1. #6461
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Again, it speaks to the questionable decision-making process at BW nowadays.
    That one is for sure. But its always hard to judge from the outside how big the internal pressure to comply with certain company rulings is. Also technology decisions have many deciding factors. I am a software engineer myself and I often chose to reuse a library I hated simply because I know: Yes, it's painful to use but I have experience with it and maybe I can do some things differently with it this time. Sometimes the suboptimal choice where you at least got the know how is the right one. Especially when nobody is paying you for the time to learn a better suited technology. It's kinda hard to go to the suits and explain to them: We want to switch engines to one we have to license that we think is better suited, although we don't really know for sure because we have never used it before. Also, we need more new people that know how to work with it.

    Bioware will probably have thought that after DAI and MEA the groundwork for RPG systems is finally done, so it will be easier this time.
    Last edited by Faldric; 2019-03-13 at 09:00 PM.

  2. #6462
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    If flying was added truly late (2017 or thereabouts), that probably required a significant amount of redesigning and reengineering.
    If that's the case, that's quite possible. But I wonder if it was the smart move or not, and I'm sadly inclined to say no. As awesome as flying is, if it's the cause of a lot of these technical issues, especially heavy leading screens (which I'd be surprised if that alone caused it) then it absolutely isn't worth the tradeoff. I would have taken far more limited vertical mobility and a better quality game over flying, even if flying is rad.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    I know they made the choice to make the game look as good as possible, especially in Fort Tarsis.
    That's not reliant on Frostbite though. UE4 come with a great toolkit for graphical goodies and post effects right out of the box, for example. They could have absolutely met similar levels of visual fidelity with it, and based on their comments they would have likely had a far easier time working with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    If the game is positioned to be a cross gen title, they may have made some bad decisions with that in mind.
    I don't see how this factors into things. There's no indication that Frostbite will support next-gen tech without extensive work now, nor is there any indication that UE4 won't support next-gen tech. Quite the contrary, it's very likely both will be updated to support cross-generation games.

    So again, I'm left scratching my head because so many of these decisions simply don't make a lick of sense.

  3. #6463
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    If that's the case, that's quite possible. But I wonder if it was the smart move or not, and I'm sadly inclined to say no. As awesome as flying is, if it's the cause of a lot of these technical issues, especially heavy leading screens (which I'd be surprised if that alone caused it) then it absolutely isn't worth the tradeoff. I would have taken far more limited vertical mobility and a better quality game over flying, even if flying is rad.



    That's not reliant on Frostbite though. UE4 come with a great toolkit for graphical goodies and post effects right out of the box, for example. They could have absolutely met similar levels of visual fidelity with it, and based on their comments they would have likely had a far easier time working with it.



    I don't see how this factors into things. There's no indication that Frostbite will support next-gen tech without extensive work now, nor is there any indication that UE4 won't support next-gen tech. Quite the contrary, it's very likely both will be updated to support cross-generation games.

    So again, I'm left scratching my head because so many of these decisions simply don't make a lick of sense.
    I don't think it's related to Frostbite at this point. Unfamiliarity with it might have caused some issues, but I think its probably them just adding features way too late in development.

    The loading screens could and should have been hidden, pretty easily in fact, but time probably had other plans.
    Last edited by kaelleria; 2019-03-13 at 09:04 PM.

  4. #6464
    Quote Originally Posted by yasiru View Post
    Well, there is the Ranger pulse blast that goes through armor/shields. I am not very familiar with ME so excuse my ignorance but did it have a bunch of different weapons that did different things, like cause explosions, freeze targets, etc? At least we do have things like that in Anthem. That is not a cut back at you, I am actually curious to know.
    I meant legit penetration stat that allowed bullet on the modded gun and some sniper rifles to literally go through metal surfaces and metal shields. It added x.x meter penetration to bullets shot and if you got enough you actually could shoot through enemies and hit those behind them.

    What you say also was there too, not new to Anthem, but there is no legit penetration does not exist in Anthem so far.

  5. #6465
    Gaidax, saw you got a response from the devs to your post : )

  6. #6466
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Man, I don't get all the "Frostbite is bad" complaints.
    Its never the tools fault its how the carpenter use's them.

    For a example KHIII runs great on Unreal 4 and so does Fortnite but Dead By Daylight runs like shit (has improved over time). The same apply's to any other Game Engine as well.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2019-03-13 at 09:52 PM.
    My PC: Intel Core i5-4690K|16GB DDR3-1600|1TB HD|EVGA GeForce GTX 1070
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

  7. #6467
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Gaidax, saw you got a response from the devs to your post : )
    What? We need to see this! This is too spicy to pass!
    @Gaidax plz share

  8. #6468
    Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    What? We need to see this! This is too spicy to pass!
    @Gaidax plz share
    Thank you all for the information. The team is aware of this and a fix will go in as soon as possible.

