Poll: Would you want this to happen?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Scaling old content for currently unobtainable rewards

Hi everyone!

I just was reading in regards to another post (cannot remember who created it, but here is a shout out to you!) in regards to the challenge tower for the skins on the Broken Shore.

It had me thinking in regards to old content and revitalising it for items that have been removed - by this I mean essentially mounts and titles.

I just had a chat with the one colleague who plays wow and we are both unsure if this could be a good idea.

Now, please read the bold below (this is purely hypothetical, I am not asking or advocating for this, I am just curious to what people would think):

If there was an option to revert your character back to a level with the same spec set up/outline as when previous content had rewards that are now not obtainable and you could run the content for said reward once again, would you be receptive to the idea?

Now, this post is not about how it could happen or if its even possible, I am asking the internet to suspend belief (I know), but if it worked perfectly, would you want it?

The kinds of things I am suggesting here are as follows:

1. The Naxxramas titles
    2. Algalon title (so you don't have to make a level 80)
    3. Challenge mode gear from WoD
    4. Running LK HC or Alone in the Darkness had a 100% drop on the mount (It did didn't it when it was current if I believe? Ignore if not, I cannot remember)

The list could go on, but you know what I mean.

I can see the arguments for 'if you weren't there, tough' and also 'if it was implemented perfectly, it would mean people would have to do the content as it was intended', but it was a fun chat we had anyway!

Let me know your thoughts!

10+ Year Old Account
    I've said for a long time I wish they'd do more stuff like this. I like the idea a lot actually, and think it would add even more additional content to play around with. Could also make it a part of the Timewalking so that it can feel even more "special" when it is available.

In Blasted Lands there is a guy that lets you see the zone as it used to be, which I'd love to see implemented all across the world. Let me see old Tanaris, and put back in the old content via an NPC that allows me to go back to a past version. There are a lot of untapped resources in WoW's history that Blizzard need to use for extra content. Bring back the old class weapons and things like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    There's nothing for casuals to do, beyond pretend they are raiders in LFR.

No. It would work if there was a way to actually re-create the authentic experience (along with changed specs/gear and what not) but as it stands now most of those events would be another example of faceroll shitfests like current timewalking. Also hint: Algalon is already piss-easy and it's literally about levelling to 80 - you can go there pretty much naked and with half-full raid and still get it done, don't know why it's left in game.
    Last edited by Mlz; 2017-05-31 at 06:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    Nobody is stopping you to play Elemental casually during questing or raiding #1000 with your disabled mage friends.

This will never work because they re-work classes every xpac. The abilities/etc your char had when it was current is vastly different than how a char currently plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Mlz View Post
    No. It would work if there was a way to actually re-create the authentic experience (along with changed specs/gear and what not) but as it stands now most of those events would be another example of faceroll shitfests like current timewalking. Also hint: Algalon is already piss-easy and it's literally about levelling to 80 - you can go there pretty much naked and with half-full raid and still get it done, don't know why it's left in game.
    This sums it up.
    You won't replicate that experience in the modern game.
    Numbers have changed in more ways than a linear scaling, as the behaviour of stats have changed in addition to their scaling independently.
    The player toolkits have changed, with things removed, added and changed.

An achievement earned then was balanced around a certain difficulty which can never be replicated outside of a complete replication of the game at that point.

I can get behind there being that content to experience again in some form, but with the understanding that it won't be that original experience.

Then you get to the argument of how you would go about replicating that experience.
    Do you force the consequences of that on every player, with a larger client or do you have a separate minimal one perhaps with little of the actual world, only the specific encounters.
    Either way it is a lot of extra development work, and requires specific server infrastructure, as well as support from blizzard staff.

Those are not trivial, nor cost free.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2017-05-31 at 07:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Deleted
    I think it'll be fun, regardless of it being an authentic experience I would like it to be scaled to be a challenge and then let people decide for themselves if its worth the time.

I know blizzard have a pretty firm stand on focusing on their current expansion exclusively and generally forget their previous ones entirely but it would be a cool idea non the less.

i dont believe its too hard to do if they have everyone set to a template like they do with current pvp. they could even go as far as instead of scaling back the stat values just set stats to a solid value outright with no scaling value and test it until the values fit the difficulty they want it to be. (DISCLAIMER I DONT KNOW HOW PVP TEMPLATING WORKS ENTIRELY).

maybe it could be very fun way to get guilds doing other stuff as having it the way it is now people just do it on their own.
    Last edited by mmoc327e1ca57c; 2017-05-31 at 09:12 PM.

I'd be happy if they kept a "current" version of all these dungeons/raids that was hastily tuned to be an appropriate difficulty for some reasonably easy to achieve ilvl with upgraded drops and no TF, even if they're down at the LFR level they'll still be better than timewalking (which I can do 12x the DPS they're tuned around and solo). There's a lot of content in the game that is completely irrelevant that doesn't have to be, and it's not some herculean task to go through and tune them up a bit each expansion. People have already suggested the level-with-you system for old world content so you can actually level from 1-100 experiencing some of the content almost everyone skips these days.

It is an idea that is good in spirit but bad mechanically sadly. Sure having those things still being able to be optained would be cool. But making it an equal challenge in the modern game just isn't viable. This means its just a watered down hand out in all likelyhood. Or only hard because its tuned though the rough and not how it was.

Deleted
    No sense on doing this, people earned the prestige rewards on their time, if they make them avaliable again they lose all prestige, which is the reason they did the rewards in the first place. I only have WoD challenges of all that list, i want a lot of that things but i surely know i don't deserve it.

No. People need to accept some items are time limited.

No. Because that would be a big fuck you to everyone who put in the time and effort to get special shit others don't have.

And this is coming from someone who doesn't really have anything special and would actualy benefit from this. I could get a lot of stuff that is not obtainable anymore. Still, its not fair to those who did get it when it was obtainable

7+ Year Old Account
    No more timewalking shit.

It would be nice if Timewalking was more challenging and dropped a decent ilvl... it would be fun and players would look more forward to timewalking weekends and its only temporary so it wont replace other content but give you a choice. Alt content suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

Titels no, i think they should be removed always at the End of a xPack. Mounts im ok with that.
    BUT.. one of the biggest part in WoW (speaking for me ofc) Transmogg, SHOULD NEVER be removed. Gate it behind i dunno, long grinds, Cool Quests or 1% chances of X Boss. But removing them heck no.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cqwrteur View Post
    No more timewalking shit.
    OP is saying to revert things to the exact same way as they were before. Not the timewalking of today's game

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    No. Because that would be a big fuck you to everyone who put in the time and effort to get special shit others don't have.

And this is coming from someone who doesn't really have anything special and would actualy benefit from this. I could get a lot of stuff that is not obtainable anymore. Still, its not fair to those who did get it when it was obtainable
    How is it not fair? They got them when it was obtainable and they've had them for years. Someone else having a chance to get the same reward doesn't take way the reward they already have, or the time they've had it.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

The kinds of things I am suggesting here are as follows:

1. The Naxxramas titles
    2. Algalon title (so you don't have to make a level 80)
    3. Challenge mode gear from WoD
    4. Running LK HC or Alone in the Darkness had a 100% drop on the mount (It did didn't it when it was current if I believe? Ignore if not, I cannot remember)
    Lol.
    At least you cant take my wotlk realm first titles. And plagued protodrake.

Quote Originally Posted by Grobovshik View Post
    Lol.
    At least you cant take my wotlk realm first titles. And plagued protodrake.
    No one is taking anything from anyone. His proposal would allow more people to obtain them, but it doesn't mean yours is automatically invalidated. Your Wrath titles are 9 years old and the proto drake is probably 8.5.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

Anything that keeps old content relevant is a good thing. Some people would really enjoy the MoP and WoD challenge modes, but they were removed from the game entirely. Same thing with immortal in Naxx, or one-shotting the bosses in ToC.

Now it's true that scaling a L110 character to 80 isn't going to exactly match the power-level of a L80 8 years ago-- clearing ToC25H with no wipes would be easier now. So you retire the reward for the old achievement (title "the Argent Defender"), rename the achievement to "A Tribute to Dedicated Insanity: Ahead of the Curve", and make a new achievement and title for today's downscaled version to get players to do it.

http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=4...cated-insanity

Same thing with Naxx Immortal. Retire the old achievement and title, make the downscaled version "The Undying", and players will do it.

http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=2186/the-immortal