Page 28 of 115 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Did you just assume their gender?
    What are you blathering about? Michael Burnham is one single woman.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    What are you blathering about? Michael Burnham is one single woman.
    I was being facetious guy, calm your britches.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodmos View Post
    Saru - The uplift series (David Brin) plays on that were species raise other species to sentience (not for food though). Not a TV/film series though.
    The Kelpiens were a little different than that. They seem to be sentient in spite of being food. In any event that seems different than anything else I can of in Trek.

Humans are Earth's apex predators partially because we taste really bad to most other animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    The Kelpiens were a little different than that. They seem to be sentient in spite of being food. In any event that seems different than anything else I can of in Trek.

Humans are Earth's apex predators partially because we taste really bad to most other animals.
    Not seen anything like it in ST. I know I've seen races that are very cowardly, but not sure of race. (There was TNG episode with Picard a Cadet a nausicaan and a very cowardly alien, though the aliens just let whoever take them over - expect it would have been different if they were being eaten.)

Love to know how they know we taste bad to most animals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well they are failing pretty bad if their goal was an idealized humanity to contrast the evil Trump supporting Klingons with...

The main protagonist:
    - Betrays (and attacks) her friend and Captain of seven years in an instant with seemingly no reservations; betrays everyone in her crew by trying to make them attack the Klingons against the wishes of the Captain.
    - Is blinded by racial hatred of the Klingons leading to the above.
    - Instantly disregards her own plan of capturing and disgracing the evil Trump supporting Klingon leader by deliberately killing him in cold blood (they emphasize her switching her gun from blue (stun) to red (kill)) and making him a martyr.
    - Also pretty ironic since she is a minority that they make her break the law and go to prison.

Or is their idealized human of the future a disloyal, schizophrenic, violent, racist, criminal?
    I was mostly talking about what has been the case with Trek series of the past.

Frankly, it sounds like you've got an angle here you're not letting on. Do you feel personally attacked by what the creators are saying?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I was mostly talking about what has been the case with Trek series of the past.

Frankly, it sounds like you've got an angle here you're not letting on. Do you feel personally attacked by what the creators are saying?
    Nope, just mocking the fact that the SJWs who wrote this trite did so intending to insult Trump and his supporters, but ironically made their own protagonist exhibit all the characteristics they seem to despise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, just mocking the fact that the SJWs who wrote this trite did so intending to insult Trump and his supporters, but ironically made their own protagonist exhibit all the characteristics they seem to despise.
    Sure, doesn't sound like you've got a bone to pick at allllll.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Good to see the first plus sized girl in Star Fleet. She is the first?

Thought it was a very good episode. I like the captain's interaction with the engineer.

Are we doing spoilers in this thread?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

It amazes me that you can't seem to comprehend that the Klingons aren't literally supposed to be Trump supporters, but merely a reflection of that sort of nationalism and xenophobia that existed long before the Cheeto in Chief came along. But of course, some dipshits so caught up in their persecution complex that they can't see beyond "muh SJWs." You really are pathetic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    It amazes me that you can't seem to comprehend that the Klingons aren't literally supposed to be Trump supporters, but merely a reflection of that sort of nationalism and xenophobia that existed long before the Cheeto in Chief came along. But of course, some dipshits so caught up in their persecution complex that they can't see beyond "muh SJWs." You really are pathetic.
    Where did I say Klingons were literally anything? The only time I mention Trump supporters is when I mock the sentiments made by the producers of the show.

Talk about persecution complex when you imagine things that aren't even there and get so offended by them you go off the hinges and start flaming people.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Episode 3 last night. Fairly good, it wasn't as horrid as the first two episodes. Still it's obvious that they want more space action -- this is for lack of a better term Dark Trek and not Star Trek. It's dark, gritty and action packed. If they keep this up I'm sure there will be a lot of people that will be ok with it, it's space action and phaser-laser-pewpew.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If the first 2 episodes had been made into "5min flashbacks throughout the first 5 episodes, when it makes sense" I would have been a lot happier.
    Nothing in the first 2 episodes made me want to watch the show anymore, gave a thumbs down and removed from my list after watching it on netflix.
    After seeing the third episode I took away the negative rating and re-added to my list due to it actually introducing things I want to see more of.

"Propulsion system" research and reasons for eventually scrapping if it since the later treks don't have that tech usable after all, they gotta go in the end, or go the black ops route. If it goes for the black ops team, need an explanation why they wouldn't just go and pick up Voyager when they got stranded.

Exobiology lab and the whatever the creature is and how it came to be on the sister ship.

The Captain and his story and reasons for doing whatever he has plans for aside from what he already explained to Burnham.
    And other things.

that said, it's too damn dark, even though at least the captain gave an "explanation" for the darker theme of the ship. Instead of it just being dark for the sake of being dark because the team decided the lightning theme of dark is the cool thing to do. Worst of it being the second episodes court martial and the room not having proper lights. Just can't see that happening in any version of Federation council.

Not a fan of the new visuals for warp speeds either, sure the previous Treks had me thinking "if only the stars went by a bit faster", now its just way too fast.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    There are plenty of male names used for females in real life, like: Alex, Max.
    Those are dual gender names originally used as shortened versions of male/female names. I.E Alexander/Alexandria, Maximilian/Maxine, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Good to see the first plus sized girl in Star Fleet. She is the first?
    Previously you almost never saw overweight humans in star trek as obesity has been practically eliminated due to calories being optional in replicated food just like alcohol content, and active lifestyles promoted (betterment of yourself/mankind, etc). Sitting in front of a TV eating ice cream simply isn't a thing in the star trek universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    Real Star Trek aired like 3 weeks ago. It was great. I love The Orville. Vote with your wallet/view. Give it to Orville instead since, despite being a parody, it actually feels fun and whimsical like Star Trek should.
    I completely agree.

I'm not saying Discovery is a bad show, I just have a hard time reconciling MY PERSONAL VISION of what Star Trek is meant to be with the Grimdark edgyness of what Discovery is so far.

If it wasn't a Star Trek show, but some other new IP, it would be a lot more enjoyable for me, as I wouldn't be constantly struggling to square the circle with what it is and try to make it fit my vision of the universe. I ended the first 3 episodes scratching my head. I really don't give a shit about the whole SJW debate around the fucking show (grow the fuck up), I just can't deal with the fact that it doesn't feel Star Trek at all. It's almost...Doom or Alien 2 or something, plus apparently everyone on that damn ship has a chip on his shoulder. I get it, there's a war on...but what the fuck?

I found the Orville deeply enjoyable, occasionally comical (I don't know whether the show decided if it is comedy or serious episodic drama yet) and quite uplifting. I ended each episode so far with a smile on my face and some sense of nostalgia for the TNG/VOY days.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2017-10-02 at 09:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like this darker spin on star trek, it is something else. Breaking from old mold.

And as others have said if you like simply nostalgia in a newer coat, there's always orville. That is if you can stomach the "comedy" used in there.

I kind of liked episode 3. While I agree this isn't very good Star Trek I do think its a pretty interesting sci-fi show. I don't plan on "trying to shit on a show" because it doesn't fit my brand recognition.

Id be fine if trek tried to break the mold / push the boundaries of what is defined as trek ONLY as long as it wasnt an excuse to be trendy. Going darker and edgier is the how to be trendy these days, so its obnoxious.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

3 episodes in and it is complete garbage. If you want a dark, edgy military Sci-Fi ... don't call it Star Trek. Create a new property.

The whole show is basically a steaming dump onto the entire franchise.

The show is missing something. The darker tone is ok, but it needs something to balance it out.

Almost all of the characters introduced after the pilot are cold and semi-emotionless, and this just makes them boring. Bernham seems to be the only real focus of the show, which makes the small cast feel even smaller. I'm honestly not sure whether I'm supposed to consider the captain, the security officer and the others as main characters or side characters. They are so immemorable that I don't even remember their names.

Right now, the best way I can describe the show is like space - cold and empty, with a few bright dots.

10+ Year Old Account
    The first episode did nothing for me, I figure I'm better off waiting until there are more episodes before revisiting. Well I would keep up and watch if it were on real tv, but the stupid streaming service discourages me from trying to stay current on a show that didn't produce a lot of initial interest.