 at 12:04 AM.

  4. #2044
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    The Romulans are much nicer in the 31st century.
    The ones that we know of *seem* nicer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Time travel is not used because all of its technology is outlawed.
    Given that the federation is fractured and both the romulan & klingon empires are seemingly out of the picture (again, from what we know thus far), what institution would enforce these laws to begin with? Section 31?

  5. #2045
    Quote Originally Posted by Ara Myrr View Post
    Given that the federation is fractured and both the romulan & klingon empires are seemingly out of the picture (again, from what we know thus far), what institution would enforce these laws to begin with? Section 31?
    Exactly. And how would they even know that time travel is taking place when Discovery says they destroyed their tech.

  6. #2046
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Haven't watched the last 2 episodes, but decided to read a review/synopsis hoping that it will motivate me to do so.

    Found out they made Burnham captain.

    I'm 100% not watching that shit.
    It wasn't like that. You didn't watch, so you don't get to speak.

    Saru had personal business to take care of, which left the ship without a captain.


    People love to hate on this series. But it's been nothing but good and even better with each season. Cannot wait for the next ones.

    If you don't like it, don't watch it and refrain from telling us your uninformed opinions.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2021-01-13 at 12:15 AM.

  7. #2047
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    But it's been nothing but good and even better with each season.
    Thats your "oppinion". many others feel another way like that this crap gets worse every episode....

  8. #2048
    Quote Originally Posted by tmamass View Post
    Thats your "oppinion". many others feel another way like that this crap gets worse every episode....
    Those people should be doing something better with their time than watching and ranting about something they hate ... unless ranting about it is their only goal, in which case why listen to them anyway?

    I'd be happy if all the sour people just pissed off to their own subreddit, call it /r/thingsihate, and keep their bullshit there and let people that actually enjoy something talk about the thing they enjoy without having to constantly deal with sour bullshit. But that's forums for you I guess, people love to shit on things and talk about how much they hate it at length and why you shouldn't enjoy it either.
    Shut your goddamn mouth, Gene!

  9. #2049
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    It wasn't like that. You didn't watch, so you don't get to speak.

    Saru had personal business to take care of, which left the ship without a captain.
    If a captain is unavailable to command a ship then the first officer takes over, and so and so down the command chain. At least that's how it works in Starfleet. Sure an admiral can be assign someone else to command from the lower ranks of the chain of command, but that would explicitly imply that the admiral has no confidence in the first officer. Aka Tilly. What would make sense is to bring in a new captain from outside the ship's existing crew, to not fuck with the existing chain of command.

    Furthermore, it doesn't fucking matter what the fuck Burnham might or might have not done in the episode her fucking disciplinary record is so incredibly and stunningly atrocious that not a single flag officer in existence would ever even remotely consider giving Burnham command of anything, not even a kitchen detail let alone a starship.

    Burnham literally cannot be trusted around sharp objects as she might just have an emotional moment and either go AWOL (if you're lucky), blow the ship (if you are somewhat unlucky) or start a galaxy wide war (if you are really unlucky).

    Burnham shouldn't just have never been reinstated as an actual officer but have proven herself countless times to be utterly unfit to serve in Starfleet and incomprehensibly unfit to actually be in command.

    I've watched every single fucking Star Trek thing that has even come out, but Discovery is by far the worst of anything ever produced, straight up worse than the Animated Series. I haven't watched the last 4 episodes because IT'S FUCKING UNWATCHABLE if you are an actual Star Trek fan.

    It's just really badly written. There isn't a single semi competent writer on the entire writing team. They by sheer miracle had a couple of decent episodes in Season 2, and even early in Season 3, but then they just went full Season 1 again.

    And even if I don't like it, I get to opine on it. So go stick your "informed" opinions where the sun don't shine.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    Those people should be doing something better with their time than watching and ranting about something they hate ... unless ranting about it is their only goal, in which case why listen to them anyway?
    Can you understand that a lot of people really like the franchise? For a lot of people Star Trek was a nerdy cultural phenomenon they grew up in, and it shaped their their whole outlook on the world in many ways. And they will be passionately upset when someone takes their beloved thing and turns it into an dumpster fire of nonsense. The problem with Discovery is not the cast, or even the core ideas of what they want to address, but that the writers are mentally unequipped to write Star Trek. They are literally too fucking stupid for it. They set up a lot of decent ideas, but have no idea how to develop it, and in the process end up writing unlikeable, horrible characters doing dumb shit, for what ultimately turns out to be stupid reasons.

    Like Burnham's redemption arc from was a fucking loopy loop of a roller coaster where she constantly shows absolutely no personal development or growth but somehow she keeps failing upwards, keep getting rewarded for shit that she should actually be facing serious consequences for, instead everyone gets amnesia within 20 minutes, just so she can go back and do the exact same shit again. She also just puts on a 5 second teary eyed face, then just moves on, never internally emotionally dealing with the suffering she causes and devastation she leaves in other people's lives.

