Page 1 of 115
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

(TV) Star Trek: Discovery

So the new first look trailer came out today...

... and it's clearly set in the JJverse. That's a good thing, because I think the Klingons look terrible.

This just isn't what I want. I want the Prime Universe back. There isn't a lot of "Star Trekiness" in this trailer to get me to want to see it.

I thought it looked pretty boring.

Looks alright, though the Klingons make it look more like the Kelvin timeline. I do like that it looks like they are going to do more than the standard aliens, not a fan of it being part of a streaming service though so I'll have to use alternative methods to watch it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The new klingons honestly look more intimidating to me and I would have liked a new series, one in the future instead of the past, but, thats okay. I'll watch it :3

PC: (Case) Phanteks - Eclipse P300, (Power Supply) Apevia - 750W ATX, (Vid) MSI - Radeon RX 580, (HD) Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB, (SSD) Transcend - MTS600
    (RAM) Corsair - 8GB x2, (Motherboard) ASRock - AB350, (CPU) AMD - Ryzen 5 1400, (OS) W10

----------------
    WoW player, GW2 Dabbler and the Girl Who Went Chasing Owls.

Deleted
    This video is not avaiable.

I had a massive boner till i realized it was the JJ verse, damn that worked better than picturing my naked grandma when i need to kill a boner

God

Fucking

Damn

It.

Deleted
    Anything not in the Roddenberry universe is not star trek, as we know it Jim.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm giving it a chance. TNG was hit with a truck of negativity right off. "It'll never survive a single season!" Bet you kiddies don't even remember that =(

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    I'm giving it a chance. TNG was hit with a truck of negativity right off. "It'll never survive a single season!" Bet you kiddies don't even remember that =(
    im old enough to remember trying to watch it on a small 14" tv in my bedroom when doing my homework during its first TV run in the UK

10+ Year Old Account
    I can live with the JJ verse as long as Abrams isn't actually directing it. His lack of all sense of the vastness of space really strips out a lot of what makes Star Trek, Star TREK and not Star Wars.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Ugggh.

Despite everything I read and heard, I still tried to maintain an optimistic view of the show. Mostly because Bryan Fuller was originally attached. But now I see why he ditched it like a bad habit (even if he was forced to). This is absolutely awful and nothing like what we were promised from the start.

What a massive disappointment.

I might watch a few of the first episodes well after they're released, but certainly not on CBS's pay-to-view service. Fuck them for thinking this is what the public (and more specifically, the fanbase) wanted.

If it's not on tv or netflix I'm never going to watch it, simple as that. As for the content, I reserve judgment - although I absolutely love the jj reboot just because it makes so many nerds blood-spitting mad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    Agreed. I'm excited for a new Star Trek, period. How it will be, we have way too little info to go on.

Sure, I'd have liked to seen a new series taking place in a post Dominion War universe, later than 2380, instead of the rebooted series at all, but I'll take what I can get. If it's a success, hopefully we get more, a la the TNG, DS9, Voyager overlap.

I wish it was in the real star trek universe ive hated all the jverse movies they just dont shine at all compared to the real star trek universe.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

Well, we have the rest of the world as a market now, and the rest of the world isn't familiar with the differences in Star Trek universes.

Personally I've always been a huge sci-fi fan, but haven't seen any of the Star Trek series, mainly due to the fact that they never aired on TV in my country when they ran, and the fact that the special effects don't stand the test of time for me to bother now.

The hit and miss for me on this one is the storytelling, where at least I favour the B5, (season 2-4), and BG (2004), due to their focus on the long story, and not only stand-alone episodes.
    Last edited by Waynhim; 2017-05-18 at 04:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    ... and it's clearly set in the JJverse. That's a good thing, because I think the Klingons look terrible.
    http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-d...rek-discovery/

http://ew.com/article/2016/08/10/star-trek-tv-series/

All the articles say that it's set in the TV universe, not the JJverse.

Star Trek: Discovery will be set in the “Prime Universe” (so in the timeline of the original shows, not the J.J. Abrams reboot films), about a decade before Captain Kirk’s five-year mission. “We can redefine the visual style,” he said. “We get to play with all of the iconography of those ships and that universe. Since we are doing this series in 2016, and all of the other series have been produced [at a time that] isn’t as sophisticated as we are now with what we can do production-wise, we’re going to be reestablishing an entire look for the series — not only for the series, but for what we wanted to accomplish with Star Trek beyond this series.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks awesome!

Deleted
    Where the hell is Jason Isaacs??

Quote Originally Posted by shitngiggles View Post
    Where the hell is Jason Isaacs??
    On the Discovery.

The trailer was obviously showing the Shenzhou, because the captain depicted is being played by Michelle Yeoh.

So I'm assuming our protagonist starts out on the Shenzhou, then gets transferred to the Discovery after some period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-d...rek-discovery/

http://ew.com/article/2016/08/10/star-trek-tv-series/

All the articles say that it's set in the TV universe, not the JJverse.
    Not the JJ verse but were going to add a shit load of lense flairs use similar visual style and make the Kingons look like shit reptilians anyway?

Great.....