Deleted

Question Display Decision Help (4K IPS vs QHD 144Hz)

Hi Techies!

Since my old display (Samsung 22", 1900*1200) seems to be going to the grave soon, I am planning an upgrade and feel like sitting between chairs. My hardware-setup is an i7-6700k, GTX1080 and 16GB Ram. My other display runs with 144Hz in Full-HD resolution (BenQ XL2411Z). (I feel quite comfortable gaming in Full-HD and 100-120 fps.)
    I do play a lot of games but am also doing a lot of "office-work": programming and writing, editing some pictures and videos. So its a wide spectrum of work. Thats why I feel like "compromising" everytime I make a decision for a specific display.

I actually like the BenQ BL2711U [1]: 4K and an IPS-Screen for good colours (10-bit) and smooth office-work.
    But then I really like the 120/144 Hz on my XL2411Z which brings me to the BenQ ZOWIE XL2730 [2]: QHD and support for 144Hz.

Both cost about the same (~500€) which is the upper bound of my budget.
    I thought about an QHD-IPS display with 144Hz, but these seem to be quite rare.
    Do you have experience with either of these screens or know alternatives?

Thanks in advance for your time and insight!
    If you're missing any information, let me know!

[1]: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00...KR8XB7XF&psc=1
    [2]: https://www.amazon.de/BenQ-ZOWIE-XL2...2730+LED+27%22

Hi,

I found this website to help with comparing monitors, here's a link that compares your two choices:

https://uk.hardware.info/comparisont.../301427-352468

I'm sure you've weighed up the pros and cons of your choices, but as a graphics professional (like myself) I'm sure you'll never regret the investment in colour but you might regret not going for the best colour. If that makes sense?

If you go for the BenQ BL2711U then you'll also have a solid comparison that will help toward your next (albeit far away) purchase in later years of what you prefer -QHD or 4K. Personally, professionally, I can't imagine 4K editing (I do websites and graphics and QHD is lovely!) but I'm sure I'd be in the same purchasing dilemma as you are if I was choosing.

Personally, I don't have a graphics card to pump out games at 4K -you do -so I'd recommend you won't go wrong with the 4K, IPS and 10bit colour of the BenQ BL2711U plus you know BenQ is a lovely brand and the monitor looks the business.

As you say, QHD @ 144Hz to rarely in budget, but here's a few you might consider:

https://uk.hardware.info/comparisont...-293002-331128

Best of luck, let us know which one you went for -I'm almost considering a graphics upgrade and the BL2711U myself -I have 2 x BL2420PT myself!

Do you realize that you need a very capable PC to take advantage of a 144Hz display on QHD? What is your spec currently?
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Do you realize that you need a very capable PC to take advantage of a 144Hz display on QHD? What is your spec currently?
    Read the OP?

Quote Originally Posted by Furyan View Post
    Hi Techies!

Since my old display (Samsung 22", 1900*1200) seems to be going to the grave soon, I am planning an upgrade and feel like sitting between chairs. My hardware-setup is an i7-6700k, GTX1080 and 16GB Ram. My other display runs with 144Hz in Full-HD resolution (BenQ XL2411Z). (I feel quite comfortable gaming in Full-HD and 100-120 fps.)
    I do play a lot of games but am also doing a lot of "office-work": programming and writing, editing some pictures and videos. So its a wide spectrum of work. Thats why I feel like "compromising" everytime I make a decision for a specific display.

I actually like the BenQ BL2711U [1]: 4K and an IPS-Screen for good colours (10-bit) and smooth office-work.
    But then I really like the 120/144 Hz on my XL2411Z which brings me to the BenQ ZOWIE XL2730 [2]: QHD and support for 144Hz.

Both cost about the same (~500€) which is the upper bound of my budget.
    I thought about an QHD-IPS display with 144Hz, but these seem to be quite rare.
    Do you have experience with either of these screens or know alternatives?

Thanks in advance for your time and insight!
    If you're missing any information, let me know!

[1]: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00...KR8XB7XF&psc=1
    [2]: https://www.amazon.de/BenQ-ZOWIE-XL2...2730+LED+27%22
    He states his specs and intended uses.

That's not actually true anyways, with gsync you can easily get by with a 1060 and a qhd 144hz monitor. That is really the main benefit of gsync honestly, prolongs the life of your GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    He states his specs and intended uses.
    My bad. Definitely no point in QHD 144Hz for those specs.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Deleted
    Thanks for your help (especially risingforce)!

I know that I can't really target 144Hz in QHD with my spec ... but in generally a display lives way longer than internal hardware. I tend to buy things (especially hardware) that last a while.
    Even before posting I was in love with the BenQ BL2711U. The feature list is long, its mainly for office and daily uses for now so I can experience the positive aspects of the IPS-screen and its 4K - which is the maximum in term of resolution I'll be using for some time.

As I am typing this and this is why I'm moving in a circle since I made up my mind to buy a new screen: I have the feeling that 60Hz screen is in no way "future proof" regardless of its other specs ... would you agree with that?
    What would your recommendation for a "future proof" screen be? IPS+QHD+144Hz? 4K+TN+144Hz?

Thanks again for your help! It is really appreciated

Deleted
    Honestly, go for the higher res. Anything below 4K is already starting to be outdated. The colour depth and real estate given to you by a higher quality screen are much more practically useful and impressive than a higher refresh rate. I have a 144hz monitor, my wife has a 4K display. I have one friend who exclusively plays CSGO and has commented how he likes mine, but everyone bar none has stopped to go "wow" when they see her playing anything. Hell, as i type this she's running WoW in one window while watching TV on the other half, and if i tilt my screen portrait it'll still look worse than either of her two windows.

higher refresh is fine if you exclusively FPS game, if you do ANYTHING else, a higher res and colour depth is leagues ahead. 144hz doesn't make TV better. It doesn't make word documents and productivity easier. It doesn't make RPGs better, and the colour difference alone makes them look washed out. I'm sure you can get 144hz 10 bit 4k monitors, and if you have that sort of money go for it, or wait 3 years and see what fancy new screen tech we have then.

Deleted
    Thanks alot! So going for the colour is a good investment (reading his post again, risingforce already mentioned that).

I'll stick to the BL2711U. I've moved around many parts and specs and techs ... an always came down to the BL2711U vs. another. It never moved out auf the equation which indicates that I already have a decision at hand

What are you people babbling about, he has a gtx 1080 of course a 144hz qhd screen is in order.....like wut? I have a gtx 1060 and a qhd 165hz panel from dell, even on a midrange GPU im over 100 FPS in a most titles, and with gsync there is no reason to "target" staying at 144fps or above it will still look good at 90 fps.

Why the heck would you have a high-end graphics card and still play on full HD res? Having a 27" QHD monitor is like a must have nowadays.

Deleted
    Well I had the Full-HD 144Hz Display first, then came the hardware upgrade. Since I choose a GTX1080 there was no money for a new screen
    I do agree that playing on FullHD is not utilizing my hardware well. For the moment I am comfortable with that.

Deleted
    I'm very happy with my ASUS ROG Swift 34" curved ultra wide 100Hz

OT
    I'd go with the 144Hz display

Quote Originally Posted by Furyan View Post
    Well I had the Full-HD 144Hz Display first, then came the hardware upgrade. Since I choose a GTX1080 there was no money for a new screen
    I do agree that playing on FullHD is not utilizing my hardware well. For the moment I am comfortable with that.
    If you can sell your current monitor id upgrade to this:
    https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/...onitor-s2417dg

It is a very high quality TN display, IPS is not a perfect technology and they cannot match the motion a TN produces. This dell also has a very light screen coating, meaning it will be clearer than most other TN monitors you come across.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxington View Post
    That monitor is fucking gorgeous
    Too bad 21:9 format has some compatibility issues.

Ya 21:9 is a no go for me as well, you actually see less stuff on your screen in overwatch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vynx View Post
    That monitor is fucking gorgeous
    Too bad 21:9 format has some compatibility issues.
    Thanks, all games I play run just fin in 21:9 aspect ratio

Quote Originally Posted by Laxington View Post
    Thanks, all games I play run just fin in 21:9 aspect ratio
    I've got the same monitor, that's why I said that. There are some games which don't support native 21:9, or they do partially (e.g. Character menu in WoW or main menu in Witcher 3 have the 16:9 look, it can be irritating to some).