Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Yeah, it's better than the current state but still pretty shit. It just amazes me that a loot-based game has such significant issues with loot right out of the gate. It's deeply concerning for the future of the game, because while there are a lot of fantastic gameplay systems (flying is amazing, combat is solid, abilities are rad etc. etc.) a lot of the associated systems (loot, customization, etc.) are in need of a whole lot of work.

I'm increasingly getting to the point where I'd totally support them shutting the game down for a month or two to do some serious under-the-hood work and then relaunching. Because it's going to be them limping (albeit pretty quickly, thankfully) to the state the game should have been in at launch, which isn't a terribly good look for the game either. At least if they pulled it down for a bit they'd have a lot more flexibility in terms of tearing down and rebuilding things that aren't working without needing to worry about breaking the live game completely.
    I personally understand why they do that. That sucks having a legendary, and because of poor inscriptions, you don't even consider equipping it because it is a net loss. I have got a Legendary Component but with poor affixes, I have the same component in Masterworks with +23% Ultimate cooldown recovery. I've equipped the legendary for the damage boost.

As long as the "overall damage boost" based on the powerlevel is low, I accept it. I've already sacrificed two slots equipping MW instead of legendaries because they feel better / have better inscriptions.

What I think they should do instead of this scaling, is increase the "specific" trait of the masterworks/legendary. If the Masterworks gives you +XX% while hovering, make it twice on the legendary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it's better than the current state but still pretty shit. It just amazes me that a loot-based game has such significant issues with loot right out of the gate. It's deeply concerning for the future of the game, because while there are a lot of fantastic gameplay systems (flying is amazing, combat is solid, abilities are rad etc. etc.) a lot of the associated systems (loot, customization, etc.) are in need of a whole lot of work.
    Seems like they are hellbent to remake all the same mistakes others made long before them and I don't think players want that omelette.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Seems like they are hellbent to remake all the same mistakes others made long before them and I don't think players want that omelette.
    Yeah, I'm getting all kinds of Bungie flashbacks to, "So...did anyone on the development team play their competitors games or any similar games within the genre, or look to the mistakes/lessons the developers of those games made/learned?"

It seems like they have all the best intentions and are genuinely trying, but that there's just huge gaps of knowledge/experience with these types of games that are causing these problems. Which blows my damn mind.

Again though, their saving grace right now is that they're clearly busting ass to try to fix things quickly. Even if not everything goes as planned and it will never be fast enough for many players.

I'm increasingly getting to the point where I'd totally support them shutting the game down for a month or two to do some serious under-the-hood work and then relaunching. Because it's going to be them limping (albeit pretty quickly, thankfully) to the state the game should have been in at launch, which isn't a terribly good look for the game either. At least if they pulled it down for a bit they'd have a lot more flexibility in terms of tearing down and rebuilding things that aren't working without needing to worry about breaking the live game completely.
    You can't do that without refunding the people who actually bought a copy of the game. So thats definitely not happening.

- - - Updated - - -

Again though, their saving grace right now is that they're clearly busting ass to try to fix things quickly. Even if not everything goes as planned and it will never be fast enough for many players.
    They should have busted their asses before the release, not release anyway and expect people to wait around until they finally manage to get the most basic things of their game right.

15+ Year Old Account
    If only there was a system where there were numbers on it say, stats, and better equipment gave you more stats so your damage would increase so each individual piece of gear is more meaningful. But who would ever do that?

Yeah, I'm getting all kinds of Bungie flashbacks to, "So...did anyone on the development team play their competitors games or any similar games within the genre, or look to the mistakes/lessons the developers of those games made/learned?"

It seems like they have all the best intentions and are genuinely trying, but that there's just huge gaps of knowledge/experience with these types of games that are causing these problems. Which blows my damn mind.
    Now that I think about it, the one time in my life when I played the fewest games was when I worked for a game company. The general hours and pace are so much that it is actually hard to keep up and play other games seriously. Not to mention that you usually want to do something different with the little free time you do have. I ended up deciding that I'd rather have a 9-5 job and be able to raid a couple nights a week, rather than make games and never be able to commit to a raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    If only there was a system where there were numbers on it say, stats, and better equipment gave you more stats so your damage would increase so each individual piece of gear is more meaningful. But who would ever do that?
    You should get a patent on that idea. Nobody has ever done this before :-)

That's pretty much what the power level does, just pretend it's called agility or whatever.

Except that's exactly how it works? Equip 11 pieces of epic gear and you'll do less damage than someone who equips 11 pieces of MW gear... Yes, there is a bug where if you have a level 1 item or no item equipped things will not scale correctly. This is confirmed fixed for the 1.0.4 patch.

The scaling change and the generosity hotfix basically mean you're hunting for legendary pieces rather than MW pieces. This is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    Except that's exactly how it works? Equip 11 pieces of epic gear and you'll do less damage than someone who equips 11 pieces of MW gear... Yes, there is a bug where if you have a level 1 item or no item equipped things will not scale correctly. This is confirmed fixed for the 1.0.4 patch.

The scaling change and the generosity hotfix basically mean you're hunting for legendary pieces rather than MW pieces. This is ok.
    He's saying he wants to see numbers on a statistics page I guess.

I don't feel the need for that (same as for people who want to know every single loot % or stuff like that), but I understand the request. I don't miss this personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    That's pretty much what the power level does, just pretend it's called agility or whatever.
    So it basically reduces everything down to a single stat....in a loot based game.

Exciting : |

(that's also not what VG is talking about, they're talking about a more robust system that actually shows you your stats so you can better compare gear to see if things are actually an upgrade or not based on your build, potentially even directly telling you how much of an upgrade individual stats may be a la Diablo 3).

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    He's saying he wants to see numbers on a statistics page I guess.

I don't feel the need for that (same as for people who want to know every single loot % or stuff like that), but I understand the request. I don't miss this personally.
    No he's taking a shot at the scaling thing and misrepresenting a bug as intended behavior.

A stats screen is needed.

The game released before it was ready. This doesn't change the fact that it's fun.

15+ Year Old Account
    So it basically reduces everything down to a single stat....in a loot based game.

(that's also not what VG is talking about, they're talking about a more robust system that actually shows you your stats so you can better compare gear to see if things are actually an upgrade or not based on your build, potentially even directly telling you how much of an upgrade individual stats may be a la Diablo 3).
    This

But also if you take a piece of gear off and do more damage, bug or not because bfa had this problem too, is beyond stupid

And abilities being tied to gear is why i dont like poe either

And abilities being tied to gear is why i dont like poe either
    Well, then loot based games aren't probably going to be your thing since that's sorta a big part of the loot in these games >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    You can't do that without refunding the people who actually bought a copy of the game. So thats definitely not happening.
    Why would they NEED to refund if they're closing down temporarily? Be more open to those who ask for refunds during this time, but it shouldn't be a requirement if the plan is to come back up. The folks who payed will have access to it when it's back online.

They should have busted their asses before the release, not release anyway and expect people to wait around until they finally manage to get the most basic things of their game right.
    I get your point, but that's not how it happened. They have to deal with things the way they are now and try to fix it, and those who want to play the game need to deal with it while they fix it. Yeah it sucks, but that's how it is.

We'll have to wait and see how everything shakes out once/if they finally get their shit together and see how many players are still playing.

Seemed more like they were being flippant for the lulz ^.^

There is more stats on gear, your overall item level boosts melee and ultimate damage. Stats on gear can boost damage from certain types of weapon, all weapons, all damage, reduce cool downs or less fighty things like ammo/health drops, booster duration etc.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, then loot based games aren't probably going to be your thing since that's sorta a big part of the loot in these games >.>
    Diablo and wow dont have this problem

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Seemed more like they were being flippant for the lulz ^.^

There is more stats on gear, your overall item level boosts melee and ultimate damage. Stats on gear can boost damage from certain types of weapon, all weapons, all damage, reduce cool downs or less fighty things like ammo/health drops, booster duration etc.
    And those all feel pointless. Id rather have diablo stats

Not quite...
    Inscriptions still matter - Things like speed, item damage, suit damage, crit damage etc... all still effect things, just not as much as base damage.

Your base damage goes up, but your output is still affected by the inscriptions you have.

Basically the result of scaling and the loot generosity patch basically just means you're hunting for well rolled legendaries rather than well rolled Masterworks.

Can things be way more clear? Yes. Should the gap between MW and Legendary be toned down a bit more to allow more build diversity? Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    As you said, I'll agree that I don't really see much harm if the developers don't look at it, but then I don't see the point in posting it anyway. If the only reason you're posting is to be an asshole and vent, knowing or at least with the understanding that the developers aren't likely to look at it or take it seriously, why post? Just to vent? Seems pointless to me, and a waste of time.

You don't have anything better to do with your life besides post a basically meaningless post on an online forum? Obviously you have the right to spend your time as you want, I just don't see the point. There are better ways to vent your frustration if all you ant to do is cool off than posting on a forum being an asshole. As I stated, this is my opinion of course.
    Sometimes people have to vent when they feel wronged or scammed or any other number of things and they might not have anything better to do so, I say have at it these days. Send their time posting how they want. It's a forum so if they post at all its not all that bad. In this case they know the developers visit some places more than others. Might as well tell them how you feel about the anthem situation and all it's problems. bioware actually reading it must be happening now that I think about it or else we wouldn't have seen the reply from bioware themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Sometimes people have to vent when they feel wronged or scammed or any other number of things and they might not have anything better to do so, I say have at it these days. Send their time posting how they want. It's a forum so if they post at all its not all that bad. In this case they know the developers visit some places more than others. Might as well tell them how you feel about the anthem situation and all it's problems. bioware actually reading it must be happening now that I think about it or else we wouldn't have seen the reply from bioware themselves.
    People do need to vent... but at the same time the massive rage storm that happened over the past week was wholly inappropriate. Telling a developer to go fuck themselves, or copy/pasting the same message over and over again is awful.