1. #2121
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    1. Romulans mine Dilithium. This is canon. All your suggestions are speculation.
    3. I have no speculations I stated a fact that Discovery specifically stated the AM/M interactions being unable to be regulated were the problem and that Singularity cores do not have that reaction.
    4. Where is it stated that its too dangerous to use? And inferior in speed at the time. It was superior to use for numerus reason like stealth also. And when everyone else has to constantly worry about going slow or blowing up. It's speed is a thousand times better. A steam engine might not beat an high speed train but when everyone is using horses it would be fucking idiotic to park leave your steam engine just sitting on the tracks.

    You keep saying I'm relying on speculation when I'm just stating facts. You are the one that keeps making shit up then conveniently forgetting to respond to my rebuttal of your lies and fake facts about it in the next post.
    Why mine it then? Be very careful with your answer.
    And yet no one appears to be using Singularity power for any purpose.
    It’s dangerous to use because I’ve watched the show. Have you? Also I’ve read your posts.

  2. #2122
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Why mine it then? Be very careful with your answer.
    Political sway, trade, alternate uses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    And yet no one appears to be using Singularity power for any purpose.
    That we know of. For the federation it may also not be worthwhile converting all their technology to use artificial singularities while dilithium still exists, little as there may be. Additionally it may simply be that they don't have the technology or the expertise to utilize it proper.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    It’s dangerous to use because I’ve watched the show.
    There is a host of tech in the star trek universe that is dangerous to use if not handled proper, that's not a good argument.


    Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    One way you can tell you are racist or prejudiced against the character because of the colour or gender (in this case black and female) is if you are just as pissed off of with similar over powered white males in other franchises written with the same level.. Do you like Kirk but hate Burnham? Do you like Luke but hate Rey -? they are written with the same level of power.
    I've got a 10 foot pole if anyone wants to try touching this mess... and risk the mods

  3. #2123
    Quote Originally Posted by Ara Myrr View Post
    Political sway, trade, alternate uses.

    That we know of. For the federation it may also not be worthwhile converting all their technology to use artificial singularities while dilithium still exists, little as there may be. Additionally it may simply be that they don't have the technology or the expertise to utilize it proper.
    Speculation, speculation, speculation that may cause explosions.

    Video game properties have said that the Federation used Singularities as early as 2260.

  4. #2124
    Thought this was interesting enough to share, though it's about TOS. It does, however, point out some of the nonsense that has always been Trek:

    Shut your goddamn mouth, Gene!

  5. #2125
    I'm surprised there isn't more human evolution in the 32nd century - it's not like Star trek specifically needs it with all the different races they can use to provide literally any function or ability.

    However, it would be kinda cool to see humanity to have evolved something rather cool biologically in the future.

  6. #2126
    A thousand years is not enough for the evolution to produce that much change. Not with a species that requires at least 15 years per generation, especially at the tech level allowing to bypass many biological limitations (which would disable specimens from passing the genes over). At this stage evolution switches from genetical level to cultural / technology.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

    I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

  7. #2127
    Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    Do you like Luke but hate Rey -? they are written with the same level of power.
    OT: no, they are not! Luke undergoes training while Rey is so all powerfull she can do anything without any training at all.

  8. #2128
    Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    I'm surprised there isn't more human evolution in the 32nd century - it's not like Star trek specifically needs it with all the different races they can use to provide literally any function or ability.

    However, it would be kinda cool to see humanity to have evolved something rather cool biologically in the future.
    You sure you want to poke at the entire human evolition thing? Last time Star Trek did that it didn't go that well.

    On the other hand, STD is so inconsequential and poorly written that it wouldn't make a smidge of difference. Bring back the Salamanders.

  9. #2129
    I am Murloc! Mister K's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Under your desk
    Posts
    5,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Season 4 predictions:

    1. Most the filler will be "rebuild the Federation" stuff that probably feel very typical Trek. I look forward to it.
    2. Michael and Saru will have a big team up moment when she is in trouble. Might be awkward too.
    3. Book and Michael get closer and it probably makes Michael do something stupid.
    4. Some new seasonal villain arises. Probably isn't happy about the Federation coming back.
    5. The seasonal villain will be cool as shit but will be vanquished in some really odd / funny / confusing way at the end.
    Spot on pretty much, they love to undo all the good they've done with cheap writing.
    -K

  10. #2130
    I'm actually rather surprised s3 didn't touch on the klingons at all, given their prominance in both prior seasons.

    I sort of wish we'd gotten to see Saru's homeworld as well. They've cleared joined the federation, but I wanted to see more about how their two species get along now. The kelp monster almost looked like a hybrid of the two species, and I was somewhat expecting the angry galaxy destroying baby to actually be the 'kelp monster', with the holodeck just making him look kelpian. Would have fit with the 'random species change' of the holodeck.

  11. #2131
    Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    I'm actually rather surprised s3 didn't touch on the klingons at all, given their prominance in both prior seasons.

    I sort of wish we'd gotten to see Saru's homeworld as well. They've cleared joined the federation, but I wanted to see more about how their two species get along now. The kelp monster almost looked like a hybrid of the two species, and I was somewhat expecting the angry galaxy destroying baby to actually be the 'kelp monster', with the holodeck just making him look kelpian. Would have fit with the 'random species change' of the holodeck.
    Maybe the Klingons will play a role in season 4 as the main antagonists

  12. #2132
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Why mine it then? Be very careful with your answer.
    And yet no one appears to be using Singularity power for any purpose.
    It’s dangerous to use because I’ve watched the show. Have you? Also I’ve read your posts.
    There are many reasons why Dilitihum can be mined. And can be used for different things. Discovery specifically states that it going inert regulating the antimatter matter mixing caused the reactions to explode everything.

    "On Troyius, crude dilithium crystals were known as "radans", a common stone of little value. Its uses included jewelry."
    You claim to have watched the show and yet can't comprehend simple things like that a singularity core doesn't have an Antimatter/matter reaction and continually need to be told facts....... Ok

    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Dilithium
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki...atter_reaction
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki...um_singularity

    We have no idea why the Romulans actually mine Dilithium but we know for a fact that Singularity cores don't have matter antimatter reactions which Discovery states was the reason for all the warp core breaches.

    "An artificial quantum singularity (also known as a confined, or forced quantum singularity) was a method utilized by the Romulans for generating energy, instead of the more traditional matter-antimatter reaction used in Federation starships. In order to remain undetected while cloaked, nullifier cores were used to precisely balance the radiative emissions of the ship's engines."

  13. #2133
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    A thousand years is not enough for the evolution to produce that much change. Not with a species that requires at least 15 years per generation, especially at the tech level allowing to bypass many biological limitations (which would disable specimens from passing the genes over). At this stage evolution switches from genetical level to cultural / technology.
    Yeah but the star trek universe is very conservative about technologically enhancing our bodies or evolution.

    Geordi's visor is deemed medically necessary so he gets super vision, but they several times point out why they dont do things like that and why people like Noonian Soong are fugitives.
    Last edited by Josuke; 2021-01-16 at 03:30 AM.

  14. #2134
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    There are many reasons why Dilitihum can be mined. And can be used for different things.
    Sounds like speculation.

    Such as regulating the energy coming out of singularity core (canonically, a Romulan Warp Drive is otherwise very similar to a Federation Warp Drive). Or providing the energy for making a singularity core. Or used in non-capital ships (Singularity Drive only appeared in one class of cruiser which is larger than the ENT-D). None of this is actually my opinion. Its just shit I read, alot of which pre-dates DSC S3.

    There's one thing that does prove that Romulans at least use AM/M on smaller ships. In S3E10 of TNG (The Defector), a Romulan defects but destroys his Scout Ship. The Ship explodes on screen. A singularity equipped ship should not explode but implode. Furthermore, the appearance of an uncontained singularity within visual range of you ship would probably be bad.

    There's no reason to believe that progressively less militaristic Romulans would've continued to use Singularity drives in the intervening 600 years. Its still the slower drive which has other problems to boot.

  15. #2135
    The Insane Glorious Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In my bunker leading uprisings
    Posts
    17,658
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundOfGuns View Post
    Discovery's writers never cease to amaze me with how little shits they give, how little care is taken on anything period and how hilariously inconsistent the rearranged universe is. I don't mind that they change stuff previously established, but at this point the water has been muddled so strongly that it really isn't worth calling it a Star Trek show. You might as well change the elements that are Star Trek (Ship-Design (which is already butchered), Names of groups and species and history) and the show would barely change. It might be more fun that way honestly...

    There is a garbage opinion going around, that its wrong to be mad at discovery for changing the lore and for not being constraint by pre-established stories and facts of the franchise, which is the reason i think less to nothing of the cinematic tastes of YouTubers like Renegade Cut, because if you don't care to respect the lore, the universe and established "Rules" at all... why the FUCK do you still make it a franchise series? Discovery might be considered entertaining as a random-sci-fi show but i guess then nobody would watch the great Michael-Burnham-Bonanza or at least fewer people would if it didn't have the branding.

    I find the series repulsive in every aspect that tries to tie itself to Star Trek without actually giving a hoot about it. The fact that the badge on that one dude in Season 3, that was wearing an early TNG-Uniform had to be fixed in post still baffles me and is one of the best examples on how they dont give a damn and instead just want to toot their own horns infront of a larger audience, while forcing their ideas into the canon. The wet dream of every sweaty fanfiction writer coming true...