    Half the fucking crew is a fucking walking PTSD basket case because of her shit. That's never dealt with in any meaningful way, they just all bow down in adoration of her awesomeness.

    And it's not like we're super elitist nonsense about it, I fucking LOVED The Lower Decks and it's goofy, foul mouthed cartoon, but it's still better written than Discovery, it makes sense internally, and actually respects the ideals of Star Trek.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2021-01-13 at 10:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    It doesnt destroy the land to bury styrofoam 25 feet below the ground
    Today Obama once again kneeled at the altar of environmental naziism and hurt this once great country. He has now banned all drilling in the Atlantic Ocean

  10. #2050
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    It wasn't like that. You didn't watch, so you don't get to speak.

    Saru had personal business to take care of, which left the ship without a captain.


    People love to hate on this series. But it's been nothing but good and even better with each season. Cannot wait for the next ones.

    If you don't like it, don't watch it and refrain from telling us your uninformed opinions.
    Honestly the first 5 episodes so far have been very boring to me. Its a really woke series though, i guess thats enough for some people

    Edit:
    Of the new seasons i mean

  11. #2051
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Pressing X to doubt here.
    Funny thing is for someone that havent even seen it you sure are certain of the quality. And im pretty sure even if you was to watch it and thought it was ok or even good you would go onto these forums and complain how bad it was just for the sake of complaining.

  12. #2052
    Quote Originally Posted by tmamass View Post
    Thats your "oppinion". many others feel another way like that this crap gets worse every episode....
    Many others don't. Everyone i know is loving it and several are trekkies. I only see strangers online hating on it, but somehow still keep looking up what is happening. It's suspicious.

    It was on the top 10 on netflix the whole season, so at least i know many people were watching.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    Honestly the first 5 episodes so far have been very boring to me. Its a really woke series though, i guess thats enough for some people

    Edit:
    Of the new seasons i mean
    I mean, some of us don't care about that and watch it for the story. Like being inclusive is a bad thing...

    No existing characters got forcibly sex or race changed, so i got no problems. But, yes, i suspect the inclusiveness is the reason why the show garners ire from some people. Nothing wrong with the show, more like something is wrong with those people.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    If a captain is unavailable to command a ship then the first officer takes over, and so and so down the command chain. At least that's how it works in Starfleet. Sure an admiral can be assign someone else to command from the lower ranks of the chain of command, but that would explicitly imply that the admiral has no confidence in the first officer. Aka Tilly. What would make sense is to bring in a new captain from outside the ship's existing crew, to not fuck with the existing chain of command.

    Furthermore, it doesn't fucking matter what the fuck Burnham might or might have not done in the episode her fucking disciplinary record is so incredibly and stunningly atrocious that not a single flag officer in existence would ever even remotely consider giving Burnham command of anything, not even a kitchen detail let alone a starship.

    Burnham literally cannot be trusted around sharp objects as she might just have an emotional moment and either go AWOL (if you're lucky), blow the ship (if you are somewhat unlucky) or start a galaxy wide war (if you are really unlucky).

    Burnham shouldn't just have never been reinstated as an actual officer but have proven herself countless times to be utterly unfit to serve in Starfleet and incomprehensibly unfit to actually be in command.

    I've watched every single fucking Star Trek thing that has even come out, but Discovery is by far the worst of anything ever produced, straight up worse than the Animated Series. I haven't watched the last 4 episodes because IT'S FUCKING UNWATCHABLE if you are an actual Star Trek fan.

    It's just really badly written. There isn't a single semi competent writer on the entire writing team. They by sheer miracle had a couple of decent episodes in Season 2, and even early in Season 3, but then they just went full Season 1 again.

    And even if I don't like it, I get to opine on it. So go stick your "informed" opinions where the
    I was gonna praise your reply, but then i finished reading the post.
    This is not the same federation. It's a lawless universe out there and Burham's methods are adequate for the universe they are now in cause they deliver results. The admiral says that.
    And you say all this enraged like Kirk was that different.

    This seems to be a you problem as that is not the feedback i get from other trekkies and one of them lives with me, so yeah... i value his opinion more than yours.

    I love the show. Very sad you don't. Hope you manage to move onto something else.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2021-01-13 at 01:16 PM.

  13. #2053
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    There are no other drives in widespread use? Not every species uses a warpdrive or dilithium. The Romulans use singularity cores and atleast one other race did as well. You really think a sneaky race who had a quadruple secret sect wouldn't have attempted to take over the galaxy?

    You do realize that Daniels is from the same century and was working just a few years before or after the burn don't you? Time travel is common place in this era and yet their technology is so shit they need the Discovery to save them???
    From what I understand dilithium isn't fuel. It's a component that makes high warp possible. So the Romulans used a black hole to generate power but likely still used dilithium to increase speed. Just like the Federation used matter/antimatter to generate power and used dilithium to increase speed. But end of the day it's just technobabble. If that's where you get hung up it probably means you can punch holes in just about Ang sci-fi show in exsistance in the same way.

