the world gets very boring after a while, the whole map besides a few caves looks almost identical with the same structures and environments, and only about 3 different enemies types and 3 or so different bosses in the world

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Mass Effect Andromeda got 70 Metacritic and that was bad enough to kill the IP and the studio.
    Well, now it's down to 61 on press side, and 2,4 on user side.

I think we've gone past the "not looking good" point by now.

After playing something like division 2 beta and now playing this I realize how much all the excessive loading screens kills my enjoyment, you can't even do basic stuff like pick up new missions, swap/inspect gear or anything like that without having loading screens for litteraly everything

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Mass Effect Andromeda got 70 Metacritic and that was bad enough to kill the IP and the studio.
    ME:A was also bug riddled meme fest. It was condensed bad PR, even if the game was not stellar it was still more than okay if you looked at it objectively. If the fem-shep nutters would open up a bit and pick the male ryder, then even the cutscenes were easily bearable.

Anthem is mostly just people being disapointed. Not to mention that Anthem is not a game, it's a macrotransaction storefront masquerading as a game. They can still wring money out of it, even if the inital launch wasn't successful. That is why this will probably not kill the IP and the studio immedeatly, though it certainly kills my hope for future bioware games.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2019-02-22 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    at least owen sounds fuckin sexy
    They really did do a good job with the voice acting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Are you claiming reviews are paid for when an EA published game bombs with them? You realize that makes no sense right? If reviews could be bought, every EA game would be 8/10 minumum.
    Paid is paid. What seems to be the most common result is that they want to rush their review to get it out before giving the game a chance in order to make money. First is a known factor for getting people to look at your content. Often times they don't even play the game all the way through, or even at all, in order to make this happen. There have been many cases where review sites just read someone else's post, or watched a video, then scored it based on that.

The point being that these sites are not objective and not fair to many products. And metacritic is the worst, because it doesn't even take into account WHY those scores are the way they are, or how the individual rating systems work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    And yes, reviews matter a hell of a lot for sales whether you like it or not. The NPD guys proved this by showing the massive spike in preorders of GoW when it's review scores came out and it was hovering around 96 MC.
    Did you miss the part where I said: "The sad thing is, you're probably right."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    dont opinion shame.
    WTF did I just read?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post

I think it's well deserved. The thing is raw and open bleeding wound. In between technical issues, lack of content there I'd give it a 5/10. Chiefly for it being pretty and flying being nice even if restricted.

I just hope Bioware does not get closed over this and will get an opportunity to redeem itself in next DA.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2019-02-22 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Anthem is not a game, it's a macrotransaction storefront masquerading as a game.
    Are you high? There's ONE store, and all it sells is cosmetics that are actually reasonably priced compared to the rate of in-game currency you generate. It's not in any other menus. I haven't had any popups or prompts blocking me from the game unless I click to the store. FFS, even the NPC out front of the cosmetic store gets a pretty decent story and background that you don't even have to listen to!

Anthem is not as good as it could be, for sure. But holy shit the amount of uninformed, biased, unfounded hate its getting is way out of proportion for what the game actually is. Battlefront 2 was a storefront with a game-skin on it. Anthem isn't anywhere near that.

I get it. You don't like the game. But there's no need to make up bullshit and smear it everywhere.

EDIT: God...I'm defending an EA game. WTF is wrong with the world? o_O
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2019-02-22 at 09:48 AM.

I preordered instead of EA access. The game launched at noon today, my refund was approved at 12:05

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Are you high? There's ONE store, and all it sells is cosmetics that are actually reasonably priced compared to the rate of in-game currency you generate. It's not in any other menus. I haven't had any popups or prompts blocking me from the game unless I click to the store. FFS, even the NPC out front of the cosmetic store gets a pretty decent story and background that you don't even have to listen to!

Anthem is not as good as it could be, for sure. But holy shit the amount of uninformed, biased, unfounded hate its getting is way out of proportion for what the game actually is.
    The game is built as live service game. Are you really that naive to think this will be all? Especially after the newest fad is to launch with these stores light and then expand them later more and more.

Ah I can't take you serious after all.. "decent story for the cosmetic shop NPC".. I'm dying of laughter atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post

That's awesome that people are blindly trusting day-one reviews, which are 99% of the time wrong (in whatever direction). That's the case for games, movies, everything, Day one reviews are complete bullshit, especially if we're talking about a game you have no way to know what the endgame is about.

But I guess that's a normal thing in this era where the Kardashians are "models" and random youtubers/streamers are considered "influencers".

World of Warcraft would get a straight 0 if it came out in 2019, because its leveling sucks. But that will never tell you if the endgame-content is worth it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    The game is built as live service game. Are you really that naive to think this will be all? Especially after the newest fad is to launch with these stores light and then expand them later more and more.
    So you're hating on a game for something that hasn't even happened yet. And somehow I'M the one to not be taken seriously?

How about you judge on what's actually happening instead of creating reasons to hate out of thin air?

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    That's awesome that people are blindly trusting day-one reviews, which are 99% of the time wrong (in whatever direction). That's the case for games, movies, everything, Day one reviews are complete bullshit, especially if we're talking about a game you have no way to know what the endgame is about.

But I guess that's a normal thing in this era where the Kardashians are "models" and random youtubers/streamers are considered "influencers".

