Poll: Is modern WoW the same WoW you fell in love with?

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    No. Back when I first started playing WoW was a large world I had yet to explore, and questing through it felt a lot more like an adventure. It was all very new to me, so it was all very fresh. The last time I felt like that was in Wrath, when I had just entered the first zone in Northrend and knew a lot more laid beyond.

I like modern WoW, but I don't expect it to overwhelm me with a sense of wonder like it did back then.
    Blizzard still manages to get me giddy about new expansions, though, so there's that.
    Last edited by Theoris; 2017-06-18 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    As for the people enjoying the game without complaining, those people don't know better. They just can't phantom something better because this is all they ever experienced.
    I've played City of Heroes, Ultima Online, Lineage II, Star Wars: The Old Republic, TERA, Wildstar and others I don't recall off the top of my head. Your argument is invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    I've played City of Heroes, Ultima Online, Lineage II, Star Wars: The Old Republic, TERA, Wildstar and others I don't recall off the top of my head. Your argument is invalid.
    My argument is invalid? ahah where is yours? don't make me laugh I have my mouth full

My argument is invalid? ahah where is yours? don't make me laugh I have my mouth full
    You said people that like WoW only like WoW because that's all they ever played.

Thankfully it's not the same. I am not the same either. It was a decade ago. Both I and WoW are grown up and much better now.
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Blizzard do what the players want all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    yes and no.

many things have changed, both in the game and in my life, that makes it a different experience. but the core attraction, large scale oganized co-op play against strong computer opponents (raiding), is still there and there still isn't any game that does it better or does it in a universe i like as much.
    This pretty much sums up my opinion on it as well.

7+ Year Old Account
    Its a mixed bag just like life, I've been playing for years...of course I'm going to feel different. As everyone would and rightfully should. Things evolve, things adapt and things change with the times.

You either accept that or think "this should be this way and only this way forever because I, one person out of millions like it like this and this is how it should be because I liked it that way" think of how stupid that sounds, and think of how so many people actually think that way

Look at marriages, people will feel differently about their spouse either more or less so in love after a couple years. Your big strong man, 5 years later has become a fat couch potato.
    Last edited by Evaddon; 2017-06-18 at 11:01 PM.

I fell in love with the social interactions, not the game itself. That is still the same, and luckily over time my tastes have matured.
    At the time, the content that was in the game was very freeform and poorly fleshed out but took a long time. This did not work well for me, and still doesn't to this day.
    I try to go back and enjoy Classic but there are just way too many flaws. The only thing I would say I miss for sure is the RPG elements the game once had, but almost everything else in the game is miles better then when I first started.
    If they could add a little more substance and challenge to leveling I will happily say the entire product is vastly superior.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Yes and no.

It's still WoW, the game I fell in love with 9 years ago and which ruined me for other games. Is it still the SAME as it was back then? No, in many ways it is not, and in most cases that's only enhanced the game tenfold.

I believe these forums are rife with people having fallen out of love with the game, if they ever loved it to begin with, and whom are blaming that process on everything but themselves changing as well.

I can tell you right now that if this game was still the exact same as when I started playing, in mechanics and all the rest, I wouldn't have lasted 9 years without ever breaking my sub train. A life without change can only be called experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    I love the design of WoW, now, in terms of class/spec playstyle and the (albeit bad) storytelling focus.

What I've fallen out of love with is the community. Being an outrageous dick to random people on the internet is only being further incentive by Blizzards lack of direction and moderation of their game. The developers, though, are people I've never enjoyed personally. Many of the most noteworthy developers (GC, holinka, celeston, ect) seem to think their vision of the game is just plain superior to everyone else's.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, of course it's different, ut it's hard to compare. First off, the game has changed A LOT. When I started there was no LFG/LFR. Guilds thus took on a lot of importance as it was much harder to PUG things if you wanted to do group content. The world felt huge - some of that was due to the slower leveling and lack of heirlooms etc. Some of it was because I was new. There were noticeable RPG elements to the game and more defined roles. There were also silly, terrible QoL issues (5 minute Blessings for Paladins...).

Now, of course, the world feels much smaller because an expansion only can ever give us a few new zones, not an entire world. Most of the friends with whom I played in Classic through LK are no longer playing or play sporadically. RPG elements are mostly gone and raids etc are only valued if they're the current tier.

Better? Worse? Yes. Both. It's one reason I'm currently unsubbed waiting for more content to come out but haven't quit finally, yet. The game has its attractions, but they'e wearing thinner as time goes on and since both it and I have changed, it's difficult to pin down which factors contribute to my opinion of it.

You said people that like WoW only like WoW because that's all they ever played.
    That is not what I said at all.......

That is not what I said at all.......
    Are you sure?
    As for the people enjoying the game without complaining, those people don't know better. They just can't phantom something better because this is all they ever experienced.
    Because it does sound exactly what you said.

Are you sure?

Because it does sound exactly what you said.
    You need to improve your comprehension skills mate, just sayin

Deleted
    Lol that's rich coming from the guy who attempts to use opinion pieces as facts.

Anyone who's actually read tikcol's posts in this thread should already know they're just trying to get a rise out of you and is trolling.
    Last edited by mmoccad4d490dd; 2017-06-19 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    Lol that's rich coming from the guy who attempts to use opinion pieces as facts.

Anyone who's actually read tikcol's posts in this thread should already know they're just trying to get a rise out of you and is trolling.

yea, like anyone would be fooled by that

What comprehension?

How does that not come off as what people are calling you out on? To me it sounds exactly like you saying "people who enjoy WoW only do so because they only ever experienced/played wow". What else should people be interpreting that as?

Me personally. I've played multiple MMOs going as far back as PSO on the Dreamcast. If I had to list my top 3 of all time then it would be these 3.

WoW.
    Phantasy Star Online
    FF14.

Me putting WoW at the top has nothing to do with being unable to "phantom anything better". It's because it made the biggest impact on me. I met most of my friends through it, I had the most fun raiding with them and more. PSO would be a close second because it's the first MMO I experienced and jumping into an online world with other players was a unique experience. Especially on a Dreamcast.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-06-19 at 02:23 PM.

It isn't but if it was the exact same game I would have left it a long time ago. The change comes with good and bads but it also keeps things fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    It isn't but if it was the exact same game I would have left it a long time ago. The change comes with good and bads but it also keeps things fresh.
    Ok here's a genuine question for people in this thread. Your post actually gave me the idea for it so thanks.

If WoW had kept to the Vanilla model of 40 man raiding, barely anyone seeing the raids and the mechanics/qol of Vanilla do you think it would still have millions of subs as it does today? Genuine question here.

Think carefully as well. There were even more accessible MMOs coming out after WoW so factor that in.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-06-19 at 03:51 PM.

It isn't the same, but it never could be as the nostalgia of vanilla wow can't be relived once it has gone. I still have fond memories of levelling through Silverpine Forest and getting rekt by the lvl 25 Elite mob roaming around. The atmosphere and community was so different and I miss it so much, but it was new and exciting then and even playing on a vanilla server would not be the same for me now