  9. #6469
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Gaidax, saw you got a response from the devs to your post : )
    Hey I got one too!

    All he said was he'd read my post later lul.
    "I've carefully played this game to an endless despair"

  10. #6470
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Gaidax, saw you got a response from the devs to your post : )
    I just thought to myself "was it so hard?" when I have seen it.

  11. #6471
    Quote Originally Posted by yasiru View Post
    Well, there is the Ranger pulse blast that goes through armor/shields. I am not very familiar with ME so excuse my ignorance but did it have a bunch of different weapons that did different things, like cause explosions, freeze targets, etc? At least we do have things like that in Anthem. That is not a cut back at you, I am actually curious to know.
    ME2 had different ammo types specific to certain classes which you could activate as an ability. Cryo Ammo gave the chance to freeze, so bullets and in general "physical" damage dealt more damage or were able to outright shatter enemies, Disruptor Ammo was good against shielded and synthetic (Geth) enemies, which could also overheat enemies weapons and Incendiary Ammo was good against armor and enemies that healed themselves passively (Krogans for example which had extra life regen) and it also had a semi-CC effect of enemies panicking because they are burning. Those are the 3 main ones that at least were in the base game without any DLCs or extra unlock requirements. Other ammo types were Shredder Ammo, that just increased your weapon damage by a huge amount against organic enemies, Warp Ammo that dealt extra damage to enemies that got hit by Bionic abilities and Armor-Piercing Ammo which was pretty much the same as Shredder Ammo, just better at dealing with Synthetic or Robot enemies and, obviously, armored ones.

    Weapon wise there were a few different ones. You had your standard weapons which dealt normal bullet (physical) damage, then there were things like the M920 Cain which was a Nuke, the Arc projector which shot a lightning beam and the collector particle beam. Those were the only true outlier for ME2; dont remember anything from ME3.

    Also in ME2 you had different combos with Bionics and Tech abilities.
    Sometimes streaming on Twitch.tv, leave me a follow or a message if you like!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    *tips m'fedora*

    M'lady if you would be so kind to slob me knob seeing as I held this door open for you.

  12. #6472
    Pretty hefty to reply about to some reddit threads....

    https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGa...xt=999#eih2azb
    First, I want to thank you for writing this up. I appreciate the honesty of how you (and others) feel about the current state of things. I also want to say that I can’t talk about everything, simply because it is not my area of expertise, or because I don’t have the information you’re looking for. I stand by our statement of being transparent though and will continue to do so here and on other channels.

    Now, I want to address some of your points that I can:



    Communication -
    Pre-game release vs Post game release –

    To start, things used to be a lot friendlier here for dev team members who normally don’t talk on social channels or forums. They could answer questions, give information and know that they aren’t going to have people getting upset at them. Why would a dev team member take time away from working on the next update to post when they know it’s likely to be met with hostile replies, or they get flamed because can’t answer other questions that players are asking? I don’t mind posting here when things aren’t so nice, but that’s because it’s my job. For the devs it isn’t their job, and I’d like to ask that people remember that when replying to them. When some people say “be nice or the devs will stop posting” it’s 100% true. Be respectful and constructive with your feedback and more team members will likely reply.



    Aggravating the community by acknowledging trivial things over major issues –

    I have been acknowledging issues that aren’t the major ones you mentioned, but that’s because I can quickly check in on those and work with the team to see how fast we can get them fixed. I also report major issues, but until I get word back on them there is nothing else I can say. Issues like the Masterwork Embers not dropping I can quickly bring to the attention of the team and we can get fixed. I think it’s better that I address the things I can as quickly as I can instead of nothing at all. Also, I try to avoid saying “thanks for the feedback, I’ll share with the team” too many times in reply to posts ������

    Loot though? All I can do is point out what studio leadership shares on channels. They are very aware of all the conversation going on around loot and when they have more details to share, they will.

    Now for the EA Help Tweet about Quickplay. The reason we asked for this information is to help us track down the remaining issues players are experiencing in Quickplay in one location, and to get more specifics on what they were doing when they encountered the issue. Having all of that information helps the team track down the bugs faster, which means they’re more likely to be fixed in the next update, which means they can move on to other parts of the patch sooner (other bugs, content, etc.).



    Being confidential about the patch notes –

    I said this before, but nothing was hidden on purpose in the patch notes. The truth is patch notes come together late in the update process and I do everything I can to ensure they are accurate, but sometimes things slip by with all the moving pieces. I’d much rather put together patch notes even if they are missing a few things instead of doing generic ones that just say “various bug fixes and improvements”. I’ll work with the team to get this process better, but we still may miss something from time to time, especially if it is something that gets added to an update late in the process. We will never hide a nerf or change in the patch notes on purpose, even if it’s something we know the community won’t like. And if we do put in something that the community doesn’t like we’ll do our best to explain why that particular change was made.

    Not Learning from previous mistakes –
    I’m not going to comment on the first two points because I didn’t work on Andromeda and I know how some players feel about EA, but I do want to talk about you addressing how we’re handling feedback.

    For feedback, we’ve made a large number of changes based on what players have told us. Not wanting to run to the Forge every time to launch an expedition? We added the ability to launch anywhere in Fort Tarsis, that was because of player feedback. Wanted to visually see loot drop from bosses in Strongholds? Added because of player feedback. If you are talking about feedback on loot in general (and I’m pretty sure you are) I’ve already said that the team is discussing and that more will be likely be shared in the coming days. I know everyone wants to know when, but I don’t have that answer. We do not ignore any feedback from players, sometimes it just takes a bit longer as things need to be discussed for a longer time. We don’t want to say something we can’t do or give incorrect information. Like Chad Robertson said in a Tweet, we aren’t happy with where loot is either, so know that it’s high on our priority list.



    Discarding Feedback –
    Honestly, reading this stings a bit because I never discard feedback. I love this community and am very thankful for everything that has been brought up such as feedback, bug reports, funny posts (༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ Summon the loot update ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ) and everything in between. I’m open to feedback on what you’d like to see the community team do to make you feel welcomed and appreciated. We do our livestreams, blog posts (like the inscriptions write up), patch notes, helping out with issues when we have the info and more. I am always listening and willing to make changes so please, let us know.

    Lack of Content –
    I’m not going to go into this too much as it’s areas that I don’t have control over, or I don’t have the exact info on how the team is addressing. Know that I relay the feedback from the community to the team on ALL of these issues. The team is aware, and they are doing a lot of work to address these concerns.

    Turning a good game bad –
    All I’ll say on this is that Anthem is here to stay. Do we have a lot of work to do to fix parts of the game? Yes, and the team is committed to making improvements and releasing new content.

    Conclusion –
    Again, I want to thank this community for everything. The team is listening to all of your feedback for Anthem on how you’d like to see the game improve, or how you’d like to see us engage with the community differently. I know that players want to see updates faster, but these things can take time to make sure they are done right. We’re very appreciative of this community and look forward to the days, weeks, months and years ahead. Strong Alone, Stronger Together.

  13. #6473


    Get past the name and you have a video from a guy who wants to like this game based on pedigree. And the only person I've bothered to listen talk about Anthem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    What can I say, I'm sort of an obsessed person
    Indeed you are.

  14. #6474
    Quote Originally Posted by Darleth View Post
    ME2 had different ammo types specific to certain classes which you could activate as an ability. Cryo Ammo gave the chance to freeze, so bullets and in general "physical" damage dealt more damage or were able to outright shatter enemies, Disruptor Ammo was good against shielded and synthetic (Geth) enemies, which could also overheat enemies weapons and Incendiary Ammo was good against armor and enemies that healed themselves passively (Krogans for example which had extra life regen) and it also had a semi-CC effect of enemies panicking because they are burning. Those are the 3 main ones that at least were in the base game without any DLCs or extra unlock requirements. Other ammo types were Shredder Ammo, that just increased your weapon damage by a huge amount against organic enemies, Warp Ammo that dealt extra damage to enemies that got hit by Bionic abilities and Armor-Piercing Ammo which was pretty much the same as Shredder Ammo, just better at dealing with Synthetic or Robot enemies and, obviously, armored ones.

    Weapon wise there were a few different ones. You had your standard weapons which dealt normal bullet (physical) damage, then there were things like the M920 Cain which was a Nuke, the Arc projector which shot a lightning beam and the collector particle beam. Those were the only true outlier for ME2; dont remember anything from ME3.

    Also in ME2 you had different combos with Bionics and Tech abilities.
    Cool, thanks for the added info. May have to go back and check out the earlier ME games some time. Who has the time these days though......sigh

  15. #6475
    https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGa.../?context=1000

    Dear /u/Darthchrisshaw I just wanted to pop in here and apologize for a terrible player experience that I am directly responsible for. As the Stronghold lead the buck stops with me. I can offer explanations but at the end of the day, that doesn't change the experience.

    What I really want to do is come in here and explain what we are doing about this so you don't continue to suffer these situations in the Strongholds.

    We've disabled every "backtracking" fog wall in the Temple of Scar and Heart of Rage. So as of the next patch, forgive me for not having the exact dates as I'm at home, it should be the next scheduled patch in March. Internally it's called 1.0.4. So once that patch lands you should never run into this situation again in either of those strongholds. (This is different from forward-blocking fog walls which are necessary, those remain in place.) I'm not currently aware of any back-tracking issues in Tyrant Mine, but please call me on it if I'm missing an issue.

    Going forward we won't be using these types of setups unless they are for some reason mission critical to the mission. I've yet to see a mission-critical backtracking fog wall so my expectation is that you'll almost never run into this again. And if you do it's likely a bug.

    We will continue to strip these out of the existing content as we move forward with continued bug fixing and quality of life improvements. I can't offer specific timelines for when we'll have a complete pass on the game at this time.

    Until the patch lands, if you end up in this situation bring up your map and hold down LS (Left Stick) on the controller or Y on your keyboard, this will respawn you and should put you on the correct side of the fog wall. I have yet to see this fail to respawn you in the correct location.

    Again I want to reinforce none of this is an excuse and I truly do apologize that we weren't able to correct this prior to launch or until now. I can only promise we will do better by you and the community in the future and try to win your trust back.
    "I've carefully played this game to an endless despair"

  16. #6476
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post


    Get past the name and you have a video from a guy who wants to like this game based on pedigree. And the only person I've bothered to listen talk about Anthem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Gotta spread that outrage so YouTube scrubs can get views.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Absurd yes. But so is saying the game is awful because Yong says so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Do you, person that claims to like the game while posting negative reviews and adding to the meme complaints?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Who cares if Bioware dies? Metacritic scores on Andromeda mean they deserve to fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    And Anthem is a shit game by a shit developer. It's not an opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    And I wouldn't even take a game I think is shit. I actually have tastes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    I'd play it randomly if someone gifted it. I don't even want to rent it, much less buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Could you imagine not liking a game so much, you follow it and post reviews? I'd go do something else if I didn't like the game. Besides, the people who don't like the game will never like it. So, that's just as tainted as the person who can't admit any fault for an even handed review.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Kept awake knowing you are dedicated to a game you admitted you don't like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Hahaha. Good luck with that. Myobi and Eleccy have clearly established the precedent of shitting on games you have no interest in playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Wow. The fucking irony is amazing.
    What can I say, I'm sort of an obsessed person

    But hey, thanks for sharing the video mate, it's a pretty nice take on it.

  17. #6477
    Quote Originally Posted by Darleth View Post
    Weapon wise there were a few different ones. You had your standard weapons which dealt normal bullet (physical) damage, then there were things like the M920 Cain which was a Nuke, the Arc projector which shot a lightning beam and the collector particle beam. Those were the only true outlier for ME2; dont remember anything from ME3.

    Also in ME2 you had different combos with Bionics and Tech abilities.
    Interesting that past Bioware games like Mass Effect were more about Gunplay, Guns IMO felt like they had more of an Impact in ME2 and 3, there seems like there was also much more nuance in level design in ME games in general vs Anthem's Map Design where IMO just feels like a mess.

    Anthem just feels off in general when it comes to gunplay and in a game where Gunplay plays a big part in Anthem it should really feel as good as ME2 or ME3 if not better. The Impact and Sound Effects of the E3 Anthem trailer sounded and looked better IMO.
    Last edited by szechuan; 2019-03-14 at 06:21 AM.
    Americans are the Chinese of the west. The main reason people tolerate them is because they are too big to ignore.

    Bill Nye is not the GOP type of guy. He is a science guy. Trumpers think science is a lie.

  18. #6478
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Though ME had some awesome enemies, Phantoms are making my blood boil with blocking bullets with biotics, having invisibility and having a 1hit K.O impale if you mess up and let them come close.

    Dem phantoms.

    Some combo with netcode and AI behavior. I wouldnt get near phantoms as a vanguard unless I was host. Even non-vanguard I would keep distance dependant on how smooth the server was responding. I've had phantoms shooting another player and then next I know I am sync killed. Netcode was still shit with Andromeda while the sync kill behavior was slightly better. That said I have falcon punched a number when I was host as payback.

  19. #6479
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Man, I don't get all the "Frostbite is bad" complaints.
    Frostbite seems to work just fine. Sure, it was designed initially for FPS titles but it's proven highly versatile.
    It's fatal flaw appears to be you can't update any info once a map is loaded. It's essentially a blackbox. This is why nobody can join a mission once its been started and why nobody can backfill a freeroam session once someone leaves. Why you can't tell what loot you have until you leave, can't check your inventory, and can't update your equipment, can't chain missions, etc. while in free roam or in a mission... you have to load the module already populated with that information. It may even be why there are no waypoint or ping system.

    (Ironically enough, if they had included a chat system, they could have potentially hacked around that problem then by having a hidden chat channel that your client polled for new waypoint/ping info etc.)

  20. #6480
    @Myobi

    Indeed you are. Welp, I guess that's what I expect from people who are extremely mad Anthem isn't being loved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    What can I say, I'm sort of an obsessed person
    Indeed you are.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •