1. #7501
    Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    I wouldn't know about that because I don't play Anthem. My comment was all about SWTOR, their F2P transition and whether it saved them and why.

    I accept what you say about people coming back to sub for a month to get the expansion, but a) I really don't believe that it's much money in the grand scheme of things and b) there is uncertainty it will be the case with the new expansion, as it seems you will only have access with an active sub (it is NOT confirmed yet).

    Finally, I would argue that other MMOs have laid a very robust challenge on the"best single player story" aspect, notably TSW (or SWL) and ESO.
    I brought up Anthem because that's the thread topic.

    And I've played both the Secret World and ESO. Both have....ok stories. But neither is presented as well or with as high quality as SWTOR. Granted, that's talking about the base game and maybe the expansion about Revan. The rest is meh.

  2. #7502
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I brought up Anthem because that's the thread topic.

    And I've played both the Secret World and ESO. Both have....ok stories. But neither is presented as well or with as high quality as SWTOR. Granted, that's talking about the base game and maybe the expansion about Revan. The rest is meh.
    I appreciate that and I wasn't trying to antagonise, more to present my view on SWTOR and its F2P so that people don't get their hopes too high up that "bioware did it before (save a game with a F2P re-launch) so they can/should do it again". That's all.

    On the story aspect we can agree to disagree, that's just our own personal and subjective opinion.

  3. #7503
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Did it really help Swtor? I honestly didn't keep up, as soon as they announced F2P my guild instantly dissolved and that was after I went through the excruciating process of finding a good guild on a new MMO at which point I bailed. I miss that game, was genuinely fun for the story if nothing.

    My understanding was Swtor ended up being very much still a sub based game but you could basically free trial it for as long as you wanted as their "F2P" model.
    Honestly it did. It was the singular move that actually saved SWTOr from very likely being shutdown. It's crazy as I ook back at swtor and it's problems and how similar they are to anthem. Bad game engine, a multitude of bugs, poor management, so little content and bioware at the end of all that without a damn clue at just how fast MMO gamers (or any gamer really) can consume content.

    All that was going on and swtor was dying so fast it went F2P faser than any other game I can think of save one. Their F2P move saved swtor and thats not a streatch to put so much weight on that phrase.

    SWTOR still a sub based game at its heart and that of course is how bioware pushes you with credit limits and what-not. However, I've done the whole F2P thing to see how good or bad it is and you can play the best part of swtor and never pay a dime and the restrictions that are their don't really hinder you all that much leveling as long as you realize it's not designed to support you anywhere near end game. If you strayedto far outside of the 8 class stories, you felt the pinch of the restrictions and it got worse the higher level you got as you wanted to do more and more. F2P is for those 8 class stories only. More than that and the restrictions really start to show themselves.

    But, F2P really did save swtor.

    Just thinking about it, I wouldn't be shocked at all to find out bioware is now pitching that idea as a way to save anthem and get it back on track to something thats more profitable. So much damage has been done at this point that I'm sold on the idea that something big will have to happen to turn things around. A FF14 relaunch isn't going to happen but a F2P move with a branded relaunch might be enough if they can fix their major issues before that re-branded launch.

    It's a bit of a crazy guess but at this point I'm not sure bioware has much to lose if they went that route.
    Last edited by quras; 2019-05-01 at 01:13 PM.
    Current subscriber: Refer code: http://www.swtor.com/r/t4QfLH
    What you get: 7 free days of play plus a bundle of goodies: http://www.swtor.com/info/friends

  4. #7504
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Honestly it did. It was the singular move that actually saved SWTOr from very likely being shutdown.
    Just to be clear, this is the only thing going F2P saved it from: getting shut down. It didn't improve the game at all, and arguably made it worse, but it's at least still online and putting out new content. The amount of new content is abysmal and the quality of that content is debatable, but HEY it's still online!

    It's far better than the alternative of it going away completely, I agree, but let's not pretend that it really did much more than put it on indefinite life support. And the only reason it worked is because the base game and story are enjoyable, and the IP is freakin Star Wars.

    I don't think Anthem would survive the transition, not in its current state, it needs a LOT more on offer.

  5. #7505
    After watching the BL3 gameplay reveal, i'd say that Anthem will be fully extinct on or before September 13th.

  6. #7506
    Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    I appreciate that and I wasn't trying to antagonise, more to present my view on SWTOR and its F2P so that people don't get their hopes too high up that "bioware did it before (save a game with a F2P re-launch) so they can/should do it again". That's all.

    On the story aspect we can agree to disagree, that's just our own personal and subjective opinion.
    Absolutely! F2P isn't some magic wand you wave in order to save a dying product. In many cases it's a last-ditch attempt to squeeze some monetization out of a failing game. Sometimes it has a positive effect, especially if the game was previously over-priced or had a bad business model to begin with. Or because it lets people try out a game that they never would have considered paying money for.

    Unfortunately for Anthem, none of that will work. Anthem's business model is already fairly decent(buy once and play forever). But there's nothing within Anthem to attract people's interests. Play for free and do what? Some shallow, repetitive missions? The same 4 strongholds for shitty, uninteresting loot? To turn up the difficulty only to fight bullet-sponge enemies?

    Meh all around, and this is coming from someone who paid only $15 to play it for a month. F2P can't squeeze blood from a stone.

  7. #7507
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Just to be clear, this is the only thing going F2P saved it from: getting shut down. It didn't improve the game at all, and arguably made it worse, but it's at least still online and putting out new content. The amount of new content is abysmal and the quality of that content is debatable, but HEY it's still online!

    It's far better than the alternative of it going away completely, I agree, but let's not pretend that it really did much more than put it on indefinite life support. And the only reason it worked is because the base game and story are enjoyable, and the IP is freakin Star Wars.

    I don't think Anthem would survive the transition, not in its current state, it needs a LOT more on offer.
    That I can very much agree with. It didn't make things better in any major way. Somethings got better, more content came through expansions and more SW story content with some neat additions but you are very much right in that the overall game didn't really get better. Class stories cut, bugs continued to stay around while new ones cropped up, content got worse and eventually story got worse. You are also right in that SW being what it is - likely one of the strongest IP's out there - thats why it was able to survive through the crap bioware designed.

    I'm not entirely sure anthem could survive but I could see bioware pitching it as similar "comeback" story in moving it to a F2P model in that more money could be made while giving them more time as well. It might even cover that "relaunch" label to get some to return and some to just check it out.
    Last edited by quras; 2019-05-01 at 07:35 PM.
    Current subscriber: Refer code: http://www.swtor.com/r/t4QfLH
    What you get: 7 free days of play plus a bundle of goodies: http://www.swtor.com/info/friends

  8. #7508
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    That I can very much agree with. It didn't make things better in any major way. Somethings got better, more content came through expansions and more SW story content with some neat additions but you are very much right in that the overall game didn't really get better. Class stories cut, bugs continued to stay around while new ones cropped up, content got worse and eventually story got worse. You are also right in that SW being what it is - likely one of the strongest IP's out there - thats why it was able to survive through the crap bioware designed.

    I'm not entirely sure anthem could survive but I could see bioware pitching it as similar "comeback" story in moving it to a F2P model in that more money could be made while giving them more time as well. It might even cover that "relaunch" label to get some to return and some to just check it out.
    If they decided to turn this into a fashion show with a TON more cosmetics and stuff on offer, I'm sure it would do fine in the short term while they worked on providing more actual content. I've personally never been one for loot grinders, so I've stopped playing since reaching max level and finishing all the story stuff, but I did honestly enjoy the time I spent in the game.

    For people who like loot grinders, I'm sure that if the game went F2P with more cosmetics up for grabs, the game would stumble a bit but would ultimately just coast along and be "fine" but would probably be forgotten and be played by a niche of players just like SWToR without as many players. But before that happens, the game needs FAR more content and activities at max level.

  9. #7509
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyvax View Post
    After watching the BL3 gameplay reveal, i'd say that Anthem will be fully extinct on or before September 13th.
    Eh, it'll be dead for me when the servers shut down, still the best gameplay imo in this type of game period. Content is just lacking a bit.

  10. #7510
    Not much good news here on the anthem front nor good news for Dragon Age either now that I think about it.

    https://www.gamesradar.com/dragon-ag...lead-creators/
    Current subscriber: Refer code: http://www.swtor.com/r/t4QfLH
    What you get: 7 free days of play plus a bundle of goodies: http://www.swtor.com/info/friends

  11. #7511
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Not much good news here on the anthem front nor good news for Dragon Age either now that I think about it.

    https://www.gamesradar.com/dragon-ag...lead-creators/
    Whelp that's that.

    Its becoming very clear that Bioware is just going to abandon Anthem and leave it to a slow death. Its also very likely DA4 will be rushed out the gate in a attempt to avoid getting the death blow from EA.

    It sucks I feel for those who had no say on the matter but Bioware is on their way out. If DA4 fails (and it likely will) that's it for them.

    And once again History Repeats itself.
    My Desktop: Intel Core i5-4690K|16GB DDR3-1600|1TB HD|EVGA GeForce GTX 1070
    My Laptop: Acer Nitro 5|i5-8300H|16GB DDR4 SDRAM|256GB SSD|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

  12. #7512
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Not much good news here on the anthem front nor good news for Dragon Age either now that I think about it.

    https://www.gamesradar.com/dragon-ag...lead-creators/
    I mean...it's not really surprising though. As with most games like this, there's a core team that works on development and then a team that handles live-services while the core team moves to other projects. The Edmonton folks are the core team and many already rotated off, so more leadership is similarly rotating over to DA while the handful of folks left at Edmonton and the Austin team handle live service.

    It looks worse because of the state of the game, but this isn't an indication that they're abandoning ship or anything. At least not yet. But it's definitely a missed opportunity for an "all hands on deck" move that could potentially win back some player trust.

  13. #7513
    Herald of the Titans Makabreska's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Orbis Terrarum
    Posts
    2,684
    Ofc it's gonna be abandoned. Why EA big wigs would risk pumping resources into a failed game that is bleeding players? Onto another "live service" title!
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing...

  14. #7514
    A better question would be, can we trust the leads of Anthem to not fuck up Dragon Age?
    Anthem has been an unmitigated disaster from start to finish, did they learn from that? We shall see.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

  15. #7515
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I mean...it's not really surprising though. As with most games like this, there's a core team that works on development and then a team that handles live-services while the core team moves to other projects. The Edmonton folks are the core team and many already rotated off, so more leadership is similarly rotating over to DA while the handful of folks left at Edmonton and the Austin team handle live service.

    It looks worse because of the state of the game, but this isn't an indication that they're abandoning ship or anything. At least not yet. But it's definitely a missed opportunity for an "all hands on deck" move that could potentially win back some player trust.
    That is sort of my question. It is very possible that those guys stayed on longer with the live team just to get some of the major crash bug type stuff sorted out and that largely has happened. Still issues with disconnection type errors but a lot of the original hard power down your PS4 type stuff is sorted out. So if they were not slated to be part of the live team it seems not unreasonable for them to transition to their new project. The couple devs I know who work there had already started shifting to their new project during the prelaunch week of anthem. Now if these guys were supposed to be guys on the live team that could be a much bigger issue. Still they have been actively hiring for the anthem team so I think I will hold off panic on this announcement as it may very well just be the normal flow of dev into live post launch staffing.

  16. #7516
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    A better question would be, can we trust the leads of Anthem to not fuck up Dragon Age?
    Anthem has been an unmitigated disaster from start to finish, did they learn from that? We shall see.
    After DA2, ME3, Inquisition, Andromeda AND Anthem the bigger question is why would you expect otherwise? its been a sliding gradient of increasingly shittier quality since 2011.
    http://theeorzeanfrontier.blogspot.co.uk/ Neckbeard rambling about this weeaboo trash

  17. #7517
    Weeb Queen Video Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The land of ports
    Posts
    14,069
    Where is the earnings call so i can make fun of ea some more?

  18. #7518
    Over 9000! Yunru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Continent of Orsterra
    Posts
    9,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Where is the earnings call so i can make fun of ea some more?
    You can read it here if you wana read this non-sense:
    Fourth Quarter Fiscal Year 2019 Expectations – Ending March 31, 2019
    Financial metrics:
    • Net revenue is expected to be approximately $1.163 billion.
    o Change in deferred net revenue (online-enabled games) is expected to be
    approximately $56 million.
    o Mobile platform fees are expected to be approximately $(49) million.
    • Net income is expected to be approximately $170 million.
    • Diluted earnings per share is expected to be approximately $0.56.
    • The Company estimates a share count of 303 million for purposes of calculating
    fourth quarter fiscal year 2019 diluted earnings per share.
    Operational metric:
    • Net bookings is expected to be approximately $1.170 billion.
    In addition, the following outlook for GAAP-based financial data and a long-term tax rate of 18%
    are used internally by EA to adjust our GAAP expectations to assess EA’s operating results and
    plan for future periods:

    https://ir.ea.com/financial-informat...s/default.aspx

  19. #7519
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    You can read it here if you wana read this non-sense:
    Fourth Quarter Fiscal Year 2019 Expectations – Ending March 31, 2019
    Financial metrics:
    • Net revenue is expected to be approximately $1.163 billion.
    o Change in deferred net revenue (online-enabled games) is expected to be
    approximately $56 million.
    o Mobile platform fees are expected to be approximately $(49) million.
    • Net income is expected to be approximately $170 million.
    • Diluted earnings per share is expected to be approximately $0.56.
    • The Company estimates a share count of 303 million for purposes of calculating
    fourth quarter fiscal year 2019 diluted earnings per share.
    Operational metric:
    • Net bookings is expected to be approximately $1.170 billion.
    In addition, the following outlook for GAAP-based financial data and a long-term tax rate of 18%
    are used internally by EA to adjust our GAAP expectations to assess EA’s operating results and
    plan for future periods:

    https://ir.ea.com/financial-informat...s/default.aspx
    That's expectations, the actual call is next week.

  20. #7520
    Herald of the Titans Makabreska's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Orbis Terrarum
    Posts
    2,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    A better question would be, can we trust the leads of Anthem to not fuck up Dragon Age?
    Anthem has been an unmitigated disaster from start to finish, did they learn from that? We shall see.
    If EA would actually for once stop giving those incompetent people such free reign and no supervision, then MAYBE we can get a decent game.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •