Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    yep, the biggest problem Discovery always have. EVERYTHING is always rushed. always.

everyone is actively driven by x. everyone is on the way from a to b. everything is always just touched by a tiny bit, because „no time“ ! no time for explanations, no time for technobabble, no time to create deepness, no time for relationships, no time for nerd stuff, no time for small talk. EVERYTHING is always on the way. always.

in the end, every season (even when i really liked them all) had that bad taste of „rushed“ after it was over.

this would be my top priority, for a 4th season.
    heh, I might partially agree to that. But then, on the other hand, almost in every episode Burnham had a few minute philosophical monologue, or a cliche emotional conversation, that I usually skipped because they were so boring, shallow and cringeworthy. Feel like they could have put something better in place of those.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    So by this logic TOS isn't Star Trek either, given that an entire episode is solely about a child's temper tantrum.
    The difference is the child's temper tantrum doesn't upend the whole galaxy.

Star Trek has tons of super powerful beings, but usually they're all awkwardly limited to like a star system or planet and their powers rarely extend past that. The only exception I can think of are the Q, and for the most part they also haven't meddled with the galaxy to the extent that the kelpian kid did.

Usually when big things change its from one of the more 'mortal' species doing something.

About halfway through Season 2 now. Captain Pike is so awesome! Love this guy, perfect Captain. Should have made the entire Discovery series about Captain Pike!

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    Well, good news! There's going to be an entire show following Pike and crew: Strange New Worlds

By the same token I would say that Lorca was one of the best parts of season 1.
    Well, slap me silly. That's awesome to know.

I just thought Pike was so good on Discovery. Good acting and well written. Every time I thought, "The Captain probably should say something here..." Cpt. Pike did and often said the exact thing I would expect out if someone with his supposed experience, reputation and rank. He was also wonderfully humane and a excellent leader under fire so far.

A few times now Pike has given a short speech if inspirination that landed incredibly well. Yet without any of the eye rolling dialogue of other characters this far.

Terrific. This is what I was expecting out of Discovery.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh damn, this is tied to The Menagerie? What? My mind is blown.

Season 2 significantly better than season 1: mushroom madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Well, slap me silly. That's awesome to know.

I just thought Pike was so good on Discovery. Good acting and well written. Every time I thought, "The Captain probably should say something here..." Cpt. Pike did and often said the exact thing I would expect out if someone with his supposed experience, reputation and rank. He was also wonderfully humane and a excellent leader under fire so far.

A few times now Pike has given a short speech if inspirination that landed incredibly well. Yet without any of the eye rolling dialogue of other characters this far.

Terrific. This is what I was expecting out of Discovery.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh damn, this is tied to The Menagerie? What? My mind is blown.

Season 2 significantly better than season 1: mushroom madness.
    I thought the same thing, and I enjoyed Season 3 even more, I liked how each season was different. Oh and avoid reading commentaries and fan reviews/discussions before you actually finish it. Otherwise they will sour your heart towards it and you are less likely to give it a fair chance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finished Season 3. Was a little bit boring and sometimes felt like a chore to watch. I was also very disappointed with the big reveal regarding the burn. Is that all they could come up with? Something so devastating needs a far better otherworldly explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Finished Season 3. Was a little bit boring and sometimes felt like a chore to watch. I was also very disappointed with the big reveal regarding the burn. Is that all they could come up with? Something so devastating needs a far better otherworldly explanation.
    Interesting pov, I didn't chain watch season 3, I wonder if that is why i was okay about the explanation of the burn. I rather liked it, and felt it was a good touch how they handled the whole interaction with the guy. I thought it was creative to make it something so obscure - I did not expect it was basically a space accident that effected the entire galaxy - but neat too, they have shown how there was more to the burn than just being cut off, like Navarr/Vulcan leaving the federation because of that and many worlds blaming their space gate technology.. so the ramifications are politically significant, but not in the way you would have expected which is some enemy alien race masterminding it.. they certainly appeared to set it up like that.

I wonder if having a week between each episode helped in that regard - because I had time to process and sit on the possibility of it being some evil alien force but had to wait through weeks of a wild goose chase that kept throwing more questions than answering it so by the time we got to that part, it was a mystery I was properly into wanting to find out who , why and how. And i was very satisfied with it.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    I'm surprised there isn't more human evolution in the 32nd century - it's not like Star trek specifically needs it with all the different races they can use to provide literally any function or ability.

However, it would be kinda cool to see humanity to have evolved something rather cool biologically in the future.
    Yea I don't see Star Trek (or any other of the scifi franchises out there) doing much with human evolution itself.

Not because it would or would not be scientifically accurate, but more because /humans. If you go 'evolving' Humans into something not-as-human, the the creator/writers risk alienating 'normal' humans more and more from the show. ANY Show (not just Star Trek). You want your tv viewer to identify with characters on the screen, have empathy, etc. and you lose parts of that the more 'not human' you make your characters.

In addition to whatever extra expenses from having more 'alien' parts on your human actors.

But ultimately - its why none of the tv/movies about "Future" Humans really evolve humans all that much, if at any. Go changing too much and you create a smaller and smaller audience that can identify, and therefore enjoy, your show. That's not what tv/movie production is about. Not saying I agree with some of this 'fear' of losing the audience, but it is the reality they operate in.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Yea I don't see Star Trek (or any other of the scifi franchises out there) doing much with human evolution itself.

Not because it would or would not be scientifically accurate, but more because /humans. If you go 'evolving' Humans into something not-as-human, the the creator/writers risk alienating 'normal' humans more and more from the show. ANY Show (not just Star Trek). You want your tv viewer to identify with characters on the screen, have empathy, etc. and you lose parts of that the more 'not human' you make your characters.
    The Federation has specific laws against genetic modification. This is why it was such a big deal that Stamets altered himself. It’s not likely he’ll turn into the second coming of Khan but the latter is why those laws exist.

I'm pretty over Tilly to be honest. Thought she was a Cornball from the start but I hate her personality in the show right now. Just kill her off.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    IIRC, there were literally "eugenics wars" over augmenting humans through genetic engineering, right? Which is where Khan came from.
    Yep. And Khan was one of the nicer supermen. Superior ability breeds superior ambition.

Richard Bashir went to jail for modifying Julian and DS9 has had a few episodes regarding this.

My god, I wish they had jettisoned Burnham in episode 1. This character is ruining the series.

Its kinda weird how rare genetic engineering is among other species, same with AI's.

What if a species who genetically modified itself wanted to join the federation. Would they not be allowed?
    Last edited by Myradin; 2021-01-19 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post

In addition to whatever extra expenses from having more 'alien' parts on your human actors.

But ultimately - its why none of the tv/movies about "Future" Humans really evolve humans all that much, if at any. Go changing too much and you create a smaller and smaller audience that can identify, and therefore enjoy, your show. That's not what tv/movie production is about. Not saying I agree with some of this 'fear' of losing the audience, but it is the reality they operate in.
    I am thinking its because the superhero genre has over saturated that avenue, that touching it might turn it into a super hero thing rather than a sci-fi thing.

Jedi get away with it, because it's not evolution based, but spiritual based.

Ugh, these people are saying their final heartfelt goodbyes every other episode.

I just want people to die and get on with it already.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    heh, I might partially agree to that. But then, on the other hand, almost in every episode Burnham had a few minute philosophical monologue, or a cliche emotional conversation, that I usually skipped because they were so boring, shallow and cringeworthy. Feel like they could have put something better in place of those.
    yep. i agree. its like go go go rush rush rush, stop - wait - quickly run down your superficial pseudo quick dramatic character moment - aaaaand go on go go go rush rush rush

yep, totally agree here. even when rushed, you wanna skip that simplified „now that character can shine and play down that emotional thing“ ... for 1 min ... because it just not feels really embedded and is mostly stupid and superficial or totally a stupid chliche thing everybody expected. WHEN they go rushing, just keep that stuff out of the show. or take your time and do it right the whole episode. but this combination is the worst of both worlds.

it is, as mr. myagi said: left side of street, fine. right side of street, fine. middle of the street: squished like grape!

https://youtu.be/Y3lQSxNdr3c
    Last edited by Niwes; 2021-01-20 at 02:35 AM.

Ugh, these people are saying their final heartfelt goodbyes every other episode.

Even redshirts deserve love and respect.

Yeah. I sort of got it with Georgio cause she was literally like sick, even though most the crew had no reason to like her.

But then when they get to the dilithium planet its just nuts. Imagine ToS where every time Kirk and company went to beam down to a planet everyone cried and hugged and gave them their heartfelt goodbies.

Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    Its kinda weird how rare genetic engineering is among other species, same with AI's.

What if a species who genetically modified itself wanted to join the federation. Would they not be allowed?
    I imagine it would depend on how extreme the modification is and if it's done voluntary rather than forced by the race's governing body. Or, as is the case with the Barzan/Benzites, needed to breath a different atmosphere without tech aids.

And AI's are definitely a thing, but think the Enterprise computer rather than Data.
    Most are purpose built and work in a constrained environment to minimize the risk/damage of it going rogue.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account

hahah - watching the wrong show =D

Waaayyy to many characters on the show have plot-armor. That regardless of how stupid or deadly the situation is, they end up surviving - somehow.

I think they actually get WORSE with this in Season 3. Last "character I recognized" that died was somewhere in Season 2. But Season 3 plot-finales setup multiple extremely deadly situations, that end up not having any consequences for anyone.

Now I'm not blaming the show for that. Trek and "red shirts" is a meme for a reason. And I don't really normally mind plot armor. But still - at times the plot seems to go out of its way to setup a beyond-survivable situation (vs. just a very dangerous one) only to have everyone be just fine at the end.

But get use to the "We may never see each other again - all the emotions" - "Nah we all good!" Just accept it. Its easier that way.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.