Need tanking advice

Do you have any addon or weakaura setup to tell you when to taunt? i ran into that problem and got flamed for not taunting when i was supposed to especially on guldan.

DBM usually takes care of it, but you should try to have some way to see the other tank's debuffs. I use pitbull and focus the other tank and can keep track of their debuffs easily.

Hit them with the pointy end so they hit you with their pointy end.

in all seriousness ; read up on tactics?

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't need an add-on or Aura for that, but if you really need it, search google there are few sites that offer tank debuffs as well, which requires you to change the name of the co-tank or tweak the debuff your own.

This guys WA: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=192045254 contain all the important raid ones. You just have to copy the aura(s) and mod it to be tracked on your focus target or certain name, that's how you get to see large debuffs of your co tank as well.

However DBM/BigWigs which should be default in any raider toolkit tells you when to taunt (most of the time at least).

But in reality why do you tank if you don't know the tanking basics? I don't mind personally teaching a new tank (done so in multiple of my own runs), but a tank who does not say that they are new is... just.. meh... no wonder you people got mad at you.

And if you don't have any fancy add on (which you don't basically need) then set your co tank in focus, make sure you see his or her debuff, learn the tactics and you're ste.

Everything people above had said, normal just based on debuff stacks.
    Ironically u mentioned guldan which for most grp taunt dont work off debuff and for that fight above may not help.

The 2 main thing for tanks on guldan is moving close to drop energy (no taunt) and the empowered bonds, for most grp u have one tank taunt just before empowered bonds and then other tank taunts back during the cast. This mean 1 tank takes the massive knockback while the other tank takes the boss the other 90% of the time and the boss doesnt move. In p2/3 u taunt on flames which dbm ect will tell ya when.

Also yeah unfortunately tanking one of them roles everyone will tell you there gods at when they cant tank to save there life and expects you to be perfect or not at all. You just have to take the shit and try to improve and learn each pull.
    Last edited by Teddybird; 2017-06-07 at 12:15 PM.
    This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
    Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Quote Originally Posted by Aizen244 View Post
    Do you have any addon or weakaura setup to tell you when to taunt? i ran into that problem and got flamed for not taunting when i was supposed to especially on guldan.
    Back when I raided serious content the two tanks told each other to taunt. DBM helped too, of course. Did you watch a video or read a strat before the fight?
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

Deleted
    Best advice would be learning the boss mechanics. When you get a grip on it, you will taunt just instinctively

I almost always set the other tank as my focus so I can easily see any debuffs they have. Most things in NH were taunt when your stacks fall off, a very easy tank mechanic, you don't even have to watch the other person if you don't have a debuff taunt. As it has been stated DBM or BigWIgs will do most of the /RW style announcements to you if you need them. If you are going to rely on those pay attention and try to learn the fights still, their timers can be off and add ons like this can keep you from ever actually learning the fights and improving.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Certain fights its useful to be able to count stacks of debuff on the other tank, in addition to DBM warnings and visual clues. For this I set focus on the other tank and watch their debuffs.

When doing progress fights I configure my buff bars (ElkanoBuffBars) to have a focus group for a white-listed list of debuffs and put it next to the same list but for me. (The same effect could be done by configuring something like WA or TellMeWhen). This lets me compare how many stacks they have to how long I have until my stacks fall off. On some fights it's beneficial to taunt when your stacks fall off rather than waiting until a magical number of stacks on the other tank (e.g. Krosus).
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source

Addon, not really, and then you have to hope someone creates, updates, etc for each new tier.

For tanking, learn the fight, most sites have a tanking section for their guide that will tell you when to taunt in each fight. I use the Blizz default raid UI to watch my partner tank on debuff taunt fights, or watch Bigwigs (it tells me when my other tank has picked up certain debuffs: Stacks on elisande etc).

Call outs are nice, never hurts to communicate as tanks.

On Gul'dan I'm confused even if you don't taunt before the knock back, its pretty obvious when your partner goes flying through the air you should taunt. otherwise he is all pass through the other tank at 30 energy, taunt during the knockback CAST or right after, taunt when the other gets flames. Basically anytime your partner gets forced to run away from the bosses in some fashion you should probably taunt.

Again, addons for this outside bigwigs/dbm I don't think are all that worthwhile for taunting. Really just about reading the tank section of the fight, remember if you are learning tanking you can ignore the shit DPS has to do and for the most part the shit healers have to do. During the learning phase of tanking, but to be a good tank you really need to know what everyone is doing during the fight and really understand it. Tanking is 90% fight knowledge 10% skill/gear.