Page 78 of 115 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Holy shit you must be fun at parties.
    The story about her WAS right until the very end when IT WAS CHANGED.
    You have to be in the story as it's going, not watch it completely and say "yeah I knew everything and the ending from the start of the episode".
    Man I'm fucking done.
    You know instead of assuming you knew what was going on maybe you could just watch it. Time travel stories means there will be curve balls.
    Even if it was Burnham it could've been:
    Old Lady Burnham (Took decades for her to learn how to be a proper Mary Sue)
    Made From Spores Burnham (It could happen)
    Mirror Burnham (I was honestly leaning in this direction)
    Mirror Georgiou (Would totally copy Burnham's brave waves)
    Hyper Malevolent AI From The Future Fucking With Our Shit (We only had Airiam's word it was Burnham and I wouldn't consider her to be reliable)
    Q (Because Q)
    Q (Because the show needs more Suzie Plakson)
    Jeffrey Combs Character To Be Named Later (WTF CBS?!?!? Hire him already)

Young NotReallyAMarySue Burnham is not any more plausible than any of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    [spoiler]
    So they fucked with that tech, so they can have a chat and get some real answers.
    The problem I have with this tech is that they are about what 200ish or so years behind the Red Angel tech, in all that time the Red Angel suit went through ZERO modifications?

This crew was able to crack the tech in under 2-4 hours(in show time, not ours). I get that it was created by Section 31 but come on......

And They REALLY should have left Burnham dead...... this is getting way out of control now.

Burnham-centric storyline is a bit annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    The problem I have with this tech is that they are about what 200ish or so years behind the Red Angel tech, in all that time the Red Angel suit went through ZERO modifications?

This crew was able to crack the tech in under 2-4 hours(in show time, not ours). I get that it was created by Section 31 but come on......
    They really aren't.

It's Section 31's suit. From this time period, roughly (a few years/decades earlier, actually). Burnham's parents were the minds behind the tech, working for Section 31. Burnham's mom apparently stole the suit when everything went tits up; we don't know that full story yet. That was one of the big reveals in the last episode.

They really aren't.

It's Section 31's suit. From this time period, roughly (a few years/decades earlier, actually). Burnham's parents were the minds behind the tech, working for Section 31. Burnham's mom apparently stole the suit when everything went tits up; we don't know that full story yet. That was one of the big reveals in the last episode.
    Yeah I get that part that Section 31 buit the suit, but Discovery had little of knowledge of the tech involved and it is higher than what they currently know. I guess between the scenes they could have given a full brief of all the tech, but to have ALL they need in one convient spot ready for one precise strike is a bit.....much.

I got everyting about the reveal and it was predictable, but not blatantly obvious which I liked. I will wait out the story to see how it goes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Oh yeah? Just because the story changed at the end of the latest episode?
    I watched it alright, just because the story was changed doesn't change the fact that the story WAS about her being the red angel, so my post was correct.
    This makes zero sense.

The only thing that bugs me with time travel stories such as this, is the entire thing is normally completely avoidable at the expense of drama. For example, Burnhams mum comes back to save her, ok that's fine, but there's no reason she had to actually let her die in screaming agony (although that was fun), she could have come back to any point and said, "dont do it, here I am".

Also, somewhat amusingly, as they were wrong about burnham being the red angel, it meant that their whole premise of "she has to be saved else future angel will not exist" was wrong. So really they were kinda lucky someone did turn up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wezmon View Post
    The only thing that bugs me with time travel stories such as this, is the entire thing is normally completely avoidable at the expense of drama. For example, Burnhams mum comes back to save her, ok that's fine, but there's no reason she had to actually let her die in screaming agony (although that was fun), she could have come back to any point and said, "dont do it, here I am".
    This is why Spock pulled a phaser on the medical team. If they saved Burnham, then Burnham wouldn't die, and Burnham would still be around in the future for whatever purpose the Red Angel needs her for. They HAD to let her really, actually die, beyond their capacity to save her, or the plan couldn't ever work.

Once there was a timeline established where Burnham died, the Red Angel had reason to pop back to the point of death to rewrite that moment, which is what we saw.

Also, somewhat amusingly, as they were wrong about burnham being the red angel, it meant that their whole premise of "she has to be saved else future angel will not exist" was wrong. So really they were kinda lucky someone did turn up.
    Yes. They tried to engage time-travel paradox as the engine driving things, and turned out to be completely wrong about everything. The Red Angel showed up for different reasons.

This also challenges the idea that Burnham is the most specialest person in the universe that people keep throwing around; she's not the Red Angel, she's not the one saving the universe, Spock is the one doing that more than she is, her only real purpose has been to get Spock back on track. The Red Angel is only protecting Burnham because it's her mom in that suit; it has nothing to do with the greater threat, really. One advantage of time travel is you've got time for everything; taking a few minutes to save a loved one doesn't take any time away from the greater plan.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why Spock pulled a phaser on the medical team. If they saved Burnham, then Burnham wouldn't die, and Burnham would still be around in the future for whatever purpose the Red Angel needs her for. They HAD to let her really, actually die, beyond their capacity to save her, or the plan couldn't ever work.

Once there was a timeline established where Burnham died, the Red Angel had reason to pop back to the point of death to rewrite that moment, which is what we saw.

Yes. They tried to engage time-travel paradox as the engine driving things, and turned out to be completely wrong about everything. The Red Angel showed up for different reasons.

This also challenges the idea that Burnham is the most specialest person in the universe that people keep throwing around; she's not the Red Angel, she's not the one saving the universe, Spock is the one doing that more than she is, her only real purpose has been to get Spock back on track. The Red Angel is only protecting Burnham because it's her mom in that suit; it has nothing to do with the greater threat, really. One advantage of time travel is you've got time for everything; taking a few minutes to save a loved one doesn't take any time away from the greater plan.
    Michael Burnham can still be the Red Angel. She could take the suit for herself. Nothing prevents Mommy Burnham to take the suit to keep Burnham safe (when she was lost on Vulcan, or on the asteroid in the first episode, etc.) and then Michael could take it to save the Kelpians on Kaminar or other stuff. The other advantage of time travel is that causality is in shambles. What the consequence can happen before the cause.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

I agree Burnham had to die at some point in the timeline (which is also why their initial plan of "we'll just pull her out if it gets too sketchy" was nonsense), but from the POV of the angel, she already died and as such the angel can go back to any point in the timeline to stop it happening. Like if I want to go back in time to stop Senna dieing in that crash, I go back to before the crash, not after and then revive him. But, of course, this is the problem with time travel storylines, things get a bit wonky.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wezmon View Post
    I agree Burnham had to die at some point in the timeline (which is also why their initial plan of "we'll just pull her out if it gets too sketchy" was nonsense), but from the POV of the angel, she already died and as such the angel can go back to any point in the timeline to stop it happening. Like if I want to go back in time to stop Senna dieing in that crash, I go back to before the crash, not after and then revive him. But, of course, this is the problem with time travel storylines, things get a bit wonky.
    It's also where we discuss "could" and "did".

The Red Angel could have shown up before they popped the vents on Burnham, but didn't. Why? Ask her.

But yes; time travel stories are generally wonky because we, the viewers, still experience linear time. If you want to melt your brain properly, go watch a film called Primer. It takes most people a few watchthroughs and some literal note-taking to start to make sense of the interwoven timelines.

I was RIGHT!!!!!!!!

This is the birth of the borg and this episode just PROVED it!!! and that is just the first 4 minutes. Nanites injected into the body, for complete control.

Leeland taking phaser shots and not stopping, he was able to control the transfer on the ground, to transport to the ship,

We have just seen the First Borg Drone.
    Last edited by WoWGoneBad; 2019-03-29 at 02:23 PM.

Can anyone fill me in how Burnham's mother came into possession of a time travelling EVA suit? She just casually puts it on. I really must have missed that, I even checked if I saw all episodes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Can anyone fill me in how Burnham's mother came into possession of a time travelling EVA suit? She just casually puts it on. I really must have missed that, I even checked if I saw all episodes.
    She literally invented it. That's been a major part of the last two episodes. She and Burnham's dad were scientists working on that project, for Section 31, in secret.

10+ Year Old Account
    Star Trek: Discovery focuses on character progression more than any other Star Trek series ever made. It worked well in the newer movies.

So far from the episodes, we have gotten to know nearly every core member of Discovery, the show has succeeded in that goal...

I enjoy season 2 allot more, compared to season 1. There really is an amazing quality to the show, I feel like watching a continuous high end movie.

I believe we are seeing the birth of The Borg.

At some point I feel like Burnham will fling Control into the past and at a far point away from the federation, that eventually the history of the Borg makes sense. She will need to effectually reboot Control to its basic functions, where past memory storage of events are erased from its system. Only then will the cold ego of the Borg truly form, left in isolation in the Delta Quadrant to evolve.

Unfortunately that action will lead to millions of sentients being assimilated into the Borg in the Delta quadrant.

In the latest episode the fact that Control assimilates the Section 31 leader with nanites of its making definetly points to the Borg, since they use similar methods when assimilating their subjects.
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    I was RIGHT!!!!!!!!

This is the birth of the borg and this episode just PROVED it!!! and that is just the first 4 minutes. Nanites injected into the body, for complete control.

Leeland taking phaser shots and not stopping, he was able to control the transfer on the ground, to transport to the ship,

We have just seen the First Borg Drone.
    Except that we know the Borg's history goes back thousands of years. That canon's established in both TNG and Voyager.

The only way Control becomes the Borg is if the final resolution here involves kicking them way, way back in time and space. Since we've got time travel in the mix, that's possible, but I'll suggest it's at least equally likely that Control has been infected by the already-extant Borg somehow, and has become a tool of theirs, making use of some of their technological ideas. That would make Control the Federation's first real encounter with the Borg, though they may not realize what the greater threat is for a couple centuries (the TNG era).

She literally invented it. That's been a major part of the last two episodes. She and Burnham's dad were scientists working on that project, for Section 31, in secret.
    Really? No idea how I could have missed that.

So if it was even man made, then why doesn't the Temporal Integrity Commission interfere and prevent all changes of the timeline, starting from saving Michael in the woods?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Really? No idea how I could have missed that.

So if it was even man made, then why doesn't the Temporal Integrity Commission interfere and prevent all changes of the timeline, starting from saving Michael in the woods?
    Double checked, the Temporal Cold War covers the 21st through 31st Centuries.

ST: Discovery is set in the 2250s, and they said she's being kicked 950 years into the future, which would be ~3200, at the cusp of the 33rd Century.

Her end-point is outside their scope, and her action may be a critical part of the timeline they deem as "normal". The future she was kicked into may be an aberrant one that she prevents. Given that it's a future where all sentient life is exterminated, I can see why they might let her prevent it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except that we know the Borg's history goes back thousands of years. That canon's established in both TNG and Voyager.

The only way Control becomes the Borg is if the final resolution here involves kicking them way, way back in time and space. Since we've got time travel in the mix, that's possible, but I'll suggest it's at least equally likely that Control has been infected by the already-extant Borg somehow, and has become a tool of theirs, making use of some of their technological ideas. That would make Control the Federation's first real encounter with the Borg, though they may not realize what the greater threat is for a couple centuries (the TNG era).
    lol I just mentioned that in my post above.

I believe that ...somehow, the only way to avoid Control being an inter dimensional time-traveling assimilating, apocalyptic omnipotent being, is to lock it down inside a time bubble, using the time crystal (super nova keeps popping up in script), and as far away from everything and everyone as possible (a Super Nova in Delta Quadrant used to make that time crystal for the prison)

In fact Control could be the inter dimensional leader of the Borg, directing its nanites from its prison cell and leading the Borg to assimilate the universe. The repeated attempts by the Borg to time travel would demonstrate Controls knowledge being used.

Edit: To make sense though, if Control still retained all the knowledge of the Sphere and remained imprisoned, the extent of communication with its nanites in the real world would be minimal, only capable of directing the Borg towards hints of goals. Control could be the de facto "God" of the Borg, always distant, ever present, its influence small, but over eons, it points the Borg in the right direction.

I blab....
    Last edited by Themerlin; 2019-03-29 at 03:39 PM.
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

I facepalmed at the end, why would they not nuke fucking "Leland's" ship, cutting off his only way out and destroying the stolen sphere data plus the Control's system corruption?
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2019-03-29 at 03:59 PM.