1. #2081
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    Check yourself before you come with any more unsubstantiated wild claims please. Grow the fuck up.



    This has nothing to do with what i wrote. Feel free to read it again and try replying again in aproper way.



    Explain that to these people https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_...of_LGBT_people



    That is either a straight up lie or it shows you know absolutely nothing about what you are talking about
    You need to put more thought into what you say. Some of it wouldn't be out of place on right wing talk radio.

    People with values that are different from what's on Star Trek, watch the show. If I can't tell you apart from the legit racists, who also whine about the "lack" of straight white males, then maybe you just need to change how you post.

    "Historically, the portrayals of LGBT communities in media have been negative, reflecting the cultural intolerance of LGBT individuals; however, from the 1990s to present day, there has been an increase in the depictions of LGBT people, issues, and concerns within mainstream media in North America." From your link. Smells like tolerance and opportunity.

    People who have historically been denied opportunity don't want it? Well, to be fair, Nichelle Nichols wasn't happy with the opportunity given to her but she stuck it out for the betterment of television.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    Does intolerant - in this case- encompass people who call other people racists, bigots and accuse them of justifying racism out of thin air without apology or argumentation afterwards?

    Just curious
    I didn't do it out of thin air. You engaged in bullshit and I called you on it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    Using just the one example that sticks with me from the season finale, the trill. Ivan pointed out that it's known that trill personas can split off from the greater whole and do their own thing - and that's perfectly plausible and not at issue. But then you get into the magical computer that can apparently read minds, and then translate that mind reading into a new body that everyone can see.
    My bigger issue with that scene is the other memories not coming out to play. Gray is the most prominent of them but I wouldn't have minded a big group hug.

  2. #2082
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    You need to put more thought into what you say. Some of it wouldn't be out of place on right wing talk radio.

    People with values that are different from what's on Star Trek, watch the show. If I can't tell you apart from the legit racists, who also whine about the "lack" of straight white males, then maybe you just need to change how you post.

    "Historically, the portrayals of LGBT communities in media have been negative, reflecting the cultural intolerance of LGBT individuals; however, from the 1990s to present day, there has been an increase in the depictions of LGBT people, issues, and concerns within mainstream media in North America." From your link. Smells like tolerance and opportunity.

    People who have historically been denied opportunity don't want it? Well, to be fair, Nichelle Nichols wasn't happy with the opportunity given to her but she stuck it out for the betterment of television.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I didn't do it out of thin air. You engaged in bullshit and I called you on it.
    I engaged in what you personally subjectively thought was bullshit which justifies calling aperson racist and a bigot aswell as saying they are justifying racism?

    Is that your argument here?

    You need to put more thought into what you say. Some of it wouldn't be out of place on right wing talk radio.
    Try arguing. Just try it. I'l wait

  3. #2083
    The way I see it, Discovery writing would still be bad even if Michael Burnham was a white guy. I imagine the media would be all over him for his 'toxic masculininity' for constantly challenging the captain's authority and doing their own thing (Especially in the first episode where we had the female captain).

    Being inclusive doesn't suddenly make a show good, and just because someone hates a poorly written person of color doesn't mean their racist and wouldn't enjoy a well written person of color.

  4. #2084
    Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    The way I see it, Discovery writing would still be bad even if Michael Burnham was a white guy. I imagine the media would be all over him for his 'toxic masculininity' for constantly challenging the captain's authority and doing their own thing (Especially in the first episode where we had the female captain).

    Being inclusive doesn't suddenly make a show good, and just because someone hates a poorly written person of color doesn't mean their racist and wouldn't enjoy a well written person of color.
    This was actually my original point aswell. Ifind the show kinda lacking in general this season. As far as i remember i found it more interesting in the first seasons.

  5. #2085
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    I engaged in what you personally subjectively thought was bullshit which justifies calling aperson racist and a bigot aswell as saying they are justifying racism?

    Is that your argument here?



    Try arguing. Just try it. I'l wait
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    Its a really woke series though, i guess thats enough for some people
    Racists give a shit if something is "woke". Non-racists do not. If you stopped at "boring", I wouldn't have bothered replying.

    More importantly I don't find DSC to be especially "woke" by any standard and certainly not more than TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT.

  6. #2086
    This has gone icnredibly off topic. Stop discussing forbidden topics (Race, Sex, Relgion, etc) in his subforum.

  7. #2087
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    The Temporal War ended with ENT. It can be assumed that everyone is not fucking with time because its a bad idea in general. If you're going to nitpick about it, blame ENT writers for starting it in the first place.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Another person who doesn't understand Star Trek but feels the need to crew their hate-cog. TOS was Woke as fuck. Deal with it snowflake.

    - - - Updated - - -



    The Romulan's definitely used dilithium but it was never explained how. Their drive was used because of its utility with the cloaking device and nothing else.
    Yeah the temporal war ended. They didn't just destroy all the tech and hope nobody created new shit. They literally had kids using time travel shit in school. They didn't say time travel was bad it was changing the past that was bad. Multiple people and species created different time travel shit you really think if tech keeps advancing that nobody else in the entire universe would ever come up with it again? Come on man use some common sense.


    "Because dilithium was used to regulate matter-antimatter reactions, this caused any ship with an active warp core to lose antimatter containment, resulting in a warp core breach." Singularity drives don't have matter-antimatter reactions. The very lore they came up in discovery was specifically about the Dilithium going inert and not itself exploding.

    For all we know Romulan's mined Dilithium to trade. Or other things on a ship. But what we do know is the reason shit exploded in Discovery would not be possible on a Romulan ship.

  8. #2088
    Elemental Lord Kithelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere where canon still exists
    Posts
    8,455
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    No, they didn't. TOS was all Kirk, Spock and McCoy. TNG was almost all Picard and Data. DS9 probably had the most well-rounded out cast of characters of any Trek incarnation. Yeah, you saw Scotty and Sulu and Uhura, but no episode revolved around them. TNG solved that a bit with occasional episodes focusing on someone other than Picard or Data but most episodes revolved around those two.



    Actually to Discovery I would add Owo (was so glad she was ok), Detmer, Adira Tal, Gray, Vance, Airiam, Jett Reno, Ash Tyler, Cornwell, Nhan, and Landry all as characters that have had more screen time and development than the average Trek character. Compare pretty much any of those I just mentioned with Uhura in TOS, they have gotten much more development. For an added bonus, STO players get even more development of characters like Landry, Stamets and Lorca

    Discovery isn't perfect, but it's good and a new version of Trek and it's finding its audience. Hell, it's what has gotten my wife into Star Trek now and she's watched the Kelvin movies and selected episodes of TNG with me and is loving it all so far. People hated TNG when it first came out because it "wasn't Trek", not the way they remembered it.

    Oh, and my only quibble with the finale was Burnham fighting Osyrra and jumping all over the place like her leg was just fine ... and then afterwards going back to limping Oopsie!
    Finding its audience...can't even beat reruns on TV for free in multiple countries...it's niche at best and would be cancelled if Netflix wasn't stupid enough to sign a massive contract when they foolishly expected Star Trek and got NuTrek instead.

    But what is good about it really? What is good? All the crying? Baby throwing a tantrum in a nebula somehow caused all Dilithium to explode? Important mysteries to be solved....but no we'll hop to another part of the quadrant to help someone we just met....those mysteries can wait! The moment Burnham seems to realize the galaxy doesn't revolve around her and maybe she'll actually have some character growth and the very next episode it's "Only Burnham can do the thing"?

    Discovery isn't TNG....it isn't Trek in but name only. More people are turning on it than gaining more viewers....even loyal viewers are getting sick of all the crying. Once that contract is out the show is gone....no one is going to be foolish enough to pay 8 million a episode for this dumpster fire and without all the pretty lights and colors for people to stare at this show has nothing but stupidity....which will get it nowhere.
    #WithoutRespectWeReject

  9. #2089
    Honestly this was my 'favorite' season of discovery. It was free of the retcon mine field for the most part, so could spread its wings and do something new instead of banking entirely on prequal nastalgia baiting.

    I thought the first half of the season was okay, even mostly good as long as you didn't dig into the details too much. It felt trek to me, even if not always well written trek. It fell apart for me once they got back to the mirror universe stuff. I like discovery's mirror universe, but its just a weird heel-turn to go back it, and spending 2 episodes of an already short season on it when they have the literal cause of the burn there was a waste. If they wanted to keep the empress in the past...why did they write it otherwise in S2?

    I think the screaming kid damaging ships idea coulda worked if it was localized to an episode and not effecting the entire galaxy. Its sort of like how all the weird god-entities in Trek don't usually shape seasons. You meat them, they're weird, and the crew mostly moves on like nothing happened. Only the Q really became a regular. But when you have a big shakeup in the setting like this, it being 'because a kid was sad' is really lame.

    I will say Admiral Vance was probably the best admiral in trek. The only one who didn't end up being a dick or corrupt or incompotent.

    I wish the Emerald Chain hadn't instantly disintegrated the moment Osyra died, and I dont get why the Ferengi weren't all over that.

  10. #2090
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Many others don't. Everyone i know is loving it and several are trekkies.
    *DOUBT*

    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    It was on the top 10 on netflix the whole season, so at least i know many people were watching.
    I know math is hard, cause for that to be true a lot of people have to watch Netflix, and its a fact Netflix is in a downwards trend....

    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    But, yes, i suspect the inclusiveness is the reason why the show garners ire from some people.
    nobody care about inclusiveness its about the way its done.... hell even STOS was more progressiv with the Kiss between Uhura/Kirk...

    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    This is not the same federation.
    WRONG! As long as the federation follow the federation rule books its the same

    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    It's a lawless universe out there
    Sorry what BULLSHIT is that?

    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    And you say all this enraged like Kirk was that different.
    neither TOS, TNG nor DS9 was a one (wo)man show like discovery is

  11. #2091
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Yeah the temporal war ended. They didn't just destroy all the tech and hope nobody created new shit. They literally had kids using time travel shit in school. They didn't say time travel was bad it was changing the past that was bad. Multiple people and species created different time travel shit you really think if tech keeps advancing that nobody else in the entire universe would ever come up with it again? Come on man use some common sense.


    "Because dilithium was used to regulate matter-antimatter reactions, this caused any ship with an active warp core to lose antimatter containment, resulting in a warp core breach." Singularity drives don't have matter-antimatter reactions. The very lore they came up in discovery was specifically about the Dilithium going inert and not itself exploding.

    For all we know Romulan's mined Dilithium to trade. Or other things on a ship. But what we do know is the reason shit exploded in Discovery would not be possible on a Romulan ship.
    The show then becomes about time travel shenanigans. The Temporal War was bad and we’re not going to do it anymore isn’t especially controversial. Or so I thought.

    The only thing that we can explicitly state about the Singularity drive is: it works better with the cloaking device, it only appeared on D’Deridex cruisers, it’s slower than regular warp drives, it’s more perilous to use. That’s it. I am aware that DSC writers might be fucking up but you’re overplaying the utility of it.

  12. #2092
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    You specifically argued that woke is the antithesis of racism. Why is that a bad thing? Seems like its a very, very good thing.
    thats like saying to much rain is bad but no rain is not *facepalm*
    Last edited by tmamass; 2021-01-13 at 06:51 PM.

  13. #2093
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    Why are you twisting my words tho? Got some kind of agenda?