    Warp drive is really just the ftl of ST to get around relativity and time dilation. So other species may "go fast" in other ways ultimately it's messured in warp speeds. Even things like subspace corridors exist for sure, but once you pop out of it you need to get to point a and b at warp speed somehow because space is still really big. Even if it gets you 90% of the way there in a blink of an eye if that last 10% takes you 6 months it can be self defeating as well. So they probably would still have some sort of warp drive. Even Borg cubes did for likely simular reasons.
    Last edited by Low Hanging Fruit; 2021-01-13 at 01:25 PM.

  14. #2054
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    This seems to be a you problem as that is not the feedback i get from other trekkies and one of them lives with me, so yeah... i value his opinion more than yours.
    Visit the star trek sub on reddit sometime, disco does not enjoy a good rep. The disco sub on the other hand will pretty much hang you if you critique the show.

  15. #2055
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Many others don't. Everyone i know is loving it and several are trekkies. I only see strangers online hating on it, but somehow still keep looking up what is happening. It's suspicious.

    It was on the top 10 on netflix the whole season, so at least i know many people were watching.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I mean, some of us don't care about that and watch it for the story. Like being inclusive is a bad thing...

    No existing characters got forcibly sex or race changed, so i got no problems. But, yes, i suspect the inclusiveness is the reason why the show garners ire from some people. Nothing wrong with the show, more like something is wrong with those people.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I was gonna praise your reply, but then i finished reading the post.
    This is not the same federation. It's a lawless universe out there and Burham's methods are adequate for the universe they are now in cause they deliver results. The admiral says that.
    And you say all this enraged like Kirk was that different.

    This seems to be a you problem as that is not the feedback i get from other trekkies and one of them lives with me, so yeah... i value his opinion more than yours.

    I love the show. Very sad you don't. Hope you manage to move onto something else.
    Why are you twisting my words tho? Got some kind of agenda?

    I'm saying the same as the other guy. I'm watching star trek because i like star trek. But there is no point even trying to deny that its incredibly woke. And sometimes to poitns where it does feel kinda forced, sorry.

  16. #2056
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Exactly. And how would they even know that time travel is taking place when Discovery says they destroyed their tech.
    The Temporal War ended with ENT. It can be assumed that everyone is not fucking with time because its a bad idea in general. If you're going to nitpick about it, blame ENT writers for starting it in the first place.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    Honestly the first 5 episodes so far have been very boring to me. Its a really woke series though, i guess thats enough for some people
    Another person who doesn't understand Star Trek but feels the need to crew their hate-cog. TOS was Woke as fuck. Deal with it snowflake.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    From what I understand dilithium isn't fuel. It's a component that makes high warp possible. So the Romulans used a black hole to generate power but likely still used dilithium to increase speed.
    The Romulan's definitely used dilithium but it was never explained how. Their drive was used because of its utility with the cloaking device and nothing else.

  17. #2057
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    The Temporal War ended with ENT. It can be assumed that everyone is not fucking with time because its a bad idea in general. If you're going to nitpick about it, blame ENT writers for starting it in the first place.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Another person who doesn't understand Star Trek but feels the need to crew their hate-cog. TOS was Woke as fuck. Deal with it snowflake.

    - - - Updated - - -



    The Romulan's definitely used dilithium but it was never explained how. Their drive was used because of its utility with the cloaking device and nothing else.
    I've watched some of TOS and almost the entirety of Next gen. This is going to come as a shocker to you, and you arent going to like it, but you need to hear it.

    Being woke and being inclusionist isnt the same thing. They are actually almost polar opposites. Just like inclusion and racism. Woke is just the antithesis of racism(the new form where it includes homofobia and such).

    Being inclusive means being inclusive to everyone. Not singleling out small parts of the population thats going rabbidly violent for attention.

    Also me being a snowflake is literally projecting.

  18. #2058
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    I've watched some of TOS and almost the entirety of Next gen. This is going to come as a shocker to you, and you arent going to like it, but you need to hear it.

    Being woke and being inclusionist isnt the same thing. They are actually almost polar opposites. Just like inclusion and racism. Woke is just the antithesis of racism(the new form where it includes homofobia and such).

    Being inclusive means being inclusive to everyone. Not singleling out small parts of the population thats going rabbidly violent for attention.

    Also me being a snowflake is literally projecting.
    So you're a racist that wants to be included?

  19. #2059
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    So you're a racist that wants to be included?
    Where in the world are you getting that from?

    Edit

    Wait is this one of those times where people cant argue their case and jumps on the racism card for literally no reason because that per definition makes the other part evil and as thus they win the argument?
    Last edited by ClassicPeon; 2021-01-13 at 02:53 PM.

  20. #2060
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    Where in the world are you getting that from?

    Edit

    Wait is this one of those times where people cant argue their case and jumps on the racism card for literally no reason because that per definition makes the other part evil and as thus they win the argument?
    Nah... deliberately obtuse or unwilling to recognize your pov because it doesn't make sense to him.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •