BIOS stopped detecting SSD Boot Drive and it prevents Windows USB Boot Drive

I just recently unplugged my PC for ~ 5 days while I was moving to a new place. Today I tried to set it back up and was greeted with a please insert a boot drive cd blah blah blah

Went into BIOS, SSD has vanished from the list of storage devices. Tried connecting it to different SATA Cables/Slots and using a different power cable, no luck.

Then I popped in my USB boot drive that I keep with me and it got stuck on the Windows spinning loading icon thing. After trying that a couple times I unplugged the SSD SATA cable and viola now the USB Boot Drive works.

What is the likely culprit here? I don't see how an SSD can fail while sitting unused for a few days, never had any problems with it before, seems pretty random but clearly there is something wrong with it.

If its a failing SSD, it will be the second one I've had fail in 2 years. Really disappointing if they really have this short of an average life span.

If your SSD is not detected in a list of storage devices it's very likely that it's the culprit. For the troubleshooting try disabling Fast Boot and Secure Boot.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

15+ Year Old Account
    Which SSD do you have?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    I just recently unplugged my PC for ~ 5 days while I was moving to a new place. Today I tried to set it back up and was greeted with a please insert a boot drive cd blah blah blah

Went into BIOS, SSD has vanished from the list of storage devices. Tried connecting it to different SATA Cables/Slots and using a different power cable, no luck.

Then I popped in my USB boot drive that I keep with me and it got stuck on the Windows spinning loading icon thing. After trying that a couple times I unplugged the SSD SATA cable and viola now the USB Boot Drive works.

What is the likely culprit here? I don't see how an SSD can fail while sitting unused for a few days, never had any problems with it before, seems pretty random but clearly there is something wrong with it.

If its a failing SSD, it will be the second one I've had fail in 2 years. Really disappointing if they really have this short of an average life span.
    Try the following link:

http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial...tem/ta-p/65215

This works on several brands including Samsung, Crucial and Corsair ones, see if it'll work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Which SSD do you have?
    Samsung 840 EVO 250gb

Try the following link:

http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial...tem/ta-p/65215

This works on several brands including Samsung, Crucial and Corsair ones, see if it'll work for you.
    Mm yea I did actually attempt this to some extent when i was troubleshooting yesterday. I believe the idea is to disconnect the SATA data cable but leave the drive powered up through the power supply and let it sit for some time powered up at the Reboot and select proper boot device menu.

I only tried it one time for about 10 minutes and it didn't work, but I guess I will try it again with the suggested 20 mins, power down 30 seconds, then 20 mins on again. Not like I have anything else to do atm until a new SSD gets here.

Edit: Gave it a shot, no luck.
    Last edited by Alcsaar; 2017-05-20 at 05:52 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Mm yea I did actually attempt this to some extent when i was troubleshooting yesterday. I believe the idea is to disconnect the SATA data cable but leave the drive powered up through the power supply and let it sit for some time powered up at the Reboot and select proper boot device menu.

I only tried it one time for about 10 minutes and it didn't work, but I guess I will try it again with the suggested 20 mins, power down 30 seconds, then 20 mins on again. Not like I have anything else to do atm until a new SSD gets here.

Edit: Gave it a shot, no luck.
    They actually suggest doing it 3 times instead of 2 and power down actually meaning removing the power cord completely, not just PC not off.
    Otherwise it's a soft power cycle, they want you to do it as a "hard" cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    They actually suggest doing it 3 times instead of 2 and power down actually meaning removing the power cord completely, not just PC not off.
    Otherwise it's a soft power cycle, they want you to do it as a "hard" cycle.

I removed the SATA power connector from the SSD which should be the same as unplugging the power supply itself.

Still I tried it like 4 times and it didn't work

15+ Year Old Account
    I removed the SATA power connector from the SSD which should be the same as unplugging the power supply itself.

Still I tried it like 4 times and it didn't work
    Then honestly... bad luck?

I still have an OCZ Vertex 128GB (Vertex 1 drive from 2009) being used by my laptop.
    My sister's laptop has an Kingston HyperX from 2011, her PC has a Crucial M4 from 2010.

I could go on for a while longer but I think you get the point.

Having said that ... by far the brand I've had the most "wonky" issues with has been Samsung, more specifically the 840 series and a little of the 850s.
    The original 830s ... those are still running everywhere I used them.

If you've had 2 issues with Samsung drives perhaps switch to a Crucial MX300 drive?
    Try something else.. maybe you have a Samsung Death Aura?

I mean it sucks but that's all I can tell you regarding it.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Then honestly... bad luck?

I still have an OCZ Vertex 128GB (Vertex 1 drive from 2009) being used by my laptop.
    My sister's laptop has an Kingston HyperX from 2011, her PC has a Crucial M4 from 2010.

I could go on for a while longer but I think you get the point.

Having said that ... by far the brand I've had the most "wonky" issues with has been Samsung, more specifically the 840 series and a little of the 850s.
    The original 830s ... those are still running everywhere I used them.

If you've had 2 issues with Samsung drives perhaps switch to a Crucial MX300 drive?
    Try something else.. maybe you have a Samsung Death Aura?

I mean it sucks but that's all I can tell you regarding it.
    I can't recall what the previous one was, but I don't think it was a Samsung cause I've never much trusted Samsung computer hardware. Anyway new one is on the way and will be here tomorrow.

I had really bad luck with the Samsung 840 Evo. Had one fail the same way you are describing after 11 months. The warranty replacement drive they sent me failed after 1 year. The second warranty replacement drive was a 850 Evo (free upgrade) and that has been working perfectly for almost 2 years now.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    What motherboard do you have?
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL: