I'm pretty over Tilly to be honest. Thought she was a Cornball from the start but I hate her personality in the show right now. Just kill her off.
    "It's a big club. And you ain't in it. It is also the club they use to beat you with." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    IIRC, there were literally "eugenics wars" over augmenting humans through genetic engineering, right? Which is where Khan came from.
    Yep. And Khan was one of the nicer supermen. Superior ability breeds superior ambition.

Richard Bashir went to jail for modifying Julian and DS9 has had a few episodes regarding this.

My god, I wish they had jettisoned Burnham in episode 1. This character is ruining the series.

Its kinda weird how rare genetic engineering is among other species, same with AI's.

What if a species who genetically modified itself wanted to join the federation. Would they not be allowed?
    Last edited by Myradin; 2021-01-19 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Yea I don't see Star Trek (or any other of the scifi franchises out there) doing much with human evolution itself.

Not because it would or would not be scientifically accurate, but more because /humans. If you go 'evolving' Humans into something not-as-human, the the creator/writers risk alienating 'normal' humans more and more from the show. ANY Show (not just Star Trek). You want your tv viewer to identify with characters on the screen, have empathy, etc. and you lose parts of that the more 'not human' you make your characters.

In addition to whatever extra expenses from having more 'alien' parts on your human actors.

But ultimately - its why none of the tv/movies about "Future" Humans really evolve humans all that much, if at any. Go changing too much and you create a smaller and smaller audience that can identify, and therefore enjoy, your show. That's not what tv/movie production is about. Not saying I agree with some of this 'fear' of losing the audience, but it is the reality they operate in.
    I am thinking its because the superhero genre has over saturated that avenue, that touching it might turn it into a super hero thing rather than a sci-fi thing.

Jedi get away with it, because it's not evolution based, but spiritual based.

Ugh, these people are saying their final heartfelt goodbyes every other episode.

I just want people to die and get on with it already.
    "It's a big club. And you ain't in it. It is also the club they use to beat you with." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    heh, I might partially agree to that. But then, on the other hand, almost in every episode Burnham had a few minute philosophical monologue, or a cliche emotional conversation, that I usually skipped because they were so boring, shallow and cringeworthy. Feel like they could have put something better in place of those.
    yep. i agree. its like go go go rush rush rush, stop - wait - quickly run down your superficial pseudo quick dramatic character moment - aaaaand go on go go go rush rush rush

yep, totally agree here. even when rushed, you wanna skip that simplified „now that character can shine and play down that emotional thing“ ... for 1 min ... because it just not feels really embedded and is mostly stupid and superficial or totally a stupid chliche thing everybody expected. WHEN they go rushing, just keep that stuff out of the show. or take your time and do it right the whole episode. but this combination is the worst of both worlds.

it is, as mr. myagi said: left side of street, fine. right side of street, fine. middle of the street: squished like grape!

https://youtu.be/Y3lQSxNdr3c
    Last edited by Niwes; 2021-01-20 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Ugh, these people are saying their final heartfelt goodbyes every other episode.

Even redshirts deserve love and respect.

Yeah. I sort of got it with Georgio cause she was literally like sick, even though most the crew had no reason to like her.

But then when they get to the dilithium planet its just nuts. Imagine ToS where every time Kirk and company went to beam down to a planet everyone cried and hugged and gave them their heartfelt goodbies.

Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    Its kinda weird how rare genetic engineering is among other species, same with AI's.

What if a species who genetically modified itself wanted to join the federation. Would they not be allowed?
    I imagine it would depend on how extreme the modification is and if it's done voluntary rather than forced by the race's governing body. Or, as is the case with the Barzan/Benzites, needed to breath a different atmosphere without tech aids.

And AI's are definitely a thing, but think the Enterprise computer rather than Data.
    Most are purpose built and work in a constrained environment to minimize the risk/damage of it going rogue.

Mechagnome

hahah - watching the wrong show =D

Waaayyy to many characters on the show have plot-armor. That regardless of how stupid or deadly the situation is, they end up surviving - somehow.

I think they actually get WORSE with this in Season 3. Last "character I recognized" that died was somewhere in Season 2. But Season 3 plot-finales setup multiple extremely deadly situations, that end up not having any consequences for anyone.

Now I'm not blaming the show for that. Trek and "red shirts" is a meme for a reason. And I don't really normally mind plot armor. But still - at times the plot seems to go out of its way to setup a beyond-survivable situation (vs. just a very dangerous one) only to have everyone be just fine at the end.

But get use to the "We may never see each other again - all the emotions" - "Nah we all good!" Just accept it. Its easier that way.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

hahah - watching the wrong show =D

Waaayyy to many characters on the show have plot-armor. That regardless of how stupid or deadly the situation is, they end up surviving - somehow.

I think they actually get WORSE with this in Season 3. Last "character I recognized" that died was somewhere in Season 2. But Season 3 plot-finales setup multiple extremely deadly situations, that end up not having any consequences for anyone.

Now I'm not blaming the show for that. Trek and "red shirts" is a meme for a reason. And I don't really normally mind plot armor. But still - at times the plot seems to go out of its way to setup a beyond-survivable situation (vs. just a very dangerous one) only to have everyone be just fine at the end.

But get use to the "We may never see each other again - all the emotions" - "Nah we all good!" Just accept it. Its easier that way.
    Indeed. Just imagine if someone Stamitz cared about actually died after Burnham tossed him off the ship. They seem to want a lot of character drama, why not make choices actually do something? Why waste 20+ minutes of an episode on goodbyes and tears if everyone just comes back safe the next ep?

Instead he's either going to forget about it in season 4, or be overly grumpy about it despite everyone surviving in the end.

Honestly Stamitz's role in the show is kinda declining, given how they have a 2nd 'spore pilot' as well as another expert on the spore drive. Tilly also has mentioned using dark matter somehow to skip needing a pilot twice now and the show hasn't gone anywhere with that.
    Last edited by Myradin; 2021-01-20 at 09:29 PM.

DS9 take it up, Bashir was genetic modified to be a "super-human" he was not guilty to it, and is part of the frederation. But his parents was punished for the crime of modify there child. So if a species who genetically modified itself, need to give up ther habit to be able to join.

Not frederation do allow genetically modifications to cure serious genetic diseases.

Wow, you just described TV! And somehow you thought it only applied to one TV show rather than all of them.

You know when a main character dies in a TV show? When the actor is ready to move on or the writers can't think of anything interesting for them.
    Shut your goddamn mouth, Gene!

AI is what ST:P is about, pretty much. And there's strong AI elements in earlier shows as well such as Data and The Doctor.

Genetic engineering is one of those things that the ST universe has a bit of a blind spot for. Most of it got handwaved away with the Eugenics Wars (and subsequent related storylines like the Klingon augments) but in realistic terms advanced civilizations would probably do a LOT with this.

"Light" forms of genetic engineering do happen, even in the Federation - some of the medical technobabble for example hints at that. But profound, species-altering GE is not really done by many species. Exceptions include the Suliban from ENT (who got it from the future), and the Dominion (who don't seem to do it much beyond the Vorta/Jem'Hadar and punishments like the Quickening).

There isn't really a very satisfactory explanation. I suspect it's just one of those things ST doesn't deal with, or at least didn't in its original/early/intermediate conceptions and so it's hard to integrate now. Lots of possible explanations of course, but they usually feel very contrived - universally outlawed due to its dangers (Eugenics Wars, basically), unstable/unreliable, philosophical/ethical objections, etc. None of those really seem that convincing.

For the love of God would someone order Burmham to non optional counseling?!
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doNt kNoW wHat PlAyeRs wAnT FoR CHarACteR CrEaTioN MOdelS

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    AI is what ST:P is about, pretty much. And there's strong AI elements in earlier shows as well such as Data and The Doctor.

Genetic engineering is one of those things that the ST universe has a bit of a blind spot for. Most of it got handwaved away with the Eugenics Wars (and subsequent related storylines like the Klingon augments) but in realistic terms advanced civilizations would probably do a LOT with this.

"Light" forms of genetic engineering do happen, even in the Federation - some of the medical technobabble for example hints at that. But profound, species-altering GE is not really done by many species. Exceptions include the Suliban from ENT (who got it from the future), and the Dominion (who don't seem to do it much beyond the Vorta/Jem'Hadar and punishments like the Quickening).

There isn't really a very satisfactory explanation. I suspect it's just one of those things ST doesn't deal with, or at least didn't in its original/early/intermediate conceptions and so it's hard to integrate now. Lots of possible explanations of course, but they usually feel very contrived - universally outlawed due to its dangers (Eugenics Wars, basically), unstable/unreliable, philosophical/ethical objections, etc. None of those really seem that convincing.
    In terms of AI's I mean outside of human/federation made synths. Data and the Doctor are both human creations.

ST:P has a line from the romulans about "have you ever wondered why romulans don't have AI's?" or something to the sort, and my reaction was pretty much "Same reason 95% of the galaxy doesn't seem to use AIs?"

About 4 episodes into Disco S3, I love the premise!

Yeh. So did I.

It was fantastical and almost romantic, like a true adventure on a far distant world and place.

And the effects were really high quality. Loved the Booker / Burnham dynamic. It just had me going wow.

My favorite episode of season 3 was the one set on Trill where they go into Adira's memories.
    Shut your goddamn mouth, Gene!