1. #2101
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Why would the show need to be about time travel shenanigans? Did adding the Mirror universe mean everything needed to be about the mirror universe? Well I guess since this is Discovery and they gotta use everything to death I guess Discovery probably would have been all about time travel if they hadn't destroyed it....... Every other series has done a good job of not overplaying shit.

    Overplaying the use of it? It literally stated it doesn't use matter-antimatter reactions which is what cause all the ships to explode. Not having an exploding ship is a pretty big deal imo.
    We’ll get nerds just arguing that time travel will fix it. Which you could say about every other Trek show. An actual event happened in Trek, not DSC related, suggesting that time travel is a bad idea.

    Ask yourself this: “What if that dude didn’t invent Transparent Aluminum?”

    I pointed out the downsides of it. You keep ignoring that part. If you’re that curious why don’t you just go ask the writers.

    Furthermore an AM/M reaction doesn’t require dilithium but if you expect to go faster than Warp 1 you’ll probably want dilithium. In the mean time fast travel in the 31st century requires rare, hard to acquire/manufacture technology or rare dilithium. Everyone else was travelling at Boomer speeds.

  2. #2102
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    We’ll get nerds just arguing that time travel will fix it. Which you could say about every other Trek show. An actual event happened in Trek, not DSC related, suggesting that time travel is a bad idea.

    Ask yourself this: “What if that dude didn’t invent Transparent Aluminum?”

    I pointed out the downsides of it. You keep ignoring that part. If you’re that curious why don’t you just go ask the writers.

    Furthermore an AM/M reaction doesn’t require dilithium but if you expect to go faster than Warp 1 you’ll probably want dilithium. In the mean time fast travel in the 31st century requires rare, hard to acquire/manufacture technology or rare dilithium. Everyone else was travelling at Boomer speeds.
    Why would you get nerds arguing when its already been established that you shouldn't change the past but you can do shit in the future?

    Yeah and its already been established that the Temporal Accord was put in place to set up the timeline they wanted. STO has a good quest series where the Na'kuhl and shit ask us why our future is the correct one. There's no way the Federation could possibly shut down their time travel stuff and hope nobody fucks with time again. Hell even the Borg had some sort of time travel. Once the cats out of the bag you can't expect everyone to just leave it alone. Especially when you have been fucking with time yourself.

    What downsides? Its more perilous to use than a fucking engine that could potentially explode at any second?? Where is the lore stating that? Do you have any proof of anything you said?

    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/The_Burn

  3. #2103
    Recently I just caught up with the newest episodes of Discovery and still wonder... Why weren't the other people that joined the trill symbiont made visible and weren't given a non-corporeal form on Theta Zeta in the Verubin Nebula the same way as Gray Tal?

  4. #2104
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    This is not the same federation.
    It's still a hierarchical organization that needs to function to achieve its objectives.
    It's a lawless universe
    Irrelevant. The problem is not a "legal" one. The problem is that Burnham is a fucking ticking timebomb who constantly explodes and just leaves complete devastation in her path. It was true in her own century and it remains true in the future. It's bad writing that the consequences of her actions are never addressed.

    Star Trek is choke full of stories of Starfleet officers disobeying orders for moral or practical reasons. Kirk did it twice a week, Picard did it once every 3 episodes, Sisko was mostly left to do whatever the fuck he thought was the right thing to do. But the common thread in all those cases was that they never did it for personal reasons. They would raise moral, ethical and practical objections, being the people on the "front lines" and having perspective that people up the chain of command would often lack due to the distances involved. They would ultimately always put the greater good before their personal interests.

    Burnham is the polar opposite. She has no guiding core of principles. She just rampages through shit, does whatever she feels like and the writers come up with absolutely terrible plot contrivances to justify her constantly failing upwards. That's why it's bad writing.

    Burnham doesn't have a core personality beyond "I do whatever I feel like, no matter what", so it's impossible to write actual challenges for her.

    With Picard, Kirk, Sisko, Archer, Janeway they clearly established who these people were and what guided their decisions. Then they would create moral dilemmas that the characters had to negotiate. If they had to sacrifice their principles for practical reasons we would see and understand the struggle and we would see how they would negotiate with finding ways to deal with these issues. And when they would sacrifice the practical for the moral principles we could understand why they would make these decision.

    Burnham does none of those things. Again, it's not the character's fault. It's the fucking terrible writing by people who clearly don't understand how to write characters that have any depth or how to write a fucking story arc.

    And this extends to entire show. It's just an inconsistent mess. They can't write episodic content and they can't write a story arc, they also can't seem to write dialogue that doesn't involve shouting.

    out there and Burham's methods are adequate for the universe they are now in cause they deliver results. The admiral says that.
    Burnham's methods work because the writers magically make them work and just ignore every paper bag they write themselves into. And the admiral is an idiot because the writes are idiots and the admiral is just another one dimensional character who only exists to validate Burnham.

    You can say whatever the fuck you want, it's still a fucking terrible show that is horribly written. You can choose to ignore that and say YOU like it for the entertainment value no matter what, and that's fine, but it's still really badly written, it's the same trash SYFY churns out on something like a 10000$ weekly budget.

    Jesus, they should have just poached the writers from Killjoys or Dark Matter from SYFY and they would have ended up with a 15 times better show, because those people understood things like character development and how to set up story arcs. Even if SYFY cancels 9 out of 10 shows before those story arcs can be fully developed.

    Fucking Dark Matter was cancelled halfway through its story arc and the writers still managed to cobble something together that at least made sense for ending the season.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2021-01-14 at 12:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    It doesnt destroy the land to bury styrofoam 25 feet below the ground
    Today Obama once again kneeled at the altar of environmental naziism and hurt this once great country. He has now banned all drilling in the Atlantic Ocean

  5. #2105
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mama View Post
    Recently I just caught up with the newest episodes of Discovery and still wonder... Why weren't the other people that joined the trill symbiont made visible and weren't given a non-corporeal form on Theta Zeta in the Verubin Nebula the same way as Gray Tal?
    Because Gray's the only one that's manifesting to Adira like that. Normally past symbiont lives are essentially just memories, not people that the host is actively having conversations with.

  6. #2106
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Why would you get nerds arguing when its already been established that you shouldn't change the past but you can do shit in the future?

    Yeah and its already been established that the Temporal Accord was put in place to set up the timeline they wanted. STO has a good quest series where the Na'kuhl and shit ask us why our future is the correct one. There's no way the Federation could possibly shut down their time travel stuff and hope nobody fucks with time again. Hell even the Borg had some sort of time travel. Once the cats out of the bag you can't expect everyone to just leave it alone. Especially when you have been fucking with time yourself.

    What downsides? Its more perilous to use than a fucking engine that could potentially explode at any second?? Where is the lore stating that? Do you have any proof of anything you said?

    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/The_Burn
    That's you disbelieving because of reasons. If everyone can use time travel then why bother adhering to anything? And, no, one-off stories are not a solution to that.

    Speaking of belief....

    Where does it say that Romulan ships don't use dilithium? Explicitly states it. Honestly, I used to take that at face value. Now I don't. Romulans don't use AM/M on certain ships. That's not the same as not using dilithium. Dilithium makes the AM/M reaction better but that doesn't mean that a non-AM/M ship doesn't use dilithium. Part of the warp core also directs the flow of outputted energy which is also regulated by dilithium.

  7. #2107
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    It's still a hierarchical organization that needs to function to achieve its objectives.


    Irrelevant. The problem is not a "legal" one. The problem is that Burnham is a fucking ticking timebomb who constantly explodes and just leaves complete devastation in her path. It was true in her own century and it remains true in the future. It's bad writing that the consequences of her actions are never addressed.

    Star Trek is choke full of stories of Starfleet officers disobeying orders for moral or practical reasons. Kirk did it twice a week, Picard did it once every 3 episodes, Sisko was mostly left to do whatever the fuck he thought was the right thing to do. But the common thread in all those cases was that they never did it for personal reasons. They would raise moral, ethical and practical objections, being the people on the "front lines" and having perspective that people up the chain of command would often lack due to the distances involved. They would ultimately always put the greater good before their personal interests.

    Burnham is the polar opposite. She has no guiding core of principles. She just rampages through shit, does whatever she feels like and the writers come up with absolutely terrible plot contrivances to justify her constantly failing upwards. That's why it's bad writing.

    Burnham doesn't have a core personality beyond "I do whatever I feel like, no matter what", so it's impossible to write actual challenges for her.

