Quote Originally Posted by Darleth View Post
    ME2 had different ammo types specific to certain classes which you could activate as an ability. Cryo Ammo gave the chance to freeze, so bullets and in general "physical" damage dealt more damage or were able to outright shatter enemies, Disruptor Ammo was good against shielded and synthetic (Geth) enemies, which could also overheat enemies weapons and Incendiary Ammo was good against armor and enemies that healed themselves passively (Krogans for example which had extra life regen) and it also had a semi-CC effect of enemies panicking because they are burning. Those are the 3 main ones that at least were in the base game without any DLCs or extra unlock requirements. Other ammo types were Shredder Ammo, that just increased your weapon damage by a huge amount against organic enemies, Warp Ammo that dealt extra damage to enemies that got hit by Bionic abilities and Armor-Piercing Ammo which was pretty much the same as Shredder Ammo, just better at dealing with Synthetic or Robot enemies and, obviously, armored ones.

Weapon wise there were a few different ones. You had your standard weapons which dealt normal bullet (physical) damage, then there were things like the M920 Cain which was a Nuke, the Arc projector which shot a lightning beam and the collector particle beam. Those were the only true outlier for ME2; dont remember anything from ME3.

Also in ME2 you had different combos with Bionics and Tech abilities.
    Cool, thanks for the added info. May have to go back and check out the earlier ME games some time. Who has the time these days though......sigh

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGa.../?context=1000

Dear /u/Darthchrisshaw I just wanted to pop in here and apologize for a terrible player experience that I am directly responsible for. As the Stronghold lead the buck stops with me. I can offer explanations but at the end of the day, that doesn't change the experience.

What I really want to do is come in here and explain what we are doing about this so you don't continue to suffer these situations in the Strongholds.

We've disabled every "backtracking" fog wall in the Temple of Scar and Heart of Rage. So as of the next patch, forgive me for not having the exact dates as I'm at home, it should be the next scheduled patch in March. Internally it's called 1.0.4. So once that patch lands you should never run into this situation again in either of those strongholds. (This is different from forward-blocking fog walls which are necessary, those remain in place.) I'm not currently aware of any back-tracking issues in Tyrant Mine, but please call me on it if I'm missing an issue.

Going forward we won't be using these types of setups unless they are for some reason mission critical to the mission. I've yet to see a mission-critical backtracking fog wall so my expectation is that you'll almost never run into this again. And if you do it's likely a bug.

We will continue to strip these out of the existing content as we move forward with continued bug fixing and quality of life improvements. I can't offer specific timelines for when we'll have a complete pass on the game at this time.

Until the patch lands, if you end up in this situation bring up your map and hold down LS (Left Stick) on the controller or Y on your keyboard, this will respawn you and should put you on the correct side of the fog wall. I have yet to see this fail to respawn you in the correct location.

Again I want to reinforce none of this is an excuse and I truly do apologize that we weren't able to correct this prior to launch or until now. I can only promise we will do better by you and the community in the future and try to win your trust back.
    "I've carefully played this game to an endless despair"

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post

Get past the name and you have a video from a guy who wants to like this game based on pedigree. And the only person I've bothered to listen talk about Anthem.
    Gotta spread that outrage so YouTube scrubs can get views.
    Absurd yes. But so is saying the game is awful because Yong says so.
    Do you, person that claims to like the game while posting negative reviews and adding to the meme complaints?
    Who cares if Bioware dies? Metacritic scores on Andromeda mean they deserve to fail.
    And Anthem is a shit game by a shit developer. It's not an opinion
    And I wouldn't even take a game I think is shit. I actually have tastes.
    I'd play it randomly if someone gifted it. I don't even want to rent it, much less buy it.
    Could you imagine not liking a game so much, you follow it and post reviews? I'd go do something else if I didn't like the game. Besides, the people who don't like the game will never like it. So, that's just as tainted as the person who can't admit any fault for an even handed review.
    Kept awake knowing you are dedicated to a game you admitted you don't like.
    Hahaha. Good luck with that. Myobi and Eleccy have clearly established the precedent of shitting on games you have no interest in playing.
    Wow. The fucking irony is amazing.
    What can I say, I'm sort of an obsessed person

But hey, thanks for sharing the video mate, it's a pretty nice take on it.

Weapon wise there were a few different ones. You had your standard weapons which dealt normal bullet (physical) damage, then there were things like the M920 Cain which was a Nuke, the Arc projector which shot a lightning beam and the collector particle beam. Those were the only true outlier for ME2; dont remember anything from ME3.

Also in ME2 you had different combos with Bionics and Tech abilities.
    Interesting that past Bioware games like Mass Effect were more about Gunplay, Guns IMO felt like they had more of an Impact in ME2 and 3, there seems like there was also much more nuance in level design in ME games in general vs Anthem's Map Design where IMO just feels like a mess.

Anthem just feels off in general when it comes to gunplay and in a game where Gunplay plays a big part in Anthem it should really feel as good as ME2 or ME3 if not better. The Impact and Sound Effects of the E3 Anthem trailer sounded and looked better IMO.
    Last edited by szechuan; 2019-03-14 at 06:21 AM.
    Americans are the Chinese of the west. The main reason people tolerate them is because they are too big to ignore.

Bill Nye is not the GOP type of guy. He is a science guy. Trumpers think science is a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Though ME had some awesome enemies, Phantoms are making my blood boil with blocking bullets with biotics, having invisibility and having a 1hit K.O impale if you mess up and let them come close.

Dem phantoms.

Some combo with netcode and AI behavior. I wouldnt get near phantoms as a vanguard unless I was host. Even non-vanguard I would keep distance dependant on how smooth the server was responding. I've had phantoms shooting another player and then next I know I am sync killed. Netcode was still shit with Andromeda while the sync kill behavior was slightly better. That said I have falcon punched a number when I was host as payback.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Man, I don't get all the "Frostbite is bad" complaints.
    Frostbite seems to work just fine. Sure, it was designed initially for FPS titles but it's proven highly versatile.
    It's fatal flaw appears to be you can't update any info once a map is loaded. It's essentially a blackbox. This is why nobody can join a mission once its been started and why nobody can backfill a freeroam session once someone leaves. Why you can't tell what loot you have until you leave, can't check your inventory, and can't update your equipment, can't chain missions, etc. while in free roam or in a mission... you have to load the module already populated with that information. It may even be why there are no waypoint or ping system.

(Ironically enough, if they had included a chat system, they could have potentially hacked around that problem then by having a hidden chat channel that your client polled for new waypoint/ping info etc.)

@Myobi

Indeed you are. Welp, I guess that's what I expect from people who are extremely mad Anthem isn't being loved.

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    It's fatal flaw appears to be you can't update any info once a map is loaded. It's essentially a blackbox. This is why nobody can join a mission once its been started and why nobody can backfill a freeroam session once someone leaves. Why you can't tell what loot you have until you leave, can't check your inventory, and can't update your equipment, can't chain missions, etc. while in free roam or in a mission... you have to load the module already populated with that information. It may even be why there are no waypoint or ping system.
    Mmh, I think I've seen a lot of people joining/leaving/joining the Freeplay sessions. That's a bit hard to track though without auto-grouping.

I have the feeling Freeplay was simply not finished or maybe they didn't think it would be a main activity in the long run so they didn't flush it out (and the Ping/Waypoint would not be really needed in Strongholds, unless to mark a specific enemy). A lot of basic functionalities are not implemented and that hinders the whole concept.
    I don't even understand how the indicators for the other players are working when you're not grouped with them. You see their name tags when they're immediately next to you, then the name tag disappears when they're a bit too far away (you only see their "shapes" behind obstacles), but when they're REALLY far away, the name tags comes back.

For me the strict minimum to make Freeplay not a mess would be:
    - Auto-grouping instead of having to go through 75 layers of options to invite someone.
    - Any kind of information that someone in your group has started a world event. Either in the Squad HUD, an incoming transmission from Faye, the Marker being visible for everyone as soon as someone starts it, anything.
    - Better indication of where your mates are.. Name indicators are fine, but they don't tell you if they're 20m or 20km away.
    Last edited by Ophenia; 2019-03-14 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yasiru View Post
    Cool, thanks for the added info. May have to go back and check out the earlier ME games some time. Who has the time these days though......sigh
    I should say that ME1 and then ME2 and 3 play VERY differently to each other. ME2 and 3 are pretty similar in gameplay, while ME1 it wasn't that well thought out yet. I'd say ME1 is more about the story, world and characters and those are it's strongest points, while the combat is, imo, very lacking. Especially the balance between classes and abilities isn't that great. ME2 slowly became more of an action game, it was similar to Gears of War in its playstyle, but it's very well done and, also this is just my opinion, the last time Bioware did a good story and made good, likeable and even interesting characters - compaired with the gameplay mechanics it was the best Mass Effect game that came out. ME3 had the same playstyle with a LOT of improvements, but the story etc. was it weakest point for the series... also that ending without the "directors cut" free DLC was just nonsense and even with it, it isn't the greatest ending for a story that evolved over 3 games, which is why I say ME3 is probably the weakest in its story department but the best in the gameplay.

Ontopic: watched that IHE video, pretty much my opinion about the game since day 1. Besides him not going to deep into endgame for various reasons, his review is pretty much spot on for most of anthems content. His Destiny reviews were also pretty good.
    Sometimes streaming on Twitch.tv, leave me a follow or a message if you like!

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    *tips m'fedora*

M'lady if you would be so kind to slob me knob seeing as I held this door open for you.

I have no clue about Frostbite woes, but really - you have a ton of games based on it that don't stumble over their own legs.

I think it's on Bioware and I am pretty sure engine choice is their choice too and not EA, because EA cares about bottom line and if Bioware would come out and say that with Unreal engine they would put the thing out of the door in 4 years and it would be easier to maintain and evolve, while with Frostbite it would take more time and effort and $$ - EA would not say a word.

- - - Updated - - -

I should say that ME1 and then ME2 and 3 play VERY differently to each other. ME2 and 3 are pretty similar in gameplay, while ME1 it wasn't that well thought out yet. I'd say ME1 is more about the story, world and characters and those are it's strongest points, while the combat is, imo, very lacking. Especially the balance between classes and abilities isn't that great. ME2 slowly became more of an action game, it was similar to Gears of War in its playstyle, but it's very well done and, also this is just my opinion, the last time Bioware did a good story and made good, likeable and even interesting characters - compaired with the gameplay mechanics it was the best Mass Effect game that came out. ME3 had the same playstyle with a LOT of improvements, but the story etc. was it weakest point for the series... also that ending without the "directors cut" free DLC was just nonsense and even with it, it isn't the greatest ending for a story that evolved over 3 games, which is why I say ME3 is probably the weakest in its story department but the best in the gameplay.
    Completely agree on this ME outlook. ME2 is truly the granddaddy of what we see in Anthem combat-wise. ME1 greatest achievement is that it had to build a whole new world from scratch and it managed to pull it off nicely, but combat was not its strongest suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Completely agree on this ME outlook. ME2 is truly the granddaddy of what we see in Anthem combat-wise. ME1 greatest achievement is that it had to build a whole new world from scratch and it managed to pull it off nicely, but combat was not its strongest suit.
    Exactly. It just threw you into the world, with you having no clue what the fuck is going on, but slowly expanded on it during the game in a good pace. If you take a look at how ME1 starts, it just starts with "oh this colony gets attacked, we gotta help them" and then you find out a lot of weird shit is going on in the universe. Then comes anthem a good 11 or 12 years later and just explains EVERYTHING to you in the first 5 minutes of gameplay. ME1 was definitely about the journey, about the world itself and finding things out for yourself.

Some of the things present in Anthems gameplay were either in ME2 already YEARS ago or are somewhat copied from other games like destiny. Most things that were in ME2 evolved through ME3 and Andromeda and you can see a lot of it in Anthem, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

*tips m'fedora*

M'lady if you would be so kind to slob me knob seeing as I held this door open for you.

Fixed my crashes by upgrading from 8GB DDR3 RAM to 16GB.

Some of the things present in Anthems gameplay were either in ME2 already YEARS ago or are somewhat copied from other games like destiny. Most things that were in ME2 evolved through ME3 and Andromeda and you can see a lot of it in Anthem, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    Except in Anthem shooting doesn't feel as good as it does in Mass Effect Games.

Bioware knows to make interesting and different weaponry little to none of it made it over to the uninspired Anthem.

Anthem should of played more ME: Andromeda IMO and instead of the making a clobbered together confusing world design made for an over glorified Flying Traversal areas.
    Last edited by szechuan; 2019-03-14 at 10:43 AM.
    Americans are the Chinese of the west. The main reason people tolerate them is because they are too big to ignore.

