Page 90 of 115 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tmamass View Post
    there is NOTHING that feels like star trek about discovery.
    just one example how bad disco is: we are in season 3 and have captain nr 5 of the disco made captain by someone who betrayed star fleet .....
    they should finally rename it to "the bournham show"....
    Saru is the highest ranking officer aboard the Discovery. Starfleet protocol makes him Captain. He also has the consent of the rest of the crew which technically isn't necessary but the whole lost-in-time-and-space makes it more practical. Janeway had to negotiate with the Maquis to keep her Captaincy aboard Voyager when it was displaced into unknown territory. She didn't have to do it but it made things easier to replace the deceased FO Cavit with Chakotay instead of another Starfleet officer.

Science Officer Michael Burnham is the lead character of Discovery just as Captain James Kirk was the lead character of the Original Series. Why is this so difficult to grasp?

Again its now refreshing to see Discovery as a proper Star Trek series instead of a decent sci-fi action/adventure written by Star Wars fans. Disappointing that it took them till season 3 to figure this out but I'll take it anyways.

I kind of like the new season so far after being VERY on the fence and almost hating it in the first two. It finally moved to a place where all shows should go. Not to the past. I am pretty sick of the whole prequel thing with shows. Just move forward. It took this show two seasons and some really unbelievable plot to happen to get there but it is finally there. It no longer has to trip over its own feet with cannon and the cast seems to be finally acting a little bit like they are actually alive and not wooden puppets. I will say it still isn't going to rank up there with my favorite Star Trek shows so far but it has finally became its own thing instead of a "you know what happened.. like.. right before Kirk and stuff?!?!?!???" type of show.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tmamass View Post
    there is NOTHING that feels like star trek about discovery.
    just one example how bad disco is: we are in season 3 and have captain nr 5 of the disco made captain by someone who betrayed star fleet .....
    they should finally rename it to "the bournham show"....
    That's because there isn't...it's ran by a man who never liked Star Trek...he admits himself he never understood Star Trek as a child. Discovery is full of hate, death, racism and sexism...takes places in a total dystopia

It's literally the polar opposite of Star Trek and the fans love it like that. There was a throw away character they added to literally mock Gene Roddenberry...to say he is nothing more but a forgotten peon...just goes to prove the people who loved this shitshow are people who hate Star Trek so much

You notice the one NuTrek show Kurtzman doesn't actually write for (Lower Decks) feels more like Star Trek than any of the Drek he has ever done...and LD is more of a parody....that's right, the parody feels more like Trek than the actual live action authentic shows

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    Discovery is full of hate, death, racism and sexism...takes places in a total dystopia
    Well said. It's style is too nihilistic for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    That's because there isn't...it's ran by a man who never liked Star Trek...he admits himself he never understood Star Trek as a child. Discovery is full of hate, death, racism and sexism...takes places in a total dystopia.
    Explain. Because I see quite the opposite of hate, racism or sexism in that show. And there is no dystopia either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrog View Post
    Well said. It's style is too nihilistic for me.
    How is it nihilistic? The crew is facing problems, but there is always hope for a solution and progress. Especially in the present season.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    And there is no dystopia either.
    To be fair to the guy with an unhealthy fixation on the showrunners, it can be argued that the isolation of these planets/societies as a result of the Burn would constitute a dystopia. And things definitely aren't as sunshine and roses as the Federation/Starfleet-centric stories of the TNG era would have us believe they should be. But that would, again, be ignoring that it was pretty well-established that the utopia of the Federation was mostly just a facade with the Maquis stuff and then basically the entire 2nd half of DS9.

My biggest problem with the season so far is that they're doing exactly what I hoped they wouldn't do with the fresh start of such a huge time jump: making Michael the center of everything. In this most recent episode it was pretty blatant and completely unnecessary. They set Nhan up to be the exact person the guy on the seed ship would need to hear from. She'd been isolated from her species and their cultural norms for however long she'd been in Starfleet, so she could have talked to him as kin while also having the perspective to give him the kick in the ass he needed to begin letting go. But instead...they just had Michael do it again... /sigh
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2020-11-14 at 10:40 AM.

Well we're 5for5 on presenting actual Trek episodes. In the most recent episode we ScienceTheShitOutOfStuff. Also no fight scenes! How are they going to keep Star Wars fans tuning in?

If I had a quibble they seem to have settled into a Kirk-Spock dynamic for the show with Burnham as Kirk and Saru as Spock.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    To be fair to the guy with an unhealthy fixation on the showrunners, it can be argued that the isolation of these planets/societies as a result of the Burn would constitute a dystopia. And things definitely aren't as sunshine and roses as the Federation/Starfleet-centric stories of the TNG era would have us believe they should be. But that would, again, be ignoring that it was pretty well-established that the utopia of the Federation was mostly just a facade with the Maquis stuff and then basically the entire 2nd half of DS9.

My biggest problem with the season so far is that they're doing exactly what I hoped they wouldn't do with the fresh start of such a huge time jump: making Michael the center of everything. In this most recent episode it was pretty blatant and completely unnecessary. They set Nhan up to be the exact person the guy on the seed ship would need to hear from. She'd been isolated from her species and their cultural norms for however long she'd been in Starfleet, so she could have talked to him as kin while also having the perspective to give him the kick in the ass he needed to begin letting go. But instead...they just had Michael do it again... /sigh
    I see your point about the dystopia, but as far as dystopia go, it's not as dark and gloomy as many, many other dystopia. It's a period of crisis, sure, but when you look at Earth or Trill, they are not faring that bad. It's not 1984. Each episode ends with a ray of sun light, so to speak.

As for Burnham, I believe that she is far less the center of attention than she was in previous seasons. That being said, it was stated right from the first episode that she was the main character of the show. She's the Kirk of Discovery. But yeah, Nhan should have been able to handle that situation. Or Dr Culber.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Well we're 5for5 on presenting actual Trek episodes. In the most recent episode we ScienceTheShitOutOfStuff. Also no fight scenes! How are they going to keep Star Wars fans tuning in?

If I had a quibble they seem to have settled into a Kirk-Spock dynamic for the show with Burnham as Kirk and Saru as Spock.
    Each of them have a very different personality than Kirk and Spock though, so it is bound to be different. They are Captain and FO, so of course their relation should be good. Although the new, wilder personality of Burnham could put a strain in that relationship. Also they have known each other since the Shenzhou. In which their relation was more like Spock and McCoy... Speaking of which, Stamets and Reno form a pretty good love-hate duo. I love their banter.

10+ Year Old Account
    After 4 episodes its actually starting to feel like a real Star Trek show. Two episodes in a row where we get to see diplomacy!
    I have to agree, i like that we are now starting from a point of "discovery and diplomacy" again. Still a few cringe moments but that's sadly how things are going to be in today's climate till things are back to normal.

Also like the Trill part, seems they are injecting some older working formulas and them travel into the future means writers can dream up new tech again that seems way out of our modern day reach.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

I have to admit the latest episode felt more like star trek than the whole rest of the show combined, which can only be a positive.
    The show should never have been a prequel and even the 'fix' of jumping the show into the future simple means they've had to devote an inordinate amount of time to explain why over a hundred people would give up their entire lives for Michael fucking burnham.

That said wouldn't the Barzan chick be hearing Barzan all the time because that's how the translator works? IDK that was a super weird line, like wasn't there a plot point in a previous season about how many languages everyone speaks?
    Also, why would staying on the ship 'end her career'? Like I get the sad goodbye but someone had to pilot the ship back to Starfleet headquarters and discovery couldn't tow it because of the spore drive. I mean in the next scene The admiral recognizes she's on a federation ship doing federation work, seems like her career is fine.
    Why are the holograms seemingly less advanced than the EMH? Seems like the fight for hololife rights went down the shitter.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Each of them have a very different personality than Kirk and Spock though, so it is bound to be different. They are Captain and FO, so of course their relation should be good. Although the new, wilder personality of Burnham could put a strain in that relationship. Also they have known each other since the Shenzhou. In which their relation was more like Spock and McCoy.
    I'm simplifying but Burnham's a rule-bender (like Kirk) whereas Saru prefers a stricter interpretation of the rules (Spock didn't let emotion get in the way of duty). The key difference is the reversal of rank. Imagine what TOS would've been like if Kirk was First Officer and Spock was Captain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I actually recently thought of a bit of a wrinkle/plot-hole type issue with the third season of "Discovery" as concerns the event called the Burn, where dilithium was somehow neutralized leading to the loss of warp propulsion for the Federation (not to mention the loss of many ships when their warp cores went breach). The Romulan Star Empire, as of the 24th century in TNG, used artificial quantum singularities as an energy source for warp travel as opposed to matter/anti-matter intermix system that uses dilithium. This was known technology to the Federation as of the close of TNG/DS9, so why couldn't the Federation refit its remaining craft with singularity drives as opposed to dilithium-based propulsion?

Might be a technical reason of some kind behind it, but I couldn't seem to find one.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy Discovery. Then again, I can't watch any other Star Trek stuff (except the new movies) that isn't just memed on for being so horribly, horribly bad.. Mainly that being made before 2009. It's so bad. Horrible acting, effects (though that's bad aging really), and the episodes are sooooo... soooo boring. At least Discovery is interesting. There's a reason there's so many Star Trek memes after all.

Mind you I feel the same about the Star Wars movies, the old ones are garbage, the new ones are decent ish. At least somewhat entertaining, compared to episode 4-6 or whatever it is.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm simplifying but Burnham's a rule-bender (like Kirk) whereas Saru prefers a stricter interpretation of the rules (Spock didn't let emotion get in the way of duty). The key difference is the reversal of rank. Imagine what TOS would've been like if Kirk was First Officer and Spock was Captain.
    You do have a point here...

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I actually recently thought of a bit of a wrinkle/plot-hole type issue with the third season of "Discovery" as concerns the event called the Burn, where dilithium was somehow neutralized leading to the loss of warp propulsion for the Federation (not to mention the loss of many ships when their warp cores went breach). The Romulan Star Empire, as of the 24th century in TNG, used artificial quantum singularities as an energy source for warp travel as opposed to matter/anti-matter intermix system that uses dilithium. This was known technology to the Federation as of the close of TNG/DS9, so why couldn't the Federation refit its remaining craft with singularity drives as opposed to dilithium-based propulsion?

Might be a technical reason of some kind behind it, but I couldn't seem to find one.
    Romulans used dilithium but perhaps for different reasons than everyone else.

A popular theory is that the singularity drive is only used on larger military vessels. The primary reason that Romulans used a singularity drive is that it made cloaking more efficient. It may be less useful as a power source than M/AM but the Romulan military is less concerned with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    I enjoy Discovery. Then again, I can't watch any other Star Trek stuff (except the new movies) that isn't just memed on for being so horribly, horribly bad.. Mainly that being made before 2009. It's so bad. Horrible acting, effects (though that's bad aging really), and the episodes are sooooo... soooo boring. At least Discovery is interesting. There's a reason there's so many Star Trek memes after all.

Mind you I feel the same about the Star Wars movies, the old ones are garbage, the new ones are decent ish. At least somewhat entertaining, compared to episode 4-6 or whatever it is.
    Couldn't agree more

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Romulans used dilithium but perhaps for different reasons than everyone else.

A popular theory is that the singularity drive is only used on larger military vessels. The primary reason that Romulans used a singularity drive is that it made cloaking more efficient. It may be less useful as a power source than M/AM but the Romulan military is less concerned with that.
    I guess the key point is that it could fuel warp propulsion and wasn't itself dependent on dilithium, at least based on what I could find of the technology. Might have been less efficient or powerful, but it worked - so I'm not sure why post-Burn ships couldn't use it.

- - - Updated - - -

That was great, I also liked the Voyager-J easter egg.

Last edited by Aucald; 2020-11-15 at 02:24 AM.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    That said wouldn't the Barzan chick be hearing Barzan all the time because that's how the translator works?
    They've always handwaved away how the universal translator actually works. I assume that hearing a language spoken by a native speaker is different than hearing it through the translator, if for no other reason than actually seeing their mouths match up to their vocalizations. I also assume that most people in Starfleet are speaking the same language while on duty (except those whom they make a point of showing them speaking their own). Like, I'm pretty sure there have been a couple mentions of all-Vulcan Starfleet ships, and I seriously doubt they're speaking English to one another.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2020-11-15 at 02:32 AM.

The whole trill thing was the final slap in the face for fans of continuity like me and was when I finally decided to quit the show. Firstly, Riker was the first human host of a Trill symbiote, didn't have any mental issues with it, just physical. Secondly, DS9 established way more Trill can be hosts then they officially let on because the symbiotes are scarce and they don't want them to be a commodity. Fuck this show, really. I hate being punished for being a fan.