    With Picard, Kirk, Sisko, Archer, Janeway they clearly established who these people were and what guided their decisions. Then they would create moral dilemmas that the characters had to negotiate. If they had to sacrifice their principles for practical reasons we would see and understand the struggle and we would see how they would negotiate with finding ways to deal with these issues. And when they would sacrifice the practical for the moral principles we could understand why they would make these decision.

    Burnham does none of those things. Again, it's not the character's fault. It's the fucking terrible writing by people who clearly don't understand how to write characters that have any depth or how to write a fucking story arc.

    And this extends to entire show. It's just an inconsistent mess. They can't write episodic content and they can't write a story arc, they also can't seem to write dialogue that doesn't involve shouting.



    Burnham's methods work because the writers magically make them work and just ignore every paper bag they write themselves into. And the admiral is an idiot because the writes are idiots and the admiral is just another one dimensional character who only exists to validate Burnham.

    You can say whatever the fuck you want, it's still a fucking terrible show that is horribly written. You can choose to ignore that and say YOU like it for the entertainment value no matter what, and that's fine, but it's still really badly written, it's the same trash SYFY churns out on something like a 10000$ weekly budget.

    Jesus, they should have just poached the writers from Killjoys or Dark Matter from SYFY and they would have ended up with a 15 times better show, because those people understood things like character development and how to set up story arcs. Even if SYFY cancels 9 out of 10 shows before those story arcs can be fully developed.

    Fucking Dark Matter was cancelled halfway through its story arc and the writers still managed to cobble something together that at least made sense for ending the season.
    That is a beautiful opinion of what you want it to be. But, alas, it's not you writing the story. They jumped in time and it's a new era with new "rules", wether you like it or not.
    You can accept that or not. Go pitch your idea to CBS. If they accept it, you can make the show you want with the writers you want.

    This one though, i enjoy. Hey, maybe i will enjoy yours too, if you can make it. Otherwise, this one is working for me.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2021-01-14 at 01:25 AM.

  8. #2108
    I really like Discovery, season one had shit moments but had some nice ones, overal season 2 was not good, season 3 really turned things around from season 2, still some bad moments bad overall very good and I am looking forward to a resurgant Federation plot, will be nice and I hope more episodic, oddly, normally not a fan of episodic and like an arc but its been 'too arcy' for the show, some episodic stuff will be a nice brather.

    I have liked and loathed Burnaham at various points in the story so just for that I have to apreciate the character, it did its job, overall would like I dunno some real punishment for the character but not sure in what form that could even take, not sure story wise who could really be the captain of the Discovery, I liked Saru but he never had the real Oomph needed for captaincy.

  9. #2109
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    If a captain is unavailable to command a ship then the first officer takes over, and so and so down the command chain. At least that's how it works in Starfleet. Sure an admiral can be assign someone else to command from the lower ranks of the chain of command, but that would explicitly imply that the admiral has no confidence in the first officer. Aka Tilly. What would make sense is to bring in a new captain from outside the ship's existing crew, to not fuck with the existing chain of command.

    Furthermore, it doesn't fucking matter what the fuck Burnham might or might have not done in the episode her fucking disciplinary record is so incredibly and stunningly atrocious that not a single flag officer in existence would ever even remotely consider giving Burnham command of anything, not even a kitchen detail let alone a starship.

    Burnham literally cannot be trusted around sharp objects as she might just have an emotional moment and either go AWOL (if you're lucky), blow the ship (if you are somewhat unlucky) or start a galaxy wide war (if you are really unlucky).

    Burnham shouldn't just have never been reinstated as an actual officer but have proven herself countless times to be utterly unfit to serve in Starfleet and incomprehensibly unfit to actually be in command.
    I don't know about that, I remember a DS9 and Voyager episode that had a time jump to Kirk's time (one was with Kirk the other with Sulu) and I remember in the Voyager episode them stating that it was a different starfleet back then, they were far more bold and not that regulated a bit like mavericks adn the antics people like kirk and co would pull would have had them expelled from starfleet a long time ago.

    in that vein, Burnham seems to be a bit more of that ilk, willing to take risks. Burnham might do things that defy regulations but she is 100% right every time and it pulls off, even when it seems she isn't right, she makes the right call in an impossible situation that following regulations and protocol would have commanded losses.

    The way they portray her she should either be an admiral or a federation leader. People like her either get court martialled and expelled or get fast tracked and gain swift promotions because they just seem to have fortune with them and an uncanny ability to get really tough things done to extraordinary effect.

    Burnham has saved her ship, the federation and the galaxy a number of times, her achievements far outstrip any impropriety or protocol breaking she is guilty o, one might wonder given the scale of her accomplishments, that if she was a man, she would have had less opposition, greater praise, and been promoted and trusted faster.

    All things being equal, I am surprised it has taken that long for Burnham to become a Captain, and I thought in Season 3, she exceeded both the achievements and requirements of any rank in Starfleet - but it also made sense that given her court martial situation in the 23rd century, it makes sense that promotion comes in the 32nd century when she proves herself in such an incredible way and has no ghosts of the past in the current admiralty to hold back her promotion.

    I love how Tilly insisted she take the chair this time. Although there is a sense of false pride in the way they write her accepting it.

  10. #2110
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    That's you disbelieving because of reasons. If everyone can use time travel then why bother adhering to anything? And, no, one-off stories are not a solution to that.

    Speaking of belief....

    Where does it say that Romulan ships don't use dilithium? Explicitly states it. Honestly, I used to take that at face value. Now I don't. Romulans don't use AM/M on certain ships. That's not the same as not using dilithium. Dilithium makes the AM/M reaction better but that doesn't mean that a non-AM/M ship doesn't use dilithium. Part of the warp core also directs the flow of outputted energy which is also regulated by dilithium.
    Me disbelieving in what? I link you shit why can't you link any proof? Discovery has already shown you can time travel just fine into the future with no repercussions. The temporal accords were created to keep the timeline the way they wanted. Which is why some time travel shit has been allowed. How can you regulate time travel if you destroy your tech?

    Where does it say Romulan ships use dilithium? Also where does it say only one class of ships use singularity cores? Dilithium doesn't make the reaction better. The Dilithium going inert wouldn't have caused the AM/M reactions to go overboard. Clearly its gotta be to regulate the reaction between them otherwise its more bad writing on Discoveries part. Also Dilithium lost its charge all the time and didn't cause ships to explode it was specifically said due to the matter-antimatter reactions the Dilithium was regulating.

  11. #2111
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Me disbelieving in what? I link you shit why can't you link any proof? Discovery has already shown you can time travel just fine into the future with no repercussions. The temporal accords were created to keep the timeline the way they wanted. Which is why some time travel shit has been allowed. How can you regulate time travel if you destroy your tech?

    Where does it say Romulan ships use dilithium? Also where does it say only one class of ships use singularity cores? Dilithium doesn't make the reaction better. The Dilithium going inert wouldn't have caused the AM/M reactions to go overboard. Clearly its gotta be to regulate the reaction between them otherwise its more bad writing on Discoveries part. Also Dilithium lost its charge all the time and didn't cause ships to explode it was specifically said due to the matter-antimatter reactions the Dilithium was regulating.
    By agreement not to use it. There’s enforcement of it going on. How it’s enforced is never stated.

    The D’Derix class cruiser is the only known ship type to use the singularity drive. No other ship is known to use it. That’s canon. You’re welcome to disprove that.
    Romulans use dilithium. This is known. What they use it for is never stated. Not once. Some say it’s trade but the Romulans are both xenophobic and tyrannical so I don’t think trade is a priority for them. That’s speculation on both sides.
    The AM/M didn’t go overboard. They do what they do. Make a massive amount of energy. Dilithium is used to control that reaction. Without that control it simply goes boom. Not all dilithium ships exploded. Just the ones actively running their warp cores. Which was a lot of them. Any time in the past they had the opportunity to shut down engines before decrystalization.

    The singularity drive is an inferior power source that may or may not use dilithium. It still generates a lot of power that needs to be regulated. Since the drive can not be turned off it could be that dilithium is useful for processing the energy given off by the drive. Hell the matter that’s thrown into the drive to cause a reaction could be dilithium.

  12. #2112
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    By agreement not to use it. There’s enforcement of it going on. How it’s enforced is never stated.

    The D’Derix class cruiser is the only known ship type to use the singularity drive. No other ship is known to use it. That’s canon. You’re welcome to disprove that.
    Romulans use dilithium. This is known. What they use it for is never stated. Not once. Some say it’s trade but the Romulans are both xenophobic and tyrannical so I don’t think trade is a priority for them. That’s speculation on both sides.
    The AM/M didn’t go overboard. They do what they do. Make a massive amount of energy. Dilithium is used to control that reaction. Without that control it simply goes boom. Not all dilithium ships exploded. Just the ones actively running their warp cores. Which was a lot of them. Any time in the past they had the opportunity to shut down engines before decrystalization.

    The singularity drive is an inferior power source that may or may not use dilithium. It still generates a lot of power that needs to be regulated. Since the drive can not be turned off it could be that dilithium is useful for processing the energy given off by the drive. Hell the matter that’s thrown into the drive to cause a reaction could be dilithium.
    There are dozens of species that hate the Federation. How you going to regulate their time travel without it on your own? They said the tech was destroyed in discovery. There is no enforcement they don't have the technology to be able to enforce it.

    Only known and yet it was specifically stated they used it because its easier to mask for their cloaking tech. And I forget do other classes use cloaking tech??? HMMMMM. Also STO which had to get everything ok'ed by cbs has Romulans using singularity cores in all their ships: "As part of the Star Trek franchise, the game itself has to be considered soft-canon, as any new TV series or movie could easily contradict its stories and settings." So technically its cannon unless a tv series or film contradicts it.

    You do realize an alien species tried to lay its eggs in a singularity core right? And that they are artificial black holes? If you had to shovel Dilithum into it I doubt it would have not noticed it wasn't a natural singularity. Also Singularity cores can't be turned off once activated. Dilithium drains from use. You would have millions of Romulan ships constantly exploding if they needed a near infinite supply of Dilithium. 90% of the ship would have to be filled with Dilithium if they were shoveling it into a black hole like it was steam engine.

    "By the late 31st century, the dilithium supply in the galaxy began to dry up. This caused the Federation to start trials on alternate warp drive designs but none proved reliable. In roughly 3069, refined dilithium across the galaxy suddenly became inert, resulting in an uncontrolled mixing of matter and antimatter which destroyed all ships that had an active warp core. " Again it was the antimatter and matter not being able to regulate the mixing that was the problem. There is no mixing in a singularity core.

    Not sure why your so obsessed with defending bad writing but I'm done trying to explain facts to you its getting tiring.

  13. #2113
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    There are dozens of species that hate the Federation. How you going to regulate their time travel without it on your own? They said the tech was destroyed in discovery. There is no enforcement they don't have the technology to be able to enforce it.

    Only known and yet it was specifically stated they used it because its easier to mask for their cloaking tech. And I forget do other classes use cloaking tech??? HMMMMM. Also STO which had to get everything ok'ed by cbs has Romulans using singularity cores in all their ships: "As part of the Star Trek franchise, the game itself has to be considered soft-canon, as any new TV series or movie could easily contradict its stories and settings." So technically its cannon unless a tv series or film contradicts it.

    You do realize an alien species tried to lay its eggs in a singularity core right? And that they are artificial black holes? If you had to shovel Dilithum into it I doubt it would have not noticed it wasn't a natural singularity. Also Singularity cores can't be turned off once activated. Dilithium drains from use. You would have millions of Romulan ships constantly exploding if they needed a near infinite supply of Dilithium. 90% of the ship would have to be filled with Dilithium if they were shoveling it into a black hole like it was steam engine.

    "By the late 31st century, the dilithium supply in the galaxy began to dry up. This caused the Federation to start trials on alternate warp drive designs but none proved reliable. In roughly 3069, refined dilithium across the galaxy suddenly became inert, resulting in an uncontrolled mixing of matter and antimatter which destroyed all ships that had an active warp core. " Again it was the antimatter and matter not being able to regulate the mixing that was the problem. There is no mixing in a singularity core.

    Not sure why your so obsessed with defending bad writing but I'm done trying to explain facts to you its getting tiring.
    There is enforcement. The Guardian of Forever said as much.

    The D'deridex is the only known class that uses the singularity drive. Playing a video game doesn't change that. That's still the lesser point. (PS WTF!)

    A drive that attracts beings to lay eggs in it isn't very good. Especially if it starts causing weird temporal shifts.

    The singularity drive works by dropping matter into it. That matter is obliterated by the singularity and energy is released. That energy is then captured and used to power the D'deridex. What type of matter is never stated although hydrogen is the simplest. So there is in fact mixing in a singularity core. The point where dilithium might actually be used would be the intermix chamber where the energy feeds into. Dilithium is used in this chamber to regulate the energy in an AM/M ship but it could also be used here.

    A Romulan ship using dilithium is still speculation.
    A Romulan ship not using dilithium is also speculation. Your entire argument hinges on speculation that you've never bothered to prove.

  14. #2114
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Because Gray's the only one that's manifesting to Adira like that. Normally past symbiont lives are essentially just memories, not people that the host is actively having conversations with.
    I'm guessing that because Gray and Adira were so close to each other that might be the reason why he's the only one manifesting to her and to the holo. This would imply that former host memories are more than just memories, but an actual continuing part of the symbiont. It'll be interesting to see where they go with it and how they explain it eventually, I really enjoy the Adira and Gray characters so far.
    Shut your goddamn mouth, Gene!

  15. #2115
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    B'ham, AL
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Why would you get nerds arguing when ....
    BWWWAahahahahahaha - you new to the nerd scene?

    Nerds argue about anything and everything. Doesn't matter what 'is already established.'

    There are about 30 PAGES of posts in the Mandalorian TV thread between 2-3 nerds all arguing over whether Akosha had technically died or not because one of the prior series killed the character and then did some time-travel and saved her to be alive again. And she's alive in the Mandalorian. So we've got 30 pages of bullcrap to wade through in that thread that has nothing to do with Mandalorian/the tv show at all. Because two nerds decided that 'technically dead' was something worth arguing about. (At least that was my take away.)

    ...Why would nerds argue....

    Might as well ask why humans make mistakes.

    That phrase just struck me as so funny I had to say something.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mama View Post
    Recently I just caught up with the newest episodes of Discovery and still wonder... Why weren't the other people that joined the trill symbiont made visible and weren't given a non-corporeal form on Theta Zeta in the Verubin Nebula the same way as Gray Tal?
    Cuz they decided not to pay actors to be those characters. I mean that's the "real" reason.

    The lore reason won't ever make sense because Gray being physically existing doesn't make sense either. I would expect whatever explanation the show may give is just as 'magical' as the reason Gray is there.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

  16. #2116
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    There is enforcement. The Guardian of Forever said as much.

    The D'deridex is the only known class that uses the singularity drive. Playing a video game doesn't change that. That's still the lesser point. (PS WTF!)

    A drive that attracts beings to lay eggs in it isn't very good. Especially if it starts causing weird temporal shifts.

    The singularity drive works by dropping matter into it. That matter is obliterated by the singularity and energy is released. That energy is then captured and used to power the D'deridex. What type of matter is never stated although hydrogen is the simplest. So there is in fact mixing in a singularity core. The point where dilithium might actually be used would be the intermix chamber where the energy feeds into. Dilithium is used in this chamber to regulate the energy in an AM/M ship but it could also be used here.

    A Romulan ship using dilithium is still speculation.
    A Romulan ship not using dilithium is also speculation. Your entire argument hinges on speculation that you've never bothered to prove.
    The Guardian of Forever had to switch planets because so many people were trying to use it to alter shit during the temporal wars. There is some sort of enforcement but it had to flee? And they even said in the show ALL the tech was destroyed. Ok..... Add another contradictory nonsense check mark in the Discovery writing.

    It's the only known class to use it but we also know the reason why they chose to use it and that they also have cloaking systems on other ships that weren't easily detected. If the cloaks the same and works just as well its logical to assume that the engines would be the same as well.

    I don't remember anything about an intermix chamber mentioned do you have a source on this or are you continuing to just make shit up as you go and hope I don't call you out on it? And given that in Starfleet ships antimatter and matter flow into the intermix chamber I would be surprised it they actually had one. Also when any matter works why the fuck would they use something like Dilithium? That would be like me burning gold and diamonds in a fire pit instead of wood and paper.

    Dilithium is one of the two main currencies in STO the other being energy credits. Romulans were introduced as playable in a much later expansion. You cant have humans in wow use gold then have orcs use pelts if there is cross faction trading plus it complicates game systems. And what resource would you give them?

    No your argument hinges on them using dilithium in their ships which there is no proof of. Mine hinges on the fact that Discovery said it was the antimattter-matter interactions being uncontrollable with the inert Dilithium that caused the active warpcores to explode. We know there is no Antimatter-matter interactions in a singularity core. You keep trying to handwaive and make shit up like "maybe they use the dilithium for x instead". Which doesn't even matter because Dilithium used in other situations and lost its charge has caused numerous problems for ships but not instant explode. So even if they used Dilithium for X in a singularity core it wouldn't matter as its the volatile reactions of antimatter and matter interacting at uncontrolable rates that caused the ships to explode. And we already know the d'deridex singularity core had a slower top warp speed without damage to it so its likely the reactions aren't as powerful. Still going 4-5 times faster than everyone is better than going as slow as everyone else. Especially when you use slow stealth tactics and can prepare hours/days before the enemy even gets where they were going.

    Do you write for the show? Cause you are defending it like you do. And if you do please for the love of god stop making it a Star Trek version of JJ Abrams Starwars memberberry soup where you "improve" on everything by amplifying its main traits until its just a dragon ball super level of powerup nonsense.

  17. #2117
    Discovery's writers never cease to amaze me with how little shits they give, how little care is taken on anything period and how hilariously inconsistent the rearranged universe is. I don't mind that they change stuff previously established, but at this point the water has been muddled so strongly that it really isn't worth calling it a Star Trek show. You might as well change the elements that are Star Trek (Ship-Design (which is already butchered), Names of groups and species and history) and the show would barely change. It might be more fun that way honestly...

    There is a garbage opinion going around, that its wrong to be mad at discovery for changing the lore and for not being constraint by pre-established stories and facts of the franchise, which is the reason i think less to nothing of the cinematic tastes of YouTubers like Renegade Cut, because if you don't care to respect the lore, the universe and established "Rules" at all... why the FUCK do you still make it a franchise series? Discovery might be considered entertaining as a random-sci-fi show but i guess then nobody would watch the great Michael-Burnham-Bonanza or at least fewer people would if it didn't have the branding.

    I find the series repulsive in every aspect that tries to tie itself to Star Trek without actually giving a hoot about it. The fact that the badge on that one dude in Season 3, that was wearing an early TNG-Uniform had to be fixed in post still baffles me and is one of the best examples on how they dont give a damn and instead just want to toot their own horns infront of a larger audience, while forcing their ideas into the canon. The wet dream of every sweaty fanfiction writer coming true...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    A Romulan ship using dilithium is still speculation.
    A Romulan ship not using dilithium is also speculation. Your entire argument hinges on speculation that you've never bothered to prove.
    ...and yet logic indicates... that the Romulans would not cease to use singularity cores and instead focus on gaining more of their energy out of that ...endless power source, unless they lost their collective minds when joining the Vulcans... which is not unlikely knowing Discovery - granted - but either way; Why would you switch from a power source that is so powerful to one that is far more limited as it has to be mined and also used by every single other power in the universe besides you?

    Its just not very feasable to assume that in my eyes. So you fighting back on the matter is equaly based on speculation and the more unlikely scenario. From all we know, the Romulans would be stupid to not focus on using nothing but the singularity core.
    If you are offended by something i said, im probably at least 45% sorry about it and there is a 3% Chance it was not on purpose!

    Victim to Blizzard-Marketing since 2004

  18. #2118
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    The Guardian of Forever had to switch planets because so many people were trying to use it to alter shit during the temporal wars. There is some sort of enforcement but it had to flee? And they even said in the show ALL the tech was destroyed. Ok..... Add another contradictory nonsense check mark in the Discovery

    Snip
    Incomplete information isn’t contradictory, it’s just incomplete.

    1. Romulans use Dilithium. Period. This is canon.
    2. I provided some speculation as to how. Some serious (regulates energy flow), some not (burn that shit) but acknowledged it’s speculation. You’ll find no end of discussion of this elsewhere (I’ve read a lot it over the past couple days).
    3. You provided your own speculation but still have not countered point 1. Trying doing it at least once.
    4. The Singularity Drive is still inferior to AM/M drive for a number of reasons not the least of which is that it’s dangerous to use even without dilithium.

    I do not write for DSC. I have no idea how dragon ball even applies here but I have objected to some writers attempts to dilute Trek into a Star Wars style action adventure numerous times in this thread. You’ll also welcome to search my post history for my feelings on JJ Abrams.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by SoundOfGuns View Post
    ...and yet logic indicates... that the Romulans would not cease to use singularity cores and instead focus on gaining more of their energy out of that ...endless power source, unless they lost their collective minds when joining the Vulcans... which is not unlikely knowing Discovery - granted - but either way; Why would you switch from a power source that is so powerful to one that is far more limited as it has to be mined and also used by every single other power in the universe besides you?
    It’s not a limitless power source. If that was the case the Federation would use them more (yes, the Federation does use singularity cores; edit: this appears to be a Beta reference). They’re very similar to AM/M drives. They both work by introducing matter to something that cause that matters disintegration and then releases energy. That energy is then captured and used for other purposes.
    Last edited by Ivanstone; 2021-01-14 at 09:21 PM.

  19. #2119
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Incomplete information isn’t contradictory, it’s just incomplete.

    1. Romulans use Dilithium. Period. This is canon.
    2. I provided some speculation as to how. Some serious (regulates energy flow), some not (burn that shit) but acknowledged it’s speculation. You’ll find no end of discussion of this elsewhere (I’ve read a lot it over the past couple days).
    3. You provided your own speculation but still have not countered point 1. Trying doing it at least once.
    4. The Singularity Drive is still inferior to AM/M drive for a number of reasons not the least of which is that it’s dangerous to use even without dilithium.

    I do not write for DSC. I have no idea how dragon ball even applies here but I have objected to some writers attempts to dilute Trek into a Star Wars style action adventure numerous times in this thread. You’ll also welcome to search my post history for my feelings on JJ Abrams.

    - - - Updated - - -



    It’s not a limitless power source. If that was the case the Federation would use them more (yes, the Federation does use singularity cores; edit: this appears to be a Beta reference). They’re very similar to AM/M drives. They both work by introducing matter to something that cause that matters disintegration and then releases energy. That energy is then captured and used for other purposes.
    1. Romulans mine Dilithium. This is canon. All your suggestions are speculation.
    3. I have no speculations I stated a fact that Discovery specifically stated the AM/M interactions being unable to be regulated were the problem and that Singularity cores do not have that reaction.
    4. Where is it stated that its too dangerous to use? And inferior in speed at the time. It was superior to use for numerus reason like stealth also. And when everyone else has to constantly worry about going slow or blowing up. It's speed is a thousand times better. A steam engine might not beat an high speed train but when everyone is using horses it would be fucking idiotic to park leave your steam engine just sitting on the tracks.

    You keep saying I'm relying on speculation when I'm just stating facts. You are the one that keeps making shit up then conveniently forgetting to respond to my rebuttal of your lies and fake facts about it in the next post.

  20. #2120
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Its exactly how it works. Being "Woke" isn't being radical. Its just opposing bigotry and nothing else. Your specific words.

    Furthermore, why is being a radical for positive idea the equivalent of being a radical for a negative idea?
    I'm sorry, the way some of these woke people are going on - they're being just as bigoted as those they profess to oppose. It's just like the ANTIFA people that are being as fascist and authoritarian as the ones they supposedly oppose.

    Just another radical group trying to force us to agree with their views.

    I say live and let live. Don't be jealous or hate Burnham just because she is a black female that actually looks good in her role. One way you can tell you are racist or prejudiced against the character because of the colour or gender (in this case black and female) is if you are just as pissed off of with similar over powered white males in other franchises written with the same level.. Do you like Kirk but hate Burnham? Do you like Luke but hate Rey -? they are written with the same level of power.

    You see I'm definitely different. I like Burnham, and while I'm not excited about Rey, I don't hate her character really, I love Luke though. I can assure you I'm not racist nor am I misogynist, but hey I am often labelled that when I don't agree with the woke crowd on some of their excessive craziness.. but whatever, when they start trying to kill me for it, let's see who will be left standing in the end.

    Forbidden topics are not to be discussed in this subforum. I warned the thread, do not continue discussing topics of race, gender, religion, etc. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2021-01-14 at 10:45 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •