Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    The track record is mostly excellent, the only mediocre DA game was the second one and probably much because they cooked it up in sub-2 years.

Besides stakes are very high there.
    And high stakes make for a very nervous atmosphere. BW knows it's now or never, and this may not be necessary a good stimulus.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing...

Andromeda proven that previous track record and rich world building are meaningless.
    It didn't live up to people's expectations what else is new. It wasn't terrible though despite what the internet loves to rave about.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    It didn't live up to people's expectations what else is new. It wasn't terrible though despite what the internet loves to rave about.
    Lulzy character animations, shallow and repetitive gameplay, boring story with run-off-the-mill villain defo didn't. Game was definitely a step down form previous trilogy, no wonder it disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Lulzy character animations, shallow and repetitive gameplay, boring story with run-off-the-mill villain defo didn't. Game was definitely a step down form previous trilogy, no wonder it disappointed.
    It definitely wasn't just the internet being mean (usual fanboy bullshit), as the game was quite flawed. Still, I wouldn't call it a dumpster fire either as some have done. Behind reasonable expectations (especially at launch)? Sure. Irredeemably bad? Nah.

Anthem on the other hand, with it's barely existing story, overpriced (predeatory) cosmetics, repetitive gameplay and awful loot system? Yeah no, they didn't just make a bad game, they were even malicious about with their cosmetic practices.
    /tar Tinker-zealot /point /lol
    WoW:Shadowlands - Danuser's Divina Commedia?

Sucks that it could not work out.

I find some of the gaming community's reactionary outburst off putting. Projects fail and its best to know when to throw in the towel. Bioware didn't lie and EA made the right to shut down production before gamer or study wasted more time/resources on a project that wasn't going to work.

They could have done a half-assed '2.0' that no one believed in to milk out some extra dollars. They could have said nothing and let the community hang on to empty hope. They could have continued to waste everyone's time.

Its better this way.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Pit Lord
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Regardless of how good (or bad) it actually was, Andromeda was considered enough of a disappointment to cancel all DLC plans and get rid of the studio that made it, Bioware Montreal.

The track record is mostly excellent, the only mediocre DA game was the second one and probably much because they cooked it up in sub-2 years.

Track record for Bioware is anything but excellent. It is not the IP that makes the game, it is the people, and those people have now failed twice in row with steep downward trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelduril View Post
    MEA wasn't ''fucked up''. It was fine. Not great, but decent.
    It was basically the same as Anthem. Mechanically really fun but a boring, bad story and a bad endgame (multiplayer in MEAs case).

- - - Updated - - -

You don't think Inquisition was mediocre? I found it really boring. I think 2 was much better, at least it had an interesting story and good characters. The only thing i didn't like were the recycled dungeons but aside from that i had fun. As opposed to Inquisition...

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    You don't think Inquisition was mediocre? I found it really boring. I think 2 was much better, at least it had an interesting story and good characters. The only thing i didn't like were the recycled dungeons but aside from that i had fun. As opposed to Inquisition...
    DAI + Trespasser was pretty damn good. Mediocre? Pray tell how so. The whole Dread Wolf story was really good. DAI alone without that was not stellar because the real main plot was hidden all along and Corypheus was just a byproduct of that, but Trespasser totally tied everything together in a grand way.

DAI + Trespasser was pretty damn good. Mediocre? Pray tell how so. The whole Dread Wolf story was really good. DAI alone without that was not stellar because the real main plot was hidden all along and Corypheus was just a byproduct of that, but Trespasser totally tied everything together in a grand way.
    It was kinda shit to hide that away behind a paid DLC, but yea tresspasser was REALLY good.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeMeLaugh View Post
    It was kinda shit to hide that away behind a paid DLC, but yea tresspasser was REALLY good.
    Well, they did same move in ME 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Well, they did same move in ME 3.
    Eh, I'd probably compare it more to the Shadow Broker DLC in 2. 3's was just a bunch of fan service. Granted, it was amazing fan service, but it didn't really change anything about the greater story.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Eh, I'd probably compare it more to the Shadow Broker DLC in 2. 3's was just a bunch of fan service. Granted, it was amazing fan service, but it didn't really change anything about the greater story.
    But doing significant DLC to a last entry in a trilogy is quite a lot harder, because it really has to be in the middle of the game. ME1 and ME2 DLC's could easily be done to be more like tie-in between entries (especially Shadow Broker).

Since i didn't like the main game i never bought the dlc...

Bioware:
    - Messes up Dragon Age 2
    - Messes up Mass Effect 3's ending and epilogue dlc
    - The Old Republic just sort of exists, like a force ghost pre-sequels version.
    - Releases Dargon Aeg Inquistion which is very divisive (some people love it for breaking away from both of the prior games, even more hate it/find it terrible in comparison to Origin)
    - Releases dumpster fire Mass Effect Andro-can-we-do-one-again?-meda
    - Completely cocks up Anthem
    - Is already dicking around with the HD version of Mass Effect series
    - Has hit the reset on Dragon Age Next One twice and if news is to believed is about to do it once again after having to live service enable it all this time.
    - Want to squeeze out another mainline Mass Effect but don't know what to do with it.

How can anyone be optimistic for these developers? Especially when all the old Bioware employees who worked on the original Baulder's Gate, KOTOR, Mass Effect and DA:O have all moved on to other companies?
    Argus' Nightmare Continues With Shadowlands
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

As it should be. The game failed and that's it.

Looking forward to DA:4.
    Final Fantasy mmo also failed, it didn't prevented them to rework and launch again. So it wasn't "that's it".

Game base systems were fine and fun - flying was awesome, shooting was fine. They just needed story and loot and raids.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

problem with DAI IMO was that it was trying very VERY hard to capitalize on success of Skyrim. so there is a lot, and i mean a LOT of filler there, but at the same time its damn near impossible to tell until after you do it - which side quests are necessary to progress companion stories and which are just... there as filler. yes, there are side quests, not just main quests that progress companions.

its just... becomes tedious. there is a reason why the most common refrain to someone just starting to play DAI is "leave the Hinterlands" because you can spend way WAY too much time in that zone and to add insult to injury - a lot of the content that you might start there, cannot be finished until AFTER you leave hinterlands, do story elsewhere and that way unlock progress for those stories you have started, or that were too high level for you. Andromeda doubles down on that particular mechanic like there is no tomorrow, because somehow Bioware mistook, people liking their game DESPITE of this mess - as people liking it BECAUSE of it.

Anthem..... Anthem has promise but it also feels unfinished. probably cause it is. but it suffers greatly from people no longer willing to overlook its flaws for its good parts.

recent bioware games are not significantly worse then their earlier games. of you objectively play through their classics - boy do they have issues. yes, DAO as well. but people were more willing to forgive them for those issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    Has hit the reset on Dragon Age Next One twice and if news is to believed is about to do it once again after having to live service enable it all this time.
    If that's true its pretty sad for the company. Supposedly this has been thee exact issue that has caused the prior games to fail, just really poor leadership that lacks direction and constant overhauls. Its what caused at least andromeda to fail and then anthem repeated all of andromedas mistakes. If they're going for round 3 its really damning on their current leadership which is nutty since so many people have left the company after Anthem.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    problem with DAI IMO was that it was trying very VERY hard to capitalize on success of Skyrim. so there is a lot, and i mean a LOT of filler there, but at the same time its damn near impossible to tell until after you do it - which side quests are necessary to progress companion stories and which are just... there as filler. yes, there are side quests, not just main quests that progress companions.

its just... becomes tedious. there is a reason why the most common refrain to someone just starting to play DAI is "leave the Hinterlands" because you can spend way WAY too much time in that zone and to add insult to injury - a lot of the content that you might start there, cannot be finished until AFTER you leave hinterlands, do story elsewhere and that way unlock progress for those stories you have started, or that were too high level for you. Andromeda doubles down on that particular mechanic like there is no tomorrow, because somehow Bioware mistook, people liking their game DESPITE of this mess - as people liking it BECAUSE of it.

Anthem..... Anthem has promise but it also feels unfinished. probably cause it is. but it suffers greatly from people no longer willing to overlook its flaws for its good parts.

recent bioware games are not significantly worse then their earlier games. of you objectively play through their classics - boy do they have issues. yes, DAO as well. but people were more willing to forgive them for those issues.
    I seriously don't understand why so many people are so intent on comparing DA:I to Skyrim.

There's an absolute ton of things about the format and design of that game that separates it from how Bethesda games work. It takes more than a game having a more open level design for it to be trying to ape after Skyrim.

What happened there was rather Bioware pivoting on the feedback to how cramped the level design in DA2 was, and the amount of reuse of locations there.
    Last edited by zealo; 2021-02-26 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    I seriously don't understand why so many people are so intent on comparing DA:I to Skyrim.

There's an absolute ton of things about the format and design of that game that separates it from how Bethesda games work. It takes more than a game having a more open level design for it to be trying to ape after Skyrim.

What happened there was rather Bioware pivoting on the feedback to how cramped the level design in DA2 was, and the amount of reuse of locations there.
    ... because I'm pretty sure they themselves stated it as a sort of goal. to have a more open world with all kinds of stuff to do with it ala Skyrim. there you go. https://gamerant.com/dragon-age-inqu...ep-rpg-skyrim/

and yes it does take more, which is why DAI, let alone Andromeda's take on it didn't quite work.