Page 3 of 115 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    As a long time Trek fan, that video was disgusting. It looks like its being done by people who only watched the Abram's movies.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    Agreed. I'm excited for a new Star Trek, period. How it will be, we have way too little info to go on.

Sure, I'd have liked to seen a new series taking place in a post Dominion War universe, later than 2380, instead of the rebooted series at all, but I'll take what I can get. If it's a success, hopefully we get more, a la the TNG, DS9, Voyager overlap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor With a Saber View Post
    I wish it was in the real star trek universe ive hated all the jverse movies they just dont shine at all compared to the real star trek universe.
    Even though the game isn't as polished as WoW the stories in Star Trek Online take place after Voyager and Nemesis. You get the feeling that the game is run by people who are trying to preserve that universe. If you sit back and play the game, read the stories and allow your yourself to take it in, it's a great game. If you don't read quest and just go to objective markers then it's a poor imitation of WoW.

Just spreading the word.
    Last edited by Lodreh; 2017-05-18 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Typo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    What about the USS Kelvin? It's the exact first moment when the timelines diverged.
    Not based on the visuals, tech, uniforms and the fact that Kirk was born in Iowa in the Prime Universe.

Deleted
    for everyone not a murican: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8mesUEFjas

Seeing how many people judging the show by the trailer you see what the problem with milenials is....

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Not based on the visuals, tech, uniforms and the fact that Kirk was born in Iowa in the Prime Universe.
    Well, I agree on the last part, but even there are theories like his mother going into preliminary contractions because of the shock.
    The visuals, tech and uniforms always have been differently (just scroll up to the Klingon issue). And while I agree that the uniforms don't look at all like TOS, they do indeed look like a progressive variant of the Enterprise ones.
    Last edited by Puri; 2017-05-18 at 01:19 PM.

Could easily be amazing or terrible. But I was not a huge fan of the trailer, you would think it all happens at the edge of an asteroid field. I like to see all the different worlds/places in star trek. Remember it could have been the best trailer ever but then it can turn out to be terrible.
    Signature deleted due to it violating the rules. Please read the signature rules for more info.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kirk also had an older brother named "Sam" who was found dead in the TOS episode "Operation: Annihilate!" This brother was found nowhere in the 2009 film. (There was a boy named "Johnny" whom Kirk waved to from the car he stole, but that character wasn't established as his brother in the final cut of the film. In a deleted scene, they were brothers, but the simple fact that he wasn't "Sam" demonstrates that the timeline would still have been diverged before Nero's arrival.)

The Kelvin's smart window and display system, along with their very different weapons systems, all point to a timeline that actually diverged sometime after ST: ENT but well before the events depicted in the 2009 film.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Kirk also had an older brother named "Sam" who was found dead in the TOS episode "Operation: Annihilate!" This brother was found nowhere in the 2009 film. (There was a boy named "Johnny" whom Kirk waved to from the car he stole, but that character wasn't established as his brother in the final cut of the film. In a deleted scene, they were brothers, but the simple fact that he wasn't "Sam" demonstrates that the timeline would still have been diverged before Nero's arrival.)
    If it was anywhere stated it was his older brother you might have a point, but it isn't.

And again, the displayed technology also is moot. The cockpit of the Enterpise NX-01 looks much more modern than that of the Enterprise in TOS. That's just the tribute you have to pay when making prequals.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    Even though the game isn't as polished as WoW the stories in Star Trek Online take place after Voyager and Nemesis. You get the feeling that the game is run by people would are trying to preserve that universe. If you sit back and play the game, read the stories and allow your yourself to take it in, it's a great game. If you don't read quest and just go to objective markers then it's a poor imitation of WoW.

Just spreading the word.
    Guess it's worth checking out. Thanks.

Deleted
    Ok, let's gather the misconceptions people seem to be having about this trailer, if it fits into the established canon or not, the look of it and so forth.

"This looks like JJ Trek, it must be set in the Kelvin timeline"
    Nope. From the very beginning, when Bryan Fuller was announced as showrunner, and as late as yesterday, CBS has been adamant that Discovery is set in the Prime timeline.
    While the look of the show without a doubt is more modern, one simply cannot expect the show to look like this:

That is a screen shot from "The Cage" the original pilot for the original Star Trek series, canonically set ten years before Kirk took command of the Enterprise, so in the same time frame as Discovery. No one, but the most die-hard fundamentalist Trek fans would accept a show looking like that. Heck, the way our own technology has evolved in the last 50 years, no one would imagine a starship in the distant future to look exactly like that.
    Instead, we see a current vision of the Trek Future 23rd century. All the characters and places are still the same, but we can now show more of it.
    TOS was a visionary show, but obviously limited by budget and 1960's technology. DSC likewise is limited by 2010's tech and budget. Who knows how we'd imagine a Star Trek show to look like another 50 years from now.

"The Klingons look all wrong".
    Correct, to a degree. In TOS, the Klingons looked like this:

Then in the movies and TNG they looked like this:

(same character and actor by the way).
    In the DS9 episode Trials and Tribbleations, the characters notice the difference when they are transported to the past. Asking Worf about it, he just waves it off "we don't discuss it with outsiders".
    This created a conundrum for the writers, as we now have in-universe proof that Klingons in the TOS time actually looked different and it wasn't just an update to the make up. Enterprise then picked up the thread in season 4, after having the "modern" Klingon makeup from the very first episode:

In the season 4 episodes "Divergence" and "Affliction", Klingons are trying to meddle with the DNA of the "super"human "augments" (Khan and those people). However this causes a virus deadly to Klingons to spread like wildfire, the cure/vaccine has the a side effect:
    -> .
    The semi-official canon explanation how Klingons "went back" to the old look is explained in a quest line in Star Trek Online (which has been pretty much the post-Nemesis canon), involving Miral Paris (B'ellana and Tom's daughter), and time travel with the Guardian of Forever where her blood is used to cure the side-effects of the augment virus vaccine).
    However, the Klingons we see in the trailers very likely are the crew of a "Sarcophagus Ship", revealed earlier this year in production drawings. Likely some sort of generational ship, which has had no contact with the Klingon homeworld for centuries. That is why they don't look like humans at all, and look even crazier than the "modern" Klingon make-up used since The Motion Picture.
    No canon lore is being violated at all.

"If they wanted a more modern look, why not set it 100 years after Nemesis?"
    Because they wanted the characters to be somewhat relate-able to us. Extrapolating from the TNG era, if you want to be able to have some drama you would either have to nuke the Federation as a whole, or pull the ship and crew away from their comfort zone and face them off against an enormous external threat. It is easy to have the moral high ground when your civilization is pretty much perfect and practically all-powerful. But faced with adversity or even death, that shows your true character.
    By limiting the technological level of the main cast to what we have seen on TOS, the writers avoid "power creep". Not being able to just pull any tech out of their sleeves whenever they need it means a more grounded show where the characters actually have to be smart to get out of trouble. It is the smarter choice and if they can stay true to this, we can get a much more internally consistent universe.
    Last edited by mmoc22ed96abf2; 2017-05-18 at 02:47 PM.

looks like crap.

welp thankfully netflix has TNG in HD now

I laughed for 20 minutes at the "Klingons". What inspired the look of these Klingons? Was it a piece of shit floating in the toilet?

This will end up costing to much to make and be cancelled. They had enough effect and cgi that this could had been confused for a movie trailer and not a TV series. That always tend to be the issue with show like that, budgets tend to go overboard and not enough viewers.

many people are already pissed that here in the states we have to pay for the CBS all access crap or W/e it is to watch it while the rest of the world will get to watch it for free on Netflix ( Thats right, Netflix got the deal for outside the USA). Thank goodness i have a VPN.

I will not even get into the fact that its from the JJverse. Not what many trek fans wanted and without the core trek fans this series is as good as doomed. Ill give it 2 seasons, They will call the first season a fluke because its new and run at least a 2nd before deciding to cancel. If it only lasts one did its done worse than even I imagined.

Deleted
    The show is NOT set in the JJ Verse. It just has a modern look for the Prime Timeline.

And Netflix paid CBS enough for the rights to finance the show completely. Any subs for All Access CBS is getting from DSC is gravy. I understand it is annoying for the fans in the US to be "used" like this when everyone outside the US and Canada got a much better deal, but unless the show actually bombs critically (and not just because fans complain it doesn't look like "The Cage") it should run for as many seasons as the creators feel like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good

-The aliens needed a facelift. Klingons and a number of all other races got one for TNG. This isn't any different
    -The style seems to be more action oriented versus the boring political nonsense. I know trekkies like that but times are changing. Audiences do not have the attention span to watch a episode dedicated too a androids art style.

Bad

-CBS all access = I will be pirating it
    -Acting in the trailer seems awful. That isn't a good sign

7+ Year Old Account
    cbs all access = not watching it

CBS seems to be intentionally shooting themselves in the foot on this one. Oh well.
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    for everyone not a murican: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8mesUEFjas

Seeing how many people judging the show by the trailer you see what the problem with milenials is....
    Rofl, good grief what a stretch.

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys are getting all your "Timelines" messed up. It isn't that complicated.

1st - Prime-verse - Everything on TV minus Enterprise. Some include Enterprise on this list, but in fact - as explained by Daniels a million times - most of their events were never recorded.
    2nd - Archer-verse - Time lines change from the cold war and Xindi, therefore technology was advanced faster than that in Prime. Now you have better ships and tech than you did in ToS.
    3rd - Kelvin-verse - taking place within Archer verse and splits off with the arrival of Nero.

Discovery seems to take place in the Archer-verse.

Don't try and out nerd me.
    Last edited by zEmini; 2017-05-18 at 06:11 PM.

Why does noone have the balls to do something after Voyager? Better milk the old shit.

The trailer looked god awful. I can't name a single thing that got me interested.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Seeing how many people judging the show by the trailer
    You seem to be confused as to what a trailer is for.