Bill Nye is not the GOP type of guy. He is a science guy. Trumpers think science is a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post

Bioware knows to make interesting and different weaponry none of it found in Anthem.
    Yeah, not disagreeing with you here. Every weapon is basically the same, even their models are SLIGHTLY different colors; the base is ALWAYS the same. Mass Effect had weapons which were similar in design, but were still different enough. The only thing that I have to give anthem is it's sound design of some of the weapons; some of them sound VERY good, but this alone won't make a weapon "great".

*tips m'fedora*

Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post

Bioware knows to make interesting and different weaponry little to none of it made it over to the uninspired Anthem.

Anthem should of played more ME: Andromeda IMO and instead of the making a clobbered together confusing world design made for an over glorified Flying Traversal areas.
    That's the shit I'm talking about. Where have custom weapon mods, ammo and frikkin' melee weapons gone? I just don't understand.

The more I think about it, the more I consider that them taking ME:A multiplayer as base and making some sort of side ME game centered around that with stronger multiplayer coop missions would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    It's fatal flaw appears to be you can't update any info once a map is loaded. It's essentially a blackbox. This is why nobody can join a mission once its been started and why nobody can backfill a freeroam session once someone leaves.
    Isn't that quickplay?

ME3 had the same playstyle with a LOT of improvements, but the story etc. was it weakest point for the series...
    I disagree. I think the story of ME3 was great right until the end, up to marauder shields. IMO the ME2 story was very weak, the collectors and a human reaper... all that screamed filler content.

I think I might have played a different Mass Effect series. I remember what was basically a cover based shooter that you could pause to use your own or your squads RPG abilities. It wasn't bad but it was pretty basic and felt like a bit of a slog on the longer sequences. ME1 could be pretty clunky, ME2 felt too stripped back and ME3 found a sweet spot. Admittedly I never played Andromeda but the first 3 definitely didn't compare to the dynamic play style of Anthem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    I disagree. I think the story of ME3 was great right until the end, up to marauder shields. IMO the ME2 story was very weak, the collectors and a human reaper... all that screamed filler content.
    ME2's plot was weak but it worked as a vehicle for some fantastic character development. ME3 did a brilliant job letting you right the wrongs in the galaxy like the Geth/Quarian conflict and the genophage but the cosmic-horror they set it against meant you needed a (quite literal) deus ex machina to cap it off, though I did appreciate the parallels with the ending to the Foundation series.

@Myobi

Indeed you are. Welp, I guess that's what I expect from people who are extremely mad Anthem isn't being loved.
    I highly recommend you checking my posts before making such obvious bullshit up to defend your own hypocrisy.

Also, hey, it's the least I could do for someone who insists on going to other threads just to talk about me

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    I highly recommend you checking my posts before making such obvious bullshit up to defend your own hypocrisy.

Also, hey, it's the least I could do for someone who insists on going to other threads just to talk about me
    I'm sorry. Why did you get mad that I stated the real fact you posted Yong videos and then complained about people posting Yong videos on this game?

And that's adorable. I guess I shouldn't be talking about your hypocrisy. Dats mean.

I'm sorry. Why did you get mad that I stated the real fact you posted Yong videos and then complained about people posting Yong videos on this game?

And that's adorable. I guess I shouldn't be talking about your hypocrisy. Dats mean.
    Really? That’s what you got from it? That I’m mad because you said that I posted a YouTube video? Rofl, no dude, don’t be silly, I have no problem admitting it, and not just from Yong Yea, I’ve also posted plenty of videos from others such as Angry Joe & Jim Sterling.

What I find absolutely hilarious, is that you were talking crap about people for posting that sort of video over the Fallout 76 thread, just to come here, to a video game thread that you’ve deemed a “shit game by a shit developer” to do the very same thing, I mean, what happened to the “I'd go do something else if I didn't like the game”? … and why would you just “play it randomly if someone gifted it” if you “wouldn't even take a game I think is shit. I actually have tastes.”?

I’m I “mad” about it? Lol, no, but I understand the reason why you want to paint it that way, but I can assure you that I’m having a lot of fun watching you tripping on your own bullshit with every post you make, either way, please, go ahead, talk about whatever you wish mate, just make sure you back up your accusations this time, otherwise you’ll just further prove my point.

Edited: Add the amount of times you've mentioned my nickname to your signature as well mate