Just started this series up again- only got a few episodes into S1 before falling to the wayside.

This is the most insubordinate crew I ever seen in Trek. Get it together, damn!

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    You should, it’s pretty good. S3 is better than any season of Voyager or Enterprise.
    Couldn't disagree more, Discovery is the only Star Trek series I've watched where it's actually gotten worse each season.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Just started this series up again- only got a few episodes into S1 before falling to the wayside.

This is the most insubordinate crew I ever seen in Trek. Get it together, damn!
    Isn't it only Burnham that's insurbodinate? But for a very very good reason. I reckon she could have prevented that conflict because she understood the Klingons better than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    That's not helping your argument. And the Romulans don't care for jewelry.

No. You don't fucking read anything. I have. Try it, you might like it. Try this: https://www.reddit.com/r/DaystromInstitute/

Yes. I have seen it. Your precious STO showed them imploding. Do you not know what a singularity is?

Shit writing is providing long winded explanations to everything. Most DSC critics amplify every minor plot point they don't like into ridiculous rants. You're not any different.
    On tv they exploded. And remember STO is only cannon until TV/Films does something different. And amazing link. It's funny how you can never quite actually ever link any "proof" you ever have. I guess next time someone asks for proof I'll be like you and I'll just link google.com

There doesn't need to be a long winded explanation. Just write it so the fucking species not using antimatter/matter intermixing are the top dogs while the Federation is scrubs now, or don't make your entire series continually based on reality/universal changing shit like the spore drive, time travel, etc. Or hell don't steal an xmen storyline and have a mutants cry kill millions and change society or if you do give an explanation why the multitudes of species who don't use the same warp technologies can't fast travel either.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post

To be fair, we are all speculating here, even you. We do not know how Romulan warp engines were build. Yes, they are powered by an artificial black hole, but that does not mean that dilithium is not needed somewhere else for other uses than regulating M/AM reactions. For all we know, M/AM reactions may be used to produce the artificial singularities. Because it's not because the Romulans use an artificial singularities for their ships that they don't use M/AM reactors elsewhere to power factories, space stations, residences, laboratories, etc. Neither do we know if that artificial singularity power source is used in all starship classes of the Romulan Star Empire.

We are also talking about a ship class, the D'deridex, that was in operation during the late 24th century. A lot of things happened between the end of the Dominion War and the Burn. Beginning with the destruction of Romulus and Remus, which caused the fall of the Empire. The Romulans may not have been able to produce artificial singularities anymore. For all we know, the warbirds we see in Picard may all be powered by M/AM reactors. Or the Romulans may have simply abandoned the singularity engine because it had strategic flaws. It cannot produce enough energy to power the warp core above a certain warp speed without causing damage. It cannot be shut down. A damaged engine will cause the complete destruction of the ship (it's a mini black hole ready to swallow the whole ship, afterall). The fact the Romulans were the only great power to use it also shows that it was not that great. Starfleet did not use it, neither were the Klingons, nor the Cardassians, not even the Dominion, a millenary empire. So the UFP may have chosen not to use singularity engines to replace its traditional warp engines because of their flaws.

Now you will say that the writers are bad because they did not explain that. They don't need to explain it. They don't have to cater to nitpickers. They don't have to go through minute and boring technicalities and clutter the dialogues with technobabble if they don't serve the story. All we have to know is that the UFP, the Ni'Varans (which include Romulans) and the Emerald Chain are not stupid. If none of them chose to use the old 24th century Romulan technology, it's because it was not suitable or feasible. The End.
    You are correct its possible they use dilithium elsewhere. Its specifically said though that Singularity cores use an artificial singularity instead of the traditional antimatter/matter reactions of the federation. They also weren't able to go as fast without damaging the engines and didn't have a massive warpcore in the middle of the engine room so it wouldn't make any sense for antimatter/matter reactions to be a part of the core. There would literally be no reason for the singularity part then.
    Discovery specifically stated its the antimatter/matter reactions becoming uncontrol able that fucked everything up though and Dilithium has lost its charge before without destroying ships so even if the Singularity core had a Dilithium radiator or something there shouldn't be anything that explodes the ship/engine.

There was atleast one other advanced species to use singularity cores and other species who had different ways of faster than light travel such as super teleporters. Sure at the time singularity cores were dangerous at certain speeds but we know the Romulans continually advanced their tech. Even if they gave it up 50 years after creating it they would know of the technology in the future and would go back to it instead of being forced to basically walk everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    Isn't it only Burnham that's insurbodinate? But for a very very good reason. I reckon she could have prevented that conflict because she understood the Klingons better than anyone else.
    Well, at the very start of the series, yes. But when she gets on the Discovery many of the crew is pretty insubordinate
    and constantly, openly, challenge orders from superior officers. That is utterly wild.

Well, at the very start of the series, yes. But when she gets on the Discovery many of the crew is pretty insubordinate
    and constantly, openly, challenge orders from superior officers. That is utterly wild.
    I feel like Discovery should have been entirely mirror universe.

Also it's like they wanted to make her an antihero but she is constantly being rewarded like a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    I feel like Discovery should have been entirely mirror universe.

Also it's like they wanted to make her an antihero but she is constantly being rewarded like a hero.
    There are many things it coudl have been about.. do they have a singular focus or multiple?

And the technology, what should be it's big thing? We have this transietn matter.

I'd like to know about all the new tech things they use. What happened to things like the Omega molecule in the 32nd century? Surely we've only had a partial glimpse of the advancements of the Alpha quadrant.

Did they forget other 24th century improvements and techs from the other shows? Transwarp for example, didn't that not use dilithium, it probably needed dilithium?

I thought htey'd be more expanse liek with huge interstellar gateways.

What about those aliens from TNG that discovered how to reach worlds great distances apart with gateways? Surely they'd have figured out that tech by then.

What about those aliens from TNG that discovered how to reach worlds great distances apart with gateways? Surely they'd have figured out that tech by then.
    The Iconians. STO dedicates a good deal of it's story to it, it works alright given the limitations of the game world but I don't think it would work very well for a series such as Discovery, it's to grand in scope.

That said, for a species like the Iconians, now would be the perfect time to reemerge & reestablish control over the galaxy with all other races weakened.

However, the games are not canon, so no idea what their status is in the current timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Ara Myrr View Post
    The Iconians. STO dedicates a good deal of it's story to it, it works alright given the limitations of the game world but I don't think it would work very well for a series such as Discovery, it's to grand in scope.

That said, for a species like the Iconians, now would be the perfect time to reemerge & reestablish control over the galaxy with all other races weakened.

However, the games are not canon, so no idea what their status is in the current timeline.
    And that's the sort of direction they need to go for a new series, Discovery should shift to the episodic type star trek, and maybe we get Strange New worlds, also based in the 32nd century, in a recovering Federation utilising new tech like the Iconians gateways - something that really expands their horizon.. I don't know what the obsession is with going to the earlier eras, surely the volume of lore of the Federation really makes what they will be discovering in strange new worlds stuff we already know about.

It would die like Enterprise died.. They need a new frontier, not a lost ship like voyager, they already did that, but now the future going forward new regions or even new galaxies with the occasional revelation of worlds we never saw.

Strange New worlds could have an advantage though in exploring that era. The earlier shows never really showed us much of the actual worlds. All the action was ship based - unlike the JJ movies that sometimes showed us futuristic cities, and worlds, including that city like star base - the older shows never really showed us what the civilizations looked like, you had a very poor, low rez picture with far from impressive buildings that tended to look the same throughout the shows, and when they visited worlds, it was ALWAYS natural landscapes they should, even when we visited civilizations, it was like in small village type settings.

Furthermore, not one of the worlds really looked alien, and most of the worlds we are familiar with in name by mention we actually have seen little to nothing of. So Strange new worlds could focus more on the civilizations they find, and exploring the actual worlds than exploring the space between those world. It would have space travel and the occasional space anomaly mystery, there would be enough content to use - afterall, when we meet 22nd, 23rd and 24th century crews, they tend to show us new things onwards and very little of older discoveries.

So I guess it could work in the past if the focus is changed.

I don't thing Strange New Worlds should be ship space exploration focused, but the new worlds they find, and the existing races of the Federation we are familiar with but actually know very little about and seen next to nothing about their worlds. We even know so little of what Earth looks like at that point in time. only the JJ Abrams movies gave us some glimpses.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurosh View Post
    Sounds like Star Trek. Really. In TOS, Kirk and Enterprise just time travel to the 20th century as if it is something they do every now and then.

A superweapon isnt really Star Trek. Never was.
    Time travel is very Trek. Kid getting genetically linked to a planet screaming and blowing up all the other rocks in the galaxy was a first. I mean even the connection you tried to make didn't connect... like.. where are you taking it?

Now I recall why I stopped watching Discovery midway through S1; all the mushroom engine stuff. I think its stupid.

Now I recall why I stopped watching Discovery midway through S1; all the mushroom engine stuff. I think its stupid.
    More stupid than warp drive? The show has lots of challenges for the spore technology as they try to harness and perfect it, it's clear it's not reliable enough to be used fleet wide -it's experimental, and I found the challenges they threw up with it, that led up to how they stabilised it, sufficient enough.

To me it's no more silly than warp drive and sub space allowing you to fly faster than the speed of light, or gateways and portals that can instantly take you from one place to somewhere else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurosh View Post
    Sounds like Star Trek. Really. In TOS, Kirk and Enterprise just time travel to the 20th century as if it is something they do every now and then.

A superweapon isnt really Star Trek. Never was.
    Well of course you'd say that...you love this very anti-Trek dumpster fire

It's not Star Trek, it's moronic writing from people whose primary writing experience are CW dramas, and Kurtzman, whose movies and shows are all flash and no substance. It's incredibly lazy and dumb, it takes a show that used to have a little intelligence and wiped that out...

Let me sum up their writing style, instead of connecting any dots they just smash the crayon to the paper and drag it from start to finish

- - - Updated - - -

More stupid than warp drive? The show has lots of challenges for the spore technology as they try to harness and perfect it, it's clear it's not reliable enough to be used fleet wide -it's experimental, and I found the challenges they threw up with it, that led up to how they stabilised it, sufficient enough.

To me it's no more silly than warp drive and sub space allowing you to fly faster than the speed of light, or gateways and portals that can instantly take you from one place to somewhere else.
    Warp drive has some science behind it (which is why you probably dislike it) and restrictions...and once again you prove to me you'll say anything just to trash Star Trek to support NuTrek

More stupid than warp drive?
    Yes. Because there was not as much focus through a single season on warp drives and a quasi-metaphysical analog of the "muscles and veins of the universe!" for the purpose of storytelling. Plausibility is irrelevant; drama is the goal. As a source of drama, I find the spore engine eye-rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ara Myrr View Post
    See, that's one of the problems this show has.

It takes no time to explain things beyond the minimum needed to move the plot along.

Even if the technobabble has no real value in RL terms it can give viewers a sense of understanding of how and why it happened.

In the older series this was often presented in the sense of "This works the way it does, because... [insert technobabbly here]

Discovery often opts for the minimal for the sake of moving it all along and only goes "Because."

Talking, even if it's nonsensical gibberish can be just as enjoyable to watch if presented well then just another action scene.

Carl & Kovich are probably my favourite characters this season because of that, they just talk. Everyone else (barring Saru, and Vance to a lesser extent) has an intensity to them, like they're in a constant hurry to get somewhere.
    yep, the biggest problem Discovery always have. EVERYTHING is always rushed. always.

everyone is actively driven by x. everyone is on the way from a to b. everything is always just touched by a tiny bit, because „no time“ ! no time for explanations, no time for technobabble, no time to create deepness, no time for relationships, no time for nerd stuff, no time for small talk. EVERYTHING is always on the way. always.

in the end, every season (even when i really liked them all) had that bad taste of „rushed“ after it was over.

this would be my top priority, for a 4th season.

There are many things it coudl have been about.. do they have a singular focus or multiple?

And the technology, what should be it's big thing? We have this transietn matter.

I'd like to know about all the new tech things they use. What happened to things like the Omega molecule in the 32nd century? Surely we've only had a partial glimpse of the advancements of the Alpha quadrant.

Did they forget other 24th century improvements and techs from the other shows? Transwarp for example, didn't that not use dilithium, it probably needed dilithium?

I thought htey'd be more expanse liek with huge interstellar gateways.

Well when I say it should have been entirely mirror universe I mean the characters and everything should have been from the mirror universe and we should have never seen "our" universe. Then they could have been these more antihero like characters and more people would root for them. They would also have less lore to follow and would have less likely fucked up as much stuff. Sure we would know everything "good" they do eventually is for naught but they could have made their mark on the mirror universe or possibly help change it for the better if they also did a time travel jump there too.

The problem with technology and stuff in Discovery and Picard is they don't really think anything out nor care about the future of the universe by creating it like the teleporters in Picard. If they have been able to create the crazy teleporters by Picard they most certainly should have been able to create super ship teleporting teleporters by the time of the burn and if they haven super teleporters they dont need to worry about "slow" ships. And if its a range thing just build a teleportation network. Also considering at this time they were so advanced kids had time travel tech in school they shouldn't have a problem with range. And if it needed massive powersources like Antimatter/matter warp cores then Earth and likely most of the planets in the Federation should have been completely eradicated during the burn as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Time travel is very Trek. Kid getting genetically linked to a planet screaming and blowing up all the other rocks in the galaxy was a first. I mean even the connection you tried to make didn't connect... like.. where are you taking it?
    It's not even how utterly ridiculous the situation is that's the problem imo even though everyone and their mother mine dilithium and something like this should have occurred sooner given the fact you aren't constantly leaving a planet if your mining it and some species use slaves to mine dilithium plus that are different types of Dilithium have been shown to exist and so even if a magical mutant baby cry could wipe out Dilithium it should have only been that "type" of it. It's the fact that they took what would just be some stupid cringe episode that everyone laughs at in any other star trek series and turned it into a universal altering event.

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    Warp drive has some science behind it (which is why you probably dislike it) and restrictions...and once again you prove to me you'll say anything just to trash Star Trek to support NuTrek
    No need to get bitter. I neither like nor dislike warp drive, i'm not going to get hung up on whether one unrealistic piece of fiction is less realistic than another unrealistic piece of fiction.

The entire premise of Star Trek in almost every way shape and form is incredibly unrealistic. Even their ideas of life, the future are set to hone rhetoric and one ideal, they hold as the standard of truth and reality - and it's all totally fiction. None of it is real or close to being real. I'm not going to get more upset because spore drive is less real science fiction (see the contradiction?) than warp drive.

For all i know and all you know, spore drive could actually be closer to the reality than warp drive - warp drive just seems more plausible by 60s science wacky theory.

The point is they are all not real, - i don't like one any more or less than the other. I appreciated having a new gimmick that felt futuristic and allowed them to do more impossible things. That's the attraction of science fiction, you do impossible things that you're not supposed to be able to do, none of it is real, none more valid than the other. if you can imagine it, then you can implement it in fiction, the only real qualification for something in fiction is that it can be imagined. And that is as good a basis for it than any other - why? Because it isn't actually real.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. Because there was not as much focus through a single season on warp drives and a quasi-metaphysical analog of the "muscles and veins of the universe!" for the purpose of storytelling. Plausibility is irrelevant; drama is the goal. As a source of drama, I find the spore engine eye-rolling.
    They touch on t more, you should finish the season and watch the next one. Also don't forget warp drive has 7-8 star trek series behind it, building it up, expanding it etc, give it some time, or not.

They touch on t more, you should finish the season and watch the next one. Also don't forget warp drive has 7-8 star trek series behind it, building it up, expanding it etc, give it some time, or not.
    I am still watching. I'm gonna go through everything on this CBS All Access in a week or so.

I am still watching. I'm gonna go through everything on this CBS All Access in a week or so.
    The way I approached it, is that i just didn't listen to all the perspectives on it, and I ended up finding out i liked it more than i thought I would.

Like all fiction, I don't think too much about how they got things to be, learnt to block it out and just enjoy the entertainment, from the cool effects, or cool fighting scenes, the incredible fantasy and theories about the future or the plot whenever it is interesting - and they do make it engaging enough if you ignore the errors - which I find I can within reason for most operations.

The way I approached it, is that I just didn't listen to all the perspectives on it, and I ended up finding out I liked it more than I thought I would.

Like all fiction, I don't think too much about how they got things to be, learned to block it out and just enjoy the entertainment, from the cool effects, or cool fighting scenes, the incredible fantasy and theories about the future or the plot whenever it is interesting - and they do make it engaging enough if you ignore the errors - which I find I can within reason for most operations.
    Well, same. I am not looking to Star Trek Discovery for a science lesson. It's the drama as a result of the fantasy which is engaging- and I do enjoy the show quite a bit. I am not hung up on the technicality or "errors" of the mushroom engine. I just think a lot of it came off weakly when they made analogies to the "connectedness of all things!"

- - - Updated - - -

Pike is fantastic.