Page 5 of 115 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Yeah, a friend of mine who is a Star Trek hippie (as opposed to myself, a Star Trek hawk), said "This looks like dog shit with lens flares."

- - - Updated - - -

Kahless the Unforgettable existed before the Klingons had spaceships and he looked nothing like these KINOs (Klingons In Name Only).
    Do you mean this Kahless:

Or this Kahless?

"Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    The doctor made voyager watchable for me. Best character on the show haha.
    That's because Robert Picardo is FUCKING AMAZING. And frankly, the hologram had more character development than arguably anyone else in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    A lot of people give Shatner a ton of shit for the way he talked but Avery Brooks had this annoying habit of not only doing the same thing but SHOUting wiTH odD inFLECtions as well when he tried to show emotion.

That said, it had some really shit characters and stories (Odo, Kira, Jake, Nog, Vic Fontaine, alternate reality) *snip*
    Frankly, the whole "Mirror Universe" thing is the most hilarious shit Star Trek has ever done. It doesn't matter if it's Mirror Universe DS9 where Kira likes leather a little too much, or if it's Mirror TOS where everyone has goatees, or Mirror Enterprise where all the girls wear "cutout" uniforms. It's all just dumb on it's face but holy shit it's also hilarious. Toshi, Empress of Earth, oh yeah! lawl
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post

Or this Kahless?

Both of them! Neither look like these KINOs. (Plus, wasn't that TOS Kahless just an image of him created by the Excalibans based off of Kirk and company's idea of what he would look like?)

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post

Or this Kahless?

The first one is a representational image formed from what the minds of the away team though he looked liked, the away team had always dealt with smooth headed Klingons so thus he is smooth headed in TOS.

The second is his clone made from ancient DNA showing what he, and what pre virus klingons, actually looked like.

I have a point precisely because it wasn't stated whether the waved-to boy wasn't identified as his brother Sam or even just his brother.
    No, it's pointless since relatives only matter when they are a part of the current story. They just appear out of thin air, as there are many examples especially in Star Trek. Just because he isn't mentioned yet does not mean he does not exist, and even that would require him to be the older brother since in the new timeline the mother obviously died before she could have conceived him.

Technology isn't moot and the BRIDGE of the NX-01 does in fact look less advanced than that of the NCC-1701 from TOS... as "Through A Mirror, Darkly" demonstrates.
    Well, that's something I clearly disagree. If you seriously think this bridge

looks more advanded than this bridge

there is not much to discuss left.

10+ Year Old Account
    An alien that exists for "sensing the coming of death"... Come the fuck on that's retarded.

Really disappointed by a lot of stuff in that trailer.

Deleted
    First impression: it looks sharp and crisp. Gotta love how good TV shows can look visually nowadays

My issue with the series in general is that I want to continue in the TNG, DS9 and Voyager universe.
    You know, with the same style ships, uniforms, stories etc.

Tired of these "let's go even further back before those years" settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post

The bridge in the second pick looks more utility imo. The first one a lot of the fluff has been removed edges are rounded. Advanced I guess depends on what you view as necessary
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it's pointless since relatives only matter when they are a part of the current story.
    That's a cop-out. "It's all fiction so some details don't matter."

What looks more advanced to you:

This...

or this?

You see, if you're just looking at the number of buttons and blinking lights, you're missing the big picture. The TOS bridge design has far fewer of these... just like the more advanced iPhone has one button on its face rather than the clunky old Blackberry 9870 with its myriad of buttons. The NX-01's bridge looks like it was built by Blackberry. The TOS Bridge, in terms of the overall design, is much simpler... the way an iPhone is simpler in design than said Blackberry... yet the iPhone can do much more than the Blackberry. This is one reason why the audience bought that the USS Defiant (from "In A Mirrory, Darkly") was more advanced than the NX-01 Enterprise/Avenger, beyond simple performance. Also, it's worth noting that the Andorian ships in ST: ENT, which were all more advanced than the NX-01, all had bridges that were much more reminiscent of the TOS bridge in terms of their simplicity...

Last edited by Hammerfest; 2017-05-19 at 02:11 PM.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aritra View Post
    "The Klingons look all wrong".
    Correct, to a degree. In TOS, the Klingons looked like this:

Then in the movies and TNG they looked like this:

(same character and actor by the way).
    Yeah but take was a makeup limitation not a design choice. The Klingons in the trailer (and the Abrams films) do "look all wrong".

Quote Originally Posted by Aritra View Post
    In the DS9 episode Trials and Tribbleations, the characters notice the difference when they are transported to the past. Asking Worf about it, he just waves it off "we don't discuss it with outsiders".
    One of the single dumbest things that ever happened in ST imo, fans were perfectly fine ignoring the difference because we knew it was a makeup limitation in TOS, however because they actually addressed it in DS9 that made it something "real". Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I'll watch the first episode, since that will be on network TV, but I refuse to pay for CBS All-Access.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    One of the single dumbest things that ever happened in ST imo, fans were perfectly fine ignoring the difference because we knew it was a makeup limitation in TOS, however because they actually addressed it in DS9 that made it something "real". Stupid, stupid, stupid.
    I actually thought that was brilliant. This was the first time they acknowledged it on-screen and actually seeded ideas that were later used on ST:ENT.

You see, if you're just looking at the number of buttons and blinking lights, you're missing the big picture. The TOS bridge design has far fewer of these... just like the more advanced iPhone has one button on its face rather than the clunky old Blackberry 9870 with its myriad of buttons. The NX-01's bridge looks like it was built by Blackberry. The TOS Bridge, in terms of the overall design, is much simpler... the way an iPhone is simpler in design than said Blackberry... yet the iPhone can do much more than the Blackberry. This is one reason why the audience bought that the USS Defiant (from "In A Mirrory, Darkly") was more advanced than the NX-01 Enterprise/Avenger, beyond simple performance. Also, it's worth noting that the Andorian ships in ST: ENT, which were all more advanced than the NX-01, all had bridges that were much more reminiscent of the TOS bridge in terms of their simplicity...
    ? You want to say in your analogy that the TOS bridge design looks more like the iphone, while the ENT design looks more like the Blackberry?
    No idea, it seems we may have a different kind of eye perception then, because alone the ridiculous colourful helm's desk in the TOS bridge has more of those "blackberry buttons" than the entirety of the ENT bridge.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I actually thought that was brilliant. This was the first time they acknowledged it on-screen and actually seeded ideas that were later used on ST:ENT.
    The problem though is that those ideas didn't work, as while they explain why klingons looked different in TOS/TAS, to how they do immediately before/after. They fail to explain why nobody post TAS ever comments on the Klingons mysterious [re]transformation, it also makes no sense with regards to Klingons who went into stasis in TOS appearing in TNG changed (because this was before the STE retcon).

It was a dumb idea that created more problems/questions than it solves lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    The whole "advanced/not advanced" interiors thing is so dumb, it's like the stupid complaints about the Klingons. It was a limitation of funding and technology at the time. Nothing more, nothing less. Attempting to nerdify it into something legitimate is just silly.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    ? You want to say in your analogy that the TOS bridge design looks more like the iphone, while the ENT design looks more like the Blackberry?
    No idea, it seems we may have a different kind of eye perception then, because alone the ridiculous colourful helm's desk in the TOS bridge has more of those "blackberry buttons" than the entirety of the ENT bridge.
    Look at the color scheme of the iPhone vs the Blackberry 9870. Sure, the Blackberry has a more "serious" or "mature" color scheme than the iPhone, but it's not more advanced.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    The problem though is that those ideas didn't work, as while they explain why klingons looked different in TOS/TAS, to how they do immediately before/after. They fail to explain why nobody post TAS ever comments on the Klingons mysterious [re]transformation, it also makes no sense with regards to Klingons who went into stasis in TOS appearing in TNG changed (because this was before the STE retcon).

It was a dumb idea that created more problems/questions than it solves lol.
    At the time of the DS9 episode, TAS was not considered canon. This came from Michael Okuda in his Enterprise D Technical Manual. Finally addressing the difference on-screen (live action) was a huge moment and what's great is that O'Brien's guess ("some kind of genetic engineering") and Bashir's guess ("a viral mutation") were both correct!

- - - Updated - - -

Something that I think is really dumb is that CBS/Paramount basically stated that nobody who worked on a previous Star Trek series could work on the Abrams films. (Denise Okuda said this in an interview on the TOS blu-rays.) It's obvious that they are continuing this trend. If they'd hired the likes of the Okudas, Doug Drexler, Rick Sternbach and others, the show would look right for a Prime Universe show.

10+ Year Old Account

That's just your own head canon. The finale of ENT firmly plants the show in the Prime Universe. In fact, ENT is the only part of Star Trek that exists in both timelines so far.
    There was a universe or time line that didn't have any time travel, cold war, xindi attack or Borg encounter by Archer. You can't explain a lot of the continuity errors brought in by Enterprise without the time travel card. That is why there is a timeline without all that shit, and one without.

Finale was shit; but it can be written off as a hologram, or it was the only episode that actually took place within the prime universe. I believe the writers really didn't think things through and did it only to for the fans which evidently backfired.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by God Emperor Trump View Post
    There was a universe or time line that didn't have any time travel, cold war, xindi attack or Borg encounter by Archer.
    And you know this based on what on-screen evidence prior to ST: ENT's debut?
    Last edited by Hammerfest; 2017-05-19 at 04:09 PM.

Look at the color scheme of the iPhone vs the Blackberry 9870. Sure, the Blackberry has a more "serious" or "mature" color scheme than the iPhone, but it's not more advanced..
    Ok, at this point I assume you are just trolling. I don't see what the color scheme of two smartphone has anything to do with if the series is set in the jjverse.
    The TOS bridge screams 60s. Which is hardly surprising considering when it was created. If you seriously claim Spock looking into some oscillator or Sulu wildly pressing colorful blinking buttons looks more advanced than the screens used for ENT I cannot take you serious anymore.
    The series reflect not only the times they play in, but also the times they are created in. And just because something looks different, it does not mean it is meant to be different in the story telling universe, and you can find many example of that when you compare TOS and TNG (or even just compare TOS and the movies).
    Last edited by Puri; 2017-05-19 at 04:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, at this point I assume you are just trolling.
    No, I'm just making valid points using real world examples of technology.

Doug Drexler (Star Trek visual effects designer) agrees with me...

Last edited by Hammerfest; 2017-05-19 at 04:48 PM.