    ...and yet logic indicates... that the Romulans would not cease to use singularity cores and instead focus on gaining more of their energy out of that ...endless power source, unless they lost their collective minds when joining the Vulcans... which is not unlikely knowing Discovery - granted - but either way; Why would you switch from a power source that is so powerful to one that is far more limited as it has to be mined and also used by every single other power in the universe besides you?

    Its just not very feasable to assume that in my eyes. So you fighting back on the matter is equaly based on speculation and the more unlikely scenario. From all we know, the Romulans would be stupid to not focus on using nothing but the singularity core.
    Its really not Star Trek. Its action show in space. Like I thought the burn was a neat mystery and then you find out is caused by a kids temper tantrum...
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

  16. #2136
    Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    I'm surprised there isn't more human evolution in the 32nd century - it's not like Star trek specifically needs it with all the different races they can use to provide literally any function or ability.

    However, it would be kinda cool to see humanity to have evolved something rather cool biologically in the future.
    It takes a lot longer than 1k years for biological evolution. It's why it would only be technological unless they had more alien cross breading in the thousand years since.
    Last edited by Varitok; 2021-01-16 at 04:24 AM.

  17. #2137
    Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    I'm surprised there isn't more human evolution in the 32nd century - it's not like Star trek specifically needs it with all the different races they can use to provide literally any function or ability.

    However, it would be kinda cool to see humanity to have evolved something rather cool biologically in the future.
    Evolution works MUCH slower than that. 1,000 years isn't nearly enough for any substantial change, even 10,000 years would only show VERY minor changes. To fundamentally change human biology you'd need MILLIONS of years.

    Unless of course you interfere and accelerate things by artificial means, but that's been very very banned in the Federation for a long time; and a lot of other powers also seem to show great restraint in that respect.

  18. #2138
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Sounds like speculation.

    Such as regulating the energy coming out of singularity core (canonically, a Romulan Warp Drive is otherwise very similar to a Federation Warp Drive). Or providing the energy for making a singularity core. Or used in non-capital ships (Singularity Drive only appeared in one class of cruiser which is larger than the ENT-D). None of this is actually my opinion. Its just shit I read, alot of which pre-dates DSC S3.

    There's one thing that does prove that Romulans at least use AM/M on smaller ships. In S3E10 of TNG (The Defector), a Romulan defects but destroys his Scout Ship. The Ship explodes on screen. A singularity equipped ship should not explode but implode. Furthermore, the appearance of an uncontained singularity within visual range of you ship would probably be bad.

    There's no reason to believe that progressively less militaristic Romulans would've continued to use Singularity drives in the intervening 600 years. Its still the slower drive which has other problems to boot.
    Clearly you didn't read the links. There was a society that used Dilithium as jewelry and dilitihium was used in different ways through out the series ships.
    The only person speculating is you. It's clearly stated singularity cores don't have antimatter matter reactions. It's also clearly stated that the intermixing not being controlled is the reason why all the ships blew up.

    Also have you ever seen A D'deridex class destroyed? They don't implode. Stop making shit out to try and weasel out of being wrong.

    Its a slower drive than a snails pace? Come on dude stop being so dense and admit its shit writing. And again you continue to speculate and not use facts.

  19. #2139
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    No, they didn't. TOS was all Kirk, Spock and McCoy. TNG was almost all Picard and Data. DS9 probably had the most well-rounded out cast of characters of any Trek incarnation. Yeah, you saw Scotty and Sulu and Uhura, but no episode revolved around them. TNG solved that a bit with occasional episodes focusing on someone other than Picard or Data but most episodes revolved around those two.
    You're not wrong about the Original Series, but TNG had way too many stories focused on Wesley-saves-the-day (as well as other good side character plots) to call it the Picard and Data show.

  20. #2140
    It's not unreasonable for a ship with a singularity in its engine core to EXplode rather than implode.

    In fact, that's exactly how some types of nuclear weapons work: an implosion is created first, which compresses fissile material into criticality and then subsequently causes an explosion. It's also how a supernova happens: a star's core collapses, and the implosion causes the remaining matter to condense and undergo fusion, which then in turn releases vast amounts of energies in an explosion.

    The same thing could conceivably happen with a singularity drive. Because micro black holes (which is presumably what these singularities are) evaporate rather quickly via Hawking radiation once they can no longer sustain themselves through mass absorption (and let us forego for now how the singularity drive actually generates energy) there could very conceivably come a point where the mass of the ship is not enough to stop evaporation. Once containment fails, you'd effectively witness the same thing that happens in a supernova: the black hole would implode the mass of the ship, but evaporate so quickly the matter doesn't have time to pass the event horizon. The imploding matter is condensed so much and so rapidly it undergoes fusion, and explodes outward. That would also explain why exploding singularity drive vessels don't leave behind a singularity after they're destroyed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •