Thread: 7.2.5 Ret PvP

7.2.5 Ret PvP

Anyone have an opinion on what talents to take for Ret PvP as of the new patch? Specifically what is your new top PvP talent choice for bgs/arena?

Other than the fact that you're ALWAYS the first to die in the packed house Arena, then...idk...

Not really that bad with the changes so far. Sure we lose Lawbringer which dampens our cluster AoE potential. But new Hammer of Reckoning ensures we have miniburst for potential kills.

Though you might say Lawbringer's judgement duration nerf means we need to keep Judgement on CD. That is not the case well at least damage comparison wise since Templar's Verdict lost it's 30% PvP reduction. Hence, you should be doing more damage than before with judgement up.

Why bother? It's literally an epitome of no fun.

I agree it's no fun when a frost mage has it's eye on you. Or a Affliction lock ready to drop 3 UA on you and then drain. It is really bad in BGs when you get focused down, 2s and 3s it is still bearable.

While it was more fun WoD when it had a 'ranged' flavor to it, the build is solid and puts out solid burst when setup correctly .. Its good fun ..

Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    the build is solid
    what is actually solid about this patch' Retribution build ?

Play holy if you want to contribute to BG's. Play ret if you have some fetish of being kited.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Play holy if you want to contribute to BG's. Play ret if you have some fetish of being kited.
    Yeah hand of freedom needs another charge or something, especially in light of the hand of sanctuary nerf. Human ret still seems relatively fun because of the extra stun break.

The ret talent changes were just awful, but if you still want my opinion on talents:

FV always
    Zeal always
    FoJ always
    BoW usually, DH still vs melee cleaves
    JV if zero physical damage on the other team, E4E otherwise
    Auto-bubble always
    DP vs most things, Crusade vs melee cleaves or vs comps where you think you have literally no chance to win other than gibbing something in the opener

For honor talents:
    As a human and with Will of the Ashbringer, I usually run adapt, as gaining pressure at the start is essential. Relentless vs sub rogues/mages usually. Never really run trinket as ret.
    Sparring vs heavy physical, tossup between Hardiness and Reinforced as the default (Hardiness is seriously underrated)
    Jurisdiction nearly always, sometimes law and order if your partner lacks a slow
    Luminesence always (even after the nerf the other talents in this row are just god awful)
    On this row, I'm actually running Vengeance Aura more than BoSanc because a single CC break every 45s rarely is enough to do much, though Vengeance Aura is currently bugged last I checked (you don't get stacks if you get hit by the CC too. I got caught by a triple leg sweep and gained 0 stacks). Seraphim's blessing isn't good enough yet to take over either of the others imo.
    For the last row, Divine Punisher isn't that bad if you're training a single target all game, but Lawbringer is still the normal go to, hammer of reckoning sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wutangrza View Post
    The ret talent changes were just awful, but if you still want my opinion on talents:

FV always
    Zeal always
    FoJ always
    Auto-bubble always
    DP vs most things, Crusade vs melee cleaves or vs comps where you think you have literally no chance to win other than gibbing something in the opener

For honor talents:
    As a human and with Will of the Ashbringer, I usually run adapt, as gaining pressure at the start is essential. Relentless vs sub rogues/mages usually. Never really run trinket as ret.
    Sparring vs heavy physical, tossup between Hardiness and Reinforced as the default (Hardiness is seriously underrated)
    Jurisdiction nearly always, sometimes law and order if your partner lacks a slow
    Luminesence always (even after the nerf the other talents in this row are just god awful)
    On this row, I'm actually running Vengeance Aura more than BoSanc because a single CC break every 45s rarely is enough to do much, though Vengeance Aura is currently bugged last I checked (you don't get stacks if you get hit by the CC too. I got caught by a triple leg sweep and gained 0 stacks). Seraphim's blessing isn't good enough yet to take over either of the others imo.
    For the last row, Divine Punisher isn't that bad if you're training a single target all game, but Lawbringer is still the normal go to, hammer of reckoning sucks.
    Not sure about you Divine Punisher is bugged towards me and normally overcaps due to high haste even if it does proc. Lawbringer is OK but not as good as it was before. Hammer of Reckoning is more of a practicality problem as most still aren't used to it yet, the talent is however utterly useless if you can't survive anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Wutangrza View Post

FV always
    Zeal always
    FoJ always
    Auto-bubble always

For honor talents:
    As you discussed, being human provides the extra stun break, which when combined with the cc break from Ashbringer allows adaptation - this makes the spec somewhat fun due to good anti-cc: if I wasn't human I probably wouldn't be playing Ret. It's absolutely ridiculous to go another expansion with multiple talent rows with no real choices, yet again; and the mobility is a farce. Oh and being a go to train target for nearly a decade is getting a bit sad.