World of Warcraft would get a straight 0 if it came out in 2019, because its leveling sucks. But that will never tell you if the endgame-content is worth it or not.
    Its pretty easy to know what the endgame is about when most people are already 450 full gear after a week and done all content in the game besides running the same stuff on a harder difficulty that adds no extra benefit besides some higher % to get gear you already got

day 1 reviews are totally fair because they are reviewing what the game is NOW, not what "potential" it has to be in 1 year
    Last edited by apelsinjuice; 2019-02-22 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by apelsinjuice View Post
    Its pretty easy to know what the endgame is about when most people are already 450 full gear after a week and done all content in the game besides running the same stuff on a harder difficulty that adds no extra benefit besides some higher % to get gear you already got
    I don't care whether that's justified or not. I was talking about the reviews and saying "okay this game sucks because 61/2.4 on Metacritic" is just sad. It would also be sad if it was rated 100 and you would blindly assume it was the most perfect game you will love (maybe you won't).

None of the reviews are relevant. It could have a 99 rating or 9.7/10 user review, it would be as worthless too.
    Most of the "0" reviews are "long loading screens" or "Can't wait to EA go bankrupt" (that's literally the "most helpful Review" on Metacritic). [Edit: waw, there are even "micro-transactions filled game" reviews. Lol]

I'll play that game and make my own mind.
    Last edited by Ophenia; 2019-02-22 at 10:01 AM.

Here's the big difference between Anthem and Fallout 76 when it comes to reviews:

If, you ignore all the bugs and issues. As people keep saying you should do about Anthem, then in straight comparison, Fallout 76 is a significantly more complete experience, with more to do and no need for simple difficulty scaling.

Yikes: The Video Game

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apelsinjuice View Post

day 1 reviews are totally fair because they are reviewing what the game is NOW, not what "potential" it has to be in 1 year
    Exactly this and I highly doubt that 3 months down the road we will have anything more to do. It will likely be some another activity or two revolving around defeating same bunch of enemies we already ground to death.

There is some promise that more stuff comes, maybe new faction, but that's only a promise, same as was made in ME:A which then all got scrapped.

Honestly at this point the most exciting thing they can reasonably do fast is making Interceptor and Ranger up to par with Colossus and Storm. Ranger is basically a shitty version of Colossus and Interceptor is simply unable to do what it's supposed to do best as soon as you turn difficulty up, leaving it as a shell without purpose.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2019-02-22 at 10:04 AM.

The problem this game is going to face is, it will take a lot of abuse for the first 6 months and then when the "free" update drops everyone will praise it for fixing everything and forget the struggle it had. the Vets / Vanilla players will still tell stories of how hard they had it but it's the story of destiny 1 and 2, Division and even world of warcraft...even fortnite.

Quote Originally Posted by setsuna f seiei View Post
    The problem this game is going to face is, it will take a lot of abuse for the first 6 months and then when the "free" update drops everyone will praise it for fixing everything and forget the struggle it had. the Vets / Vanilla players will still tell stories of how hard they had it but it's the story of destiny 1 and 2, Division and even world of warcraft...even fortnite.
    So, basically, people keep paying full price for an incomplete product that needs at least 1 more year of development. Good for me then.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    So, basically, people keep paying full price for an incomplete product that needs at least 1 more year of development. Good for me then.
    What boggles my mind, is that Anthem was going to release last year. What kind of state would it have been in at that point?

And I must agree, I don't understand the concept of defending a fully priced game being released, with the argument of "it might be a little more finished in 3-12 months time".

Have the days of Shareware gaming returned?

Addendum for the kids that don't know what Shareware is:

Doom 1 (1993~) released a free shareware preview essentially before the full game was finished. You could play all of Chapter one, Knee Deep In The Dead. It was a good taster of the game to come and got people hooked immediately. It was also free, with people only generally selling it to others to cover the cost of the floppy disk it came on.
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2019-02-22 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    What boggles my mind, is that Anthem was going to release last year. What kind of state would it have been in at that point?

And I must agree, I don't understand the concept of defending a fully priced game being released, with the argument of "it might be a little more finished in 3-12 months time".

Have the days of Shareware gaming returned?

Addendum for the kids that don't know what Shareware is:

Doom 1 (1993~) released a free shareware preview essentially before the full game was finished. You could play all of Chapter one, Knee Deep In The Dead. It was a good taster of the game to come and got people hooked immediately. It was also free, with people only generally selling it to others to cover the cost of the floppy disk it came on.
    In my mind, things evolve more or less like this:
    - production costs skyrocketed over the years and companies need to recover that money while a standard 60$ upfront price isn't enough anymore
    - the game gets planned and developed until they burn out more or less all the funds to justify said 60$ price, then released independently from the actual status on the pipeline
    - if the game proves to be good by players, and revenue is good, then more money is invested to it trying to bring it in a more complete state and monetizing everything they can (shops, microtx, dlcs, season passes)
    - if the game is bad, the company has made money anyway with the upfront sales while investing just the money needed for it, cutting all support to avoid losses and investing on a new project that follows the same scheme all over.

Basically: invest the less possible for max profits. They don't really know what players want so they put an embryo-game to testing from players, and try to make it better/more profitable following the data they get from it. Otherwise they kill it.

Back in the days, failed projects got the axe BEFORE getting released. But i suppose proper quality control is a huge cost that can be cut since there are plenty of people willing to do it and actually pay to do it. reason why i stopped buying games at release, only exceptions WoW because i'm just hooked forever and Destiny 2 because i fell for the trap.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.