Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    You use the word logic like you scienced the shit out of this.. when.. you have no idea what I have or have not watched. Which mathematically makes you a moron throwing that out there with 0.0% information aside from assumption which ironically all seems to go with flow of your argument of the show sucking because you and some people on the internet all agree to it. Deal with it, this is an opinion of mine and yours really doesn't impact it. But for some reason you seem really worried about stomping mine down? The haters are really swarming over this. It is pretty obvious they are worried about something. So I say and double down on it must be a pretty good show.
    that's one odd aggresive tone you have there nowhere in my post did i tell anyone not to watch it, hell i actually encouraged folks to watch this spit in the face on all that gene roddenberry imagined. "Truly bad shit just goes unnoticed and dies without a whimper." wrong buddy. check flash, arrow,supergirl, legends of tomorrow, jessica jones etc. they are trash and they keep going. people have the right to not like a show even if yggdrasil from mmo-c doesnt like it. such a shame right?
    There is a void in my heart. Have you come to fill it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    Wow. Set phasers to "suck."

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, I'll give this trailer props for one thing: There isn't any war going on. Star Trek usually doesn't take place during a war. (The notable exception was the excellent Star Trek: Deep Space Nine... you know... the first Star Trek show that had a black lead and same-sex kiss?)

One thing that stands out to me about this trailer is that they apparently want us to think this show will be a delightful romp... like, oh I dunno, THE ORVILLE. Too little, too late CBS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Melius View Post
    that's one odd aggresive tone you have there nowhere in my post did i tell anyone not to watch it, hell i actually encouraged folks to watch this spit in the face on all that gene roddenberry imagined. "Truly bad shit just goes unnoticed and dies without a whimper." wrong buddy. check flash, arrow,supergirl, legends of tomorrow, jessica jones etc. they are trash and they keep going. people have the right to not like a show even if yggdrasil from mmo-c doesnt like it. such a shame right?
    Stop talking shit

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Stop talking shit
    now there's no need to get triggered over such trivial matters and be rude about it. i wasnt aggresive or nasty to anyone in what i've posted or are you not capable of restraining yourself when someone sais that one of the shows you like is plain bad?

An oddly passive aggressive tone you got there! No where in my post did I say people can choose to not like it. I said I choose to like it and the fact haters are swarming around it tells me it must have some appeal. You can be mad about it if you want and try to play the "im not mad you mad" game but its ok. I am used to deal with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    now there's no need to get triggered over such trivial matters and be rude about it. i wasnt aggresive or nasty to anyone in what i've posted or are you not capable of restraining yourself when someone sais that one of the shows you like is plain bad?
    Lol, I said stop talking shit, why would I need to restrain myself, it's a common response to someone talking shit. Your passive aggression is noted though.

Lol, I said stop talking shit, why would I need to restrain myself, it's a common response to someone talking shit. Your passive aggression is noted though.
    guess its just a simple case of rude people just being rude. and if im not mistaken you cant really silence opinions you dont like. now instead of harrasing and trying to shut me up why dont you just leave me alone?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Thoughts:

1> Pike is a great choice for a new captain, honestly. Good tie in with a minor but known character, largely untread territory.

2> The combination of classic rock and Spock makes me wonder if they're going to actually tie over into the new films at all. Honestly, they should either have Zachary Quinto signed on as a fun reveal, or never give Spock any screen time at all, not even via comms. One or the other. Especially given that soundtrack, which just seems way too on the nose if they aren't planning that. Doesn't even have to be the same timeline; Spock exists in both universes, and would look the same. But having two concurrent Spocks would be weird.

3> I swear to god if they Battlestar Galactica this shit with angels, I'm throwing things. Spiritualism can work, as seen in DS9. But don't go the lazy route, which the "eyes open enough to see" and the image of the backlit humanoid with what look like wings make me hinky. Like, if that's what they're doing, it's significantly MORE cheesy than BSG's much-maligned finale.
    Spiritualism in star trek is icky unless its despeling the myth of a god like being as just a powerful alien. That's the only way to do it.

Even the Q got well explained with sudo science trek babble.

10+ Year Old Account
    guess its just a simple case of rude people just being rude. and if im not mistaken you cant really silence opinions you dont like. now instead of harrasing and trying to shut me up why dont you just leave me alone?
    Lol, there's an ignore function if you don't like me telling you your opinion is baseless shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol, there's an ignore function if you don't like me telling you your opinion is baseless shit.
    You realise you two are acting like children, right? It's not me, it's you. No, it's you, not me. My father is stronger than yours! My father is a policeman! Well, mine is a Marine sergeant! My grand-father was a general! You're father is English! Yes, but you're father is drunk! Maybe, but tomorrow, he wont be drunk anymore while your father will still be English! Etc...
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    You realise you two are acting like children, right? It's not me, it's you. No, it's you, not me. My father is stronger than yours! My father is a policeman! Well, mine is a Marine sergeant! My grand-father was a general! You're father is English! Yes, but you're father is drunk! Maybe, but tomorrow, he wont be drunk anymore while your father will still be English! Etc...
    Eh, I'm happy to say I'm the antagonist here, it's all me, I don't think I once said it's him. I thought his opinion was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Wow. Set phasers to "suck."

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, I'll give this trailer props for one thing: There isn't any war going on. Star Trek usually doesn't take place during a war. (The notable exception was the excellent Star Trek: Deep Space Nine... you know... the first Star Trek show that had a black lead and same-sex kiss?)

One thing that stands out to me about this trailer is that they apparently want us to think this show will be a delightful romp... like, oh I dunno, THE ORVILLE. Too little, too late CBS.
    star trek ENT xindi war, vulcan-andorian war

10+ Year Old Account
    star trek ENT xindi war, vulcan-andorian war
    The only show that depicted Starfleet at war was ST: DS9.
    Last edited by Hammerfest; 2018-07-22 at 08:05 PM.

Agreed the others mentioned by Rhlor only vaguely covered certain aspects of war but the only true depiction of war in Star Trek is still DS9.
    Only Babylon 5 detailed war in a sci-fi show based in space, BSG despite being in space was more about survival/extermination of humans as a species.
    Want to play SWTOR again and get 7 free days of subscription access + free ingame goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/d5LnJT

that the xindi destroyed Florida while fighting the enterprise was part of a war

10+ Year Old Account
    that the xindi destroyed Florida while fighting the enterprise was part of a war
    Earth never declared war against the Xindi on ST: ENT. The word "war" means something. Earth sent one ship to confront the Xindi in hopes of preventing war.

Stop trying to stir each other up and keep discussions on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Risale View Post
    Agreed the others mentioned by Rhlor only vaguely covered certain aspects of war but the only true depiction of war in Star Trek is still DS9.
    Only Babylon 5 detailed war in a sci-fi show based in space, BSG despite being in space was more about survival/extermination of humans as a species.
    Perhaps the espionage of the Vulcans, the border disputes and the battles are not part of what is a war?

Perhaps the espionage of the Vulcans, the border disputes and the battles are not part of what is a war?
    Not as was shown in DS9, the whole spying was a small part of it, on ENT there is an episode where Vulcans & Andorians are in a bombed out city? where Archer meets with both but that is about as close as you will get in the whole series to war.
    On DS9 you had many episodes that actually showed either battles in space and on the ground and the aftermath (see Nogs storyline after he lost his leg or Jadzia dying)

But as Faltemer says this is about Discovery if you want to discus further then DM me.
    If you do don't expect any answer till trmw, going to bed gotta get up in 5 hours and change.
    Want to play SWTOR again and get 7 free days of subscription access + free ingame goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/d5LnJT

10+ Year Old Account
    I only had a few issues with the show such as the insectoid cannibalistic Klingons and the lol spore drive. I just feel like it isn't part of the Prime-verse ... it really should focus more on the JJ or Archer-verse that I made up as my own head cannon.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You'll probably be disappointed, then. What you're describing is older-form TV; it almost isn't done any more. It relied on the fact that people were beholden to the TV schedule, and had active lives, so they made sure that, for the most part, you could skip a week's episode and not miss anything important. There were no DVRs, there was no online streaming, not everyone had VCRs or would make the effort to tape a TV show even if they did because tapes weren't cheap and wore out, etc.

Audiences have pretty overwhelmingly showed that they prefer long-form storytelling in the modern era. It isn't that Star Trek changed, it's that the entire framework of television viewership changed.
    That is because most people prefer Netflix and HBO. "Long Story arc" style tv shows are more friendly when they are set up on a streaming service. For regular TV, studios and story writers still utilize "bad guy of the week" story telling because it is more beneficial during its syndication cycle. Basically it makes the show more approachable for newer audience members when channel surfing. Most of DS9 and season 3 of ENT were kinda of hybrids. If networks like HBO and Netflix take over, we will definitely be getting longer story arcs told over the course of multiple seasons. To be honest, I think both Hollywood Movies AND network TV shows will be on a decline in favor of streaming services. This is a good thing.