Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

'First Strike' comic cancelled as to not interfere with player headcanon

Seeing as this isn't an OW forum most of you may not care, but Game Director Jeff Kaplan had this to say:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/17/15...plan-interview

Response post on the OW subreddit
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/c...ibit_fans_own/

This actually annoys me. If they had other plans for the timeperiod or wanted to work it out on a different medium it'd be fine, but this is kinda weak.

Your thoughts?

Iritating. Headcanons are okay, but I expected them to fill the gaps in lore as times goes by. But so far, Overwatch almost stood in place in terms of lore despite the fact that year passed since it's release. Couple comics about characters backstory isn't that much.

For WoW they have the healthy attitude of "we listen to the players, but we don't let you develop the game". This, on the other hand, is stepping down from generating revenue because it might mess up some people's headcanon...
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

so no major lore expanses for any characters because they don't want to ruin peoples imaginations

ok....
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beste Kerel View Post
    Seeing as this isn't an OW forum most of you may not care, but Game Director Jeff Kaplan had this to say:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/17/15...plan-interview

Response post on the OW subreddit
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/c...ibit_fans_own/

This actually annoys me. If they had other plans for the timeperiod or wanted to work it out on a different medium it'd be fine, but this is kinda weak.

Your thoughts?
    That's fucking idiotic. Don't put a lid on your own artistic creations and vision because of the shitty ideas of the mostly idiotic community.

that interview sounds more like "we compared our story to those that others were making and realised we could deliver better lore in a better way"

this doesn't mean they wont be releasing more shorts, more comics, more canon lore. just sounds like "first strike" was going to be a big rigid "this is how it is, was, and always will be" and from an artistic standpoint, that is a bad box to put yourself in.
    like this isn't marvel, you can't just go - okay we've done that timeline. now we are gonna do CYBER GOTH batman, whooa bruce wayne got wicked bionic implants! - once they set the lore in stone here, that'll be it.

so personally, this looks like a good decision. instead of releasing one huge block of lore and going "yep, done" they can release smaller chunks here and there, which allows them so much more open time to think about how x relates to y and affects q and s, t, u, z.

overwatch is an unfolding story developing and growing along with us. and that is more exciting to me than "here is the book. that's it."

here is a practical example

fig a. first strike complete past history of overwatch lore is released. 6 months later "oh shit we have a great idea for a new hero! ... hey look everyone its luchalunchbox, the awesome new wrestling melee hero that.. wasn't around during the omnic crisis i guess but hey here he is now to save the day i guess!"

fig b. first strike not out. past history of overwatch lore remains spotty. 6 months later "oh shit, i've got it. luchalunchbox!" ~~~freedom to insert this hero into the past lore without disrupting anything or being awkward as fuck~~~

but whatever. if you hate this decision, i'm sure drafts of first strike will leak somewhere. take that as canon if you want.
    Last edited by the boar; 2017-05-18 at 07:56 PM.

Very stupid.

Don't let headcanon and shippers dictate the direction of the game at large or altogether halt lore progression/backstories.
    MMO-Champ users log on and just say things

Deleted
    So save money, don't expand the universe and probably never add story elements to the game?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    For WoW they have the healthy attitude of "we listen to the players, but we don't let you develop the game". This, on the other hand, is stepping down from generating revenue because it might mess up some people's headcanon...
    it was on one of wired's videos where jeff responded to questions on twitter. and even there he addmited "the charecters belong to the community, we just make it happen" We love seeing you guys ship charecters, and even see soldier as a "golf daddy" and DVA as a mountain dew chugging gremlin
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really get it, I can't muster any cares for player made canon, regardless of how it fits or makes sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats moronic, and I don't care if people don't like what the WoW team or Diablo team writes, I don't give a shit, they're the ones creating an universe. Game development isn't a democracy.

People shouldn't be the ones dictacting what is what and what ''could be''. That's why I found Chronicles to be one of the best literature works from Blizzard, because it solified the foundations for Warcraft. Kaplan what the fuck are you doing, you're spending to much time on Tumblr.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    that interview sounds more like "we compared our story to those that others were making and realised we could deliver better lore in a better way"
    Well interpreting a meaning behind something that didn't specifically imply anything of the sort is a naïve approach.

If Jeff specifically stated what you understood from it, then it's another story entirely.
    Alas, it is not.

Stupid choice is stupid
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Great. Maybe this will lead to Genji and Hanzo being adopted by Soldier: 76 so they can both compete for their new daddy's affection and 'helix rocket'.

I mean, it's my headcanon, right? They better respect and acknowledge it as a possibility!

Seeing this isnt a political forum ,one may think most of people on these boards may not care about politics either.

I totally respect this decision! It's a great thing to do. I just love how they embraces the community creations. Instead of making something rock solid, they leave it to our imagination. We all know gossip sells and causes discussions which in turn means marketing for Overwatch. I think it's a win win. Good job Blizz!
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

So they don't know what to do and they don't want to limit themselves with what they can do.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    it was on one of wired's videos where jeff responded to questions on twitter. and even there he addmited "the charecters belong to the community, we just make it happen" We love seeing you guys ship charecters, and even see soldier as a "golf daddy" and DVA as a mountain dew chugging gremlin
    Then they should throw in some sprays, emotes, maybe even a skin, as many of them are non-canon anyway, maybe put slight hints in official art/books, but they shouldn't let the actual story go to waste.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HumbleDuck View Post
    Seeing this isnt a political forum ,one may think most of people on these boards may not care about politics either.
    What have you been smoking?

Quote Originally Posted by Beste Kerel View Post
    What have you been smoking?
    Recently some Jamaican Reds, really great stuff.