Please help, with my build

I am trying to build a new pc with preferably the Ryzen processor thinking the 1700 or 1700x, not ruling out the 1800 tho. My budget is 1200$ tho, I will need everything as my current rig is on its last leg. I do have the monitor and keyboard/mouse.

So I ask can anyone help me build a strong rig that will last me 5+ years

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wcshadow View Post
    I am trying to build a new pc with preferably the Ryzen processor thinking the 1700 or 1700x, not ruling out the 1800 tho. My budget is 1200$ tho, I will need everything as my current rig is on its last leg. I do have the monitor and keyboard/mouse.

Thanks
    Just two questions for you. What is your intended purpose for this computer, gaming or as a workstation? Also, What settings are you trying to play games at?

Quote Originally Posted by teamkiller View Post
    Just two questions for you. What is your intended purpose for this computer, gaming or as a workstation? Also, What settings are you trying to play games at?
    Primary purpose will be gaming/streaming with some workstation stuff on occasion. Prefer the best settings possible but I understand that's not necessarily possible with a 1200$ budget. As for the video card I was thinking about a Radeon but im open to the GeForce line as well.
    Last edited by wcshadow; 2017-07-29 at 05:36 AM.

Thanks
    Hey, what kind of workstation tasks are we looking at? Btw, just so you know: no current mainstream processor can handle streaming AAA games with processor encoding and streaming it at the same time, even R7, you're going to need a dedicated render machine for that (or use QuickSync/NVENC/VCE). Also, which country are you ordering from?
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2017-07-30 at 09:34 AM.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Hey, what kind of workstation tasks are we looking at? Btw, just so you know: no current mainstream processor can handle streaming AAA games with processor encoding and streaming it at the same time, even R7, you're going to need a dedicated render machine for that (or use QuickSync/NVENC/VCE). Also, which country are you ordering from?
    Would strictly be video streaming no game streams, im not that good Workstation tasks would just be some rendering/converting video formats. As for the country, USA

Thanks

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($197.88 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($83.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($141.22 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.64 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($519.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ B&H)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($46.89 @ Newegg)
    Other: Windows 10 @ Kinguin.net ($37.00)
    Total: $1248.48
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-30 15:49 EDT-0400

Couple of notes here. You can skip the cooler if you're not planning to overclock (you absolutely should though), CPU includes a stock cooler. You can also skip the OS if you have a licence tied up to your Microsoft account. If you dont want to compromise here you can replace a GTX 1080 with a 1070 (you lose about 15% performance), the difference is $70 at most. I found no way to fit R7 1700 here without heavily compromising on a videocard (which is not worth here). Also, assuming your HDD is in working condition and you can use it with the next build.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post

Couple of notes here. You can skip the cooler if you're not planning to overclock (you absolutely should though), CPU includes a stock cooler. You can also skip the OS if you have a licence tied up to your Microsoft account. If you dont want to compromise here you can replace a GTX 1080 with a 1070 (you lose about 15% performance), the difference is $70 at most. I found no way to fit R7 1700 here without heavily compromising on a videocard (which is not worth here). Also, assuming your HDD is in working condition and you can use it with the next build.
    How much power would I be losing out on if I did not overclock (also im not sure how to overclock would be my first time) ? How noticeable of a difference would I see if I were to spend a little more and pick up the 1700 ?

How much power would I be losing out on if I did not overclock (also im not sure how to overclock would be my first time) ? How noticeable of a difference would I see if I were to spend a little more and pick up the 1700 ?
    Up to 10% depending on the scenario for overclocking. 1700 is absolutely not worth it if you're primarily using your rig for gaming - the difference is minimal. For workstation tasks you know the core/thread difference - it's 33%. Although for rendering/video editing you can (and should) take advantage of GPU acceleration for most usecases, making the difference neglectigible. Unless you're going for primarily workstation rig you shouldnt think about 1700 here: getting it means giving up GTX 1080.