    I'm saying the same as the other guy. I'm watching star trek because i like star trek. But there is no point even trying to deny that its incredibly woke. And sometimes to poitns where it does feel kinda forced, sorry.
    Nah, it wasn't meant to you. It's an impression i have at large cause the show is pretty decent.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2021-01-13 at 07:03 PM.

  14. #2094
    Quote Originally Posted by tmamass View Post
    *DOUBT*


    I know math is hard, cause for that to be true a lot of people have to watch Netflix, and its a fact Netflix is in a downwards trend....


    nobody care about inclusiveness its about the way its done.... hell even STOS was more progressiv with the Kiss between Uhura/Kirk...

    WRONG! As long as the federation follow the federation rule books its the same

    Sorry what BULLSHIT is that?

    neither TOS, TNG nor DS9 was a one (wo)man show like discovery is
    Wow... You do know Netflix has the largest subscription base of all TV services? It has 183M subscribers. It is also the best by far in terms of offers, so it deserves it.

    Yes, ST was always progressive, so i don't understand the surprise.

    Did you even watch the show? It sounds like you don't even know what is going on. There is no sense in this discussion when you don't know what you are talking about. There is a big dilithium shortage. The Federation lost most of it's member planets and does not have the ability to reach it used to have. Heck, in this season they were fighting a cartel that rules a huge part of the galaxy, the emerald chain. That is what i happening in the show. Seems like you are unaware of that.

    The show is definitely not all about Michael either. A lot of the peripheral cast saw development this season. We saw a lot more about the crew. But, hey... you didn't watch it so how would you know? Dude... just move on. The show isn't bad. You just don't like it.

  15. #2095
    This season was good, but I'm done with CBS All Access. Have you all been watching this on Netflix? Any chance this will come to netflix in the US in the future?
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2021-01-13 at 07:17 PM.

  16. #2096
    Changed the content because of the mod post, didnt see it.

    Please ban the moron calling out racists and bigotry left and right
    Last edited by ClassicPeon; 2021-01-13 at 07:17 PM.

  17. #2097
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    This season was good, but I'm done with CBS All Access. You all have been watching this on Netflix? Are all 3 seasons on Netflix? I'm trying to figure out how upset I am learning this news, lol.
    I watch it on Crave. Which has a lot of other stuff to watch. It’s on Netflix everywhere else. CBS all access does look like a crap deal.

  18. #2098
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    I watch it on Crave. Which has a lot of other stuff to watch. It’s on Netflix everywhere else. CBS all access does look like a crap deal.
    Before this thread, I had been paying since Picard came out to stay subscribed. Entirely my fault for not looking elsewhere for it(and Picard) but yeah, after reading this, I think I'm gonna shop around and watch it elsewhere. I watch nothing else on CBS All Access but star trek stuff.

  19. #2099
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    This season was good, but I'm done with CBS All Access. Have you all been watching this on Netflix? Any chance this will come to netflix in the US in the future?
    https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/en...tflix-cbs.html

    Per this article they're working it, but it's not all there yet. They'd be more-or-less competing with themselves by having their own service and netflix streaming it in the US.

  20. #2100
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    The show then becomes about time travel shenanigans. The Temporal War was bad and we’re not going to do it anymore isn’t especially controversial. Or so I thought.

    The only thing that we can explicitly state about the Singularity drive is: it works better with the cloaking device, it only appeared on D’Deridex cruisers, it’s slower than regular warp drives, it’s more perilous to use. That’s it. I am aware that DSC writers might be fucking up but you’re overplaying the utility of it.
    Why would the show need to be about time travel shenanigans? Did adding the Mirror universe mean everything needed to be about the mirror universe? Well I guess since this is Discovery and they gotta use everything to death I guess Discovery probably would have been all about time travel if they hadn't destroyed it....... Every other series has done a good job of not overplaying shit.

    Overplaying the use of it? It literally stated it doesn't use matter-antimatter reactions which is what cause all the ships to explode. Not having an exploding ship is a pretty big deal imo.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •